Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
JackSkeptic

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by JackSkeptic »

Notung wrote:Well, I think if you ever try to list the principles of rationalism, discussion or whatever else, you're bound to perpetually disagree on details. Anyway - I don't think there was ever any chance of agreement on those points. If we were all agreed on the value of a rational approach we wouldn't 'need' this dialogue in the first place!

I think a dialogue could work, but only between moderates. You and your 'team' certainly come across as moderate to me (which wouldn't apply to everyone on 'this side'), but I'm not sure I see your opponents that way, to put it mildly.
Yes, which is why we tried to agree on general principles before hitting details. That went well....

Notung

Post by Notung »

...And the fact that one of the moderators had very recently signed a rejection of a call for open and civil dialogue...

Mind-boggling.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:
Jack wrote:
Notung wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:To be honest, at this point I'm having problems with the dialogue. The writing is entirely too complicated and it seems like entirely too much work to ensure no one steps on anyone's toes. We don't normally have online discussions like this so I'm at a loss as to why we're going this route.
Yeah. I like the idea of keeping it on track and moderating out the junk, but this is way too formal, and seems to (so far) be confined to tangential and abstract topics. Hardly anyone seems to be paying attention to it - and doesn't that sort of defeat the point?
The original idea was to get to simple core points on which to agree too such as rationalism. The fact one side seems to struggle with this means or adds so many qualifications it renders the terms meaningless there is no basis to move forward on yet. The opening statement by us was intended to be clean and simple and a basis to work from. The fact that has not happened is telling, to me anyway.
The above is a mess, I hit post before I had finished:

The original idea was to identify core points on which to agree, such as rationalism. One side seems to struggle with this and adds so many qualifications the terms become meaningless. So there is no basis to move forward on yet. The opening statement by us was intended to be clean, clear and simple. A sound basis to work from and the meat of the discussions should be in strands 2-4. The fact that has not happened is telling, to me anyway.
Unfortunately or not, the problem is, I think, some very different, and quite reasonable, interpretations of key terms and definitions. For example, you made this straight-forward comment about equality:
4(a) We stand for equality for all. We believe that all humans should be treated equally as people, with no inherent superiority of one over the other, as there is no rational basis for such claims of inherent superiority. Addressing areas of inequality such as seen in religions, cultures, and laws is done on the basis of these principles.
To which Oolon responded to with this:
4(a) “…all humans should be treated equally as people…”

Disagree, equality is not achieved through treating everyone equally. Someone who is not able bodied is actively disadvantaged by equality of treatment for example, special consideration for the inherent disadvantage they experience is needed. The evidence for systemic bias against sections of humanity based on this, race, gender etc make it clear we need positive action to achieve true equality.
Apart from the highly question assertion about “inherent superiority”, I think the contrast there in terms of emphasis and perspective is striking. If we’re not going to address those points then I can’t see that the dialog is going to progress very far.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Notung wrote:...And the fact that one of the moderators had very recently signed a rejection of a call for open and civil dialogue...

Mind-boggling.
Well, she was one of many from that organisation. There has been no issues with their moderation I am aware of. So far it has been civil and reasonable. However Skep Tickle will know more about that who is 'our' Mod.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Also, I think the moderation is too 'enthusiastic'. Yes, there are guidelines, but moderation should be 'reluctant' IMO. I moderate my blog reluctantly, and so far I've allowed everything through except for actual spam. If someone starts doing something I want to moderate, what I'll do is talk to them about it first - before going delete-happy.

I find myself disappointed every time I read a comment to find that most of it has been deleted. Perhaps they should have a 'bin' for all the cuttings they rejected from people's comments, and allow people to read it. It would make the moderation more transparent.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
:lol: Too high-pitched for her ears, I would guess ....
It's all the anal. She can hear things no one else can. Lord knows she's seen things no one else should.
Different strokes, consenting adults, and all that, particularly in private.

In public is an entirely different kettle of fish where there are some benefits to be all pulling in the same direction, more or less – so to speak. At least if we aspire to something more than anarchy.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote:
John Greg wrote: <snip>
Perhaps Steersy, who so far as I know is one of the few Pitters still allowed to post on Stefunny's blog, could go over there and provide his usual chain of links, citations, and definitions to show that we are not what they claim we are.
Well – Gregy – just to keep the books straight, I haven’t been able to post there for some time – I have a “Testing, testing, testing” post still in moderation in her “The Reply” post. And several others on other threads.

But I had a comment recently published - and responded to (!) - by Carrier so it’s not a network wide ban – although Greta recently banned me for using “FfTB” as a “dogwhistle” – no sense of humour, that girl ….
Well, if she stopped running up while wagging her tail every time you blew it, it wouldn't be one.
She'll still be a dog, though. Oh, wait, a female dog is called a bitch, right?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Jack wrote:
Notung wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:To be honest, at this point I'm having problems with the dialogue. The writing is entirely too complicated and it seems like entirely too much work to ensure no one steps on anyone's toes. We don't normally have online discussions like this so I'm at a loss as to why we're going this route.
Yeah. I like the idea of keeping it on track and moderating out the junk, but this is way too formal, and seems to (so far) be confined to tangential and abstract topics. Hardly anyone seems to be paying attention to it - and doesn't that sort of defeat the point?
The original idea was to get to simple core points on which to agree too such as rationalism. The fact one side seems to struggle with this means or adds so many qualifications it renders the terms meaningless there is no basis to move forward on yet. The opening statement by us was intended to be clean and simple and a basis to work from. The fact that has not happened is telling, to me anyway.
One problem is that you've stuck yourself to this tarbaby, and now can't be the first one to disengage without accusations of cowardice. Never be the first one to stop applauding!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

So I am reading this article:

Manufacturing Returns to USA (Jobs Not So Much)
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/04/ma ... ns-to-usa/

And I see this just above the comments section:
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.
*burn*

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:
Jack wrote:
Notung wrote:
One problem is that you've stuck yourself to this tarbaby, and now can't be the first one to disengage without accusations of cowardice. Never be the first one to stop applauding!
We're not stuck yet we got lots more ahead, assuming it gets that far:)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Seems like a lot of work for no reward.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

So I just revisited the Erin Pizzey AMA on Reddit to se if there are any new comments and I see that apparently lots of people are unhappy with her. Hilarious because not too many have given any indication as to why.
this post was submitted on 14 Apr 2013
1,260 points (59% like it)
3,893 up votes 2,633 down votes

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:So I just revisited the Erin Pizzey AMA on Reddit to se if there are any new comments and I see that apparently lots of people are unhappy with her. Hilarious because not too many have given any indication as to why.
“Chill-girl, extraordinaire” – at least if you take David Futrelle’s word. (I wouldn’t for much of anything.) Although I can’t say that this comment of hers is likely to be doing her, or their, case much good:
Personally, I would like to see the feminist movement described as a hate movement, so that we can then ban them from the government, from university faculties, from anywhere where they can destroy the minds of young women and men.
Same sort of problem, I think, with some of Thunderfoot’s videos on feminism poisoning atheism. Both need to be a little more circumspect in differentiating between “equity feminism” – as a reasonable if incomplete paradigm – and more “virulent” manifestations of the principles.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Jack said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 386#p84386):
The opening statement by us was intended to be clean and simple and a basis to work from.
Also:
The opening statement by us was intended to be clean, clear and simple.
Jesus Fucksticks.

I'll say it again: Jesus Fucksticks.

The opening statement by you/your team was about as clean and simple as a John le Carre novel mixed in a blender with half a dozen Stephen King opuseses.

You open with three totally irrelevant and unnecessary, not to say deeply confusing and derailing, paragraphs restating, poorly and irrelevantly, not to say tangentially and derailing, the opening question, then belabour that fucking piss-stain accident with poorly ... no, terribly badly worded paragraphs numbered in a ludicrous puzzle palace of irrelevance ...

Ah, fuck it. I am not sympathetic. You fuckers had a chance to present something important and meaningful, and you just blew it out of the fucking water with horrible, bombastic, diction-poor, endless fucking drivel, and sadistically constraining moderation policies. You might as well have had Greg Laden writing the fucking thing.

You guys have hung yourselves on your own fucking petard of wholly unnecessary wordiness, pseudo-intellectual horseshit, and a complete lack of regard for readership mixed with what can ony be called a stupid, juvenile, and overly constraining moderation policy harnessed at the speed of a dead snail.

It is no fucking wonder that the so-called other side is not just confused, but is making hay with the ersatz and contradictory academic baffle-them-with-bullshit nonsense you guys are posting.

I have rarely seen a better example of a proposed good intention being utterly, and completely destroyed by pompous intellectual pretension.

Nah, fuck it. You guys blew it. Blew it completely.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

John Greg wrote:Jack said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 386#p84386):
The opening statement by us was intended to be clean and simple and a basis to work from.
Also:
Jesus Fucksticks.

I'll say it again: Jesus Fucksticks.

The opening statement by you/your team was about as clean and simple as a John le Carre novel mixed in a blender with half a dozen Stephen King opuseses.

You open with three totally irrelevant and unnecessary, not to say deeply confusing and derailing, paragraphs restating, poorly and irrelevantly, not to say tangentially and derailing, the opening question, then belabour that fucking piss-stain accident with poorly ... no, terribly badly worded paragraphs numbered in a ludicrous puzzle palace of irrelevance ...

Ah, fuck it. I am not sympathetic. You fuckers had a chance to present something important and meaningful, and you just blew it out of the fucking water with horrible, bombastic, diction-poor, endless fucking drivel, and sadistically constraining moderation policies. You might as well have had Greg Laden writing the fucking thing.

You guys have hung yourselves on your own fucking petard of wholly unnecessary wordiness, pseudo-intellectual horseshit, and a complete lack of regard for readership mixed with what can ony be called a stupid, juvenile, and overly constraining moderation policy harnessed at the speed of a dead snail.

It is no fucking wonder that the so-called other side is not just confused, but is making hay with the ersatz and contradictory academic baffle-them-with-bullshit nonsense you guys are posting.

I have rarely seen a better example of a proposed good intention being utterly, and completely destroyed by pompous intellectual pretension.

Calm down.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:Same sort of problem, I think, with some of Thunderfoot’s videos on feminism poisoning atheism. Both need to be a little more circumspect in differentiating between “equity feminism” – as a reasonable if incomplete paradigm – and more “virulent” manifestations of the principles.
I think you have a point. The thing though (from my end anyway) is that feminism is done. It will carry on for a few more decades but from what I see, the party is over.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Steersman,

I think you might find the article I link below somewhat interesting.

Michelle Rhee’s Reign of Error
http://takingnote.learningmatters.tv/?p=6232

Related:

Michelle Rhee's Terrible Awful Day
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/m ... 13?src=rss

Memo warns of rampant cheating in D.C. public schools
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... g/2074473/

Notung

Post by Notung »

Re: John Greg

Well (as you probably know) - I just don't think that the dialogue was set out right in the first place. I don't think that was the fault of the participants. I don't even blame MN, since he did his best with good intentions - it was an admirable effort. Nevertheless, it's either workable or it's not, and I think it's not.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Jack wrote: Calm down.
He may have a point.

Personally, I fell asleep by the second paragraph of the opening statement. I can not even recall what it said or who said it, and in all honesty, I have not been back.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Jack wrote:
John Greg wrote:Jack said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 386#p84386):
Also:
Jesus Fucksticks.

<snip>

Calm down.
I'm reminded of Utah Phillips' story about Moose Turd Pie (explanation, and link to video, here).
...if you complained about the food then from now on you were going to have to do the cooking.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Skep tickle, what is your point? I don't get it.

Are you implying some sort of Chicken Little thing?

With the best of intentions, you guys failed. You blew it. And I think you must shoulder some responsibility for that failure: pompous misdirection; ludicrous constraints within the moderation policy; untenable and unworkable time delays; inarguably opaque diction, sentence structure, grammar, layout, and format ... all in all, this was not thought through with care and precision, and I think you all should own up to that.

And Jack, fuck off. You are far, far too sanguine, intellectually removed, and laissez faire.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

There was nothing to lose in the first place and Strand 1 is anyway the most boring one. In about 843 years from today, when we reach Strand 3 or so it will be more interesting. I got the impression that there was quite some shift in perception. Originally, Nugent seemed to be determined to call us out. Now, many here could present their case, and with some help of Richard Carrier and the friendly commentariat who kindly discussed with Ellen Beth Wachs, a different story came across. I believe that their side has lost the prerogative of interpretation, where their narrative now practically breaks down. We'll see :popcorn:

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

I haven't been around in a while, but I'm just popping my head in to congratulate Justin on his recent election win.
4563658-3x2-940x627.jpg
(89.78 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:Skep tickle, what is your point? I don't get it.

With the best of intentions, you guys failed. You blew it. And I think you must shoulder some responsibility for that failure: pompous misdirection; ludicrous constraints within the moderation policy; untenable and unworkable time delays; inarguably opaque diction, sentence structure, grammar, layout, and format ... all in all, this was not thought through with care and precision, and I think you all should own up to that.

And Jack, fuck off. You are far, far too sanguine, intellectually removed, and laissez faire.
As some famous philosopher said – I don’t have the citation handy at the moment: “It ain’t over ‘till it’s over”.

And, as we discussed earlier, I didn’t see you leaping into the breach to stem the onslaught of the horde; you might have had more of a case if you'd done so. Sort of Skep tickle's point ….

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

And another:
images.jpg
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

sacha

Post by sacha »

Steersman wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So I just revisited the Erin Pizzey AMA on Reddit to se if there are any new comments and I see that apparently lots of people are unhappy with her. Hilarious because not too many have given any indication as to why.
“Chill-girl, extraordinaire” – at least if you take David Futrelle’s word. (I wouldn’t for much of anything.) Although I can’t say that this comment of hers is likely to be doing her, or their, case much good:
Personally, I would like to see the feminist movement described as a hate movement, so that we can then ban them from the government, from university faculties, from anywhere where they can destroy the minds of young women and men.
Same sort of problem, I think, with some of Thunderfoot’s videos on feminism poisoning atheism. Both need to be a little more circumspect in differentiating between “equity feminism” – as a reasonable if incomplete paradigm – and more “virulent” manifestations of the principles.
[youtube]3o-OcTSeVcs[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Aneris wrote:There was nothing to lose in the first place and Strand 1 is anyway the most boring one. In about 843 years from today, when we reach Strand 3 or so it will be more interesting. I got the impression that there was quite some shift in perception. Originally, Nugent seemed to be determined to call us out. Now, many here could present their case, and with some help of Richard Carrier and the friendly commentariat who kindly discussed with Ellen Beth Wachs, a different story came across. I believe that their side has lost the prerogative of interpretation, where their narrative now practically breaks down. We'll see :popcorn:
This is similar to my charitable reading of the situation. I do pity the netarchaeologists who will have to wade through it all 843 years into the future though.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Stop moaning.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
[youtube]3o-OcTSeVcs[/youtube]
Yea, I was sort of thinking of GWW and that video of hers as I was writing that comment. But I still think my point holds as I think both Thunderfoot and, apparently, Pizzey aren’t clear in differentiating the spectrum of feminist ideologies.

And while I didn’t watch GWW again, my recollection is that she was pretty dismissive of “nice” feminists. Maybe she wasn’t aware of the feminists like Christina Hoff Sommers, and the women who wrote the book – Professing Feminism: Education and Indoctrination in Women’s Studies – and the feminists who reviewed that book by noting:
The book is a critique on Women Studies departments in the United States. The authors interviewed dozens of women, from staff to professors to students, all quite supportive of feminism, but all still sharing the same criticism of infighting, indoctrination, political correctness and a near total lack of objective discussion.
….
The authors, however, demonstrate that these problems have existed since their ideology’s inception, and were particularly common within Women Studies programs. The authors wrote of the isolationist attitude that dominates many of the programs, along with a virulent anti-science, anti-intellectual sentiment driving many of the professors, staff and students. [my emphasis]
My kind of feminists – ready to call a spade a shovel; anything but GWW’s “nice” ….

[time to call it a day – again; night all ….]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

It's a little slow here. It must be spring time. That's good though, since I'm busy too and less posts mean I can actually catch up and not miss any. I should have a ton more time to do internet things in about a month. Some real life stuff is distracting me, but it will be finished with soon.

Anyways, just posting so that I can show off my new avatar. The picture is from a Bing Desktop (Microsoft program that changes your wallpaper every morning). It was their April Fools joke. At least I think so, since I sure don't remember ever seeing pics where an Easter Island statue is grinning. And the hat is, of course, standard SlimePit wear.

Humphrey_Hedgehog

Post by Humphrey_Hedgehog »

Jack wrote:

Stop moaning.
As the actress said to the Bishop... :rimshot:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

For any old Roxy Music fans, Bryan Ferry has a youtube channel and has been getting into jazz a bit these days. This is a new video from yesterday. I'm totally nuts about it. At first hearing it, it instantly became my new favourite song. Something about the melody mixed with Bryan's voice and mixed with the jazz style.

Back To Black - Bryan Ferry (Live In Zermatt)
[youtube]rpzREN3CRi4[/youtube]

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

rocko2466 wrote:And another:
images.jpg
That can't be our Justin.....you can actually see the pictured fellow's 'stache.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Scented Nectar wrote:It's a little slow here. It must be spring time. That's good though, since I'm busy too and less posts mean I can actually catch up and not miss any. I should have a ton more time to do internet things in about a month. Some real life stuff is distracting me, but it will be finished with soon.

Anyways, just posting so that I can show off my new avatar. The picture is from a Bing Desktop (Microsoft program that changes your wallpaper every morning). It was their April Fools joke. At least I think so, since I sure don't remember ever seeing pics where an Easter Island statue is grinning. And the hat is, of course, standard SlimePit wear.
I wouldn't worry too much about the speed/people, it comes in waves. Just wait until around TAM ;) Like the avatar btw :)

LMU

Post by LMU »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Notung wrote:
It was never going to FIX any rifts, but it shows that in principle a dialogue is possible. That is valuable when one of the FtB narratives is that the others (who they so love to "other") are terrorist monsters. There has been no friction coming out of the Nugent dialogues, and there is nothing in there that can be quote-mined for the sake of drama.

It stands as an example and an open path: Look, HERE is your civil on-topic super moderated (but fairly) discussion. Now... aren't you BORED!? Doesn't it make you yearn for the environment you would get from looser rules?
This is my view of the talks as well. It would be nice if something good came from them directly, but it's no tragedy and still worth doing even if it doesn't. For example just by existing it refutes the "they can't have calm reasonable discussions" charge.

decius

Post by decius »

Speaking of TAM, I've seen Twatson gloating in tweets with a sycophant of hers about alleged low ticket sales for this edition. If that's indeed the case, we won't hear the end of the chest-thumping, regardless of the actual reasons.
Does anyone know if it's true?

I would encourage everyone who can afford it to go, in any case.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

PZ cares about indie horror/gore movies with female directors:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 10bb9f.png

Diverse cast and production staff, too. Not.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/truth-or-dare--2

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4374
My name is 47, I'm an atheist skeptic and queer trans autistic multiple neurodiverse artist weirdo who has had a heck of a hard time figuring out how to fit in in any sort of community.

I'm a part of ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) Seattle and in the past have spent a lot of time researching and debating people over anti-vaccine stuff and other autism-cure quackery, I have a huge dislike of alternative medicine and quackery especially when it comes to autism and am very pro-neurodiversity.

I am also part of a multiple system. Think like "multiple personality" except also not fitting a lot of those stereotypes. tl;dr for various reasons my brain grew up perceiving itself as more than one entity. I'll probably be the only one from my group posting here.

decius

Post by decius »

jjbinx007 wrote:http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4374
My name is 47, I'm an atheist skeptic and queer trans autistic multiple neurodiverse artist weirdo who has had a heck of a hard time figuring out how to fit in in any sort of community.

I'm a part of ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) Seattle and in the past have spent a lot of time researching and debating people over anti-vaccine stuff and other autism-cure quackery, I have a huge dislike of alternative medicine and quackery especially when it comes to autism and am very pro-neurodiversity.

I am also part of a multiple system. Think like "multiple personality" except also not fitting a lot of those stereotypes. tl;dr for various reasons my brain grew up perceiving itself as more than one entity. I'll probably be the only one from my group posting here.

Poeism+.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

I loved this article by Helen Lewis http://helenlewiswrites.tumblr.com/priv ... vSl1rpijql

cunt

Post by cunt »

TF here is short for "transformers".

http://i.imgur.com/8kI8wcH.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

I wonder why is OK to doubt the historicity of Socrates, but not of the Holy Jeezzuss.

Dick Carrier aside, the existence of the original Lich King isn't confirmed by unbiased sources. So, this Bart Erhman guy can fuck himself out of his "Jesus-denier" shtick. "Bible scholarship" my ass. Dies he think that a fictional character cannot be "made" real? He really needs to study what happened to Sherlock Holmes - and he was created in the 1800's. Now imagine what people could make of stories much, much older and much, much less verifiable.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Lsuoma wrote:Fucking Facebook. I wish someone would bomb that place out of existence. Worst website ever.
I share you pain, Mr. Admin. I hate the Graph API.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

LMU wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:It's a little slow here. It must be spring time. That's good though, since I'm busy too and less posts mean I can actually catch up and not miss any. I should have a ton more time to do internet things in about a month. Some real life stuff is distracting me, but it will be finished with soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the speed/people, it comes in waves. Just wait until around TAM ;) Like the avatar btw :)
Or the next incident of us noticing FTBers doing/saying stupid things. That happens on a fairly regular basis. :)

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

cunt wrote:TF here is short for "transformers".
[snip]
Good lord. Although, from my (limited) experience there is a growing 'backlash' of the "keep your SJW fuckery out of [insert fandom here]" variety. Some of us are just there for a good time.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:TF here is short for "transformers".

http://i.imgur.com/8kI8wcH.jpg
Where the hell did you dig that up from?
It's not so much a flow chart as an argument between the creator and the voices in his head.

cunt

Post by cunt »

http://yes-ze-did.tumblr.com/post/44017 ... o-aquapunk

Apparently there's a weird section on tumblr with people who fantasise about being transformers.
My headcanon for Cybertronians is that there are a multitude of different pronouns for different groups, rather than one collective ungendered pronoun. And pronouns would be based on form and/or function. Triplechangers, minibots, towers mechs would have their own pronouns. I even think the Prime(s) would have their own pronoun. I would LOVE to see a fic that reflected this, used a wide variety of pronouns other than he/she, and built on a deep culture that’s different from our own. c:

cunt

Post by cunt »

It makes sense for giant robots to have a binary of notion of gender, that's the worst bit.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Where the hell did you dig that up from?
It's not so much a flow chart as an argument between the creator and the voices in his head.
I traced it back to here. She's a feminist, and she's serious about this.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:http://yes-ze-did.tumblr.com/post/44017 ... o-aquapunk

Apparently there's a weird section on tumblr with people who fantasise about being transformers.
My headcanon for Cybertronians is that there are a multitude of different pronouns for different groups, rather than one collective ungendered pronoun. And pronouns would be based on form and/or function. Triplechangers, minibots, towers mechs would have their own pronouns. I even think the Prime(s) would have their own pronoun. I would LOVE to see a fic that reflected this, used a wide variety of pronouns other than he/she, and built on a deep culture that’s different from our own. c:
It's bad enough some adults want to be a cartoon robot who can turn into a car. Adding social justice rules to the fantasy just makes me suicidal.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
I clicked the link and discovered it's not just transformers she's interested in. She likes fish, and necromancy too.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
It's REAL? Holy crap I thought it was a parody.

I can just imagine the Autobots having an argument about Megatron's preferred gender-pronoun before going out to foil xerx's (that's right, it's "xerx") latest scheme.

*shoots self*

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote:
I clicked the link and discovered it's not just transformers she's interested in. She likes fish, and necromancy too.
That has GOT to be Eucliwoo...

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote:

Fish eh? PZ just perked up a little.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
cunt wrote:http://yes-ze-did.tumblr.com/post/44017 ... o-aquapunk

It's bad enough some adults want to be a cartoon robot who can turn into a car. Adding social justice rules to the fantasy just makes me suicidal.
Then factor in that most of the fan-fic is probably going to be about the cartoon robot cars sucking each other off.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

jjbinx007 wrote:http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4374

Seriously though, what happens when one of 47's other entities shows up? Perhaps one that doesn't toe the line, or has a problem with authority, or is an asshole etc. 47's last sentence there seems to suggest that there's little 47 can do about it.
I'll probably be the only one from my group posting here.
http://i.imgur.com/9olvQyR.png

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

[youtube]TFYhWdGMThQ[/youtube]

(Hmmm... this reminds me of something.)

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

cunt wrote:It makes sense for giant robots to have a binary of notion of gender, that's the worst bit.
Hopefully one of you fine photoshopers will give that flowchart the treatment it so richly deserves.

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4374
Schizophrenic guy wrote:My name is 47, I'm an atheist skeptic and queer trans autistic multiple neurodiverse artist weirdo who has had a heck of a hard time figuring out how to fit in in any sort of community.

I'm really interested in all this from a neurological perspective, and spend a lot of time thinking about identity, subjectivity, and imagination. I think brains can generate a huge diversity of experiences and identities, and I see no logical reason why there should be such narrow limits on what society thinks is the "right" or "healthy" way to have an identity or be a person. "Your gender identity must match your body", "Brains need to only contain one identity and sense of self", etc. Why?
Why having dissociative personality disorder is harmful? Hmmmmm, I wonder. Maaaybe it has something to do with not having control over your life (especially regarding life-choices such as education and career; one "personality" might love to be an engineer, while another only wants to play video-games)? Continuous memory loss? Erratic behaviour that, indeed, makes it very hard to acquire or maintain social relationships with people? Also, never having a stable "state of emotions" (i.e. suffering from DID most often results in the person always being either stressed out/scared/angsty/angry/depressed due to the frequent memory losses, various personalities constantly in conflict and subsequent social problems) is not exactly awesome.

Contrary to what these "neurodiverse" idiots (haha, get it?) claim, the vast amount of therapists/physicians does not exist as part of a huge conspiracy to supress "neurodiverse" people. They are there because these people suffer and they need assistance in relieving that suffering.

Also; these fuckers over at A+ keep calling themselves "skeptics". They're obviously not. They make a whole lot of insane claims ("having autism is not a disorder!", "patriarchy!", etc) but they have nothing to back up these claims. I am sick and tired of emo fuckers trying to justify their own madness by dragging the good name of atheism and skepticism down in the mud with them. Fuck 'em all.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Submariner wrote:
cunt wrote:It makes sense for giant robots to have a binary of notion of gender, that's the worst bit.
Hopefully one of you fine photoshopers will give that flowchart the treatment it so richly deserves.
When I master how to photoshop streaky, brown skidmarks all over something I'll post the results here.