Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Spike13

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Spike13 »

didymos wrote:What do random pics of this Alison lady have to do with anything?
Fap fap,fap...

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Pagancat wrote:Why are these people so infuriatingly smug?
Because the point is to be infuriarting?
Because they are(in their own minds) young bright and highly educated , they have all the answers.

Smug is the new coolness.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Spike13 wrote:
Fap fap,fap...
I'm getting makeup tips. Such as: There's no such thing as "too much foundation". Paint that shit on.

http://catnipsum.com/blog/wp-content/up ... w-purr.jpg

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Brive1987 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Is that fucking Greg "the Lad" Laden lurking in the background for an opportunity "with the boyz" as wingmen?
It sure looks like him.

http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit/00021.png
That's creepy shit. Far creepier and traumatising than my Glenn zooms :lol:
:lol:

I tried using the same filters on Avi's pictures expecting to see things that were not hidden well, but he actually did a good job of hiding his alleged patient's identities. I wasn't able to bring out any faces or other details that should be private.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

I've been away for a bit, did any news come down about the whole JREF shake up thing?

didymos

Post by didymos »

And the common factor here is what, Suey?

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Most empirical sciences? Wow. Hundreds of "social" science types, and thousands of physics/chem types just exploded - for exactly opposite reasons.

Wait... this is a trap...
I'm confused. Are you saying that some social or natural sciences use an alpha that is different from .05? If so, which?
I knew it was trap.

Psych (and many other "social" science) researchers will gladly use .05 and will likely kill for .01. As someone cynically, but not inaccurately, pointed out above, a lot of "social" sceince types will just quote the p value they get and go "Ta DA!" whether it's .02, .045 or whatever - which rather trashes the whole "a priori" thing.

Years ago (and I haven't checked to see if this still happens) people were running (say) an F test and, if it was significant, THEN they'd run the specific t-tests on the bits they wanted. In doing so they followed a lot of text books, but what they didn't do was have any idea of what the hell they were actually testing (though they thought they did) and certainly had no idea of the actual distribution they were trying to derive their 95% confidence interval against. In short, their head would explode with hubris if anyone even vaguely suggested that their results were somehow comparable to "real" science ones.

And I say that as an ex-Cognitive Science type. It's tough love, but it's time for that intervention.

Meanwhile, say, physicists are off hunting the Higgs and refusing to comit until five sigma comes up. Which, if I remember rightly, is an alpha of about .000shitloadsmore5. So yeah, their heads would explode if someone suggested they could get away with .05 and could be lumped in with those puddings in Pysch/Socio/Econ etc.

Shit, I hope I haven't outed myself as a secret Baysian, or something.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Brive1987 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Is that fucking Greg "the Lad" Laden lurking in the background for an opportunity "with the boyz" as wingmen?
It sure looks like him.

http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit/00021.png
That's creepy shit. Far creepier and traumatising than my Glenn zooms :lol:
For a minute I thought that was RW in the pic.

Is there some evil machine that clones these women?

They all look the same to me.

didymos

Post by didymos »

I'm guessing this is some pretentious meta thing. Or just garden variety stupid. One of those.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Most empirical sciences? Wow. Hundreds of "social" science types, and thousands of physics/chem types just exploded - for exactly opposite reasons.

Wait... this is a trap...
I'm confused. Are you saying that some social or natural sciences use an alpha that is different from .05? If so, which?
I knew it was trap.

Psych (and many other "social" science) researchers will gladly use .05 and will likely kill for .01. As someone cynically, but not inaccurately, pointed out above, a lot of "social" sceince types will just quote the p value they get and go "Ta DA!" whether it's .02, .045 or whatever - which rather trashes the whole "a priori" thing.

Years ago (and I haven't checked to see if this still happens) people were running (say) an F test and, if it was significant, THEN they'd run the specific t-tests on the bits they wanted. In doing so they followed a lot of text books, but what they didn't do was have any idea of what the hell they were actually testing (though they thought they did) and certainly had no idea of the actual distribution they were trying to derive their 95% confidence interval against. In short, their head would explode with hubris if anyone even vaguely suggested that their results were somehow comparable to "real" science ones.

And I say that as an ex-Cognitive Science type. It's tough love, but it's time for that intervention.

Meanwhile, say, physicists are off hunting the Higgs and refusing to comit until five sigma comes up. Which, if I remember rightly, is an alpha of about .000shitloadsmore5. So yeah, their heads would explode if someone suggested they could get away with .05 and could be lumped in with those puddings in Pysch/Socio/Econ etc.

Dude, you just made my head hurt.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

didymos wrote: I'm guessing this is some pretentious meta thing. Or just garden variety stupid. One of those.
So water isn't real?

Tatooine only has one sun?

The Jokers Smilex grooming products were a ruse?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Spike13 wrote:I've been away for a bit, did any news come down about the whole JREF shake up thing?
From what I could tell, it was largely a non-event. People talked about it a bit here, FtB made their obligatory pissing-on-grave posts, and that was largely it. #GamerGate and #ShermerGateRedux seem to be the #FTBullies main targets right now.

AnonymousCowherd

Hunt wrote:
Clarence wrote: <snip>

So it's been rather depressing around here lately.
Not to mention that Dear Leader is not feeling himself, I think everyone is in a state of self-reflection. At this point, I don't know what to say about the crazytown that FtB has become. It's not that I think matters are settled, but I think they are beyond any hope of rational discourse. PZ's post on Shermer's reply was what really sealed it for me. He views it as Shermer's confessional. I can't, and don't want to, begin trying to interpret what he actually intends to mean, but... Does he mean that all May/December sexual encounters are inherently exploitative? Does he picture himself in Shermer's role, or vice versa and conflates it with having sex with students? It's really hard to get a grasp on what is going on in PZ's warped brain. We've talked about who is and isn't sex positive and negative over there. What has gradually dawned on me is that the most overtly sex negative feminist on FtB is PZ Myers, not Ophelia Benson, and I think that's what drives everything else. PZ interprets even Shermer's story as "taking advantage of a young woman." I don't know why, but that just boggles my mind. The sexual revolution was forty years ago, wasn't it?
Yes, but Shermer can, and PZ cannot.

"I have heard the mermaids singing. I do not think they will sing for me."

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:[.img]http://imgur.com/Mk6vizA.jpg[/img]
I missed the book cover at first.

:clap:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gumby wrote:
Spike13 wrote:I've been away for a bit, did any news come down about the whole JREF shake up thing?
From what I could tell, it was largely a non-event. People talked about it a bit here, FtB made their obligatory pissing-on-grave posts, and that was largely it. #GamerGate and #ShermerGateRedux seem to be the #FTBullies main targets right now.
Oh, and as far as JREF goes, it seems to have been not that great a deal either, after an initial flurry of discussion. Haven't heard anything major from JREF in a while. Even DJ seems quiet. I wonder if there will be a TAM 2015.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:

:D

Google's Benson bio right now:

http://imgur.com/an550Vl.jpg

Ophelia surely has a hard-on of hate for you :lol: :lol:

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

didymos wrote: I'm guessing this is some pretentious meta thing. Or just garden variety stupid. One of those.
Standard college-level PoMo bullshit.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Excellent* as usual.

But may I suggest you replace the book cover with a picture of The Michele Bachmann Hotdog Incident?

*Excellent as in "Creepy as hell"

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I suspect Walter Ego has a few such videos stashed away. You could PM him?

Also, my shiny new avatar seems to fit the "cock-fondling" criteria. Try flicking your bean to that.
Your capsicum cock is cute and all
But it's just a little bit too small
So, I'll flick my bean
To some other scene
And then into sleep I'll fall

AnonymousCowherd

Spike13 wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Pagancat wrote:Why are these people so infuriatingly smug?
Because the point is to be infuriarting?
Because they are(in their own minds) young bright and highly educated , they have all the answers.

Smug is the new coolness.
Eh, the smugness itself is maybe not so new. I can remember being young, bright and over educated, and I was probably pretty smug in some ways. What I couldn't match is their overweening, yet baseless, self confidence. I guess years of getting whatever you want, whenever you want it, works out like that.

I guess that, on the bright side, after they piss their parents money up against the wall, the SJWs will be stuck in the marginalised, dead-end, and rapidly dissapearing jobs that their fabulously expensive communications degrees have qualified them for.

AnonymousCowherd

Spike13 wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
I knew it was trap.

Dude, you just made my head hurt.
Sorry, should have checked my spelling more carefully before posting <insert favorite edit button joke>.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:
Gumby wrote:

[.img]http://imgur.com/an550Vl.jpg[/img]

Ha! Immortality at last!

AnonymousCowherd

Spike13 wrote:
So water isn't real?

Tatooine only has one sun?

The Jokers Smilex grooming products were a ruse?
When in doubt, always go with stupid. You can always ask - is that statement "true"? Or just "sort of true", in which case some binaries may be true, which makes the statement false.

I may have been drinking.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Eskarina wrote:Excellent* as usual.

But may I suggest you replace the book cover with a picture of The Michele Bachmann Hotdog Incident?

Gah! That's one of those wish-I'd-thought-of-it head slappers. Of course!

http://imgur.com/74l8Sve.jpg

Much better. Thanks!!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Ha! Immortality at last!
Also, props to the creator of this classic:

http://greylining.files.wordpress.com/2 ... epends.png

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Ape+lust wrote:http://imgur.com/74l8Sve.jpg

Much better. Thanks!!
For the true connaisseur. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

By the way, the Ophelia Benson GIS pages is a wonderland.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2014/05/horse_via ... 132563.gif

A wonderland.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Crystal Clear Consent seems to require a crystal ball in order to work properly.
The wide-spread adoption of Crystal Clear Consent would seem more likely to involve blue balls than crystal balls.

Just sayin'.
Blue balls. That's my segue to post a great old song. "Lover's Balls" by a band that the feminists in 1978 hated because of their band name, The Battered Wives. There was so much freak out back then about it, that it made the papers. They caved to the pressure and later changed their name to The Wives.

[youtube]2156gkK1iWw[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Just seen this over at fatty McEwan's place -
Posted by Melissa McEwan at Thursday, August 28, 2014
91 Comments

[Content Note: Illness.]

Shakesville will be on hiatus for the next couple of weeks, starting this evening.

I am dealing with a new and somewhat serious health complication, which requires some medical tests I've got to get done promptly and some new meds to which my body's having a very difficult time adjusting.

Also, to be perfectly blunt, I need a break from the daily torrent of threats and abuse that this work obliges me to navigate, while I focus on my health. The stress and anxiety of escalating harassment recently has taken a toll on my ability to focus on self-care, and I've just reached a point where I need a mental health break, in order to take care of my physical health.

Thank you to all the community members here who have been incredibly supportive. I'm sorry that the abuse that is directed toward me and the mods outside this space affects what happens here.

I expect to return on Tuesday, September 16. If I need longer, I will let you know.
Fascist Tit, what are you not telling us?

Also, what's the betting that Mel's new physical healthcare regime involves something like a brand new exercise bike and a distinct reduction in her bucket fried chicken intake?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Now that we've gotten into the SJW drinking and consent argument, it's probably that time:

[youtube]rNKIjLLZMWs[/youtube]

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Gumby wrote:
Ah, ok thank you.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The star role in Shermer-gate was the mysterious enigma accuser. Now she has outed herself, it is worth taking a moment to humanise her and make her "acquaintance'.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote: Also, what's the betting that Mel's new physical healthcare regime involves something like a brand new exercise bike and a distinct reduction in her bucket fried chicken intake?
I hope so, not only for the sake of her health, but the sake of the lulz. Imagine the outpouring of "my doctor is fat shaming me" posts...

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Eh, the smugness itself is maybe not so new. I can remember being young, bright and over educated, and I was probably pretty smug in some ways. What I couldn't match is their overweening, yet baseless, self confidence. I guess years of getting whatever you want, whenever you want it, works out like that.

I guess that, on the bright side, after they piss their parents money up against the wall, the SJWs will be stuck in the marginalised, dead-end, and rapidly dissapearing jobs that their fabulously expensive communications degrees have qualified them for.
I guess that is why we have so many of them trying to make a go of a career on the Internet.

I couldn't imagine any of these flowers lasting a week in my shop.(not to mention the crazy hair and earlobe stretchers wouldn't even get them in the door for an interview.)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Ape+lust wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I was having breakfast at a diner when I saw this and nearly did a spit take with my coffee.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Ape+lust wrote:
Eskarina wrote:Excellent* as usual.

Gah! That's one of those wish-I'd-thought-of-it head slappers. Of course!

http://imgur.com/74l8Sve.jpg

Much better. Thanks!!
Nice!
I would imagine PX explaining sex to a little girl while holding a nautilus or other cephalopod.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Look who was the only player convinced by Hornbeck's master thesis re Radford over at JREF.

In this case by a one way stream of email snippets removed from conversational dialog.

http://i.imgur.com/fZPKD3e.jpg

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Jan Steen wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Finding god,... The last refuge of the scoundrel
That or joining the SJWs.
What's the difference?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ape+lust wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favorite Gumby-'shoop!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Tigzy wrote:Just seen this over at fatty McEwan's place -
Posted by Melissa McEwan at Thursday, August 28, 2014
91 Comments

[Content Note: Illness.]

Shakesville will be on hiatus for the next couple of weeks, starting this evening.

I am dealing with a new and somewhat serious health complication, which requires some medical tests I've got to get done promptly and some new meds to which my body's having a very difficult time adjusting.

Also, to be perfectly blunt, I need a break from the daily torrent of threats and abuse that this work obliges me to navigate, while I focus on my health. The stress and anxiety of escalating harassment recently has taken a toll on my ability to focus on self-care, and I've just reached a point where I need a mental health break, in order to take care of my physical health.

Thank you to all the community members here who have been incredibly supportive. I'm sorry that the abuse that is directed toward me and the mods outside this space affects what happens here.

I expect to return on Tuesday, September 16. If I need longer, I will let you know.
Fascist Tit, what are you not telling us?

Also, what's the betting that Mel's new physical healthcare regime involves something like a brand new exercise bike and a distinct reduction in her bucket fried chicken intake?
I was just going to say that it sounds as if her heavily battered and fried chickens have come home to roost.

Seriously, hope she realizes that she's damaging her health with morbid obesity, and that she can turn it around with some sound medical advice.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

BarnOwl wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favorite Gumby-'shoop!
What do you mean by "Gumby-'shoop"? I thought that was the natural order of things. :o

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

katamari Damassi wrote:Nice!
I would imagine PX explaining sex to a little girl while holding a nautilus or other cephalopod.
http://imgur.com/pdcIFmf.jpg

It's a little weird. I feel like I'm trespassing on Service Dog's territory :D

Immanuel K

Post by Immanuel K »

Ape+lust wrote:

Come girls get your education
From Myers sexual revelations
If you need a drink, he´ll be squirting some ink
When you reach tentacle penetration

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I had a research colleague who'd grown up in a very conservative, fundamentalist Christian family, and she told me that her parents used some Christian-approved MD's books to explain sex to her. Upon hearing the description of PiV sex, she said she burst into tears and cried "That's horrible, I'm NEVER going to do that!" Her mother told her "That's OK, you don't have to if you don't want to."

Of course she got married right out of college, and has several children, so she got over her childhood horror of peen, apparently.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Coprolite wrote:Brilliant - Discrimination in the Chess community by pwnyslaystation01

[youtube]bgJThP3I7_U[/youtube]
That is the stupidest video I think I've ever heard. He gets nothing right and nothing makes sense. It's complete and utter bullshit.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Brive1987 wrote:

I suspect then, that PZ will need to make amends to Mistress soon. Btw I like the way PZ is notching up the battle honours for his Big Tent Skepticism campaign colours.

http://i.imgur.com/BoXAJq3.jpg
Meyers is such a tool in the way he makes it seem like he's ignoring everyone else due...:

Dunning hasn't been on the blog well for over a year.
Sanford hasn't posted since 2009.
Edward hasn't posted since 2013.
Shermer hasn't posted for nearly two years.
Plait hasn't posted since 2010
Johnson hasn't posted since 2010
Novella hasn't posted since 2013
Chan hasn't posted since 2009

That leaves Loxton and Prothero.

Loxton has been erratic and has maybe 10 posts, most of them early in the year, in 2014. Prothero has been the only regular contributing blogger for all of 2014 giving us about one post per week.

And, had Miers bothered to read the September 10th 'goodbye' post, he might have noticed this:
In a few days we will announce an exciting new blog project that I think will knock your socks off. I hope you’ll join us there (the details will be revealed next week) but today I want to talk about what has been.
Reading comprehension, how does it work? Fact finding, how does it work? Acting like a human being, how does it work?

He's SUCH A PETTY FUCKING IDIOT. How his wife doesn't shoot him in the head... Oh, yeah, he's a pussy-whipped toilet slave.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

OK so I tried it on the grounds that sometimes Google will tailor your results based on what you have looked at before and :
It looks like it just might be a "thing".

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

@Andrew

You have my sympathy.

austin

Post by austin »

I find it quite funny that SJWs are quite beside themselves when trying to deal with Sam Harris intentionally provocative latest comments. Read some of the comments on PZ's blog. They cannot comprehend that this possibly could be pure jest. Perhaps a new motto should be use humor whenever possible when dealing with SJWs. Get a laugh, for example, over how Greta Christina is reacting to this on her blog. Notice how oblivious she is also, to her almost global narcissism (it's all about Greta, don't you know).
In case you haven’t already heard this: Sam Harris recently gave an interview to the Washington Post. When asked why the vast majority of atheists — and many of those who buy his books — are male, he said this:

“I think it may have to do with my person slant as an author, being very critical of bad ideas. This can sound very angry to people..People just don’t like to have their ideas criticized. There’s something about that critical posture that is to some degree instrinsically male and more attractive to guys than to women,” he said. “The atheist variable just has this – it doesn’t obviously have this nurturing, coherence-building extra estrogen vibe that you would want by default if you wanted to attract as many women as men.”

Why Are You Atheists So Angry? There are a lot of possible responses to this. The first one that springs to my mind, and to many people’s minds, is, “Fuck you, you sexist, patronizing asshole. You think women don’t take a critical posture? Come talk to some women in the atheist movement, and we will give you an earful of our critical posture.” The second response that springs to my mind, and to many people’s minds, is, “Do you think that maybe — just maybe — the fact that not that many women read your books might have something to do with the fact that you say horrible sexist bullshit like this, and we’re sick of it, and we don’t want to hear it, or anything else from you, ever again?” And the third response, from me in particular, is, “Do you seriously not know that the person who literally wrote the book on angry atheism — Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless — is me, a woman? Have you seen the cover art for that book? Would you really not describe the woman standing on the soapbox labeled ‘REASON’ with her fist in the air as, quite literally, a critical posture?”

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

AndrewV69 wrote:OK so I tried it on the grounds that sometimes Google will tailor your results based on what you have looked at before and :
ophelia_benson_-_Google_Search_-_2014-09-13_08.27.37.png
http://i.imgur.com/oCTgA.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If you need additional pics, the 100 worst album covers:

http://www.topito.com/top-pochettes-dal ... rrassantes
Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit!

http://media.topito.com/wp-content/uplo ... wtf_04.jpg

I am so laughing my ass off... If they were only in cassocks.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Ape+lust wrote:

Suddenly, I feel the urge to write a book.

A children's book called "The Saddest Little Octopus".

dogen

Post by dogen »

AndrewV69 wrote:OK so I tried it on the grounds that sometimes Google will tailor your results based on what you have looked at before and :
ophelia_benson_-_Google_Search_-_2014-09-13_08.27.37.png
I get the same as your image. Thingness confirmed!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tribble wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If you need additional pics, the 100 worst album covers:

Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit!

http://media.topito.com/wp-content/uplo ... wtf_04.jpg

I am so laughing my ass off... If they were only in cassocks.
http://media.topito.com/wp-content/uplo ... wtf_35.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Hahaha.

Richard Dawkins is a bad scientist and his arrogance pisses me off - Deepak Chopra
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/13/d ... es-me-off/

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

This was my favourite

http://i.imgur.com/xASKZDB.png

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

James Caruthers wrote:
Standard college-level PoMo bullshit.
And an idiotic (or perhaps just ignorant) freshman-paradox seeing as that true-false (0,1)is a binary condition and is the fundamental 'how' in how computers work...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

bhoytony wrote:

This was my favourite

http://i.imgur.com/xASKZDB.png
That made me literally LOL.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Immanuel K wrote:Come girls get your education
From Myers sexual revelations
If you need a drink, he´ll be squirting some ink