Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
AndrewV69

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by AndrewV69 »

Altair wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Update for those who missed it:

Comment from Ericka M. Johnson, President Seattle Atheists
First off, I want to say how powerfully grateful I am to have Skep Tickle on the board of Seattle Atheists. She didn't want to run for office but I'm glad we were able to talk her into it because we are better off thanks to her work. She is a thoughtful and diligent skeptic. She's been vaccinated against fallacies and can see things from all sides. She is willing to listen to criticism of her ideas and can to admit when she's wrong (provided you actually manage to prove her wrong.)
Full comment is here:
http://heathen-hub.com/blog.php?bt=9287
Ah, a very serendipitous comment, Andrew. While checking Ophelia's twitter timeline, I was wondering who Ericka Johnson was. She's been having a very long conversation with Ophelia about Skeptickle, which apparently started by Ericka tweeting that she supports Dr. Tickle
Needless to say, Ophelia is not happy with that, and has been trying to convince Ericka that SkepTickle is eeeeevil.
Oh Good luck with that. I suppose OB has no idea who she is talking to?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ERV wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Ouch Renee. I guess everyone should get tested for HPV.
Cant. There is no 'test'. Individual lesions/tumors can be tested, though. But you cant just take some blood or look for an antibody.
Oh great! Wonderful (not).

dogen

Post by dogen »

AndrewV69 wrote:
H. Korban wrote:Talking about the branch: turns out that doxxing someone from my community can have a very detrimental effect. For example, it can lead to, in certain instances, violence, if not to oneself, to ones close family back in India. One does not want to mess around with the mullahs, if one can help it.
Jazak Allahu Khayran,

I understand, although I see that I could have phrased it more explicitly, but that was why I asked if you could tell me. For what it is worth, I tend to favour Shia over Sunni, and Ismaili more so.

(also to prevent any misunderstandings, you should consider me a kafir)
Favor? For what, might I ask? You're not on the prowl for a gay-muslim-waifu, are you?

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

JAB wrote:
curriejean wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
curriejean wrote:
It was a simple, open-ended question. I honestly didn't expect so much hostility. I was aware when I asked it that her post looked hypocritical, but then there could have been another reason for the censoring, of which I was not aware, so I wasn't about to start making absolute judgments. And she didn't even give an answer, just went on some weird snark-attack devoid of actual substance. I guess that's that then.
Well, if you read between the lines, she claims that she hadn't noticed that the photo was censored.
I guess so maybe, but it's so steeped in hostility/sarcasm/snark/whatever, I can't even tell which parts she might be serious about. I mean, the original image is nearly twice the height of the cropped one she used. You don't need to notice a bit of blurring at the bottom (I didn't either at first) to realize it's censored. The "words scrawled on her body and the heavy subject matter" that apparently distracted her so much (to whatever degree of sarcasm she's using) are what are cropped out of the photo.

Blah. There's no point.
I also find it deliciously ironic that you complained about the cropped out nipples and there's your avatar with a black band accross the money shot.
It's a scan from a set of actual Winnie the Pooh Christmas cards. I gave them out to a few special friends last year after drawing the black band on myself to imply a money shot. I figured unnecessary censorship would suit the pit's theme well.

[youtube]Or1Xg4NXRws[/youtube]

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

cross posted from the gurdur thing
"I don’t see the pit as a uniform mass (confusing Eliza with Welch and Welch with Franc Hoggle? Never in my life!!!). I understand that you are different. Nevertheless, be honest: there is hardly a day without mentioning Ophelia, PZ or RW. That’s the focus and one would have to be blind not to see it. "

that is not the point. they of course get mentioned. but the previous unregistered (who was welch) was specifically pointing out that the comments would not be seen if THEY were not being specifically monitored.

who cares if someone is slagging someone else if its going on in 'that house over there, behind closed doors, but with a window open?' you already dont like that house or the occupants, you think the lawn is untended the siding is falling off, the pets unruly, and the place stinks.

and yet--you sneak onto the property to eavesdrop. you pay close attention to which friends visit and listen to what they say when coming an going. your friends follow those cars and listen from outside the window while youre sleeping, and cant wait to tell you what horrible things others are saying about you from inside their house, and you then yell at them from down the block and hang signs around the neighborhood calling attention to it. you ring the doorbells of five other neighbors and badger them about how horrible it is that one of your friends listened ALL NIGHT at their window and took COPIOUS NOTES about every slur and slight and you were FORCED TO LISTEN to all of this and they should ALL SHARE your personal outrage and host a block party to specifically not invite THOSE PEOPLE who never show up to them anyway.

for the love all that is double-blinded WHY??

if anyone around ophelia is guilty of harassment it is her commetariat who hunts down and searches for every scrap out there for her to take offense at, and ophelia herself for never once telling them 'i do not care in the slightest what they have to say, stop linking to them' and indeed constantly--CONSTANTLY engaging them.

and occasionally doxxing bystanders. because no matter what you think of this first part and the extended circumstance, it has no real connection and certainly no justification over her actions towards skep tickle.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Altair wrote: Needless to say, Ophelia is not happy with that, and has been trying to convince Ericka that SkepTickle is eeeeevil.
She's gone rather farther than that, if you look at her twitter feed. Nasty stream of narcissistic delusions and doubling down. Of course she's got her FtBuddies to feed her narcissistic supply of distorted reality. Finding out that Skep Tickle is a physician whose work benefits other human beings is definitely not the truth that Ophelia wanted to discover. How dare she be a decent, educated, and productive human being, when that doesn't fit Ophelia's mendacious, self-serving narrative?

So now Ophelia is going to try even harder to smear Skep Tickle, and the tweets with Ericka are consistent with that tactic. Her actions and words continue to be consistent with my guesses about her background. I'd look in the Social Register if I could be arsed to waste the time.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

LMU wrote:

One of the prices of freedom is tolerating the existence of things you don't like. Ideally, one would recognize that just because you don't like something, that doesn't make it evil. Personally, I value the freedom here more than my preference to avoid seeing the random NSFW pics that get posted here sometimes. It really doesn't bother me that much, but if it did I would leave without complaint. I will make the *request* that people choose to post such images sparingly, because I would like to be able to browse the pit without accidentally shocking anybody nearby. As an alternative I'd suggest maybe a NSFW image thread that people could post images in, and then post the links to them here. To be clear: I suggest this as a voluntary measure for people who agree, those who don't should do as they will.
Bold #1: Yup. Freedom isn't for wimps. Harden the fuck up and face the world. This is the thing about these SJW keyboard warriors that makes me ill. All their little problems and offences are someone else's fault and those offensive types should change their behavior to suit MEEEE!! I couldn't face myself in the mirror in the morning if I'd gone that pissant soft.

Bold#2: Nah, that's just silly. I mean, do what you want, but I'll take the Pyt as is. NSFW? Then don't read the Pyt at work. Granted, I know how tempting it is when the place is rolling hot! I've been there but had to wait until my office was cleared to check in. That's just the way it is. The spoiler tags helped, bu tyou know yo uwant to click it to see what's there! And fucking Mykeru ran a bunch of goatses with misleading spoiler titles a while back. Clicked a few of those buggers before I learned to control myself and skim to a later comment to see what was under there! :lol:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

windy wrote:porcupine fail
[youtube]dg5ZRoSRrDA[/youtube]
Honey Badger don't care!

JAB

Post by JAB »

curriejean wrote:
JAB wrote:
curriejean wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
curriejean wrote:
It was a simple, open-ended question. I honestly didn't expect so much hostility. I was aware when I asked it that her post looked hypocritical, but then there could have been another reason for the censoring, of which I was not aware, so I wasn't about to start making absolute judgments. And she didn't even give an answer, just went on some weird snark-attack devoid of actual substance. I guess that's that then.
Well, if you read between the lines, she claims that she hadn't noticed that the photo was censored.
I guess so maybe, but it's so steeped in hostility/sarcasm/snark/whatever, I can't even tell which parts she might be serious about. I mean, the original image is nearly twice the height of the cropped one she used. You don't need to notice a bit of blurring at the bottom (I didn't either at first) to realize it's censored. The "words scrawled on her body and the heavy subject matter" that apparently distracted her so much (to whatever degree of sarcasm she's using) are what are cropped out of the photo.

Blah. There's no point.
I also find it deliciously ironic that you complained about the cropped out nipples and there's your avatar with a black band accross the money shot.
It's a scan from a set of actual Winnie the Pooh Christmas cards. I gave them out to a few special friends last year after drawing the black band on myself to imply a money shot. I figured unnecessary censorship would suit the pit's theme well.
Oh, I got it, I just wanted to indicate my appreciation. It wasn't meant as a criticism.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Gumby wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:I’m planning to write to the board to suggest that Dr. Lindsay go through a training program to help him understand what he did wrong, and learn not to do it again.
These whackjobs are just begging for a re-education center on their very own gulag.

Yes! Lindsay must be reprogrammed for the heinous crime of suggesting that self-proclaimed skeptics actually use skepticism.

He's been commenting at Atheist revolution for a few days now. Random moments of actual reason entwined in great clumps of "WTF is he talking about?" Kind of like pretty strands of Christmas tinsel in cat shit.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

welch wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:My comment was not approved because I used "Ophie" three times. One was merely a mention of "nicknames are harassment" comment, so really, I only called her "Ophie" twice.
So, IF you want your comment to go through, resubmit using her full first name. Playground rules don't apply everywhere. I fully appreciate moderation rules that are clearly spelled out and applied in an even handed manner.
Gurdur states: " Note: the comments thread here underneath will be strictly off-limits to any empty name-calling."

I do not think "Ophie" falls under this. Should have been clearer about that.
Agree. Her name is Ophelia and there's no reason not to use it. There is nothing stopping people from clearly spelling out Benson's crimes without resorting to 'nicknames'. If Gurdur wants to focus on issues without the silly distractions then that's his right and it's not his issue if anyone doesn't like it. He doesn't ask anyone to change the substance of their posts. This is exactly what I was referring to earlier about anti-authoritarian puritanism where a reasonable request for self-restraint and moderation is seen as unacceptably censorious.
However, there's an actual *point* to "ophie". If that is such a great crime, then why is "Dick" Dawkins okay? If diminumtives are a crime when used by people they don't like, why are they okay when THEY use them.
different point to a different audience, tho. i believe gurdur would criticize that use in the same way.

i disagree that 'ophie' implies anything more to 'ophelia' than 'beccy' does for 'rebecca.' it is somewhat infantilizing nicknaming to be metaphorically patting them on the head like a child, accusations of childlike thinking or immaturaty, etc. i could see an 'oaf' insinuation only of 'oph' was used but again its besides the point, which is with jeuvanile nicknaming in general.

obviously his site his rules, and overall i think that goes a reasonable way towards cultivating a different tone and focusing on the criticism of actions. i don't actually see curbing irrelevant and distractionary personal mudslinging as a bad thing.

can always get your rocks off with that elsewhere. like here, you fuckfaces.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

JAB wrote: Oh, I got it, I just wanted to indicate my appreciation. It wasn't meant as a criticism.
Multiple ironies broke my brain so took the opportunity to boast, and maybe killed the joke in the process. Thank you for your appreciation. :D

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Aneris wrote:The first time I actually ran into Oolon. After I gave him the facts, he suggests that I exclude myself from commenting, since he doesn't like them.

Daniel Fincke vs. Justin Vacula on Feminism in the Atheist Movement
well he is rather a pointless rat shit

(bonus empty name-calling)

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Pitchguest wrote:So Remember Me. A game that was given a lot of publicity seemingly because it featured a woman as the main character, but also because of its premise and the promise of a good story.

I remember saying that main characters being female or male is irrelevant, if the story and the gameplay doesn't add up. And 'lo and behold, it appears that just because the main character is a woman doesn't automatically mean the game is amazing or even good. Right now it's at a score of 68 at Metacritic, with the user score being roughly the same, having gone down from the original 74, and it might even go down more as time passes. Main criticisms seems to be the story didn't live up to its promise, the gameplay repetetive, the platforming weak and the design choices poor, while general praise with the ambition of the story and the world design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_M ... #Reception

Maybe Anita Sarkeesian will take this on board when she analyzes importance of female/male protagonists in games. (She won't.)
ah but it only received a bad score BECAUSE of patriarchy you entitled fool!

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

H. Korban wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
H. Korban wrote: I was raised (in India) in the perhaps the most misoginistic religious tradition of all: Islam.
However, I was wondering if you could tell me which branch of Islam you were raised in? Could you be specific in your answer and so for example say Dawoodi Bohra rather than just Shia? (I am not assuming that you are Shia).
If I tell you the branch, it would not be hard to figure out everything about me. Yes, I was raised in a Shia environment, in a form of Ismailism. I maintain an interest in the philosophical aspects of the religion, even though I am no longer religious myself.

Talking about the branch: turns out that doxxing someone from my community can have a very detrimental effect. For example, it can lead to, in certain instances, violence, if not to oneself, to ones close family back in India. One does not want to mess around with the mullahs, if one can help it.
Ismailis. You are the people whose leader is the Agha Khan (sp), yes? Many years ago I was in Kasmiri Pakistan, and there were a lot of Ismailis in that area. As I recall, a more peaceful form of Islam.

treestump

Post by treestump »

I've just finished reading all the current posts at Gurdur's site http://goo.gl/wOBGz. It's good that Michael Nugent has stated that he is reading and considering all of the comments there. I actually agree very much with Gurdur's posting policy. If insults had been let through, that site would have become an incoherent mess and it's usefulness would have been minimal. As it stands, Gurdur has applied an incredibly fair policy of no name-calling, which has allowed the comments there to be very worthwhile in exposing PZ Myers / Ophelia Benson / Stephanie Zvan (if you are reading this, thanks for that policy Gurdur; some people on this site, myself included, are vocal in their outrage as they have been disgusted by the actions of PZ / OB / SZ over the years and the harm that they have done). The damage that these people have done to the A/S community is immeasurable; as Skep Tickle rightly points out, FtB is potentially one of the first places that inquiring minds looking at Atheism and Skepticism will go, thinking that it will be a place for discourse and Free Thought. It is not, and possible newcomers to the community will more often than not leave again in disgust after a barrage of "fuck off MRA scumbag" (after making completely non-misogynistic comments) or other denigrating personal insults (and not just from commentators but from PZ Myers, Ophelia Benson and Stephanie Zvan themselves who absolutely encourage this from their followers). These people do not deserve to be representatives of this community and allowing them to speak at conferences is an embarrassment. DJ Grothe has been very brave in removing them completely from TAM (in fact, I'd say heroic, as he knew well that these people aggressively manufacture controversies to destroy any and all dissent; they attempted to destroy DJ's reputation calling for him to be removed from the JREF http://goo.gl/trkvl , and they are now attempting to bully the CFI to destroy Ron Lindsay's career - there are no depths to which PZ / OB / SZ will not sink...).

However, I have noticed that PZ / OB / SZ have toned down all of their posts since Skep Tickle fully exposed them on Gurdur's post from the 3rd June onwards. This is not unexpected: bullies often resort to the "what? who me? no, no, I'm the nice guy!" tactics when they are exposed to try to downplay their guilt, so I hope that if Mr. Nugent wants to see all of the abusive, insulting, dogmatic and heavily censored behaviour which is absolutely the defining standard of these bloggers at FtB, he will look at anything from before a few days ago, where the constant abuse and censorship goes back for the entire existence of FtB (of course a few bloggers at FtB don't engage in this, but certainly PZ Myers, Ophelia Benson, Stephanie Zvan and of course Jason Thibeault also are incredibly guilty of poisoning the global A/S community and probably shrinking the community with their dogma, censorship and bullying attempts to control all discourse to their narrow-minded views). I predict that now that PZ / SZ / OB have been exposed so completely by Skep Tickle, that they will call for peace and understanding and 'reach out' to her to 'heal the rift' and they will call their censorship simply a way to maintain order on their sites (instead of what it is, stifling free discourse and constantly censoring very decent reasonable views with the SallyStrange / Jadehawk / Nerd of Redhead guard dogs to then abuse, insult and aggressively dominate any dissent and restore 'order' to the echo chamber).

In my opinion, I'd say that Skep Tickle is worth 1000x what a PZ Myers or an OB or a SZ is worth to this community; I would buy a ticket to see her speak at an Atheist conference any day (alongside say Harriet Hall, Ron Lindsay and DJ Grothe; all people that FtB have attempted, or are attempting in Ron Lindsay's case, to destroy the reputations of). Ophelia Benson, PZ Myers and Stephanie Zvan are all complicit in this doxxing of Skep Tickle; it is utterly shameful and they are a disgrace to the A/S community.

I look forward very much to reading what Skep Tickle posts next, and to Michael Nugent's response.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

dogen wrote: Favor? For what, might I ask? You're not on the prowl for a gay-muslim-waifu, are you?
The favour of responding of course. But you already knew that ... oh you who is so strong in the snark (not to mention a fitna monger).

It is people like you wot cause unrest.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

http://i.imgur.com/O6PAGFt.png

Thank you all! We are live! Please click and sign if you find it represents you, and share the link far and wide.

All signatures gathered during beta testing have been erased, so anyone who already signed will need to sign again.

Many cheers to everyone who helped out with the composition and supported this effort.

Many more cheers and thank-yous to the user agarybuseychristmas who is responsible for creating the site and donating hours of custom coding work.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

curriejean wrote:[wimg]http://i.imgur.com/O6PAGFt.png[/wimg]

Thank you all! We are live! Please click and sign if you find it represents you, and share the link far and wide.

All signatures gathered during beta testing have been erased, so anyone who already signed will need to sign again.

Many cheers to everyone who helped out with the composition and supported this effort.

Many more cheers and thank-yous to the user agarybuseychristmas who is responsible for creating the site and donating hours of custom coding work.
Let the hating begin!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
curriejean wrote:[wimg]http://i.imgur.com/O6PAGFt.png[/wimg]

Let the hating begin!
(and well done: nice job!)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

rpguest wrote:
i disagree that 'ophie' implies anything more to 'ophelia' than 'beccy' does for 'rebecca.' it is somewhat infantilizing nicknaming to be metaphorically patting them on the head like a child, accusations of childlike thinking or immaturaty, etc. i could see an 'oaf' insinuation only of 'oph' was used but again its besides the point, which is with jeuvanile nicknaming in general.
GOD DAMN IT! As far as I know there's only one person who consistently refers to Ophelia Benson as "Oafie" on Twitter, and that person is ME.

Fuck, once again, I'm leading the way in being a truly reprehensible human being and someone else gets all the credit. It's Reap's photoshops all over again.

This is really beginning to porcupine my stink-hole.

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

curriejean wrote:http://i.imgur.com/O6PAGFt.png

Thank you all! We are live! Please click and sign if you find it represents you, and share the link far and wide
This is excellent! Itty bitty typo in paragraph 5 (unless it's a Lolcat what snuck in) "I has also spoken hatefully of some people..."

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

welch wrote:A poor German tries to apply logic to english phrases.

because the whole channel is awesome
I guess it's a slightly delayed rejoinder to Mark Twain's assessment of "The Awful German Language".

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Parody Accountant

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Edina Monsoon wrote:

Thank you all! We are live! Please click and sign if you find it represents you, and share the link far and wide
This is excellent! Itty bitty typo in paragraph 5 (unless it's a Lolcat what snuck in) "I has also spoken hatefully of some people..."
Hahahah. Thanks for catching that. On it.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Mykeru wrote:
rpguest wrote:
GOD DAMN IT! As far as I know there's only one person who consistently refers to Ophelia Benson as "Oafie" on Twitter, and that person is ME.

Fuck, once again, I'm leading the way in being a truly reprehensible human being and someone else gets all the credit. It's Reap's photoshops all over again.

i dont believe it is consistency or frequency of use by one particular poster, but use in general. and on those lines its been tossed around a lot, by everyone. sorry youre porcupining for no reason

search.php?keywords=ophie

less of 'beccy' because shes less of a topic in general. less 'steffie' because its more fun to manipulate her surname. even the dreaded 'twatson' that largely got the whole slymeball rolling has been used a lot less. still no 'oaf' connection--thats just a dumb interpretation

i like 'umbridge' best tho

welch

Post by welch »

New comment at gurdur's:

Welch here. (the reg. setup in this comment engine is somewhat suboptimal)
"I don’t see the pit as a uniform mass (confusing Eliza with Welch and Welch with Franc Hoggle? Never in my life!!!). I understand that you are different. Nevertheless, be honest: there is hardly a day without mentioning Ophelia, PZ or RW. That’s the focus and one would have to be blind not to see it. "
Yes, compared to all the days and weeks and months on FTB without even the slightest mention of the pit. Nor is it specifically mentioned in comment policies.

That, by the way, was sarcasm. It is rather difficult to take Ophelia's, or rather anyone at FTB seriously when they do the *exact* same thing they excoriate others for. I mean, seriously, as someone said, it's like listening at my kitchen window and complaining that I said unkind things about you. if you hadn't been on my property, eavesdropping, you'd have not heard any of it. However, that's a really bad analogy, given the nature of a public blog. It's more like complaining that I drive down the road your billboard is on and read it every day, then go home and bag on it with my wife, with the only reason you know this being because you drive by MY billboard thrice daily and read it, even though there's no other reason for you to be on that road.

If Ophelia is THAT bothered by the pit, why. does. she. monitor. it. so. closely?

Why *especially* does she monitor it so closely when one of her primary complaints is?

That the pit is "monitoring her". How? *by reading her website*. I mean come on, at some point, I start to get tired of figuring out adjectives to modify hypocrisy. I've a decent vocabulary, but it has limits. Ophelia, and to be accurate, the entire core FTB crowd spend a *lot* of time monitoring everything said in the 'pit. I'm pretty sure were I to come up with a brand new way to deliberately misspell her name in an insulting manner, she'd be in arms about it within a fortnight. Probably by day's end.

Why should I take her complaints about me seriously at all when she monitors my words FAR more than I monitor hers?
"I guess that in the end the message is: the people you are targeting are also different. Some of them may be strong; others may find it difficult to distance themselves emotionally from what happens. It doesn't have to be vanity or narcissim; it's rather that sometimes the distance is really hard to find. And it simply seems to me that noticing this and acting on this could make the world a slightly better place. "
Being charitable, and taking her distress at the pit at face value, why can she not stop obsessively monitoring it. I'm quite sure that were she to stop for a week, a month...heck, *today*, she'd feel noticeably better. I don't know what the vast majority of people who know me or know of me say about me, for good or ill. It's quite simple: I don't look for it.

People may be saying kind things, they may be saying horrible things, but I'm not going to spend any amount of time caring. The people whose opinions I DO care about, I know what they think, we talk, regularly. Why does my opinion of Ophelia, for good OR ill matter to her in the least?

That is what I cannot understand. It's like the joke about the dumb guy who gets a job at the sawmill, and is told "don't touch the blade, it'll cut your finger right off."

Not being the smartest lad, he of course, sticks his finger in the blade, and ZING! Off it goes. He starts screaming and hollering, and the other folks in the lumber yard come running in and ask what happened.

He says "I was just seeing what happened when you touched the saw blade, and THERE IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!"

at some point, *ophelia* has to take some action to not read the 'pit every day. Demanding over 600 people who aren't her change their behavior to suit her is has not worked, is not working, nor is it *going* to work. Maybe she should take her own advice and, if it upsets her so, stop reading it?

"But of course it won’t happen. It's war and as you say, communication is not possible. I know; I’m not that naïve. "

She doesn't seem to want an end to the war as much as she wants people to stop returning fire. There's a difference.

welch

Post by welch »

Another comment on Gurdur's site:
"It can hardly get any more explicit than "no empty name-calling". I note in at least one comment not let through the use of a peculiar dimunitive was in fact intended to be offensive, so I think people do get the idea, no? That they disagree with it is not my problem. The rule is very clear; offensively-meant dimunitives are out, and to be on the safe side, commentators should stick with a commonly-accepted form of a person's name -- the full name, surname, first name in full, Twitter handle, or net-pseudonym in full of the person under discussion by the commentator. "
So, does that mean that when someone disagrees with you on this, you're going to stop calling them "emo"? "Emo", by the way, along with being short for "emo"tional, (which is in and of itself, a rather dismissive way to categorize someone who disagrees with you), is also rather commonly used as a name for a specific lifestyle and genre of music, aka "Emo". This is a term that applies to, literally, *millions* of people, and when used by people not a part of that group, is almost universally an insult. "Oh don't be so emo". "What, you're going to slam the door and cry in your room like an emo kid?"

The pejorative uses of "emo" are, by the way, far more common than your 'meaning' for the specific diminutive in question, which I can safely say would occur to almost no one, since it was almost literall the first five letters of her name, (with an "i" inserted just before the "e"). Not misspelled to add in an "a" or replace the "ph" with an "f".

If you are going to be so very stern about name calling, perhaps you should set your own example.

welch

Post by welch »

rpguest wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
rpguest wrote:

i dont believe it is consistency or frequency of use by one particular poster, but use in general. and on those lines its been tossed around a lot, by everyone. sorry youre porcupining for no reason

search.php?keywords=ophie

less of 'beccy' because shes less of a topic in general. less 'steffie' because its more fun to manipulate her surname. even the dreaded 'twatson' that largely got the whole slymeball rolling has been used a lot less. still no 'oaf' connection--thats just a dumb interpretation

i like 'umbridge' best tho
Thanks! I was rather proud of that one. Never really caught on though. Pity.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

curriejean wrote:
Edina Monsoon wrote:

Hahahah. Thanks for catching that. On it.
Just me of course, but I would also change the word 'benevolence' near the end to 'decency'. Benevolence makes Lindsay sound like some kind of sugar-daddy.

Parody Accountant

http://i.imgur.com/r5kpAr7.png

this time without a weird blue box around 'calling'.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

What if I'm only soft like a woman, deep inside where no one can see? Can I still sign?

dogen

Post by dogen »

bovarchist wrote:What if I'm only soft like a woman, deep inside where no one can see? Can I still sign?
Deep inside, where no one can see.... do you feel like a woman?

:rimshot:

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Sorry, alterations are now closed. :P Our webmaster needs to catch up on paid work.

Also, I've submitted a petition link to r/atheism and am e-begging for upvotes:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

curriejean wrote:Sorry, alterations are now closed. :P Our webmaster needs to catch up on paid work.

Also, I've submitted a petition link to r/atheism and am e-begging for upvotes:

I put up a link at the Hub.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Fuck me, the pit's 'Shoppers are one talented, inventive and funny bunch of people.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

PS: Ape+Lust: I just noticed your personal modification...nice.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

http://i.imgur.com/4KGFbx5.jpg

AVFM is my new source for lulz.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Pitchguest wrote:Goodness, Ophelia's really trying to paint Skep in the worst possible light. She also denies her doxxing, of course, and says Skep is LYING about HER.

It is objectively true that no one knew about Skep's affiliation with a local atheist organisation until Ophelia pointed it out. It seems Skep may have written with her real name first name a few times, but even that can be theorised to be an alias. However, Ophelia made it abundantly clear that, nope, that was her real first name and she's a BOARD member on a local atheist organisation which cannot possibly be Googled given some detective work. And then someone on Pharyngula really spilled the beans and voila, the doxxing comes full circle. With a little help from the slimy little shit himself. Then, after all their whinging on about how doxxing is always, always bad, when their reputation's on the line, it's "debatable." Zvan writes an ambiguous blog post about it, Ophelia attempts to justify it, PZ defends it, all the while with Justicar's "doxxing" of Jen McCreight fresh in their minds (which wasn't really a "doxxing" as all the information was redacted, from the original photo provided by Jen McCreight with all the information still intact, so he was in fact PROTECTING HER IDENTITY from being revealed).

So they've gone on and on how Justin is a demon because he happened to post Amy Roth's address, even though it wasn't meant maliciously in any way, and since then he's been treated as a boogeyman. But doxxing someone is apparently acceptable up to a point, and thus it can be argued that Amy Roth's situation at that time (issuing false DMCA's to people) could justify (at least, in the binary thinking of the SJW's) revealing her information. Of course it wasn't, and Justin apologised and requested for a removal of the information. But it's curious how that situation and this with Skep is being treated so differently. According to them, Skep is not being bullied by being doxxed; *she* is the one bullying *them*, and her doxxing is just deserts. You know. Blaming the victim.

It's their version of reality versus actual reality. Who's winning?
Simple question, Ophelia. Why was it necessary to provide any identifying information at all about Skeptickle on your blog? We all knew where it was going right out of the gate. That's the world's tiniest clear glass fig leaf you're wearing.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Accidentally posted this at another thread. Anyway, this in moderation over at Lousy's:

"Using the dictionary definition of words, are you, Jason?

Then how about the dictionary definition of "racism"?

<blockquote>noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
<b>hatred or intolerance of another race or other races</b>.</blockquote>

Seems power dynamic isn't necessary to be racist.

Oh, and I would love for you to tell those other "white" people in the world suffering from poverty, disease, famine, that no matter how harsh their situation is, that you think it's probably worse for "black" people, or any other minority. Yeah, they're struggling to make ends meet, and they might have to juggle between starving or paying their medical bills, but because they're white, well, they have it better than everyone else. So tell you what, Jason, walk up to a homeless man who happens to be "white", wearing a cardboard box because he can't afford to buy clothes, with a plastic mug busking with a piece of string to get some change for food and say, "Hey, look on the bright side: at least you're a white man. Check your privilege."

You fucking clownshoe."

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Pitchguest wrote:Accidentally posted this at another thread. Anyway, this in moderation over at Lousy's:

Then how about the dictionary definition of "racism"?

<blockquote>noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
<b>hatred or intolerance of another race or other races</b>.</blockquote>

Seems power dynamic isn't necessary to be racist.

Oh, and I would love for you to tell those other "white" people in the world suffering from poverty, disease, famine, that no matter how harsh their situation is, that you think it's probably worse for "black" people, or any other minority. Yeah, they're struggling to make ends meet, and they might have to juggle between starving or paying their medical bills, but because they're white, well, they have it better than everyone else. So tell you what, Jason, walk up to a homeless man who happens to be "white", wearing a cardboard box because he can't afford to buy clothes, with a plastic mug busking with a piece of string to get some change for food and say, "Hey, look on the bright side: at least you're a white man. Check your privilege."

You fucking clownshoe."
He sounds less cunty when you put it like that.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Metalogic42 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/4KGFbx5.jpg

facepalm-bear-400x400.jpg
(29.66 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pitchguest wrote:Accidentally posted this at another thread. Anyway, this in moderation over at Lousy's:

<snip>
You fucking clownshoe."
That was probably in reference to Jason’s suggestion (#31) that racism and sexism directed against Richard Dawkins doesn’t count because, well, “Patriarchy”. Same sort of mental fiddle that allows people to cheat the government and businesses and insurance companies. But I had been planning on asking him if thought, analogously, that the murder of a white person was less odious than the murder of a black person because of the history of slavery in the US.

And while it’s his blog of course, that he and others have such a restrictive commenting policy really only gives the lie to the claim of “freethought”.

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

This doxxing of Skep tickle makes me sick. It appears that Benson et. al. are unable to comprehend that those they think are evil, wicked and nasty, can, in fact, be just the opposite. It burns them worse when they are confronted by the accomplishments of those they are trying to vilify, and go into positive and frantic paroxysm of rage when shown to be wrong. This is a classic manifestation of a siege mentality, that digs in deeper the more it is confronted with reality.

Of course, reality and the Buffoon Collective have little in common. The later weave their own imaginary narrative, fully stocked with ghouls and witches out to get them. One would think that the commentariat would bring some sense into these benighted souls, but, sadly, the opposite is true. I have often wondered if there is a conspiracy, perhaps machination by The Pit, that has taken over the comment section of NoThoughtBlogs and is now trying to see how quickly they can drive the bloggers their insane. Or is it a plot hatched by Mice instead?

BTW, if Skep tickle was a board member of my local atheist organization, I would promptly join the said organization. We want more accomplished and articulate people and less of these malignant narcissists.

Steersman

Re: Lousy Canuck’s post, Strawprivilege

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, another recent comment of mine – still in moderation as of 20:25 (UTC-7) – on Jason’s blog:
Steersman wrote: Jason said (#17):
I wonder how that addresses what I said.
It doesn’t. It mocks in direct reply your assertion that the concept of privilege (and/or how I presented it here) is sexist and racist.
Well then I would consider that a “Fail” since I figure that saying “it’s racist to consider how race affects races other than privileged ones” is rather decidedly different from my suggesting that your concept of privilege, in its apparently “intrinsic assumption”, “necessarily [over-values the experiences of the] supposedly less privileged”. But nice straw-man.
This is about people who have not experienced a phenomenon that we know to exist, prejudice, being best equipped to recognize the scope of the damage that that prejudice causes.
I have no doubt that prejudice exists. But, as just mentioned, I object to rather selective filters and to the hypocritical responses based on “in-group morality, and out-group hostility”. But I also think that there is too much talking in generalities – you might improve the conversation by providing specific examples to justify your arguments.
Unless you really want to argue that prejudice is like Jehovah or grey aliens?
Of course it is “like Jehovah or grey aliens”. But that is an analogy (1) and “like” is not identical to “the same as”. You – along with Ophelia Benson and, to be fair, Justin Vacula – really should pay some close attention to the nature of analogies as you all basically suck at them. And, in particular, do note this statement from that article:
Phrases like and so on, and the like, as if, and the very word like also rely on an analogical understanding by the receiver of a message including them.
And you might also pay close attention to the definition for the word (2):
a•nal•o•gy (-nl-j)
n. pl. a•nal•o•gies
1. a. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
b. A comparison based on such similarity.
So, Jehovah and grey aliens are similar to perceptions of prejudice in being internal experiences, but dissimilar in, at least, that there is no evidence for the first two while there is evidence for the last one, at least generally speaking, although that is a decidedly debatable point in any particular case.

Postscript: not particularly impressed with the fact that my comments have to languish in moderation until you get around to releasing them – if you even deign to do that. Tends to reduce my efforts to respond to any comments directed my way. But afraid that I’m likely to take a crap on the floor? Thumb on the scales when it comes to opinions and facts that question “conventional wisdom” in this rather benighted neck of the woods? Or just “don’t want to hear any ideas about feminism from men"? (3)

----
1) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy”;
2) “_http://www.thefreedictionary.com/analogy”;
3) "_http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/2013/06/03/women-in-secularism-speakers-letter-to-cfi-board/";

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Metalogic42 wrote: http://i.imgur.com/4KGFbx5.jpg

Linky?

BTW, here’s a video of a conversation between Paul Elam and Kristina Hansen (WBB); trouble in River City:

Background, if somewhat biased, and source of above from Man Boobz:

http://manboobz.com/2013/06/04/tempest- ... -opinions/

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Steersman wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote: http://i.imgur.com/4KGFbx5.jpg

Linky?

BTW, here’s a video of a conversation between Paul Elam and Kristina Hansen (WBB); trouble in River City:

Background, if somewhat biased, and source of above from Man Boobz:

http://manboobz.com/2013/06/04/tempest- ... -opinions/
http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/wh ... of-shezow/

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

welch wrote:
I can understand you taking umbrage at that slight.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

KiwiInOz wrote:
welch wrote:
That's umbridge too far.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I always thought Umbrage was mine?

sacha

Post by sacha »

hahahahaha!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Metalogic42 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/4KGFbx5.jpg

Wait. Near Earth Object? Paul Fidalgo? :confusion-confused:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

So, Yemministyfisty says:
My blog is not a playing pit for adults with a sense of entitlement to tits.
Chrsit. She's thicker than a bag of bricks and dumb as a hammer, I think she honestly is completely unaware of what the points regarding her doing exactly the same kind of censorship that the semi-nude picture is supposed to be criticising is all about. I think she honestly feel that folks are complaining only because they do not have a set of boobs to look at.

Stupid as a dead cat.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Post by Guest »

John Greg wrote:I always thought Umbrage was mine?
damn welch, always stealing ideas from the black man

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I'm a cheesehead, not a black man.

/snicker

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Pitchguest wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
welch wrote:
That's umbridge too far.
Stephanie Zvan lately reminded me of Dolores Umbridge of the book version of Harry Potter. Especially the Unmasking text had this mixture of calculated cruelty. As a plus, I always imagined Umbridge as a slightly bulky lady with toadlike features. I think the next time I read Potter, she probably appears a bit more like a female version of Karl Rove.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Stephanie Zvan lately reminded me of Dolores Umbridge of the book version of Harry Potter.
Well, ya. That's what I started calling Ophie about a year or so ago because of her penchant for recasting the words and intent of anyone she disagreed with. But it got too long to keep typing, Ophelia Umbrage, or Ophelia Delores Benson, etc.