Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by deLurch »

welch wrote:"Dear Dick". That's why it gets done. They want the "right" to backhand insult someone, I fail to see the problem in returning the favor on a very minimal level.
I agree that is someone dishes it out, they had better be willing to take it too.

However in the Gundar scenerio above, neither "Dick" nor "Ophie" are permitted. I am OK with a level playing field. It is his backyard and he isn't being hypocritical about it. All "Dicks" & "Ophies" need to go somewhere else.
welch wrote:Since she has no problem doing the same thing to others, I fail to see why I should care about her offense in this area.
I will agree with that too.
welch wrote:He is indeed being quite strict. He's the only one allowed to do it, and he shows this by dismissing any and all disagreement as "emo".
Emo is describing behavior. And I will fully admit that describing behavior can become a bit of a grey area. I am reasonably certain, I could craft a description of behavior that is fully condescending and diminutive to someone else. And I am also perfectly capable of attempting to craft a more clinical description of behavior. I don't think you will ever get a clear line in the sand when it comes to describing behavior.
welch wrote:Unless it's him doing the slandering. Then it's fully-founded.
Honestly, some of Mykeru's video productions do come across as a bit emo. It's a style and it is consistent. That along with his eloquent stories crafted together with his audio and visual work is a big part of what makes his work so enjoyable to watch. It isn't slander if it is true.

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

As long as we're having a cute dog contest I'll just go ahead and win the thread with my nephew
Attachments
63011_10200231846771464_1868579219_n.jpg
Mr. Teddy
(84.38 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Yeah, yeah. I know a majority of you aren't keen on AVfM. However, there is a recent post put out there I find extremely interesting. The menz and those with male-type children might also be very interested in reading this - http://www.avoiceformen.com/men/mens-he ... kills-men/.

I bring this up because this is *exactly* the kind of cancer my guy just dealt with.
Ouch Renee. I guess everyone should get tested for HPV.

Here in BC the vaccine is free for young women born in 1991, 1992, or 1993 (everyone else has to pay).
http://immunizebc.ca/diseases-vaccinati ... /HPV19to21

Also, while we are on the subject it is probably not a bad idea to verify you have been vaccinated for Hep A & B and a few others.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dave wrote:If you are going to spend time whining that people are not living up to your rules, I would think you could spend more than four words to specify what they are.
In his defense, he is specifying what in posts crosses his line and allowing people to resubmit with what is inside his lines. By voicing decent, this guy has a tiger by the tail and he knows it. He is doing everything he can to voice decent while trying to prevent the people he is criticizing from having ammo to smear him with. He isn't worried about us. He is worried about them.

Also, when it comes to moderation, sometimes stating less about the rules is more effective. I wish I could find the post, but it is many years back.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Git wrote:
I don't know about fascist tits, but here's some fascist pussy:
It's raining cats and dogs at the pit - this one is my favourite fascist pussy:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/arch ... 82907a.jpg

sacha

Re: Ophelia the Zookeeper Made Me Do It

Post by sacha »

Michael K Gray wrote:yes Sacha. Look at me whilst I am talking to you please. No, not through a periscope.

hahahaha!!

welch

Post by welch »

deLurch wrote:
welch wrote:"Dear Dick". That's why it gets done. They want the "right" to backhand insult someone, I fail to see the problem in returning the favor on a very minimal level.
I agree that is someone dishes it out, they had better be willing to take it too.

However in the Gundar scenerio above, neither "Dick" nor "Ophie" are permitted. I am OK with a level playing field. It is his backyard and he isn't being hypocritical about it. All "Dicks" & "Ophies" need to go somewhere else.
welch wrote:Since she has no problem doing the same thing to others, I fail to see why I should care about her offense in this area.
I will agree with that too.
welch wrote:He is indeed being quite strict. He's the only one allowed to do it, and he shows this by dismissing any and all disagreement as "emo".
Emo is describing behavior. And I will fully admit that describing behavior can become a bit of a grey area. I am reasonably certain, I could craft a description of behavior that is fully condescending and diminutive to someone else. And I am also perfectly capable of attempting to craft a more clinical description of behavior. I don't think you will ever get a clear line in the sand when it comes to describing behavior.
welch wrote:Unless it's him doing the slandering. Then it's fully-founded.
Honestly, some of Mykeru's video productions do come across as a bit emo. It's a style and it is consistent. That along with his eloquent stories crafted together with his audio and visual work is a big part of what makes his work so enjoyable to watch. It isn't slander if it is true.
The point is, to ban "ophie" because of what may be the most uncommon interpretation ever, and then to dismiss all criticism as (over) emo(tional) and be surprised that people aren't taking that as charitably as possible is remarkably hypocritical. He wants everyone to play by rules he refuses to apply to himself in the least.

sacha

Post by sacha »

codelette wrote:Hi, I logged in to objectify sacha by saying "damn woman, dat ass!".

Regards,
Another chill girl

I bask in your objectification

actually that's nothing, sadly, my arse seems to disappear a bit every year. If you happen to see it somewhere, please let it know how much I miss it.

I'll see if I can take a photo of a photo well enough to post. in my late teens I had a arse that made the black girls jealous (hah).

ah, those were the days...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

sacha wrote:
actually that's nothing, sadly, my arse seems to disappear a bit every year. If you happen to see it somewhere, please let it know how much I miss it.
I have the exact opposite problem.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Metalogic42 wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:I’m planning to write to the board to suggest that Dr. Lindsay go through a training program to help him understand what he did wrong, and learn not to do it again.
These whackjobs are just begging for a re-education center on their very own gulag.

Yes! Lindsay must be reprogrammed for the heinous crime of suggesting that self-proclaimed skeptics actually use skepticism.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Welcome, H. Korban. If you like to travel, and if you like sex, then simply follow the suggestions given by others here.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Aneris wrote:The first time I actually ran into Oolon. After I gave him the facts, he suggests that I exclude myself from commenting, since he doesn't like them.

Daniel Fincke vs. Justin Vacula on Feminism in the Atheist Movement
Brian G. is a bit of a cunt too.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

So Remember Me. A game that was given a lot of publicity seemingly because it featured a woman as the main character, but also because of its premise and the promise of a good story.

I remember saying that main characters being female or male is irrelevant, if the story and the gameplay doesn't add up. And 'lo and behold, it appears that just because the main character is a woman doesn't automatically mean the game is amazing or even good. Right now it's at a score of 68 at Metacritic, with the user score being roughly the same, having gone down from the original 74, and it might even go down more as time passes. Main criticisms seems to be the story didn't live up to its promise, the gameplay repetetive, the platforming weak and the design choices poor, while general praise with the ambition of the story and the world design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_M ... #Reception

Maybe Anita Sarkeesian will take this on board when she analyzes importance of female/male protagonists in games. (She won't.)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Pretty good article on the subject. From what I have read before 5% to 21% was what the incidence was pegged at, but if the upper limit is 50%? I might have to review some of my assumptions, among them the reasons for not reporting.

What Science Says About Arousal During Rape
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... uring-rape
There have been very few studies on orgasm during rape, but the research so far shows numbers from 10% to over 50% having this experience. In my experience as a therapist, it has been somewhat less than half of the girls/women I’ve worked with. (For the record, I have worked with very few boys/men who reported this.) In professional discussions, colleagues report similar numbers.”

Altair

Post by Altair »

sacha wrote:
codelette wrote:Hi, I logged in to objectify sacha by saying "damn woman, dat ass!".

Regards,
Another chill girl

That's one of the things I don't understand about the "objectification crowd".

As a man, I don't get noticed as much as women do, but from time to time a woman will stare at me for an extra 2 or 3 seconds while walking past me, and it makes me feel so objectified :(

Just kidding! it makes me feel fucking good to know that some random woman on the street thinks I'm good looking, so I can't see how someone could feel violated and dehumanized by someone merely recognizing they are attractive and interesting. Probably the thing that causes that is the negative associations they make up in their own minds.

Although now that I think about it, the SJW's usually complain about OTHER women getting objectified, it's rarely someone complaining about they themselves being objectified. So it could also be that they're really bothered that others are getting what they're not.
sacha wrote: actually that's nothing, sadly, my arse seems to disappear a bit every year. If you happen to see it somewhere, please let it know how much I miss it.
If I find it, I'll be sure to send it your way, but be aware that it could arrive ... slightly used

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Yeah, yeah. I know a majority of you aren't keen on AVfM. However, there is a recent post put out there I find extremely interesting. The menz and those with male-type children might also be very interested in reading this - http://www.avoiceformen.com/men/mens-he ... kills-men/.

I bring this up because this is *exactly* the kind of cancer my guy just dealt with.
This has been on the BBC over the last couple of days, surrounding Michael Douglas' diagnosis. I didn't bring it up here, though, because I know how much you and and have been going through.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

deLurch wrote:
Dave wrote:If you are going to spend time whining that people are not living up to your rules, I would think you could spend more than four words to specify what they are.
In his defense, he is specifying what in posts crosses his line and allowing people to resubmit with what is inside his lines. By voicing decent, this guy has a tiger by the tail and he knows it. He is doing everything he can to voice decent while trying to prevent the people he is criticizing from having ammo to smear him with. He isn't worried about us. He is worried about them.

Also, when it comes to moderation, sometimes stating less about the rules is more effective. I wish I could find the post, but it is many years back.
In other words, he prefers his commentariat to consist of adults able to discern the spirit of the place without having a 1000 page policy and not so egotistical that they bridle and go all "but he did it too" when corrected. It's not difficult to discern the difference between clearly stating why you disrespect someone and using belittling names. If you are the kind of person that needs that spelled out then I think you'd still be trying to push the boundaries with a library of policy documents.

Git

Post by Git »

AndrewV69 wrote:
H. Korban wrote: I was raised (in India) in the perhaps the most misoginistic religious tradition of all: Islam.
As Salam Alaikum,

This may be a construed as none of my business so feel free not to answer.

However, I was wondering if you could tell me which branch of Islam you were raised in? Could you be specific in your answer and so for example say Dawoodi Bohra rather than just Shia? (I am not assuming that you are Shia).

Finally, you have already been given the traditional welcome so no doubt someone else will eventually post the traditional basket of links.
With pleasure:

http://www.lifewithcats.tv/wp-content/u ... et-cat.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

A poor German tries to apply logic to english phrases.

because the whole channel is awesome

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Altair wrote:
sacha wrote:

Regards,
Another chill girl

That's one of the things I don't understand about the "objectification crowd".

As a man, I don't get noticed as much as women do, but from time to time a woman will stare at me for an extra 2 or 3 seconds while walking past me, and it makes me feel so objectified :(

Just kidding! it makes me feel fucking good to know that some random woman on the street thinks I'm good looking, so I can't see how someone could feel violated and dehumanized by someone merely recognizing they are attractive and interesting. Probably the thing that causes that is the negative associations they make up in their own minds.

Although now that I think about it, the SJW's usually complain about OTHER women getting objectified, it's rarely someone complaining about they themselves being objectified. So it could also be that they're really bothered that others are getting what they're not.
sacha wrote: actually that's nothing, sadly, my arse seems to disappear a bit every year. If you happen to see it somewhere, please let it know how much I miss it.
If I find it, I'll be sure to send it your way, but be aware that it could arrive ... slightly used
You have spinach in your teeth.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

skepandsprinkles wrote:As long as we're having a cute dog contest I'll just go ahead and win the thread with my nephew
Erm, from what I your nephew does not look too impressed with whatever was going on at the time.
bhoytony wrote:
sacha wrote:
Quit bitching. Neither of you two have a problem unless it starts sagging or drops. Then you got a problem.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Pitchguest wrote:So Remember Me. A game that was given a lot of publicity seemingly because it featured a woman as the main character, but also because of its premise and the promise of a good story.

I remember saying that main characters being female or male is irrelevant, if the story and the gameplay doesn't add up. And 'lo and behold, it appears that just because the main character is a woman doesn't automatically mean the game is amazing or even good. Right now it's at a score of 68 at Metacritic, with the user score being roughly the same, having gone down from the original 74, and it might even go down more as time passes. Main criticisms seems to be the story didn't live up to its promise, the gameplay repetetive, the platforming weak and the design choices poor, while general praise with the ambition of the story and the world design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_M ... #Reception

Maybe Anita Sarkeesian will take this on board when she analyzes importance of female/male protagonists in games. (She won't.)
She'll probably talk about the game but will say/imply that the real reason the game is getting negative reviews is teh patriarchy.
I don't know if you're aware of it, but Remember Me is more or less (in)famous because the game's creative director said during an interview that several publishers refused to publish the game because it had a female character.

Is it possible that they said that? of course, but I find it highly suspicious that someone would use that as a refusal to fund a game saying that a female character would not sell, taking into account that:

- The Tomb Raider franchise has sold more than 8 million units
- Parasite Eve I and II have sold about 2 million units
- Resident Evil 3 sold 3.72 million copies
- Bayonetta sold 1.35 million units
- Final Fantasy X-2, with an all female cast, sold almost 4 million units

Taking into account those figures, I find it hard to believe that companies will refuse a game because of a female character.
It's just a suspicion with no evidence, but to me it sounds like an attempt to create controversy and attract publicity for the game.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote: I'll see if I can take a photo of a photo well enough to post. in my late teens I had a arse that made the black girls jealous (hah).
Why take a photo of a photo of what was? I say, drop trou and take a picture of that pressed ham as is. We'll replicate it and DOS attack it right over the Freethought Blog lines like a screaming Soviet rocket barrage.

Fuck the Geneva Conventions, I say! The war is ours to be won.

Altair

Post by Altair »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
You have spinach in your teeth.
Stop spinach-fying me! :o

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lsuoma wrote:

This has been on the BBC over the last couple of days, surrounding Michael Douglas' diagnosis. I didn't bring it up here, though, because I know how much you and and have been going through.
It's all good :) The simple fact is if it's not talked about, it won't be looked at. My guy, being the extremely effective "puller" that he was, is, and always shall be, has had consequences for his ongoing endeavor to ensure women everywhere leave with a giant smile on their faces :D He's not happy that he had to deal with cancer as a result of this but he will never regret the smiles. And for that I love him all the more :D

treestump

Post by treestump »

bovarchist wrote:If I ever refer to Ophelia Benson as Ophie, I assure you that yes, my purpose is to insult her. Without stating an opinion on whether Gurdur is right to block name-callers, I think he is right to consider 'Ophie' an example of such.
yep, "Ophie" is an "insult" for sure from me also (yes, that's right Ophie: it's not harassment, or abuse, or any imagined threat, it's an "insult"). Just in case you are reading this Ophie (and I'm sure you do as you are such an out-of-control narcissist) here is a reminder of exactly WHY you are so deserving of constant ridicule http://goo.gl/qUGx8 . That's right, it's not out of malice that you are mocked, but just out of a sense of fairness; it's just a well-reasoned and ethical response. Obviously, you are fully aware of all of your deliberate lies, deceitful twisting of others words, professional victimhood, repulsive censorship, aggressive doxxing, hate-filled denialism, and world-class nutbaggery are (or if it is at all possible that you are forgot; again, please study the above link to learn more), but then again, I suspect you do all of this for attention as it's hard to believe that even the dumbest village idiot would do or say the things that you do.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

deLurch wrote: Emo is describing behavior.
But according to you, "behaving like a little shit" isn't describing behavior, it's just name-calling.

Interesting.

You can respond all you want about rules in a fight, but I'll just boot you in the nutsack like Harvey Logan got in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/b ... _small.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Update for those who missed it:

Comment from Ericka M. Johnson, President Seattle Atheists
First off, I want to say how powerfully grateful I am to have Skep Tickle on the board of Seattle Atheists. She didn't want to run for office but I'm glad we were able to talk her into it because we are better off thanks to her work. She is a thoughtful and diligent skeptic. She's been vaccinated against fallacies and can see things from all sides. She is willing to listen to criticism of her ideas and can to admit when she's wrong (provided you actually manage to prove her wrong.)
Full comment is here:
http://heathen-hub.com/blog.php?bt=9287

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I'm going to do my bit for the pit pr campaign.

A fact fucking cunt, is, a fat fucking cunt. Insane staffy is a fat fucking cunt.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Za-zen wrote:I'm going to do my bit for the pit pr campaign.

A fact fucking cunt, is, a fat fucking cunt. Insane staffy is a fat fucking cunt.
Just remember to follow the rules:

[youtube]NPqhm36sjVE[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

AndrewV69 wrote:
skepandsprinkles wrote:As long as we're having a cute dog contest I'll just go ahead and win the thread with my nephew
Erm, from what I your nephew does not look too impressed with whatever was going on at the time.
bhoytony wrote:
sacha wrote:
Quit bitching. Neither of you two have a problem unless it starts sagging or drops. Then you got a problem.
Getting larger is a problem. Being a WAH person, this is a problem. Especially since it takes way too much motivation to get me out, about, and f'ing walking as I should.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
deLurch wrote: Emo is describing behavior.
But according to you, "behaving like a little shit" isn't describing behavior, it's just name-calling.

Interesting.

You can respond all you want about rules in a fight, but I'll just boot you in the nutsack like Harvey Logan got in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/b ... _small.jpg

"Emo" as a standalone word is also a descriptive for a group of people and a genre of music. It is rarely used kindly. This is a known, common thing to millions of people. I can actually prove that. Gurdur's proof for "Ophie = oafie" is....?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Altair wrote:be aware that it could arrive ... slightly used
great! then it will match the rest of me

Altair

Post by Altair »

AndrewV69 wrote:Update for those who missed it:

First off, I want to say how powerfully grateful I am to have Skep Tickle on the board of Seattle Atheists. She didn't want to run for office but I'm glad we were able to talk her into it because we are better off thanks to her work. She is a thoughtful and diligent skeptic. She's been vaccinated against fallacies and can see things from all sides. She is willing to listen to criticism of her ideas and can to admit when she's wrong (provided you actually manage to prove her wrong.)
Full comment is here:
Ah, a very serendipitous comment, Andrew. While checking Ophelia's twitter timeline, I was wondering who Ericka Johnson was. She's been having a very long conversation with Ophelia about Skeptickle, which apparently started by Ericka tweeting that she supports Dr. Tickle
Needless to say, Ophelia is not happy with that, and has been trying to convince Ericka that SkepTickle is eeeeevil.

sacha

Post by sacha »

welch wrote:A poor German tries to apply logic to english phrases.

because the whole channel is awesome

HAHAHAHA

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Puppy!

Ahem.

I mean. Puppy. :shifty:

Also, sprinkles, I watched your video on Women in Secularism. I couldn't agree more. Great video. :D

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Yemisi Ilesanmi proves to be a good FTBer in not being able to handle even mild criticism.
Currie Jean wrote:Why not use Amina’s original photo? The one with her breasts still in it.
The response is the standard FTB snark and evasion:
Yemisi Ilesanmi wrote:Oh goodness me! You mean I did not use the picture with the boobies and nipples? Gosh, how did that even happen! You even generously provided the evidence of the missing boobies and nipples. And to think I am an ardent fan of boobies How dare I not notice nipples were missing! I guess I did not stare hard enough at the chosen pic to realize that the boobs were missing and the nipples invisible. I must have been distracted by the words scrawled on her body and the heavy subject matter of my blogpost. How do I even begin to ask for forgiveness for this unimaginable slip. Do i still get to claim that I love boobies?

Yeah, she totally hadn't noticed that the nipples in her photo of Amina Tyler had been edited away. As if women always have two nebulous patches on top of their breasts.
Yemisi Ilesanmi wrote:JustAtheist
The irony of editing this brave woman’s photo is staggering.
What is staggering is the level some people stoop to concoct conspiracy theories and suddenly see non existent ironies when they don’t see as much boobies as they expected. That is the irony.
No, I don’t feel sorry for Yemisi, who produces walls of text that make your fingers ache from scrolling, only to attract from zero to four comments (rarely more). Her first few posts had more than a hundred. Then she posted her Comment Policy:
Yemisi Ilesanmi wrote:Slimy comments are not welcomed; please leave the hideousness in the pit where you crawled from. I ain’t got no time for your shit, dump it in the pit.

Anti Atheism+ commenters, please bear in mind that I am not interested in the story of how much you hate Atheismplus, I have heard enough of that to last me a lifetime. (...)

Anti FTB commenters, please do not drag whatever baggage you have with other FTB bloggers into my space. (...) However, if you are a known hater or cyber bully, and so much as attack any commenter on my blog, you won’t be given a warning before I slam you with a ban.

(...) My Poems- I am a poet, I write poems and I post my poems on my blog. I appreciate that not everyone is going to like my poems, it might not be to your taste but remember, this is my blog, my own space and you have to treat it like you are a guest in my home.

Responsible adults know that manners are very important when one is a guest in a home. We teach children to behave properly especially when they are guests in other peoples’ homes. You do not have the right to be mannerless in my space. Yes, my blog is visible to the public and my posts are open for comments, but that still does not mean you have the liberty to come in and rain abuses on my poems or throw insults at me.

(...)

Remember, my poems are my works of art, this blog is my space, you are a guest, therefore you must mind your manners.

You are not forced to like or comment on my poems, you are not forced to buy it as it is not for sale on this blog, I am serving it as a free buffet, therefore throwing tantrums or insults at not just the poem but also the poet is ill-mannered and will not be tolerated. [Etc.]
Like all people who think they are always right she is not interested in dialogue. Preaching to the choir, which is mainly what she is doing on her blog, is not going to attract a crowd.

This is another FTBlogger you can skip, unless you love (or love to laugh at) cringeworthy 'poetry' and as long as you keep your opinion about her 'art' to yourself; to do otherwise would be near suicidal.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... /#comments
http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... nt-policy/

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

AndrewV69 wrote:
H. Korban wrote: I was raised (in India) in the perhaps the most misoginistic religious tradition of all: Islam.
However, I was wondering if you could tell me which branch of Islam you were raised in? Could you be specific in your answer and so for example say Dawoodi Bohra rather than just Shia? (I am not assuming that you are Shia).
If I tell you the branch, it would not be hard to figure out everything about me. Yes, I was raised in a Shia environment, in a form of Ismailism. I maintain an interest in the philosophical aspects of the religion, even though I am no longer religious myself.

Talking about the branch: turns out that doxxing someone from my community can have a very detrimental effect. For example, it can lead to, in certain instances, violence, if not to oneself, to ones close family back in India. One does not want to mess around with the mullahs, if one can help it.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote: I'll see if I can take a photo of a photo well enough to post. in my late teens I had a arse that made the black girls jealous (hah).
Why take a photo of a photo of what was? I say, drop trou and take a picture of that pressed ham as is. We'll replicate it and DOS attack it right over the Freethought Blog lines like a screaming Soviet rocket barrage.

Fuck the Geneva Conventions, I say! The war is ours to be won.
HAHAHAHA!

I went directly from the "party pooper" video to this.
I have to shower and go to "work" for a while, I'm already late (as usual) and I can't stop laughing. my dog is giving me the "mum is barking mad" look.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

I think that article was mostly fair.
I wouldn't, however, conclude that the fact that Gardasil is only routinely offered to girls is a form of discrimination against men. Immunization against HPV is relatively new in medical terms and as such they are likely to begin with the group most at risk (in which case it is females, who are at risk of HPV related cervical cancer.) Remember, women, like men, are at risk for HPV associated throat cancers but it's not those that the Gardasil is meant to prevent. But the vaccine is a good preventative for many HPV related tumors.

So yes, Gardasil should be offered for all children, regardless of sex.
The problem was, we werent *sure* whether men got enough of a benefit from the vaccine to ethically let them have it. Just because it would be better for *women* if men got it (reduced transmission) it wasnt ethical for the vaccine to be mandated for boys if they had *no direct benefit* that outweighed the risks of vaccination. Combine that with the initial Religious Right view that only gays would need the vaccine (anal cancer), plus weird generalized distrust of the HPV shots (THEYRE GONNA KILL YOUUUUUUUUUUU!), there you go.

It has been clear for a *while* now, however (I was talking about it in 2011), that HPV is associated with head/neck/throat cancers, and it should have been pushed harder. Thats why I am pumped about Michael Douglas talking about it, whether his was caused by HPV or not.
ReneeHendricks wrote:I also don't think it's a form of discrimination. However, I was really surprised at what I found out regarding my guy's cancer - there has been a distinct rise in throat/neck/tongue related cancers in men over the past decade. This sort of cancer used to be associated with smoking/tobacco use. Now they're finding much more HPV caused cancers.
Y U NO READ MY BLAG! I BEEN RITING ABOOT THIS FOR YEARS!

:P
ReneeHendricks wrote:Even scarier? It took them 9 *months* to figure out what Douglas had. I'm glad my guy had his found out in much less time.
I went in for a dentist check-up today. They were all over this, and had gotten some 'reminders' from admins/superiors that they were supposed to be doing basic screenings during their dental exams. This is the *first* time in my whole life someone did the kind of screening my lady did. I think its something that is frequently overlooked/forgotten by some first-line responders (dentists/hygienists).
AndrewV69 wrote:Ouch Renee. I guess everyone should get tested for HPV.
Cant. There is no 'test'. Individual lesions/tumors can be tested, though. But you cant just take some blood or look for an antibody.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Can that tube thing that it has got stuck in be surgically removed?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

bhoytony wrote:
sacha wrote:
You're accumulating sacha's arse?

sacha

Post by sacha »

KiwiInOz wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
sacha wrote:
You're accumulating sacha's arse?

HAHAHAHA!

tell him to give it back!!!!

Mark Thomas

Post by Mark Thomas »

Altair wrote:

Full comment is here:
Ah, a very serendipitous comment, Andrew. While checking Ophelia's twitter timeline, I was wondering who Ericka Johnson was. She's been having a very long conversation with Ophelia about Skeptickle, which apparently started by Ericka tweeting that she supports Dr. Tickle
Needless to say, Ophelia is not happy with that, and has been trying to convince Ericka that SkepTickle is eeeeevil.
Ophelia is pushing yet another rational person away...I wonder what the endgame of this whole saga will look like...

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ERV wrote: Y U NO READ MY BLAG! I BEEN RITING ABOOT THIS FOR YEARS!
1. You have a blag?

2. Is there a Canadian diaspora in Oklahoma?

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Yes, my sister has a habit of sticking him in those horrible sweaters. Then he goes to my mom, dad, or me and gives you that sad look that says "Please, I don't know what I did to deserve this, but please take it off."
And then we do.
We're hoping she'll stop torturing Teddy when she reproduces.
Also, sprinkles, I watched your video on Women in Secularism. I couldn't agree more. Great video.
Thanks!

Mark Thomas

Post by Mark Thomas »

treestump wrote:here is a reminder of exactly WHY you are so deserving of constant ridicule http://goo.gl/qUGx8

That's the first time I'd seen that - comedy gold. Was the sender ever doxxed?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ERV wrote: Y U NO READ MY BLAG! I BEEN RITING ABOOT THIS FOR YEARS!

:P
It's on my list o' things to read, I swear! I've gotten so many lately, I'm falling behind. Oh, and I just landed a new full-time "I'm in charge of a bunch of people online" job that is going to take even more of my time, damn it! But, I'll make sure I check yer blog out this weekend!!!!

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Jan Steen wrote:Yemisi Ilesanmi proves to be a good FTBer in not being able to handle even mild criticism.
Currie Jean wrote:Why not use Amina’s original photo? The one with her breasts still in it.
Yemisi Ilesanmi wrote:Oh goodness me! You mean I did not use the picture with the boobies and nipples? Gosh, how did that even happen! You even generously provided the evidence of the missing boobies and nipples. And to think I am an ardent fan of boobies How dare I not notice nipples were missing! I guess I did not stare hard enough at the chosen pic to realize that the boobs were missing and the nipples invisible. I must have been distracted by the words scrawled on her body and the heavy subject matter of my blogpost. How do I even begin to ask for forgiveness for this unimaginable slip. Do i still get to claim that I love boobies?

Yeah, she totally hadn't noticed that the nipples in her photo of Amina Tyler had been edited away. As if women always have two nebulous patches on top of their breasts.

[...]

It was a simple, open-ended question. I honestly didn't expect so much hostility. I was aware when I asked it that her post looked hypocritical, but then there could have been another reason for the censoring, of which I was not aware, so I wasn't about to start making absolute judgments. And she didn't even give an answer, just went on some weird snark-attack devoid of actual substance. I guess that's that then.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Goodness, Ophelia's really trying to paint Skep in the worst possible light. She also denies her doxxing, of course, and says Skep is LYING about HER.

It is objectively true that no one knew about Skep's affiliation with a local atheist organisation until Ophelia pointed it out. It seems Skep may have written with her real name first name a few times, but even that can be theorised to be an alias. However, Ophelia made it abundantly clear that, nope, that was her real first name and she's a BOARD member on a local atheist organisation which cannot possibly be Googled given some detective work. And then someone on Pharyngula really spilled the beans and voila, the doxxing comes full circle. With a little help from the slimy little shit himself. Then, after all their whinging on about how doxxing is always, always bad, when their reputation's on the line, it's "debatable." Zvan writes an ambiguous blog post about it, Ophelia attempts to justify it, PZ defends it, all the while with Justicar's "doxxing" of Jen McCreight fresh in their minds (which wasn't really a "doxxing" as all the information was redacted, from the original photo provided by Jen McCreight with all the information still intact, so he was in fact PROTECTING HER IDENTITY from being revealed).

So they've gone on and on how Justin is a demon because he happened to post Amy Roth's address, even though it wasn't meant maliciously in any way, and since then he's been treated as a boogeyman. But doxxing someone is apparently acceptable up to a point, and thus it can be argued that Amy Roth's situation at that time (issuing false DMCA's to people) could justify (at least, in the binary thinking of the SJW's) revealing her information. Of course it wasn't, and Justin apologised and requested for a removal of the information. But it's curious how that situation and this with Skep is being treated so differently. According to them, Skep is not being bullied by being doxxed; *she* is the one bullying *them*, and her doxxing is just deserts. You know. Blaming the victim.

It's their version of reality versus actual reality. Who's winning?

windy

Post by windy »

Clearly, another misguided chill girl standing in the way of Offy and Steffy's selfless efforts to get more women involved in atheist activism.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

curriejean wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Yemisi Ilesanmi proves to be a good FTBer in not being able to handle even mild criticism.

[...]

It was a simple, open-ended question. I honestly didn't expect so much hostility. I was aware when I asked it that her post looked hypocritical, but then there could have been another reason for the censoring, of which I was not aware, so I wasn't about to start making absolute judgments. And she didn't even give an answer, just went on some weird snark-attack devoid of actual substance. I guess that's that then.
That seems to be Yemisi's way of dealing with criticism. Like she recently discovered sarcasm and now she can't help but using it. When johngreg and I first went to her blog when she wrote a post about A+, she asked a question, "Why all the hate and tantrums?" (From people against the idea of A+) I wondered if she had all the facts to ask such a thing and got pilloried for it, where I actually conceded I hadn't read her post thoroughly enough, but johngreg's question was even less oblique. His was if she had any links to places expressing these hate and tantrums, and her reply to that was so disproportionate it could fill a Tardis.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... omment-251

She's seriously unhinged. Bipolar probably isn't enough to describe her.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

curriejean wrote:
Well, if you read between the lines, she claims that she hadn't noticed that the photo was censored.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Even for a snarky bunch of assholes like the worst of the FTB commentariat, reading whole paragraphs made of sarcasm must get extremely tedious. I cant even make language barrier excuses for her. Her writing is just painful to read.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Jan Steen wrote:
curriejean wrote:
Well, if you read between the lines, she claims that she hadn't noticed that the photo was censored.
I guess so maybe, but it's so steeped in hostility/sarcasm/snark/whatever, I can't even tell which parts she might be serious about. I mean, the original image is nearly twice the height of the cropped one she used. You don't need to notice a bit of blurring at the bottom (I didn't either at first) to realize it's censored. The "words scrawled on her body and the heavy subject matter" that apparently distracted her so much (to whatever degree of sarcasm she's using) are what are cropped out of the photo.

Blah. There's no point.

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:
curriejean wrote:

[...]

That seems to be Yemisi's way of dealing with criticism. Like she recently discovered sarcasm and now she can't help but using it. When johngreg and I first went to her blog when she wrote a post about A+, she asked a question, "Why all the hate and tantrums?" (From people against the idea of A+) I wondered if she had all the facts to ask such a thing and got pilloried for it, where I actually conceded I hadn't read her post thoroughly enough, but johngreg's question was even less oblique. His was if she had any links to places expressing these hate and tantrums, and her reply to that was so disproportionate it could fill a Tardis.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... omment-251

She's seriously unhinged. Bipolar probably isn't enough to describe her.
Because she's not used to people directly questioning her stances.

I see this a LOT, most recently on an overlong discussion about standards on App.net. People are generally not used to being told "Actually, you're wrong, and your opinion about <issue> is wrong as well, and therefore, somewhat immaterial. Here's how it ACTUALLY works, you should revise what you're saying." They get mad because they feel stupid, and in a sense, they were.

But it's when they decide that because you didn't somehow validate their error and made them feel bad by calling them out on their error that makes them actually right that things go off the rails. I've been called out on error pretty fucking brutally before, (I made a VERY stupid assumption about Uniform Type Identifiers on OS X once), and while I didn't like it, all the opinions I based on that error were in fact, wrong and of no value whatsoever. I didn't LIKE it, but it was how it was, and my opinion didn't really matter.

Yemmi will never accept being called wrong, even when presented with facts. Talking to her is like talking to the cat. Ally seems a lot smarter in that regard.

JAB

Post by JAB »

curriejean wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
curriejean wrote:
I guess so maybe, but it's so steeped in hostility/sarcasm/snark/whatever, I can't even tell which parts she might be serious about. I mean, the original image is nearly twice the height of the cropped one she used. You don't need to notice a bit of blurring at the bottom (I didn't either at first) to realize it's censored. The "words scrawled on her body and the heavy subject matter" that apparently distracted her so much (to whatever degree of sarcasm she's using) are what are cropped out of the photo.

Blah. There's no point.
I also find it deliciously ironic that you complained about the cropped out nipples and there's your avatar with a black band accross the money shot.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Altair wrote:

Full comment is here:
They might succeed in convincing her that the 'pit is evil though. Which would sort of be missing the point of it, but so it goes.

One of the prices of freedom is tolerating the existence of things you don't like. Ideally, one would recognize that just because you don't like something, that doesn't make it evil. Personally, I value the freedom here more than my preference to avoid seeing the random NSFW pics that get posted here sometimes. It really doesn't bother me that much, but if it did I would leave without complaint. I will make the *request* that people choose to post such images sparingly, because I would like to be able to browse the pit without accidentally shocking anybody nearby. As an alternative I'd suggest maybe a NSFW image thread that people could post images in, and then post the links to them here. To be clear: I suggest this as a voluntary measure for people who agree, those who don't should do as they will.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

H. Korban wrote:Talking about the branch: turns out that doxxing someone from my community can have a very detrimental effect. For example, it can lead to, in certain instances, violence, if not to oneself, to ones close family back in India. One does not want to mess around with the mullahs, if one can help it.
Jazak Allahu Khayran,

I understand, although I see that I could have phrased it more explicitly, but that was why I asked if you could tell me. For what it is worth, I tend to favour Shia over Sunni, and Ismaili more so.

(also to prevent any misunderstandings, you should consider me a kafir)