Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by welch »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Perfect official response from Sendgrid on firing Adria Richards:

http://blog.sendgrid.com/a-difficult-situation/
I agree, and when you compare it to playhaven's response, you see why, even when taking an unpopular action, being forthright about your reasons is important. A lot of people won't agree with sendgrid, but at least now, making shit up just got a lot harder.

windy

Post by windy »

cunt wrote:Chris Clarke threatening to ban, but not actually daring to was one of my favourite things about that thread. Is this the hill you want to die on? I'll totally check with PZ if its okay to ban you!!
I hadn't actually looked at that thread until now. Holy crap.
JAL @186 wrote:Exactly! Drinking (no matter the amount) = impairment = no ability to consent. Fall down drunk or not.

Falling down drunk or passed out shouldn’t be the limit on what impairs consent here.
Portia @218 wrote:
So we should never go out, have a drink and take someone home?
Or, in fact, have a drink at home over dinner with a significant other?
These are two very different scenarios. To the first: no, you shouldn’t have sex with someone when they’ve been imbibing intoxicating substances. Err on the side of caution not raping anyone, wouldn’t you think?
:shock: And people complained that Matt was overlooking some implications of the intoxication argument, LOL.

welch

Post by welch »

Dave wrote:
welch wrote: Another way of stating it: "There's playing devil's advocate, and being an asshole. The line between them is thin. If you aren't sure you can pull one off without becoming the other, think about it a bit more."
Your statement is completely reasonable, but reading her blog and the comments on the article where she proposed this, that is not what she meant. In the context of McEwan's article, its seems quite clear to me she means do not ever play devil's advocate; Playing devil's advocate is essentially "supporting the dominant paradigm" and you should NEVER, EVER DO THAT.

Meh. Im all for subverting the dominant paradigm, but I also support subverting the subversion. Its more fun that way.
Oh no, I agree with your interpretation. I think her statement is stupid, and counterproductive. As you point out, there's a real benefit in playing Devil's Advocate. But, it is really small, the difference between devil's advocate and asshole, and too many people claim the former while being the latter. If you have any doubt that you can pull it off, you probably shouldn't try.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

codelette wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Oh, I wondered when you'd bring this up, Codelette. As I told you at the time, and as is recorded in the court papers: that chocolate penis took me 30 minutes and third-degree burns to my Johnson to create. The least you could have done was try a little lick. I even offered to pull the hairs out for you before you tried it.

And no, that wasn't a strawberry. It was a choclatey cast of my left testicle, which also received severe burns in the manufacturing process. And just so you know, those little white dots on it weren't strawberry seeds.
Intent is not magic.

Prick. :x
Mmmmmm.....your gendered insults (lol). They make me so wet......

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:FUCK MY LIFE!
My comp died sometime last week and I've had to resort to catching up on the pit On a shitty fucking pad and its shite for typing on. As bad luck would have it I've never wanted to comment more than I do now. Nugent's bolog, donglegate, Bensons retreat into dementia and Myers being a wank are all so lulzworthy but I can't comment in comfort on this shitty pad.
Soz for shitty spelling and grammar but this heap of wanky dogshit is fucking crap for typing on. Touch screen is so shit.

Anyway, you are all cunts so fuck off.
Oh just get a bluetooth keyboard and stop whining :-P

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
My comp died sometime last week and I've had to resort to catching up on the pit On a shitty fucking pad and its shite for typing on. As bad luck would have it I've never wanted to comment more than I do now. Nugent's bolog, donglegate, Bensons retreat into dementia and Myers being a wank are all so lulzworthy but I can't comment in comfort on this shitty pad.
Soz for shitty spelling and grammar but this heap of wanky dogshit is fucking crap for typing on. Touch screen is so shit.

What a parsehole.
Have you tried turning it off and back on?
Yes Roy :D
Is it actually plugged in?

welch

Post by welch »

codelette wrote:
Oh, I wondered when you'd bring this up, Codelette. As I told you at the time, and as is recorded in the court papers: that chocolate penis took me 30 minutes and third-degree burns to my Johnson to create. The least you could have done was try a little lick. I even offered to pull the hairs out for you before you tried it.

And no, that wasn't a strawberry. It was a choclatey cast of my left testicle, which also received severe burns in the manufacturing process. And just so you know, those little white dots on it weren't strawberry seeds.
Intent is not magic.

It might have been brown, but it wasn't chocolate.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

welch wrote:

Oh just get a bluetooth keyboard and stop whining :-P
Ppfffff....you assume I know what one of those is Welch.
I just learned how to save games on Super Mario World so fucked if I know about blue teeth typing-boards :D

Apples

shhhhh ceepolk is talking

Post by Apples »

Sure glad we have A+ - thanks to Ceepolk, we know why Adria Richards was really fired.
emptyell wrote:Wow. This seems really wrong then. If it was dealt with properly and settled to all parties satisfaction then that should have been that. I don't understand why anyone was fired over this.
ceepolk wrote:Adria's Black.

Clearer now?
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4277

DeepInsideYourMind

Re: shhhhh ceepolk is talking

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Apples wrote:Sure glad we have A+ - thanks to Ceepolk, we know why Adria Richards was really fired.
emptyell wrote:Wow. This seems really wrong then. If it was dealt with properly and settled to all parties satisfaction then that should have been that. I don't understand why anyone was fired over this.
ceepolk wrote:Adria's Black.

Clearer now?
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4277
She is also Jewish ... you're gonna struggle to work out if she was fired due to being Black or being Jewish ....

Or for being a complete asswipe

Post by Guest »

Aneris++

basically every video by theremin trees and qualiasoup is worth watching

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

codelette wrote:

Intent is not magic.

Others' stupidity is not my concern.

Cunt. :idea: :| :clap: :ugeek: :whistle: 8-) :mrgreen:

windy

Post by windy »

welch wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: With Myers making the comment "I encourage the commentariat here to instead draw their knives and flense it so thoroughly the dispassionate ass is feeling the pain in every nerve ending" as well as the "arming and inflaming them" it's clear he is using violent language to encourage nasty, hateful discourse.
This is morally superior to calling someone a bitch?
Well of course. PZ is Clear, we are SPs. We cannot possibly understand what it is to be Clear, and that their use of language is always correct, both technically and morally. Only if we also dedicated our lives to becoming Clear would we be able to understand the deeper meaning of PZ's words.
But how is a Random Feminist Visitor supposed to know who the SPs are???

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-583968
[...] It’s almost impossible to tell without an investment of significant time which of the people here are transient assheads here for five comments, which are regulars having a really bad day, which are regulars who usually stand up for justice but are temporarily absent due to triggering or workload or unpaid Internet bills, which are people who might have been promising regulars but end up flaming out spectacularly with the rest of the horde saying “I did not see that coming,” and so forth.

You want to know what this site’s commenters look like to people who aren’t entirely sold on whether they want to be part of the atheist movement? Give up the idea that they stick around long enough to write their own dramatis personae. Assume that your comments and Caine’s and Carlie’s and Morales’ and NoelPlum’s and googlemess’s will all be given equal weight prorated by frequency of appearance.

I know this because I’m still learning who is who. And I’m a fucking coblogger here. If I’m still learning after being a co-blogger since September, how can you expect Random Feminist Visitor to give you slack just because the unidentified regulars are mainly not scum?

welch

Post by welch »

a great comment by Amanda Blum in her post about the pycon stuff:
About two years ago, when Occupy Wall Street was really blowing up and it felt like we were at a social standstill and everyone hated eachother, I was in a sushi bar at JFK, eating by myself, and this guy next to me just started talking to me. He wasn’t hitting on me, he was just talking. On the other side of me, an older minister sat, also eating. Eventually he joined in. The three of us just talked about what was happening and how we needed to work together. Before we all left, I mused on what we could really DO to make that happen, and the instigator said, “this. You do this. You go places and talk to people.”

And so we do.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

welch wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Perfect official response from Sendgrid on firing Adria Richards:

http://blog.sendgrid.com/a-difficult-situation/
I agree, and when you compare it to playhaven's response, you see why, even when taking an unpopular action, being forthright about your reasons is important. A lot of people won't agree with sendgrid, but at least now, making shit up just got a lot harder.
What I have been preaching to McCreight for YEARS.

Do NOT BLOG ABOUT WORK SHIT.

EVER.

This also reminds me of that chick who, instead of reporting the info she had about her 'harasser' to the proper authorities, NAMED AND SHAMED... the wrong guy. And got sued. And lost that suit and had to pay Poor Schmuck $13,000 (lucky, for her).

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

windy wrote:
Portia @218 wrote:
Yes, and it has been noted here at the Pit before that a certain, and very prominent female atheist/skeptic, has probably committed rape several times before at conference events.

This is of course, using the A+ definition of rape. Just in case you thought I was being libellous!

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

McEwan's List wrote:
  1. Atheist men wondering what they can do to change this dynamic: Start with not engaging in misogyny yourselves. Ex: http://bit.ly/16xrGQ8

Done. I do not hate women.
  2. A safe space for women doesn’t mean you get to be nasty in explicitly misogynist ways to women who aren’t “on your team.”

I thought we discussed this at #1.
  3. Also: Institute a zero-tolerance policy for misogyny in your comments. No slurs, no misogynist narratives, no questioning women’s agency.

Agreed, provided the same applies in reverse (Feminism is just about equality, right?)
  4. Simply not having to encounter not being called a cunt in your comments sections isn’t good enough. My humanity isn’t a debatable issue.

Neither is mine. (Not really sure which atheists think women aren't human, but ok)
  5. Read this on why debating “women’s issues” as an abstract exercise is some rank bullshit: http://bit.ly/16xsCUC

Sure. Right after you read this and watch every video on this channel. Don't tell me what I have to read unless I have the same right to tell you what to read, we're both adults.
  6. And read this on how to effectively and safely communicate with women about women’s issues: http://bit.ly/Ygajwt

Again with the reading assignment. Again right after you read this. I really can't stress enough how annoying this is.
  7. Don’t play devil’s advocate. Let me reiterate that. DON’T PLAY DEVIL’S ADVOCATE. That is not compatible with a safe space for many women.

Suppose, for argument's sake I agreed to never play devil's advocate, how is that going to "change the dynamic" Wouldn't that just insulate you from criticism?
  8. Don’t appropriate or ignore women’s lived experiences. Let women be the experts on our own lives.

Ok as long as you don't pretend to know every man's lived experience and what he thinks. A vagina is not a mind reading device.
  9. Don’t treat women like a monolith. Or any subset of women. Not all atheist women think the same way about any issue.

Wow, this one's easy. Not all MEN think the same way either!
  10. Don’t only listen to the women whose opinions support your perspective. If there is disagreement among atheist women, pay attention.

Hello,pot. Kettle calling, ring-ring
  11. Recognize that there are privileged women in the atheist movement who may collude to marginalize non-privileged women (and men).

Recognize there are professional victims and narcissists in the feminist movement who only want attention.
  12. Extend opportunities to women in your space — as contributors, as moderators, as guest posters. Support female atheists with links.

Done.
  13. CHALLENGE OTHER ATHEIST MEN ON THEIR MISOGYNY. Silence is not good enough. It isn’t neutral: It signals tacit support.

Challenge other feminists on their misandry. (Even though spell check doesn't consider that a word)
  14. When you allow female atheists do the lion’s share of challenging misogyny, you’re reinforcing the narrative women are a “special interest.”

That's hilariously funny considering the special treatment you've called for in your other commandments.
  15. Don’t accuse women of overreacting when we are merely reacting. Don’t accuse us of being oversensitive; maybe you are not sensitive enough.

Did you just write those two commandments back to back? My irony meter just shattered.
  16. Don’t imagine that being a man makes you “objective” on sexism. It merely gives you a different perspective, not greater objectivity.

Kettle called again, wants to hook up with dat pot
  17. Listen. Listen listen listen listen listen. Listen.

Yes, but when do I get to say something too? Hell we even give Republicans equal time.
  18. And if you’re not willing to make the effort to make movement atheism more inclusive, don’t pretend that you are. Be a real ally, or don’t.

Why do "equal" humans need extra effort to be included? This is another plea for special treatment. No thanks.

codelette

Post by codelette »

codelette wrote:

Intent is not magic.

Your lack of concern is noted.

Dongle.
:eabod:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

welch wrote:a great comment by Amanda Blum in her post about the pycon stuff:
About two years ago, when Occupy Wall Street was really blowing up and it felt like we were at a social standstill and everyone hated eachother, I was in a sushi bar at JFK, eating by myself, and this guy next to me just started talking to me. He wasn’t hitting on me, he was just talking. On the other side of me, an older minister sat, also eating. Eventually he joined in. The three of us just talked about what was happening and how we needed to work together. Before we all left, I mused on what we could really DO to make that happen, and the instigator said, “this. You do this. You go places and talk to people.”

And so we do.
Thanks, Opheliar. ;)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

codelette wrote:
codelette wrote:

Intent is not magic.

Your lack of concern is noted.

Dongle.
:eabod:
Concern for what? Are you seriously pissed? That I made a joke about some dumb story you recounted, and the ending to which was "I didn't care that much, the guy apologized, all was good"?

Pffft, I....can't be bothered.

Greased nipples. :|

codelette

Post by codelette »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Concern for what? Are you seriously pissed? That I made a joke about some dumb story you recounted, and the ending to which was "I didn't care that much, the guy apologized, all was good"?

Huh?
I thought we were joking. Are we? Aren't we?
I was using ridiculous SJW bingo words/phrases ("your concern is noted", in this case "your lack of"); cause you mentioned you weren't concerned.

I had to explain my joke. See, that really pisses me off. :evil:

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

codelette wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Concern for what? Are you seriously pissed? That I made a joke about some dumb story you recounted, and the ending to which was "I didn't care that much, the guy apologized, all was good"?

Huh?
I was using ridiculous SJW bingo words/phrases ("your concern is noted", in this case "your lack of"); cause you mentioned you weren't concerned.

I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't eat the chocolate dick.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

codelette wrote:

Huh?

Well played, ma'am.

:clap:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

TheMan wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:I'll just leave this here:

[img]http://www.cjanderson.com/images/produc ... Coffee.jpg]

Too bad it's pre-ground..... better to do the grinding yourself. :) Going up! 1st floor; Manchester, haberdashery and bedding. ding!
Hey You! Is there something you want to share with us? That avatar looks familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/user/EDACFC?feature=watch

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

codelette wrote:

Huh?

:popcorn:

codelette

Post by codelette »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
The contractor was a black man and I imagined the situation rapidly escalating to him asking me: "Did you like my chocolate dick?" in front of my co-workers.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

codelette wrote:

Huh?

He's a Dick. They have limited brain cells, poor thing.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

codelette wrote:

Huh?

Oh.

Well, at least one of us looks like a cunt right now, and past experience would suggest that is me.

Can I claim MKG's "Aspie" defense"?

No, I can't.

I can only say that the problem with impersonating "them" is that their default settings are "anger", "defensiveness" and "blaming others for their own inadequacies". Impersonating "them" instantly raises hackles, because we are so used to dealing with the real "them" that an accurate impersonation is also "triggering" for us.

Maybe this will help: (((hugs)))))

PS: If that kind of sickening blandishment ever did genuinely help someone in the 'Pit get over some butt hurt, I would leave this place for ever!

PPS: Where is MKG?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

codelette wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
The contractor was a black man and I imagined the situation rapidly escalating to him asking me: "Did you like my chocolate dick?" in front of my co-workers.

So a white chocolate dick would have been OK? Racict!!!!!

Damn gotta love A+ for good jokes.

codelette

Post by codelette »

I still love you, dick. Sorry for triggering you.
Nobody still my hugs. All mine. Get your own.

codelette

Post by codelette »

Jack wrote: So a white chocolate dick would have been OK? Racict!!!!!

Maybe a vanilla dick/black man combo.
Actually, it would have been worse if a white man asked the same question in front of my co-workers.

:hankey:

windy

Post by windy »

free thoughtpolice wrote: With Myers making the comment "I encourage the commentariat here to instead draw their knives and flense it so thoroughly the dispassionate ass is feeling the pain in every nerve ending" as well as the "arming and inflaming them" it's clear he is using violent language to encourage nasty, hateful discourse.
Someone else has concerns about the language too!
sliptheknife.png
(114.48 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Amazing, it's like some kind of SJW judo.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

codelette wrote:I still love you, dick. Sorry for triggering you.
Nobody still my hugs. All mine. Get your own.
Aww, this is too sweet.

Shit, when I said "sweet", I was in no way referring to chocolate, whether brown or white. Please don't be triggered.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png
True. And unfortunately for Meyers, he's only been learning this shit part-time for a couple of years. Shakesville have done it full-time for years; it's like a fat little boy trying to take on a two hundred pound woman who has knuckledusters hidden in her belt.

You can bet the fat old fraud is going to back the fuck off this particular confrontation. He's fine with bullying christian gelato shop owners, but real, genuine, street-brawling feminists? No way. So long as he can keep Caine and her friends onside, that's enough for him to put "feminist" on hi resume.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png
C'mon we called it. Especially his propensity to violent rhetoric.

So this is how we monetize this:

A+ gets us to vet everyone who has done one post there. We always know who's next out of the door.

FtB pay us for advice before they talk to SJW types. We know the triggers of GENUINE SJW's rather than pretenders. So we won't mess up.

Ching Ching.

welch

Post by welch »

windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png
I cannot WAIT to see the head-splodey this causes at pharyngula, as they try to reconcile "WE HAVE A RIGHT TO SAY RUDE THINGS" with "LISTEN TO THE WIMMINZ!!!!"

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

codelette wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
What if it had been Milky Bar chocolate?

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1700/ ... 0.1280.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Ok - other's got in first with the obvious joke that was obvious.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png

Oolon's over on McEwans blog stirring it up. He is trying so hard to please.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

hahahaha

It's real.

If this hasn't been posted yet: http://blog.sendgrid.com/a-difficult-situation/
Wow. This week has been extremely challenging for all. We want to give you our perspective on this complicated situation, so here goes…

On Sunday at PyCon, Adria Richards felt comments made behind her during a conference session were inappropriate and of an offensive, sexual nature. We understand that Adria believed the conduct to be inappropriate and support her right to report the incident to PyCon personnel. To be clear, SendGrid supports the right to report inappropriate behavior, whenever and wherever it occurs.

What we do not support was how she reported the conduct. Her decision to tweet the comments and photographs of the people who made the comments crossed the line. Publicly shaming the offenders – and bystanders – was not the appropriate way to handle the situation. Even PyCon has since updated their Code of Conduct due to this situation. Needless to say, a heated public debate ensued. The discourse, productive at times, quickly spiraled into extreme vitriol.

A SendGrid developer evangelist’s responsibility is to build and strengthen our Developer Community across the globe. In light of the events over the last 48+ hours, it has become obvious that her actions have strongly divided the same community she was supposed to unite. As a result, she can no longer be effective in her role at SendGrid.

In the end, the consequences that resulted from how she reported the conduct put our business in danger. Our commitment to our 130 employees, their families, our community members and our more than 130,000 valued customers is our primary concern.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

LMU wrote:Slowly reading through the Nugent threads. Someone brought up the "don't rape" campaign in Vancouver lowering sexual assaults, but wasn't it also used in another place where it didn't seem to have that affect (sexual assaults went up)? Or was there something funny about the stats due to "sexual assaults" /= "rapes" or something? I remember people talking about it but I forget specifics and I haven't noticed anyone replying to that in thread yet (still reading).

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

rocko2466 wrote:
LMU wrote:Slowly reading through the Nugent threads. Someone brought up the "don't rape" campaign in Vancouver lowering sexual assaults, but wasn't it also used in another place where it didn't seem to have that affect (sexual assaults went up)? Or was there something funny about the stats due to "sexual assaults" /= "rapes" or something? I remember people talking about it but I forget specifics and I haven't noticed anyone replying to that in thread yet (still reading).
My blog post on it:

http://unsolicitedcomment.wordpress.com ... christina/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

KiwiInOz wrote:
codelette wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
What if it had been Milky Bar chocolate?

[wimg]http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1700/ ... 0.1280.jpg[/wimg]
Go get 'em, Floyd!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png
- criticism is not evidence of dislike

No it's evidence of misogyny :lol:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

codelette wrote:
Jack wrote: So a white chocolate dick would have been OK? Racict!!!!!

Maybe a vanilla dick/black man combo.
Actually, it would have been worse if a white man asked the same question in front of my co-workers.

:hankey:
I would have had to have pretended I did not hear a thing and leave the room. Nope. Not going there.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Apples wrote:An extremely long autobiographical post on Adria Richards' blog --"Success Against The Odds: Filling My Technology Knapsack From Scratch" gives some insight into her background and personality. She had problems with a violent/stalkery boyfriend, among other things.
Adria Richards wrote:I was done being bullied and intimidated. I began blogging because my life coach encouraged me to. He said it would help many more people than if I just wrote emails to one person. Ok, I told him. I would try it. I registered the domain http://butyoureagirl.com and setup a WordPress blog. I had used WordPress a few times before. One of my first blog posts dated June 9th, 2008 urged people to consider getting rid of cars and replacing them with horses. The highways could be paved with grass and parking lots could be converted to horse stables. This was during the gas crisis so it was my attempt to be relevant.

Ok not the best but I kept trying.

I had signed up for Twitter in March 2008. I wasn’t sure how that all worked just yet. I had joined Facebook the year before because a technology client of mine kept sending me photo alerts. I joined foursquare in 2009 because Minneapolis was one of the early test cities.

I considered staying off these social networks and not blogging as way to protect myself, my location and my intents. I soon began to realize though that sharing where I was and what I was doing actually protected me because I could now notify hundreds, if not thousands of people that I was in danger. It felt comforting to think of it this way.
[emphasis mine]

The direct link to the post is not working, but it's the Feb 6 2013 post on her blog:

http://butyoureagirl.com/blog/
I automatically stopped reading at "life coach".

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Maximus wrote:
windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png
- criticism is not evidence of dislike

No it's evidence of misogyny :lol:
I don't know if any of you have read the comments section but it makes A+ seem like a beacon of reason. Adam Lee gets told to read Feminism101 after his posts were completely strawmanned (the irony) and PZM is generally patronised, as Privileged Cis White Men can't possible know what it is like to be marginalised.

Really, these people marginalise themselves but maybe many of them have good reason to do so. I don't feel places like that do them any good at all. It is just reinforcing their problems by pure indoctrination.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

guestheist wrote:PZ trying to hard:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-584364

"I know. I’m an old white privileged dude. I don’t expect to be trusted, and that’s OK. I just have limits to how much I can bend, and you’re going to have to recognize that."

Witchof the week? LULZ
It's an ostensibly odd connection but bear with me. I read Peezus' post and immediately thought of Nixon's farewell speech to his White House staff. The ending (more or less verbatim) was: "There will be those that hate you but they don't win. Unless you hate them back, because then, you destroy yourself".
The first time I watched that I thought: "Holy fuck. Only now did he realize this?"

Oh, Paul. I am so, vey sorry. It must hurt. Do let us know when you appreciate the greek tragedy inherent in the moment, won't you?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

codelette wrote:I'll share an anecdote of the only time I had to deal with a uncomfortable situation at work and how I dealt with it:
At the second place I worked at as an engineer; there was a contractor that would go pass my office and start small talk. The small talk was about the weather, his son visiting, me leaving because my ex-husband (then husband) was on his was to pick me up, etc. We never talk about charged topics. Nor we ever flirted. Nor there was some spark between us. We talked about the most inane G-rated shit. One day, from left field he told me he brought me a gift (completely OUT OF NOWHERE) and handed me a small paper bag. I was quite surprised as we were not on those terms. Grabbed the bag, looked inside. Inside was a chocolate-covered strawberry and...a chocolate dick. Yes, a chocolate in the shape of a dick. I looked at the guy and right there and then told him: "This is unacceptable. I cannot accept this." and handed the paper bag back to him.
They guy left completely shocked.

I fucking love this place. I have Nathalie Merchant's "My Skin" playing in the background and I'm still laughing to the point of tears.
My significant other is looking at me with a; "Damn, that Pinot Noir's some good shit" look on her face.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... =50#p75171

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Ceepolk is ranting like a televangelist. OMG SECKS IS SPESHUL!!!!

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I think child abuse is terrible. I want to do something to help stop child abuse.

Women, stop abusing children!
Don't be that woman.
Ladies, don't do that.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

OB:
"If I were using Twitter to talk shit about him every day, then I could understand his looking at my tweets, but I’m not, so his snooping into what I say to other people on Twitter is harassment. Textbook harassment." ( http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/ )

Reading my tweets is HARASSMENT!!! OMG!!! Ophie, you #stupidbitch. Seriously.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
windy wrote:
Portia @218 wrote:
Yes, and it has been noted here at the Pit before that a certain, and very prominent female atheist/skeptic, has probably committed rape several times before at conference events.

This is of course, using the A+ definition of rape. Just in case you thought I was being libellous!
I can imagine the libel claim: "The claimant is prominent and known within the atheist / skeptic community as being (1) outwardly female; (2) the one person in the room guaranteed to be consuming alcohol, alternatively about to consume alcohol, alternatively having just consumed alcohol; (3) sexually aggressive towards those she has determined qualify for sexual interest; (4) morally aggressive towards those she has determined do not qualify for sexual interest; and (5) often at conference events. Accordingly, the identification of these factors (in words or words to that effect) renders the claimant sufficiently identifiable such that the imputations made are made against the claimant."

The difficulty is, lots of jurisdictions have the truth defence and the Yanks have a big fucker of a 1st Amendment (which is why some defamation plaintiffs jurisdiction-shop in the age of the internet). (Hint: the UK are an easy-going bunch for defamation plaintiffs).

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Metalogic42 wrote:OB:
"If I were using Twitter to talk shit about him every day, then I could understand his looking at my tweets, but I’m not, so his snooping into what I say to other people on Twitter is harassment. Textbook harassment." ( http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/ )

Reading my tweets is HARASSMENT!!! OMG!!! Ophie, you #stupidbitch. Seriously.
hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

OPHELIA when she is harassed is ALSO harassing.
Fuck me. She's just kicked herself in the face. Again.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:What kind of company tweets about that? One that is very public, very visible, transparent, is well known on Twitter, and is facing a PR disaster due to one of their employees going rogue on them
Companies shouldn't be transparent about things that can piss a lot of people off. So basically, they fired everyone, a sure way to really piss everyone. They should have just issued one of those boring "We will carefully investigate yada yada" things and tried to sweep the whole thing under the rug. Still, it's damn funny though.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png
The comments in that thread are golden. Again, I have to repeat that what happened between PZ and Melissa McEwan was *at most* a simple misunderstanding *and* on top of that PZ had wollen gloves on when trying to respond. Despite this, the "call out" cutlure and the need to exaggerate and create a drama out of this is very strong. I'm have a great lolzy time reading this crap.

Look at this:
Esteleth wrote:I know. And I agree with you completely. PZ is a decent guy, and he tries, but at the end of the day he is a straight cis white man. He's never had to deal - except in the abstract, or as it affected someone he knew - with the violence and oppression that people who aren't like him have to deal with every day.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I just gave up the discussion at Michael's blog. Aratina joined in and now it's just too fucking absurd.

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/20 ... ent-204902

(Need to scroll up a bit for context)

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Trophy wrote:
windy wrote:
sliptheknife.png
The comments in that thread are golden. Again, I have to repeat that what happened between PZ and Melissa McEwan was *at most* a simple misunderstanding *and* on top of that PZ had wollen gloves on when trying to respond. Despite this, the "call out" cutlure and the need to exaggerate and create a drama out of this is very strong. I'm have a great lolzy time reading this crap.

Look at this:
Esteleth wrote:I know. And I agree with you completely. PZ is a decent guy, and he tries, but at the end of the day he is a straight cis white man. He's never had to deal - except in the abstract, or as it affected someone he knew - with the violence and oppression that people who aren't like him have to deal with every day.
Holy shit, are they going to witch PZ too? Well, I guess they had to eventually. White male cis and all that. But already? Wow.

Post by Guest »

Reap

Post by Reap »

codelette wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
I would have at least eaten the strawberry before handing it back to him.
It was rubbing on the chocolate penis. The penis was not wearing a condom. Neither the strawberry.
Yea, deal breaker there. cant be too careful