Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Guest »

thou shalt not

http://i.imgur.com/rFqNrYL.jpg

how many of these do they violate on a regular basis?

in the same post?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Aunt Ophelia is the Lord Voldemort of the community. Her name shall not be named. It doesn't stop her from mentioning other people, who named her first, who named her after being named, which was after... whatever.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

John Greg wrote:Hmm. I posted a comment on Ally Foggs Defence of Free Speech post (http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... of-speech/). I thought my comment was a reasonable set of possible reasons, beyond supposed hateful sexism, for the hostile reactions against Sarkeesian and her research project. Ally, responding most angrily, and as far as I can tell, really missed all of my points (http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... mment-1306).

Anyone care to take a gander and tell me, with explication, where I went wrong, and how I misstated my position so badly as to be so strongly misunderstood?

Thanks.
1. She's a bit of a feminist icon so you're doomed from the beginning. In short, there is no right way to deal with this issue with them.

2. Unless you're a gamer, it's hard to understand what a total load of horsecrap her video is as it relates to actual gaming. It's just not like that. But if you work hard to select a small, not-representative sample of a broad field of work... You can torture up her video from your flawed premise.

3. In the end, I think all you can point out is that her work is very suspect. At least some of the work was plagiarized by lifting directly (as in word-for-word) from Wikipedia. Some more of the work was taken, with changes, from Wikipedia and other sources. It's hardly 'original, ground-breaking work.' Rather it's, far more 'lazy copy/paste.' Which makes it a Jonah-Lerher-type fraud.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I see that Melody Hensley is in damage control over her incompetence regarding providing facilities for disabled people at WISC2.

She has contacted the blind guy Christian Hofstrader, who wrote that damning article about her, and asked him to update it with more information.
If anything it makes her seem even worse.

http://www.hofstader.com/invisible_blind_man
Melody tried the oldest ablest argument in the book when she said, "I know how it's like to be disabled because I once broke my ankle and couldn't go upstairs." I say, "I once dressed up as a nun for Halloween but that doesn't give me the experience of a Catholic woman." I have since spoken to Melody on the phone and she explained that she had hoped to tell us her story of being temporarily disabled as a way to described how she came to realize her own privilege. At the time of the discussion, though, I was very angry and didn't give her the opportunity to complete her story.

Then, as we described the constant insults we endured, Melody tried to sound sympathetic (a bit too late) and then she started to cry. I felt bad but also realized that, when I got to my room on Friday and Saturday nights, after spending time at the conference, that I wanted to cry too. At the time of our conversation, I hadn't heard about the shitstorm caused by Ron Lindsay's presentation and his incredibly offensive blog post filled with all sorts of ad hominem attacks on my friend Rebecca nor did I know about all of the women who came to Melody in tears that morning to talk about Lindsay's stupidity. In our telephone conversation, I expressed my sympathy to Melody for Ron having hijacked her conference and caused a change in focus from a really great set of presentations and panels into this year's US skeptical/atheist side show.

While talking to Melody in that hallway at the Marriott in DC, she apologized profusely and my friend and I accepted her apology and I expect that Women in Secularism will take accessibility seriously and will probably do a good job in the future.
Basically what has been added is that she gives more explanation for her silly "I once broke my ankle so I know what it's like to be disabled" story, and, importantly, she dumps all the blame on Ron Lindsay, for creating a climate in which she was flustered from crying attendees (in tears because of his speech!) and so temporarily unable to held the disabled people.

So, not only is she completely incompetent, but she manages to balance it out by being completely disloyal and maliciously backstabbing to her boss too! :shifty:
"...all of the women who came to Melody in tears that morning to talk about Lindsay's stupidity." Seriously? WTF is wrong with these women? In tears? I'm thinking either that's a load of complete crap or these are women I never want to be around. The very second life gets a tiny bit hard, I imagine a massive group of worthless women weeping in a corner. Sickening.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tribble wrote:3. In the end, I think all you can point out is that her work is very suspect. At least some of the work was plagiarized by lifting directly (as in word-for-word) from Wikipedia. Some more of the work was taken, with changes, from Wikipedia and other sources. It's hardly 'original, ground-breaking work.' Rather it's, far more 'lazy copy/paste.' Which makes it a Jonah-Lerher-type fraud.
welsh had more than a few comments about that awhile back. You may want to do a search for them.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Jack wrote: So when I hear online games are packed with misogony I know for a fact that person has either no experience or is grossly misrepresenting what actually happens. They are a great leveller and do more for race/gender equality than those clowns could ever dream of.
/nod.
Those others just don't get it.

/runs
We had people with disabilities who loved online games as they gave them a sense of freedom and equality. Their disability did not matter. I know for a fact that no one tried the victim card to obtain an advantage. They had more respect for themselves than to do that and they had more respect for the rest of us not to fall into that trap of guilt.

Of course nothing is perfect. There were the usual noisy idiots but they were ignored. Also if anyone in any guild I was part of expressed anything deeply offensive they were kicked out and that was the end of it.
Glad you mentioned people with disabilities too.
The whole post was great, Jack.

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

based on the amount of people that comment about donations on Ophelia and Co blogs every time she's "harassed" I vote for a complete freeze on all "harassment" of her/them. If my hypothesis is correct her/thier funds will almost completely dry up and she/they may come close to being forced to work for a living.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I guess I might be pushing the envelope a bit wieh this. I asked Ally:
So, just to make sure I have this straight, does that mean when PZ Myers says he wants to fuck a rather innocent and harmless gelato shop owner into the ground, it means that PZ is in fact, as his words reflect, an angry homosexual who wants to sodomize the rather harmless gelato shop owner until he becames one with the dirt on the street? Or that writers, or comedians, or actors, who “become” racists, et al, are in fact racists, et al? And when an actor portrays, favourably, as in a balanced portrayal of an otherwise flawed human being, some racist, or sexist, or homophobe et al in a movie, then they too are guilty of those behaviours/ideologies? Or when I discuss Mark Twain’s use of the word nigger in his books, and vociferously defend his use and provide my own explicatory examples of racist bigotry to provide satiric and or ironic example, of the word nigger in his books because it was critically specific to and reflective of the issues, and was intended to what we would today call troll his readership into vociferous emotional reaction, that Twain was critical of, I am, therefore, a racist too?

You utterly deny, categorically, that some troller using such terminology is not, cannot be, could not be playing a role, just for reaction, personal profit, benefit, or even, shudder, to POE?

Have I got that all quite right? Please spell it out for this rather thick cracker.
We shall see.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

skepandsprinkles wrote:based on the amount of people that comment about donations on Ophelia and Co blogs every time she's "harassed" I vote for a complete freeze on all "harassment" of her/them. If my hypothesis is correct her/thier funds will almost completely dry up and she/they may come close to being forced to work for a living.
I honestly don't know what would be considered harassment at this point.
That's not a joke either. If they can twist saying you're going to them into a threat and blog about a hashtag that has nothing to do with them, then how can we really predict what they'll call harassment.
Honestly, a guy says privilege shouldn't be used to silence people and they respond by calling for his firing. I don't even know how to satirize that.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

going to ^ignore them

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

skepandsprinkles wrote:based on the amount of people that comment about donations on Ophelia and Co blogs every time she's "harassed" I vote for a complete freeze on all "harassment" of her/them. If my hypothesis is correct her/thier funds will almost completely dry up and she/they may come close to being forced to work for a living.
Well, some here are intend on providing her income but there it is. I try and avoid mentioning her as if she actually believes what she says she need professional help not triggers. If she does not believe it she is being handed her blog posts and comments on a plate.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ophelia's page o' paranoia has generated real-life consequences:

http://i.imgur.com/sq11q6Z.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Apples wrote:Pitchguest - excellent comment over at the Fogg-blog.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... mment-1333
Agree - and it looks like lots of people over there have boners for Sarkeezian, too...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Aneris wrote:Aunt Ophelia is the Lord Voldemort of the community. Her name shall not be named. It doesn't stop her from mentioning other people, who named her first, who named her after being named, which was after... whatever.
What the fuck is her problem with Vacula mentioning her? For each time he mentions her, he mentions himself a hundred times! Jeez, FeeFee, have a sense of proportion!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

zenbabe wrote: "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love"
I like my coffee like I like my women: roasted, ground and boiled.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

OH MY GOD! I CANT BELIEVE JUSTIN SAID THAT ABOUT OPHELIA ON BRAVE HERO RADIO TONIGHT!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... bbie-smith

** jk. We didnt talk about them very much. Just that stupid boring science crap.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Ophelia's page o' paranoia has generated real-life consequences:

That's nothing, read her response to the request.

skepandsprinkles

Kareem wrote:
That's not a joke either. If they can twist saying you're going to them into a threat and blog about a hashtag that has nothing to do with them, then how can we really predict what they'll call harassment.
Honestly, a guy says privilege shouldn't be used to silence people and they respond by calling for his firing. I don't even know how to satirize that.
Could just pretend she's dead to the world for a while. I think it might actually upset her more than the faked or hyped hurt feefees from people like JV

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

skepandsprinkles wrote:
Kareem wrote:
Could just pretend she's dead to the world for a while. I think it might actually upset her more than the faked or hyped hurt feefees from people like JV
That's actually a good idea. I actually think there are followers in that group who are reasonable. Sooner or later they'll see that the drama is manufactured as the "documented harassment" becomes more and more of a reach.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Jesus fucking Christ, what is wrong with Ophelia Benson?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/

Fake edit: Kareem, yeah, I read it. Wow.

http://awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-content/u ... dShake.gif

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

She's blackmailing Katie. Wow indeed

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Anyone know anything more about this from Opheliar's FfTB blog?

http://i.imgur.com/sNjSpBU.jpg

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Pitchguest wrote:Jesus fucking Christ, what is wrong with Ophelia Benson?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/

Fake edit: Kareem, yeah, I read it. Wow.

http://awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-content/u ... dShake.gif
Ophelias response, aka, "Exhibit A in Katies husbands civil suit"

Had Ophelia been 'stalking' Katie for info about someone other than herself, it would have been obvious (its obvious to me, and I only casually see Katie FB feed) that this is serious shit.

Ophelia Benson: Violence against women is okay if that women says stuff I dont like.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

FeeFee is fucking crazy - I'm sure she literally vibrates with rage, and if I ever met her face-to-face, pow!. I tell ya, living and working in Seattle is like playing Russian Roulette with a six-shooter and six shells.

/scared!!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Concentrated said:
Ophelia's page o' paranoia has generated real-life consequences
CH2O (and Kareem): Magic word = LINKS.

Especially with clownfish like Ophie, who can post anywhere from 2 to 15 posts per day, with titles that have nothing to do with content, and/or commentrary. What? We should spend hours searching the Internet to find out your precious jewels of reproach?

skepandsprinkles

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Anyone know anything more about this from Opheliar's FfTB blog?

Wonder if she realized how horrible her conduct was

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

skepandsprinkles wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Anyone know anything more about this from Opheliar's FfTB blog?

Yeah, right...

ConcentratedH2O, OM

John Greg wrote:Concentrated said:

Especially with clownfish like Ophie, who can post anywhere from 2 to 15 posts per day, with titles that have nothing to do with content, and/or commentrary. What? We should spend hours searching the Internet to find out your precious jewels of reproach?
When I provide links, I get Phil G bitching at me for sending people over there and giving them money. I can't win, so I don't play. If I think about it I link, if I forget...meh.

skepandsprinkles

Lsuoma wrote:
skepandsprinkles wrote:

Yeah, right...
sorry, should have ended with /sarcasm

ConcentratedH2O, OM

skepandsprinkles wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
skepandsprinkles wrote:

Yeah, right...
sorry, should have ended with /sarcasm
Don't worry, this isn't A+Theism, or FfTB. I would guess 90% of people here don't need a tag on something so obvious as that, and 100% of those would despise you if you'd used one!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

When I provide links, I get Phil G bitching at me for sending people over there and giving them money. I can't win, so I don't play. If I think about it I link, if I forget...meh.
Just block Phil "Four-posts-in-a-row" Grozny. I do...

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Jeez, I'm not sure you guys need to do anything any more. Enough rope....

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Sarah Hoyt rips somebody a new one:
http://accordingtohoyt.com/2013/05/25/raping-history/
Which means, at the end, I am entitled to sneer at them. A writer can sneer at whores. More importantly, someone who rapes history in order to conceive a bastard is entitled to sneer at someone who has snuff sex with history and leaves her bleeding corpse in an alley, entrails ripped out, unable to conceive ever again.

And that’s what I’m doing.
(She no like Dan Brown methinks)

Post by Guest »

Jack wrote:

So when I hear online games are packed with misogony I know for a fact that person has either no experience or is grossly misrepresenting what actually happens. T

I agree with this. I've played WoW, which is one of the games I've read both Peezus and Becky complain about as far as harassment of female players goes, since 2006. I've played arena, battlegrounds, and done raids and dungeons as well. I've never encountered misogyny or harassment. But then, I'm not one of those girls who jumps into a new group and lets everyone know from the get go that I'm female.

That said, when I read things like Marcotte's latest I scratch my head a bit too. I've never experienced street 'harassment' either. I've had some random drunks say some stupid things sometimes but that's not harassment or threatening, that's drunks being dumb and they call shit out to guys as well from what I've seen. And someone saying 'hello' I take as a simple greeting, not an invitation for rape. Humans will communicate with other humans... funny that.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Concentrated said:
Concentrated, you are not that stupid. You know it; I know it. The argument is not "Do not provide links 'cause it gives them money". The argument is, do not provide nothing more than a head/tagline and a link, which then forces me to go over there to get detail.

If you provide a bit of data and story, and a link, then there is a choice to go, or not to go.

Anyway, C2, please provide a link.

Also, if lovely Phil bitches, just remind him that no one in the Slyme world has such easy acces to the finest croissant and cafe bleu than he does, so Phhfftllst on him.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Also, if lovely Phil bitches, just remind him that no one in the Slyme world has such easy acces to the finest croissant and cafe bleu than he does, so Phhfftllst on him.
Phil is always flouting his French Privilege. It makes me so mad I feel a blog coming on. I'll just burst into tears first.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Kareem wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Ophelia's page o' paranoia has generated real-life consequences:

http://i.imgur.com/CIHhteN.jpg

Ophelia is pushing any chance of reconciliation out of the window.

Just look at the other post she did yesterday where she targets Damion and calls him a liar and a fraud.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... /05/cheap/

Damion had taken issue with one of her previous posts and written an interpretation of it.

He'd posted:
Her argument seems to be something like this:

Skeptics assent unquestioningly to moral propositions of the form “You must not [commit atrocities against humans]” without stopping to ask for further evidence.
Checkmate, skeptics!

I may have missed out a step there, but that seems to pretty much cover it. My answer to this is twofold.
Which caused her to boil over in rage.
Apparently his interpretation was completely wrong - therefore he's a liar and a fraud!

But if he interpreted it different to the way she meant it then how is he a liar and a fraud?
Wouldn't that take an intentional act of stating something he knew to be incorrect?
In this case he stated that he was writing his interpretation of what she was writing, that he was condensing and paraphrasing her argument, and even provided a link to the original piece so that readers could compare what he said to what Ophelia wrote.

The funniest thing is that Ophelia writes a reply to Improbable Joe (who has written a braindead comment accusing her opponents of being psychopaths!) in which she ends with:
Most of my point was just that official, “movement” skeptics talk a lot of self-flattering bullshit about questioning everything, and that itself is quite stupidly unskeptical.

...which is pretty much exactly Damions point :doh:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Guest wrote: ...That said, when I read things like Marcotte's latest I scratch my head a bit too. I've never experienced street 'harassment' either. I've had some random drunks say some stupid things sometimes but that's not harassment or threatening, that's drunks being dumb and they call shit out to guys as well from what I've seen. And someone saying 'hello' I take as a simple greeting, not an invitation for rape. Humans will communicate with other humans... funny that.
In all seriousness, I wouldn't spend much time trying to figure out Marcotte. I've tried and I wound up needing to take a hot shower.
Peezus can largely be explained by "horsemen envy", Becky by desire to avoid actual work, Ophie, at this point, appears to be spiraling into actual paranoid dementia.
Marcotte just seems to be pure hatred.
I would genuinely prefer to spend time with Shirley Phelps-Roper than with Amanda Marcotte.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gefan wrote:
Guest wrote:
I would genuinely prefer to spend time with Shirley Phelps-Roper than with Amanda Marcotte.

Thats a bit much. :snooty:

Seriously, are you really comparing a woman who brings her groups of haters to situations where people are facing complicated and stressful events, and proceeds to sneer and at them? Someone who has no compunction in saying the most nasty things to innocent people and condemn them simply on the basis of a fixed, unchanging and profoundly sexist ideology?
You want to compare this person...

...with Shirley Phelps Roper?

:rimshot:

Seriously though, I think the easiest way to think of Marcotte is as a left wing Ann Coulter. I don't think she believes in half the shit she says, she does it to rile up her idiot followers and to inspire outrage from her detracters.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

It's strange to see stuff written by Ophie that's more than a couple of years old. She's so very different to how she was then.

sacha

Post by sacha »

"Politically Correct" SJWs are directly responsible for "rape culture". (of course this is nothing new)

Dawkins truly is a master at manipulation of those SJWs who attempt to vilify him. they don't even realise they are being played. multiple levels of irony with this move.

It's just beautiful to watch.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... t-science/
PZ wrote: This is not how anyone does science.
Except for a few dejected outcasts in patent offices. It's not how science usually proceeds, within the confines of the modern publicly funded and institutional framework, although it's the way science almost exclusively used to progress. It's funny how we've totally forgotten and entirely discounted that history. It's arguably how Darwin came upon evolution.

The wacky lone genius working in his garage has been relegated to fiction.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Kareem wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/CIHhteN.jpg

Ophelia is pushing any chance of reconciliation out of the window.

Just look at the other post she did yesterday where she targets Damion and calls him a liar and a fraud.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... /05/cheap/

Damion had taken issue with one of her previous posts and written an interpretation of it.

He'd posted:
Her argument seems to be something like this:

Skeptics assent unquestioningly to moral propositions of the form “You must not [commit atrocities against humans]” without stopping to ask for further evidence.
Checkmate, skeptics!

I may have missed out a step there, but that seems to pretty much cover it. My answer to this is twofold.
Which caused her to boil over in rage.
Apparently his interpretation was completely wrong - therefore he's a liar and a fraud!

But if he interpreted it different to the way she meant it then how is he a liar and a fraud?
Wouldn't that take an intentional act of stating something he knew to be incorrect?
In this case he stated that he was writing his interpretation of what she was writing, that he was condensing and paraphrasing her argument, and even provided a link to the original piece so that readers could compare what he said to what Ophelia wrote.

The funniest thing is that Ophelia writes a reply to Improbable Joe (who has written a braindead comment accusing her opponents of being psychopaths!) in which she ends with:
Most of my point was just that official, “movement” skeptics talk a lot of self-flattering bullshit about questioning everything, and that itself is quite stupidly unskeptical.

...which is pretty much exactly Damions point :doh:
Step back to 2012 -

http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/08/oph ... ining.html

TL;DR
Ophelia pops on my Facebook page demanding I remove "lies" about her on a podcast. I dispute the claim that there are lies and she continues to press the issue, demanding I 'fix' the podcast. ...then she continues to talk about it in blog comments and elsewhere.

So...it's OK for Ophelia to go about and make demands and, of course, unacceptable for people to dispute her claims, but when she does it...

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

zenbabe wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: I was hoping for a foursome, energized by my outrageously strong coffee, but my friends all arrived at different times ("separate occasions"). Ah well, some other time. :D
I watched that :) Puts my fiddling about every day with my french press to shame. It does however remind me of making turkish coffee, which I'd guess you'd also enjoy. The pot I have is way bigger so it makes enough for a big full mug.

"Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love"

Added feature of turkish coffee, if you dump the grounds left at the bottom out over your saucer (if you use one, which I don't), you can read them and know your future. Wuwu.

Btw it cracked me up to hear you keep telling your cat to hush.

"Shut up Dusty"
"Shut the fuck UP Dusty! Next episode is 'cat abuse'"
lol

I need a new cat.
I miss Dusty. He had a very strong personality. He died last June (he had kidney failure, so I called the vet come over to euthanize him).

I think I'd really like Turkish coffee, except that I'm grossed out by grounds in the coffee. Sometimes I even double up the filters to make extra sure. The French press makes good coffee too, except that it lets in the smaller powdery grounds. I'm very fussy about grounds getting in, otherwise I'd use a press.

My coffee grounds kept telling me "you need better quality filters in your future". :)

Here's the last video that Dusty was in, about a half year before he got sick:

[youtube]D49qaPWs_lw[/youtube]

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Scented Nectar wrote:I miss Dusty. He had a very strong personality. He died last June (he had kidney failure, so I called the vet come over to euthanize him).
Ugh. Condolences, Scented. Kidney failure takes them so fast.
I think I'd really like Turkish coffee, except that I'm grossed out by grounds in the coffee. Sometimes I even double up the filters to make extra sure. The French press makes good coffee too, except that it lets in the smaller powdery grounds. I'm very fussy about grounds getting in, otherwise I'd use a press.

My coffee grounds kept telling me "you need better quality filters in your future". :)
Ha

Well, I am not sure if you'd like Turkish coffee or not now, you are sending mixed signals! I know you like it strong, black, and sweet, which is totally Turkish. And the whole process of making it is a tiny side step from what you do already. I don't care for sweet unless is insanely strong, as Turkish and straight espresso are. But you don't like even super fine grounds, and though almost all of the grounds settle to the bottom of the cup/mug with Turkish, you get some grit, similar to French press, especially those last few sips. I don't mind chewing my coffee a little in exchange for the flavor.
Here's the last video that Dusty was in, about a half year before he got sick:

D49qaPWs_lw
Oh he was great, very very handsome and big.

Reminds me of my big ole orange tom cat (the meow was similar too), who now lives with my mom so he's really hers at this point. Couldn't bear to move him again when he was/is clearly happy there, getting pretty old, and he has a companion cat. But I miss him constantly.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Jack wrote:

Phil is always flouting his French Privilege. It makes me so mad I feel a blog coming on. I'll just burst into tears first.

You...you..."people" are just horrbile. I'm shaking with tears of rage in my eyes right now! I have to ask, though, what is "café bleu"? I've never heard of it.

CH2O: John Greg has the correct assessment of my POV on links to FTB. A bit of detail is always good, and may even sometimes make me click on the link. Or there's that freezpage others use. Anyway, somebody else provided the link a few posts after your, so it's alright.

And Benson is getting more and more insane.

lost control

Post by lost control »

Jerry Coyne wrote:None of this controversy bothers me a whit. What does bother me is that fellow anti-creationists P. Z. Myers and Larry Moran have, while decrying the class, defended Hedin’s way to teach it as he does, arguing that it’s a professor’s right to teach exactly what he wants to, even if that involves the lies of creationism and ID.
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... te-affair/

hmm...

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Shut up frenchy

That is all.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Sorry for not providing links earlier.
Here's a link to another reply:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-552812
hjhornbeck

May 25, 2013 at 11:09 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment

@139:

My mother threatened to come to my place of residence and tried to follow me on twitter. I’m actually facing a real person with bipolard disorder who owns a gun.

If you are facing a hostile relative, why did you just publicly post under an (apparently) non-anonymous name with a photo attached? A private email would have been more in line with Slyme Pit ideals, too. Talk this over behind the scenes first, don’t dial up the drama unnecessarily.
:shock:
I should note that the picture is gone but still... :shock:
If you were writing a dramatic movie about this and included this recent incident then everyone reading it would assume it's satire.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Rawrsome wrote:Shut up frenchy

That is all.
RACIST!!! RAAAACISSSTTTTTT!!!!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Apples

Post by Apples »

Kim Rippere and Elsa Roberts have left a fresh and stinky turd on the Secular Woman website for Lindsay and the rest of the secular community. From the closing paragraph:
Rippere/Roberts wrote:Feminism, sexism, privilege, patriarchy, and identity politics are all concepts that are readily available to research via the internet. The seemingly perpetual need within the secular community to have more and new dialogue, instruction, and education on these topics is a microaggression. The assumption that it is a feminist’s role and responsibility to educate, educate, educate the oppressor is completely unbalanced. Do some work, get educated.
That's right, folks - feminism, sexism, privilege, patriarchy, and identity politics are off the table for discussion -- bringing them up for dialogue or debate is a microaggression. :think:

http://www.secularwoman.org/your_pov_is_not_default

(I just got myself some edumacation by reading their link to the wiki entry on microaggression: I learned that "microrape" is "characterized by predatory non-physical prurient communications with the intent to penetrate the victim's emotional security on the basis of heteronormative impositions.")

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Lsuoma wrote:
zenbabe wrote: "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love"
I like my coffee like I like my women: roasted, ground and boiled.
I too like my coffee like I like my women: Tied up in a sack and thrown on the back of a donkey by Juan Valdez.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Apples wrote:Kim Rippere and Elsa Roberts have left a fresh and stinky turd on the Secular Woman website for Lindsay and the rest of the secular community. From the closing paragraph:
Rippere/Roberts wrote:Feminism, sexism, privilege, patriarchy, and identity politics are all concepts that are readily available to research via the internet. The seemingly perpetual need within the secular community to have more and new dialogue, instruction, and education on these topics is a microaggression. The assumption that it is a feminist’s role and responsibility to educate, educate, educate the oppressor is completely unbalanced. Do some work, get educated.
That's right, folks - feminism, sexism, privilege, patriarchy, and identity politics are off the table for discussion -- bringing them up for dialogue or debate is a microaggression. :think:

(I just got myself some edumacation by reading their link to the wiki entry on microaggression: I learned that "microrape" is "characterized by predatory non-physical prurient communications with the intent to penetrate the victim's emotional security on the basis of heteronormative impositions.")
Also, I like the passive-aggressive ploy: It's not up to me to make my case and defend my position, it's YOUR responsibility to do research until you agree with me.

A big honk from the clown car.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

jjbinx007 wrote:It's strange to see stuff written by Ophie that's more than a couple of years old. She's so very different to how she was then.
I know. Back then, I even used to have her pre-FtB Butterflies & Wheels listed in my blogroll. The change in her, and the massive degradation of quality (and subjects) of her writing, has actually been depressing to watch for me. She's gone from a reasonably talented writer with interesting things to say to a self-obsessed and paranoid old lady who peers from a crack in her blinds, sure that those dratted neighbor kids are going to toilet-paper the trees in her front yard at any second.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

Apples wrote:I learned that "microrape" is "characterized by predatory non-physical prurient communications with the intent to penetrate the victim's emotional security on the basis of heteronormative impositions.")
Are you really sure that "learned" is the correct word for what you have experienced? Please consider that you may have been microbullshitted.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ophelia wrote:
On it goes. I did have plans to talk about now for something completely different today, that is, to talk about a lot of things that have nothing to do with local harassment, but – it keeps rolling in and some of it needs documenting.
Translation: "i would have quoted from something important for a change, and even though I don't have to work for a living, my precious time is limited and I really need to document this egregiously offensive and rape-threatening We heart Justin photoshop that I found while scouring the internetz. Also I want to post another photo with my face in it because I'm vain and that new blogger Yemmy does it."

My familiarity with the skeptics/freethought community is fairly recent and limited to the online segment, and I've no intention of reading any of Benson's co-authored books, so I'm lacking any positive associations. "Attention whore" seems a pretty accurate description for her at the moment.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Apples wrote:Kim Rippere and Elsa Roberts have left a fresh and stinky turd on the Secular Woman website for Lindsay and the rest of the secular community. From the closing paragraph:

Yup. They want their overly simplistic, sexist ideology to be the "default" for intellectual discussion. One word to say to that.

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupe

Their ideology and models have more holes than swiss cheese. And they're not in all the least bit interested in plugging up those holes. It's also why as gender egalitarianism gains more of a social and intellectual foothold, feminism as a movement will be relegated to the sexists.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

AndrewV69 wrote:Sarah Hoyt rips somebody a new one:
http://accordingtohoyt.com/2013/05/25/raping-history/
Which means, at the end, I am entitled to sneer at them. A writer can sneer at whores. More importantly, someone who rapes history in order to conceive a bastard is entitled to sneer at someone who has snuff sex with history and leaves her bleeding corpse in an alley, entrails ripped out, unable to conceive ever again.

And that’s what I’m doing.
(She no like Dan Brown methinks)
Her review is more sizzle than steak, it seems to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the thesis of Holy Blood Holy Grail is nonsense; but that's mostly because I seem to recall the authors admitting it at some point. As far as proving it's nonsense using historical evidence, all Hoyt really seems interested in doing is presenting a snooty argument from incredulity over and over and over, as in: "How can anybody be so stupid as to believe that? It makes no sense!" Not much beyond that though.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote:
Aneris wrote:Aunt Ophelia is the Lord Voldemort of the community. Her name shall not be named. It doesn't stop her from mentioning other people, who named her first, who named her after being named, which was after... whatever.
What the fuck is her problem with Vacula mentioning her? For each time he mentions her, he mentions himself a hundred times! Jeez, FeeFee, have a sense of proportion!
It seems that she (and the rest of FtB) are intent on making Justin the representative Satan of all those they consider their enemy. Which is fine by me; whatever Justin's faults, he's about as harmless and mild-mannered as they come. If that's who Peezus and Co. want as their bogeyman, it just shows how completely disproportionate and out of touch with reality they have become.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 02bf05.jpg