Periodic Table of Swearing

Continuation of the post at Abbie Smith's ERV blog (http://scienceblogs.com/erv/)

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby bhoytony » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm  •  [Post 15991]

Tigzy wrote: I admit, there was some novelty in discovering a sweaty sock who liked Maggie Thatcher...



I don't believe you. At the moment there are twice as many Giant Pandas in Scotland as there are Tory MPs. Fact.
User avatar
bhoytony
.
.
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Badger3k » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm  •  [Post 15992]

real horrorshow wrote:
Guest wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I dunno why people complain about Youtube comments so much, when you can find gems of grotesque beauty such as this:

I bet her twat smells like crab. I dunno why she just looks the type to have a crabby biff.


I saw that one, too. A real prize-winner! "Biff" was a new one for me, being an American.


Technically, the 'biff' or 'biffin bridge' is not the twat but the perinium or 'barse'. So called because during (missionary position) intercourse the gentleman's balls biff against it. Benefits of a Classical education.

By the way - moderators of Slymepit, the avatars of Badger3k and Tony Parsehole are making me feel unsafe and uncomfortable. Can you issue some sort of warning? :shock:


They could indeed, and it would be ignored.



I finally remembered it was my "mutant face" or whatever - I was playing around with photo booth and made that. Have another one that looks a bit like Voldemort - no nose. And the weird mullet-like-flock-of-seagulls look from a spiral shape. For a while there I wondered what he had against cl4p-trp. I may go back to that anyway. Or something new.
PZ Myers definition of irony - 8 October 2013 at 9:15 am (UTC -5) "You don’t get to simultaneously adopt a snide, superior tone AND claim that you’re a martyr"
User avatar
Badger3k
.
.
 
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby oolon** » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:16 pm  •  [Post 15993]

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012 ... in-vacula/

Seems pretty good to me - if Justin had apologised for the mistakes he admitted he made JT would stand up for him. Even apologising for *some* if he has justification for the others... Not quite the bow-and-scrape John Welch thinks is needed.
User avatar
oolon**
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tigzy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:16 pm  •  [Post 15994]

bhoytony wrote:
Tigzy wrote: I admit, there was some novelty in discovering a sweaty sock who liked Maggie Thatcher...



I don't believe you. At the moment there are twice as many Giant Pandas in Scotland as there are Tory MPs. Fact.


I swear, the first time I heard him blurt out, 'They should never have got rid of Maggie Thatcher', I feared that reality might collapse.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:19 pm  •  [Post 15995]

Tigzy wrote:
If your goal is angry visual digs at speakers, event sponsors (which I was) or other donors or visitors to your event, then maybe mocking a person’s product that is on display for purchase is indeed the environment you want to encourage.



Enjoy your knock-off Gucci and Cubic Zirconium all you want but personally attack an attendee with mock-ups of her art while she sits in plain view at an an event in a direct attempt to belittler her?




Fuckin hilarious :lol: Honestly, you couldn't make this shit up.


Just for the record, much has been said by Amy and others about her being harassed by a person or people wearing jewelry to mock her.
She never mentioned this jewelry until AFTER TAM was over. Look at her first tearful post on Ophelia's blog. Plenty of mention of Harriet Hall's T-shirt, tweets, people avoiding her table (and this is funny, she complains because people that don't care for her avoided her table but she would have complained more if they come up to her table. You can't win with her), but no mention of this horrible jewelry.
She made no mention of it until after people started posting TAM pics upon their return.
Why? Because no one was taunting her with fake jewelry. She only learned that some people had some "in joke" in reference to her berating a fellow female speaker at TAM for Twitter follow-crime a month before TAM( the person she said should be embarrassed was following AngrySkepChick) AFTER she got home.
If anyone can show she mentioned this jewelry during TAM itself, my hypothesis is null. But I have tried to search with no luck. Twitter makes it hard to see older tweets, etc...
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby CommanderTuvok » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 pm  •  [Post 15996]

oolon** wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012/10/open-letter-to-justin-vacula/

Seems pretty good to me - if Justin had apologised for the mistakes he admitted he made JT would stand up for him. Even apologising for *some* if he has justification for the others... Not quite the bow-and-scrape John Welch thinks is needed.


Bullshit, tainted one. No amount of apologies would have worked. They launched a witch hunt, and they do not stop until the witch is drowned.

BTW, perineum, what do you think of Surly Amy's doc-dropping? Will you resort to the standard Baboon rationalisation (ie Baboons reserve the right to doc drop if they feel like), or actually admit Amy was wrong to do it?
User avatar
CommanderTuvok
.
.
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby CommanderTuvok » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm  •  [Post 15997]

Guest wrote:
Tigzy wrote:If anyone can show she mentioned this jewelry during TAM itself, my hypothesis is null. But I have tried to search with no luck. Twitter makes it hard to see older tweets, etc...


Quite frankly, now that it well known Amy is such a liar and manipulator of the facts, I am skeptical of everything she has ever said. That goes for most of the Baboons - I simply don't believe them when they talk about all the "threats" they have received. They use the cover of "threats" as an excuse to doc-drop, although in the case of Surly Amy, she never received any threat, only a counter DMCA.
User avatar
CommanderTuvok
.
.
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm  •  [Post 15998]

bhoytony wrote:
I thought it was called the chin rest.
I prefer to call it an oolon - half way between a cunt and an arsehole.

Have THREE internets, you cunt!
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4427
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:33 pm  •  [Post 15999]

The address you registered with is the BT one.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4427
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:34 pm  •  [Post 16000]

Lsuoma wrote:The address you registered with is the BT one.

That was to oolon , BTW...
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4427
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby SkepticalCat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 pm  •  [Post 16001]

Lsuoma wrote:Not while you post as guest when a registered user is posting from the same IP, but you don't identify yourself as registered. That sort of behaviour is frowned upon: please stop.


I apologize, Lsuoma. Thought I had logged in at work but obviously didn't, and didn't notice until my after my message was posted.
"What is it with these big-name skeptics that they are so thin-skinned about any criticism at all?" - PZ Myers
User avatar
SkepticalCat
.
.
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby The Pelagic Argosy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 pm  •  [Post 16002]

Dick Strawkins wrote:
John D wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHBwaa1_n0o

Matt Dillacunty is now demanding that the A+ moderators apologize to him! He swears and everything. Next volley is tossed by A+ and they will call Matt a misogynist!


No, next step is a petition to have him removed as president of the Austin Atheists due to his disgraceful harrassment of A+ team and their safe spaces. :lol:

And before we know it he'll be posting here and calling people cunts! I'd pay money to see that—not very much money, though, as, being a Yorkshireman, I'm a tight cunt (oo-er missus!).
User avatar
The Pelagic Argosy
.
.
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:30 pm  •  [Post 16003]

SkepticalCat wrote:
I apologize, Lsuoma. Thought I had logged in at work but obviously didn't, and didn't notice until my after my message was posted.

Apology accepted. Have a cat treat!
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4427
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby aweraw » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:40 pm  •  [Post 16004]

Found this comment on Amy's recently linked article:

20121005-they-look-for-justifications-to-hate-women.png


Yeah, all you women, we just want to find a more effective way to hate you. Especially Justin Vacula, apparently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else!
User avatar
aweraw
.
.
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:15 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:44 pm  •  [Post 16005]

I had a very refreshing talk with Reap on the phone. I hope it was good enough to be turned into a podcast.

Oolon: you should stop trying to paint us as the racists you think we are. As Alex the Lion would say: "it's all in your head".
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4439
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47 pm  •  [Post 16006]

Fucking hell I did not realise how stupid Surly Amy could be.

She starts off by linking to a screencap of Justin's posting of her address. Well, there is some evidence retained for once. In that screencap, as a good skeptic, Justin himself included a copy of the original commenter who implied Justin was after Amy's address. She then says:

Lie number two: I accused Justin of filing a counter DMCA to gain access to my address.

Wait, who said that lie? Justin clearly linked to the original comment so it is clear he did not claim you were the accuser. Perhaps someone, somewhere might have said it in a blog, but there is no link to provide evidence - you know, like Justin did. Or is "Lie number two" actually the straw man that Amy creates? But this is followed swiftly, by this little treat:

Someone else made the claim that he wanted my address. I have no idea who.

Amy linked to a screencap that included the fucking comment not two paragraphs previously. You know, the one in which Justin made it quite clear it wasn't Amy that made the claim. It has the commenter's handle in it. How difficult is this?

My address was on file with them. Justin had to go to the trademark website and search for me and or my business name to see if I indeed was telling the truth when I said Surly-Ramics was a registered trademark.

You don't have to go to the trademark website. You can go to this site called "google". Type in surlyramics. You get about two pages of internet drama, and the trademark thing is now on page 3. It was probably on page 1 back when Justin looked for it, pre-drama.

You see, when Justin filed his counter claim saying he had rights to my image and then bragged about it all over the internet, another copycat troll did the same. Someone else posted a WHOLE BUNCH of my photos and lied about me.

BWAHAHAHA. Amy has never heard of the "Streisand Effect". The irony of course is that it is popularly endorsed by pharyngulites. I wonder if the hypocrites at pharyngula would endorse it in this case?

So the retainer alone would have been $5,000 and the court cases themselves would likely have been more. And if I won I would probably never even recover my court costs because I assume the type of people who spend all day harassing me online, don’t have any money.

Dear Amy. The reason the lawyers wanted such a large retainer was a subtle hint to you that your case was hopeless. They didn't want to touch your case with a barge pole, and since brainless people who don't understand legal process don't usually factor in the possibility that they might lose, the lawyers wanted to be sure they were going to get paid for any work they did. That's why there was a $5,000 retainer.
inde vides agilem nocturnaque bella gerentem
Spence
.
.
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Badger3k » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:09 pm  •  [Post 16007]

aweraw wrote:Found this comment on Amy's recently linked article:

20121005-they-look-for-justifications-to-hate-women.png


Yeah, all you women, we just want to find a more effective way to hate you. Especially Justin Vacula, apparently.


Well, I've basically ignored him, but really, I know he hates Justin, but what a slimy cunt. There you go.
PZ Myers definition of irony - 8 October 2013 at 9:15 am (UTC -5) "You don’t get to simultaneously adopt a snide, superior tone AND claim that you’re a martyr"
User avatar
Badger3k
.
.
 
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby CommanderTuvok » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:34 pm  •  [Post 16008]

Oolon STILL can't bring himself to "address" Surly Amy's doc-drop of ElevatorGATE. Mind you, all of the Baboons are brushing that under the carpet.
User avatar
CommanderTuvok
.
.
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Saint N. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:28 pm  •  [Post 16009]

oolon** wrote:
Saint N. wrote:Let me give you two sentences:

1.) "I choose not to use certain words because I don't feel comfortable saying them."

2.) "You are not allowed to say certain words because I don't feel comfortable hearing them."

Can you spot the difference between these two statements? Because if you can't I don't see us having much of a fruitful conversation. Somebody setting themselves as the arbiter of their own diction (drawing the limits and boundaries to what they personally see as appropriate and inappropriate), is quite difference than somebody stipulating to another person a set list of acceptable and unacceptable words on the basis that if this list is not followed by the person one wishes to impose it on, this person is by definition of an indecent character.


Saint N, First of all - saw you pointing me to this reply - I missed it so not trying to ignore you or Steersman who made some good points as well.

You don't address why 1) is an option at all, why self select or censor? Where does the lack of comfort come from and why is it applied to some words over others? Just because an argument has been made that in a particular area the slur is not a slur? Is the internet not a world-wide medium or do you somehow only care if your 'tribe' are offended or find offence in your words? What percentage does it take for it to be accepted or not? Think confirmation bias might slip in for slimepitters seeking how accepted a particular word is? cf. Dick needing only one data point, Rebecca Watson, to confirm to him that 'twat' is ok. By that not-logic all words are ok as someone somewhere will find them inoffensive!


First you'd have to explain to me why 1) would not be an option, especially in a unmoderated forum, given that in my original reply to you I say, "the first [statement] is a personal choice whose restricts bar on no one else but the person who has self-selected to uphold it." There is no actual requirement on here for you or anyone else to use/not use any epithets whatsoever. But you can't externalize your personal discomfort onto others without expecting to get objections from people who have a different take (it's not rational to demand for others to just take offense on your behalf if they are not offended). As to why some people feel more comfortable with one epithet over another, different people have different reasons, and I refuse to generalize on something that has no one answer. I can only speak for myself, as I did when I told you,

Personally, I care more about context in which words are used than words themselves. No word is inherently evil to me, I judge their benignity or maliciousness within the context that they're stated. If I can't derive any context I reserve judgement as a one should when insufficient data is available. You're more than welcome to abstain from using any words you choose to take issue with (for whatever reason you want), likewise no one else is obligated to agree with your reasons, or even consider your reasons as valid.


I don't actually censor by diction on account of not wanting to offend people. If there are words (whether casual niceties or profanities) I don't use it's more because they're not part of my everyday vocabulary rather than that I see them as 'bad'. (by not being part of my everyday vocabulary I mean that I would have to make a conscious effort to remind myself to use them just to make a point of using them, which would be a silly exercise IMO). But I don't police other people's word choice, nor do I jump to conclusion about their character based on the words they use.

When you say this,

Just because an argument has been made that in a particular area the slur is not a slur? Is the internet not a world-wide medium or do you somehow only care if your 'tribe' are offended or find offence in your words? What percentage does it take for it to be accepted or not?


You'll have to be kind enough to point out how any of this relates to what I said to you. Remember when you're responding to me, you're not arguing with others here, you're arguing with me and the points I raise. Especially when I already made it a point to say, "Unlike at FtB, there is still no rule here forbidding any of these words either explicitly or implicitly, evident by the fact that we've said them now several times with no repercussions whatsoever." When my position is I don't care what words you use or don't use, you can't very well come out and claim that I'm concerned with not offending 'my tribe' (as you put it). The stance my 'tribe' has taken is that you can say whatever the hell you want here, but when people respond don't cry foul about it. The reason some people here point out the word choices of FtBers is that, unlike us, they have made it a point to care about other people's diction; they have a whole list of verboten words that if used by a person, in any situation, defines them as irredeemable immoral scumbags. Pointing out the humor when they fail to live up to the standard they demand of everyone else is not a bias, when our only standard is that censorship (y'know, the kind that's imposed on others) is antithetical to freethought.

Dick needing only one data point, Rebecca Watson, to confirm to him that 'twat' is ok.


Far be it for me to speak for Dick (and he can jump in to scold me if I'm wrong), but his main point appears to be that you're not over at skepchick or FtB taking Watson to task over her usage of the word (why not?), when she is going around denouncing anyone who disagrees with her as a misogynist for saying 'twat'. Us pointing out her failure to live up to the standards she demands of others is not contradictory to the basic Slyme Pit MO, which is that words have no inherent moral value, and its immature to demand for anyone else to adopt your notion of what constitutes decent discoruse by fiat.

By that not-logic all words are ok as someone somewhere will find them inoffensive!


Again, you're not arguing with my points to you here. But let me just say that I've already stating my perspective that words are not evil or bad, so yeah all words are ok, in and of themselves (see my earlier quote).

oolon** wrote:Rest of your comment brings in context, I am not saying it is irrelevant but I'm hoping we can assume that the person hearing the slurs we are discussing finds them extremely offensive in the context used.


Somebody being offended does not make the act of being offended automatically valid or reasonable (again, context is needed). The context you provide is somebody simply saying 'cunt' as being enough to warrant offense (at least that's what prominent FTBers are saying). I disagree with that. As its been said to you before (by many people), 'cunt' is not a slur in every situation. Just like dick is not a slur every situation. Just like 'fucker' and 'shit' are not slurs in every situation. Just like every single epithet is not a slur in every situation (yes, that includes 'faggot' and 'nigger'). You, personally, are welcome to feel put off and offended by anything you like, but you can't demand of others to either agree with your offense or to amend their behavior to accommodate your offense just on the basis that you're offended. This again goes back to the difference between sentences 1) and 2) I stated above. Some people will work to remedy whatever issues you happen to have, some people won't. However, on a forum that's not moderated it makes no sense to argue incessantly about how different people are using/not using different words, when you know full well that their is no external imperative forcing anyone to follow a preapproved list, and there are no penalties for saying/not saying (a) certain word(s).

tl;dr Oolon your conflation of personal word choice and imposed censorship (by which if you fail to censor along the lines of the approved narrative you're dismissed as an immoral and indecent person by definition) is wrongheaded at best, and disingenuous at worst.
Evidence or GTFO
Saint N.
.
.
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:47 pm  •  [Post 16010]

real horrorshow wrote:
sacha wrote:Gollum is Phil Plait - so that one is already taken. Original ERV Slime Pit.

I already said that! I swear , it's like I'm the token chick at the meeting here!


You did mention it here first, but I had not read it yet.

"token chick" haha
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby welch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:17 pm  •  [Post 16011]

CommanderTuvok wrote:
oolon** wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012/10/open-letter-to-justin-vacula/

Seems pretty good to me - if Justin had apologised for the mistakes he admitted he made JT would stand up for him. Even apologising for *some* if he has justification for the others... Not quite the bow-and-scrape John Welch thinks is needed.


Bullshit, tainted one. No amount of apologies would have worked. They launched a witch hunt, and they do not stop until the witch is drowned.

BTW, perineum, what do you think of Surly Amy's doc-dropping? Will you resort to the standard Baboon rationalisation (ie Baboons reserve the right to doc drop if they feel like), or actually admit Amy was wrong to do it?


Oolon's so full of shit he sharts when he burps. "If he'd only apologize." Justin said the thing with amy's address was stupid and he shouldn't have done it. But that's not enough. Because if you see what the fuckwits at FTB put Justin Griffith through, no ONLY did he have to apologize for supporting Abbie's right to have an opinion, even if he didn't agree with it, he had to reject all the overtures he'd made towards actually talking with us, and start actively shitting on us. Then, and ONLY then had he "done enough to make up for his mistake"

So Oolon saying "if he'd just apologize" is bollocks on a fucking stick. That crowd doesn't want an apology in the "admission of error and stating one will not repeat said error" sense that sane people mean. What they mean is a groveling amount of bowing and scraping and you must, MUST join in the hatred of the others.
If you're going to ignore me, then actually do it. But that does require some work. So you probably won't do it right.
User avatar
welch
.
.
 
Posts: 7240
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby welch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 pm  •  [Post 16012]

CommanderTuvok wrote:Oolon STILL can't bring himself to "address" Surly Amy's doc-drop of ElevatorGATE. Mind you, all of the Baboons are brushing that under the carpet.



Of fucking course he won't. It's only bad when the others do it.


What a hypocritical cunt.
If you're going to ignore me, then actually do it. But that does require some work. So you probably won't do it right.
User avatar
welch
.
.
 
Posts: 7240
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby welch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 pm  •  [Post 16013]

oolon** wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012/10/open-letter-to-justin-vacula/

Seems pretty good to me - if Justin had apologised for the mistakes he admitted he made JT would stand up for him. Even apologising for *some* if he has justification for the others... Not quite the bow-and-scrape John Welch thinks is needed.


Justin Griffith's experience would suggest you're full of shit. Per usual.
If you're going to ignore me, then actually do it. But that does require some work. So you probably won't do it right.
User avatar
welch
.
.
 
Posts: 7240
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Skep tickle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:17 pm  •  [Post 16014]



From the "Lies" post:
...please skip to the end to see some pendants I have been making to help fundraise for the fabulous fledging organization, Secular Woman. ...

One thing I have been doing is making necklaces to help raise money for the new organization, Secular Woman. They are doing travel grants to send women to SkeptiCon, a type of project I have headed in the past. I support their efforts to do the same. You can pick up a custom fundraiser necklace in my Etsy shop. 50% of the proceeds go to Secular Woman for their travel grants. I will likely continue to offer the necklaces after SKeptiCon to help support the SW team. I really like what they are doing. ...


Tempting to think she only started supporting Secular Woman after they dissed JV, but the piece she made for them (for which she's donating half the proceeds) was posted on etsy 6 days ago, and other featured posts at Secular Woman right now include "A White Woman's Privilege" and "I am a Secular (Trans) Woman". If I were JV I might withdraw my endorsement of SW, but maybe he's taking the high road.
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 2517
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Postby sacha » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 pm  •  [Post 16015]

My Dearest Slime Pitters,

Power, is the ability to ignore the one who demands your attention.


I would rather not read continuous pages of nearly the same explanations to the one who "cannot access his account". The reason he keeps asking the same questions is because you continue to answer him.
I know you find it enjoyable when your disingenuous interpretations result in a defensive, or aggressive reaction.

Making an issue out of the use of the word "policing" as if you did not understand the context, is just another time you pretend to misunderstand, and then act as though you have discovered evidence of hypocrisy and wave your deliberate misrepresentation like a flag, in order to lure someone here to react.

By interacting here, you are able to be the centre of attention at FTB, and by being a regular there, you have a captive audience, in both places

The manufactured misunderstandings and accusations, and even the "polite" questions and commentary in your discussions here, are nothing but an over the top, contrived performance with the intent to antagonise, entice, and engage.

You love the game.


Let's go back and have a look, shall we?
viewtopic.php?p=15529#p15529


As for the word cunt, the day Merkins stop giving it power, is the day I stop using it in the US.


If you want to continue responding reacting to this person, start a new fucking thread.


with love and devotion,

sacha
Cunt Extraordinaire
Gender Traitors International
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Postby aweraw » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 pm  •  [Post 16016]

sacha wrote:Power, is the ability to ignore the one who demands your attention


Quite right. Henceforth, I shall give him the same courtesy as I extend to Mabus.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else!
User avatar
aweraw
.
.
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:15 am

Jesus and MO

Postby mordacious1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 pm  •  [Post 16017]

Over at RD.net, they have the introduction, written by Richard Dawkins, to a new collection of Jesus and Mo comics:
http://richarddawkins.net/news_articles ... G-xCk3A9Ik

In part, Richard states:

The satire’s breadth of coverage runs the gamut of contemporary controversy. I can think of no major issue in the whole absurd panoply of religious discourse which has escaped the penetrating eye of the anonymous Author of Jesus and Mo. Turning even-handedly to those who oppose contemporary religion, he accurately lampoons the bitchy infighting to which right-on progressives are unfortunately prone – shades of Monty Python and the Judean People’s Front


Bolding mine. In the comments OB states:
Author's a friend of mine. [struts proudly]


She didn't bitch about "bitchy", which is unusual for her.
User avatar
mordacious1
.
.
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Jesus and MO

Postby Dick Strawkins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:48 pm  •  [Post 16018]

mordacious1 wrote:Over at RD.net, they have the introduction, written by Richard Dawkins, to a new collection of Jesus and Mo comics:
http://richarddawkins.net/news_articles ... G-xCk3A9Ik

In the comments OB states:
Author's a friend of mine. [struts proudly]




Some friend she is.
Does anyone remember the time that Jesus and Mo had that cartoon based on PZ, mansplainin' correct feminism to the barmaid? It was about a month after elevatorgate started.
Ophelia was so furious that she outed the J and M's authors name on Butterflies and Wheels.
(the name began with "D" -It's memory holed now and there's no way I'm going to repeat it here)
Outing someone like that, someone who is more than likely to be targeted for murder by Islamic fundamentalists, just because they make a joke you don't like, is hardly the action of a friend.
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Dick Strawkins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 pm  •  [Post 16019]

Wait a second.
oolon has a btinternet email?
He lives in the UK?

If that's the case, or if he's lived there in the recent past, then all his complaints over the meanings of "cunt" and "twat" are a sham. He already knows what they mean to non USA people.
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Postby Michael K Gray » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 pm  •  [Post 16020]

sacha wrote:My Dearest Slime Pitters,

Power, is the ability to ignore the one who demands your attention.

Spot on advice.
But I shall deviate for a momentary parting-shot, and paraphrase the sexy Hitchens:
"If you gave Oolon an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox."
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Jesus and MO

Postby Michael K Gray » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 pm  •  [Post 16021]

mordacious1 wrote:Bolding mine. In the comments OB states:
Author's a friend of mine. [struts proudly]

A friend?
Ophelia Benson? A friend?
I thought they all abandoned her after she became senile a few years ago, and started dumping on everyone and everything in a raging conniption-fit of parallel illogic.
"You aren't my son! Nurse! Nurse! Someone stole my my money. And my bra. It was you, I know it was. I want to speak to President Hoover right now!"
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Jesus and MO

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:34 pm  •  [Post 16022]

Dick Strawkins wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:Over at RD.net, they have the introduction, written by Richard Dawkins, to a new collection of Jesus and Mo comics:
http://richarddawkins.net/news_articles ... G-xCk3A9Ik

In the comments OB states:
Author's a friend of mine. [struts proudly]




Some friend she is.
Does anyone remember the time that Jesus and Mo had that cartoon based on PZ, mansplainin' correct feminism to the barmaid? It was about a month after elevatorgate started.
Ophelia was so furious that she outed the J and M's authors name on Butterflies and Wheels.
(the name began with "D" -It's memory holed now and there's no way I'm going to repeat it here)
Outing someone like that, someone who is more than likely to be targeted for murder by Islamic fundamentalists, just because they make a joke you don't like, is hardly the action of a friend.


That's really despicable, what an irresponsible piece of shit. Is there a screen shot of this episode, with the author's name redacted of course? I seem to remember following a link from here to the cartoon in question and seeing replies from the Old Goat amongst the discussion.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Saint N. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 pm  •  [Post 16023]

If Ophelia had tried to talk crap to Dawkins about his intro to the Jesus & Mo comic, he could have brought back this summer classic,

Image

C'mon people, don't let this meme die young!
Evidence or GTFO
Saint N.
.
.
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:46 pm  •  [Post 16024]

Dammit! This is what I get for attempting to have a life away from the internet. I've gotta go catch up with the new Dillahunty drama! :doh:

But first...

real horrorshow wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Technically, the 'biff' or 'biffin bridge' is not the twat but the perinium or 'barse'. So called because during (missionary position) intercourse the gentleman's balls biff against it. Benefits of a Classical education.


Sometimes called the tainter, cause 'taint 'er cunt, and 'tain't 'er arsehole, either.


Quite so, indeed the terms may be used in a gender-specific manner. Since 'barse' derives from the male, being between balls and arse and 'taint' or 'tainter' from the female, as you say.


I've heard and seen taint used in reference to both the male and female perineum by fellow U.S. Americans. Actually, the last time I heard it was in reference to some press release about research that showed that the distance between a man's ballsack and asshole could be used to measure their level of fertility, a narrow distance pointing towards lesser fertility... :think:
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Michael K Gray » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 pm  •  [Post 16025]

JackRayner wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:Quite so, indeed the terms may be used in a gender-specific manner. Since 'barse' derives from the male, being between balls and arse and 'taint' or 'tainter' from the female, as you say.

I have it on good authority that "barse" is the result of a euphemistic attempt at speaking the very common antipodean colloquialism: "Arse Backwards" in proximity of someone requiring a fainting couch.
Perform a quick Spoonerism on "Arse Backwards" to render it" Barse Ackwards", which can be uttered in front of one's fragile maiden aunt without consequence.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Jesus and MO

Postby mordacious1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 am  •  [Post 16026]

Dick Strawkins

Some friend she is.
Does anyone remember the time that Jesus and Mo had that cartoon based on PZ, mansplainin' correct feminism to the barmaid? It was about a month after elevatorgate started.
Ophelia was so furious that she outed the J and M's authors name on Butterflies and Wheels.


Yes, I remember that very well. She's a sick piece of work, that one. Doing something like that can get someone killed (and I don't mean getting upset that someone warned you that you might want to take care at TAM, I mean stabbed, shot, beaten and sent to the Russian front).
User avatar
mordacious1
.
.
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Jesus and MO

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:08 am  •  [Post 16027]

Guest wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:Over at RD.net, they have the introduction, written by Richard Dawkins, to a new collection of Jesus and Mo comics:
http://richarddawkins.net/news_articles ... G-xCk3A9Ik

In the comments OB states:
Author's a friend of mine. [struts proudly]




Some friend she is.
Does anyone remember the time that Jesus and Mo had that cartoon based on PZ, mansplainin' correct feminism to the barmaid? It was about a month after elevatorgate started.
Ophelia was so furious that she outed the J and M's authors name on Butterflies and Wheels.
(the name began with "D" -It's memory holed now and there's no way I'm going to repeat it here)
Outing someone like that, someone who is more than likely to be targeted for murder by Islamic fundamentalists, just because they make a joke you don't like, is hardly the action of a friend.


That's really despicable, what an irresponsible piece of shit. Is there a screen shot of this episode, with the author's name redacted of course? I seem to remember following a link from here to the cartoon in question and seeing replies from the Old Goat amongst the discussion.


At the time I thought it best not to draw attention to it (publicising the authors name could, after all, get him killed.)
I went back recently and saw that it's not there anymore - another one down the memory hole!

I guessed her intention in posting his name was not to get him eliminated, rather it was done to send him a message that persisting in posting cartoons that made light of PZ's hypocrisy (and thus the whole FTB/Skepchick cause) would get him doxxed.
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Jesus and MO

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 am  •  [Post 16028]

mordacious1 wrote:Dick Strawkins

Some friend she is.
Does anyone remember the time that Jesus and Mo had that cartoon based on PZ, mansplainin' correct feminism to the barmaid? It was about a month after elevatorgate started.
Ophelia was so furious that she outed the J and M's authors name on Butterflies and Wheels.


Yes, I remember that very well. She's a sick piece of work, that one. Doing something like that can get someone killed (and I don't mean getting upset that someone warned you that you might want to take care at TAM, I mean stabbed, shot, beaten and sent to the Russian front).

I don't remember this egregious episode.
Was it documented in any way?
If so, where?
Can you prove that it happened with the cartoonist's consent?
This needs much further robust investigation, because of the seriousness, should it prove to be true.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Jesus and MO

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:27 am  •  [Post 16029]

Michael K Gray wrote:Can you prove that it happened with the cartoonist's consent?

"withOUT the cartoonist's consent", of course.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Butters » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 am  •  [Post 16030]

JackRayner wrote:Dammit! This is what I get for attempting to have a life away from the internet. I've gotta go catch up with the new Dillahunty drama! :doh:

But first...

real horrorshow wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Technically, the 'biff' or 'biffin bridge' is not the twat but the perinium or 'barse'. So called because during (missionary position) intercourse the gentleman's balls biff against it. Benefits of a Classical education.


Sometimes called the tainter, cause 'taint 'er cunt, and 'tain't 'er arsehole, either.


Quite so, indeed the terms may be used in a gender-specific manner. Since 'barse' derives from the male, being between balls and arse and 'taint' or 'tainter' from the female, as you say.


I've heard and seen taint used in reference to both the male and female perineum by fellow U.S. Americans. Actually, the last time I heard it was in reference to some press release about research that showed that the distance between a man's ballsack and asshole could be used to measure their level of fertility, a narrow distance pointing towards lesser fertility... :think:


Just to keep with the taint theme, anyone remember this from Mr. Show in 1998?
IT'S INSANE THIS GUY'S TAINT!



I still have my mini-poster version of Taint Your Wagon around here somewhere.
User avatar
Butters
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Saint N. » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:42 am  •  [Post 16031]

There is a guest piece up at the friendly atheist site that talks about drama in the atheist community, http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -movement/

There is nothing controversial in it, and the writer stays away from condemning any specific incidences or behaviors (I think it's meant to calm people down more than anything). But there is a note in it that made me laugh hard enough for my goldfish to jump,

I’m extraordinarily thankful to have people like Hemant spending so much of his time blogging AND being involved with Foundation Beyond Belief AND working as a teacher full-time. I’m so glad Greta Christina has poured herself into the movement and provides us with her insights.


Catch the disparity there. Hemant, thanks for doing this necessary real life activism that makes the movement function, in addition to having an actual job; Greta...nice insights you got there. Oh, I know it wasn't meant to be funny but it's just hilarious and more telling than this person even meant for it to be :lol:
Evidence or GTFO
Saint N.
.
.
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:55 am  •  [Post 16032]

oolon** wrote:
Is it a crime to be at my in-laws? They are both Methodist Ministers so I have to to something to avoid conversation...


Mate, despite the differences and insults you have my sympathy.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby masakari2012 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:01 am  •  [Post 16033]

Tony Parsehole, when I woke up, I saw your post and edited our wiki.
http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Witch ... 16.2C_2012

I still have to catch up on all of the posts here since that time. Now going back into lurk-mode....
“I want to do whatever it takes to make sure that he [thunderf00t] is essentially drummed out of this movement, never invited to speak anywhere again and is forever a pariah.” - Ed Brayton
User avatar
masakari2012
.
.
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby rayshul » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:01 am  •  [Post 16034]



The "better to be murdered than raped" discussion from WoolyBumblebee - I think Justicar also discusses it.

A+, not quite as safe as advertised.
"My hyper-important vagina is offended, appease it at once!" - Philip of Tealand
User avatar
rayshul
.
.
 
Posts: 2059
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:09 am  •  [Post 16035]

Dick Strawkins wrote:Wait a second.
oolon has a btinternet email?
He lives in the UK?

If that's the case, or if he's lived there in the recent past, then all his complaints over the meanings of "cunt" and "twat" are a sham. He already knows what they mean to non USA people.

I thought exactly the same thing. He's been caught pretending to misunderstand again. Got to hand it to the little git. He is a damn fine troll. Damn fine.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:19 am  •  [Post 16036]

masakari2012 wrote:Tony Parsehole, when I woke up, I saw your post and edited our wiki.
http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Witch ... 16.2C_2012

I still have to catch up on all of the posts here since that time. Now going back into lurk-mode....

Which post in particular? You need top edit the Matt entry a little bit more very soon as it seems he made another video last night and seems to be getting more pissed off with A+. :popcorn:
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Rystefn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:39 am  •  [Post 16037]

Wow... I forgot how difficult it is to keep up with you folk here. Checking once or twice a day just isn't going to do it unless I'm going to spend huge swaths of time reading or say fuck it and just skim through.

Oh well. I'll get back in practice soon enough, I suppose.
User avatar
Rystefn
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby disumbrationist » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:43 am  •  [Post 16038]

By the way, I looove Dillahunty's latest video. He describes his 'experiment' to demonstrate the sanity of the A+theism forums, but says that his experiment never went to completion.
Ha!
No no no. Matt, you walked into the Large Moron Collider, where particles of stupid and lazy are crashed into each other at relativistic speeds, creating new and exotic galaxies of fallacies and sanctimonious whining.
You grabbed the largest handle you could find.
"Don't worry," you said. "The bullshit flux is just a tad too high. I'll just make this tiny adjustment too show how robust the machine is."
A small black hole, built from compressed persecution complex, formed that day, swallowing you and your internet fame whole.
The experiment was a incredible success.
Once you stop asking questions, once you let Stalin into your soul, you can only smile, and smile, and smile.
- Ursula K. LeGuin
User avatar
disumbrationist
.
.
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:53 am  •  [Post 16039]

disumbrationist wrote:By the way, I looove Dillahunty's latest video. He describes his 'experiment' to demonstrate the sanity of the A+theism forums, but says that his experiment never went to completion.
Ha!
No no no. Matt, you walked into the Large Moron Collider, where particles of stupid and lazy are crashed into each other at relativistic speeds, creating new and exotic galaxies of fallacies and sanctimonious whining.
You grabbed the largest handle you could find.
"Don't worry," you said. "The bullshit flux is just a tad too high. I'll just make this tiny adjustment too show how robust the machine is."
A small black hole, built from compressed persecution complex, formed that day, swallowing you and your internet fame whole.
The experiment was a incredible success.


:lol: Nice! :clap:

I watched the whole thing and I'm hoping that Dillahunty sticks to his guns about demanding that the A+Theists apologize to him, and that the inmates running the asylum over at the forums stick to their as well.

I'm saddened that he still won't admit that his little experiment proves him wrong, but there's still hope for a greater shit storm!
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:07 am  •  [Post 16040]

disumbrationist wrote:By the way, I looove Dillahunty's latest video. He describes his 'experiment' to demonstrate the sanity of the A+theism forums, but says that his experiment never went to completion.
Ha!
No no no. Matt, you walked into the Large Moron Collider, where particles of stupid and lazy are crashed into each other at relativistic speeds, creating new and exotic galaxies of fallacies and sanctimonious whining.
You grabbed the largest handle you could find.
"Don't worry," you said. "The bullshit flux is just a tad too high. I'll just make this tiny adjustment too show how robust the machine is."
A small black hole, built from compressed persecution complex, formed that day, swallowing you and your internet fame whole.
The experiment was a incredible success.

That was brilliant. I have the imagery stuck in my head.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:43 am  •  [Post 16041]

JackRayner wrote:
disumbrationist wrote:By the way, I looove Dillahunty's latest video. He describes his 'experiment' to demonstrate the sanity of the A+theism forums, but says that his experiment never went to completion.
Ha!
No no no. Matt, you walked into the Large Moron Collider, where particles of stupid and lazy are crashed into each other at relativistic speeds, creating new and exotic galaxies of fallacies and sanctimonious whining.
You grabbed the largest handle you could find.
"Don't worry," you said. "The bullshit flux is just a tad too high. I'll just make this tiny adjustment too show how robust the machine is."
A small black hole, built from compressed persecution complex, formed that day, swallowing you and your internet fame whole.
The experiment was a incredible success.


:lol: Nice! :clap:

I watched the whole thing and I'm hoping that Dillahunty sticks to his guns about demanding that the A+Theists apologize to him, and that the inmates running the asylum over at the forums stick to their as well.

I'm saddened that he still won't admit that his little experiment proves him wrong, but there's still hope for a greater shit storm!


He does admit, in the latest clip, that they would have done nothing if he hadn't revealed his true (and oh so important) identity.
He just can't bring himself to admit out loud that the detractors have been proven 100% correct.
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby oolon** » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:49 am  •  [Post 16042]

welch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Oolon STILL can't bring himself to "address" Surly Amy's doc-drop of ElevatorGATE. Mind you, all of the Baboons are brushing that under the carpet.


Of fucking course he won't. It's only bad when the others do it.

What a hypocritical cunt.


Ugh I hate to point it out but I have no idea what this one is... I have seen the Rebecca 'doc drop' and was not impressed. I thought ElevatorGate was 'franc' Ivan the Terrible Ivanoff? I don't really keep up with all the details. But if you send me a link to the 'doc drop' then I'll give you my pronouncement as it seems to be so important I accept someone from FtBs-Skepchick *can* do something reprehensible. I know some here are so invested in their position that it seems like my 'side' think 'Peezus' and the others are all above reproach but really there is no slimewrongula so do you really think people are that bothered by all the controversy'? I'm personally sure PZ, Rebecca, Amy etc can be perfect shits at times - they are not that different from you and I?

Cunt and the UK, nope it is not accepted as a non-sexist term. You try using it in the workplace and see what gets put down by HR on your dismissal letter (My wife has worked in HR in private and public companies for over 10 yrs so I have real data). I had a similar conversation when I was a teenager, a friend thought that given a lot of our asian mates used 'paki' it was fine for him to talk about the 'paki shop' up the road. I didn't really convince him until we got nearer the shop and said 'ok if paki is fine then you use the word in earshot of the shop owners' ... He didn't.
User avatar
oolon**
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:55 am  •  [Post 16043]

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... n-apology/

So it begins.... I'm surprised FTB aren't trying to sweep this under the carpet: It's JT missing Matt Dillahunty's point/experiment completely and saying Matt D should apologise. Points of note are that JT is beamoaning the fact that SkepTickle, who made the heinous mistake of questioning the A+ dogma (and being subsequently banned) is now "welcomed with open arms at the Slyme Pit" thus proving how evil we are that we would welcome a sceptic who occasionally asks questions.
JT also makes the mistake of saying the A+forum is troll fatigued. Troll fatigued? They have 1853 users and have only banned 30, including Matt, for "trolling". hardly warrants fatigue.*


I have only skimmed it so far as I can't be arsed going in depth at the minute.

*hat-tip to integralmath on Youtube
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tony Parsehole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:01 am  •  [Post 16044]

oolon** wrote:What a hypocritical cunt.

Cunt and the UK, nope it is not accepted as a non-sexist term. You try using it in the workplace and see what gets put down by HR on your dismissal letter[/quote]

Bullshit. Absolute fucking bullshit Oolon. I use it all the fucking time at work and so do the higher managers (both male and female). Cunt has no gender specific connotations in the UK. In the film "Snatch" from at least 10 years ago, the cockney gangsters use the term cunt to refer to horrible men NOT women in general. I don't know why I am even bothering. You know this is true but you like to be a disingenuous twat and deny it.
"It wasn't long before the arse-featured animals were all vibrating frenziedly"
Image
User avatar
Tony Parsehole
.
.
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:12 am  •  [Post 16045]

oolon** wrote:
Cunt and the UK, nope it is not accepted as a non-sexist term. You try using it in the workplace and see what gets put down by HR on your dismissal letter (My wife has worked in HR in private and public companies for over 10 yrs so I have real data). I had a similar conversation when I was a teenager, a friend thought that given a lot of our asian mates used 'paki' it was fine for him to talk about the 'paki shop' up the road. I didn't really convince him until we got nearer the shop and said 'ok if paki is fine then you use the word in earshot of the shop owners' ... He didn't.


While in the UK, I've heard "cunt" used many times against males. And a non-trivial fraction of it by my own girlfriend.

As for your "Paki" anecdote, it's funny because my sister did (and still does) hold the belief her Pakistani friends don't mind being called that. She never believed me when I told her they confessed to me it was highly insulting. And now here I come back with culture and language: my girlfriend is Polish, and we used to travel a lot to Italy for my musical endeavours. The italian word for Polish is "Polack" (same as the actual Polish language name for "Polish"), a term considered very derogatory to Poles in French language, but colloquial (or vernacular, I don't know, the thing used by everybody) in Italian, and Polish.

In other words: YMMV
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4439
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Darren » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:15 am  •  [Post 16046]

disumbrationist wrote:No no no. Matt, you walked into the Large Moron Collider, where particles of stupid and lazy are crashed into each other at relativistic speeds, creating new and exotic galaxies of fallacies and sanctimonious whining.


...and thus the A+ forums became known as the LMC.
Image
User avatar
Darren
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:40 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Rystefn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:20 am  •  [Post 16047]

Shit, I've used "cunt" at work in the U.S. You just have to be careful not to use around hypersensitive fuckups who have no real problems and nothing better to do with their time than cry about being victimized by a word.

Also, I've been steadily more and more disappointed with Matt Dillahunty almost every time I hear him. Here he's got an opportunity to regain my respect. I don't he's likely to take as hard a line as he should, but if he sticks to his guns and doesn't apologize, I'll be more or less satisfied. I'd be much happier if her outright said that he was wrong, and the A+ idiots are bunch of useless twats who would technically be a cult if only they were a little bit more interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.
Personally, I am of the opinion that moderation is mediocrity. We neither remember, nor are remembered for, the things we do only a little.

My half-assed blog
User avatar
Rystefn
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Butters » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:29 am  •  [Post 16048]

Tony Parsehole wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck/2012/10/06/matt-i-really-think-you-owe-them-an-apology/

So it begins.... I'm surprised FTB aren't trying to sweep this under the carpet: It's JT missing Matt Dillahunty's point/experiment completely and saying Matt D should apologise. Points of note are that JT is beamoaning the fact that SkepTickle, who made the heinous mistake of questioning the A+ dogma (and being subsequently banned) is now "welcomed with open arms at the Slyme Pit" thus proving how evil we are that we would welcome a sceptic who occasionally asks questions.
JT also makes the mistake of saying the A+forum is troll fatigued. Troll fatigued? They have 1853 users and have only banned 30, including Matt, for "trolling". hardly warrants fatigue.*


I have only skimmed it so far as I can't be arsed going in depth at the minute.

*hat-tip to integralmath on Youtube



Just saw this comment over there:


Image

They WISH their forum will ever be as useful for anyone as Wikipedia.
But getting back to the point I think they are trying to make about "not disrupting WIkipedia to make a point"

A. All the mods had to do was not shit-can a comment immediately and then refuse to reinstate it to avoid disruption. Matt's post did not cause disruption. The insane reaction to it and the nasty comments from the regulars caused the disruption. I frankly can't think of anything that won't cause disruption over there. Some people are looking to be offended, and some mods enjoy their power a little too much.

B. Wikipedia actually has many ways to contest changes being reversed. The issues can be discussed in the open for all to see for most things. Plus Wikipedia is a useful source for factual information, so it makes sense admins there are not going to look kindly on people abusing it. Yet you don't see them demanding for Stephen Colbert to apologize everytime he or his fans on a mission change a page. The may LOCK the page (which is reasonable), but they don't set loose the hounds or tumble onto a fainting couch.
Plus, when people change pages to remove information or place mis-information...they could be called trolls legitimately. Not agreeing 100% with what everyone else writes on Atheismplus is not trolling. Matt wasn't trolling. His post, even under another account, was his true feelings or concerns.

C. If Wikipedia had the same trouble with capricious admins that Atheismplus forums has, then they need more than disrupting.
User avatar
Butters
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:52 am  •  [Post 16049]

Some new words coined at http://www.genderratic.com/p/2098/gener ... issiverse/
GENERAL – Useful new words and acronyms
Posted on October 5, 2012 by Ginkgo
I have been running across some really useful new words and I’d like to share them, spread them around, help them get a foothold in the language.

Narcissiverse - This refers to a somene’s personal delusional world, the only place where their fact-free assertions are true.

As in:

“Men cause all wars and women are the majority of victims!!!!”

“Where, in your narcissiverse?”

or:

“Women are all prostitutes who live to feed off of men!!!”

“In your naricissiverse?”

Just think how often you run into this kind of thing and how useful it will be to have a term for it.

HT: Volokh Conspiracy

Misangyny - Have you ever seen one of those endless circular debates “Oh, that only looks like misandry; it’s really misogyny…. Oh yeah right – the man has to register for the draft but the women feels excluded, so it’s misogyny! – oh waaaaah!” when really it’s both at once, even if not equally?

Well now someone has a brand new word to cover that. Use it. Spread it.

PDWG – Privilege Denying White Girl. Pronunced “pudwag”. That’s intentional.

This is someone who is quite willing to parade her moral clarity by declaring she fully acknowledges her white privilege but emphatically denies to a moral certainty that anything like female privilege exists. She is the exact analog to Privileging Denying Dude that denies the existence of male privilege. And she is a girl rather than a woman, whatever her age, because this eternal girlhood is both a function of toxic femininity in which in our society there is no functional difference between women and gitrsl, no passage from one estate to another, and also because this attitude can exist only in a thoroughly callow, sheltered and naive worldview.

Use it. Spread it.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Dick Strawkins » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:54 am  •  [Post 16050]

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
oolon** wrote:
Cunt and the UK, nope it is not accepted as a non-sexist term. You try using it in the workplace and see what gets put down by HR on your dismissal letter (My wife has worked in HR in private and public companies for over 10 yrs so I have real data). I had a similar conversation when I was a teenager, a friend thought that given a lot of our asian mates used 'paki' it was fine for him to talk about the 'paki shop' up the road. I didn't really convince him until we got nearer the shop and said 'ok if paki is fine then you use the word in earshot of the shop owners' ... He didn't.


While in the UK, I've heard "cunt" used many times against males. And a non-trivial fraction of it by my own girlfriend.

As for your "Paki" anecdote, it's funny because my sister did (and still does) hold the belief her Pakistani friends don't mind being called that. She never believed me when I told her they confessed to me it was highly insulting. And now here I come back with culture and language: my girlfriend is Polish, and we used to travel a lot to Italy for my musical endeavours. The italian word for Polish is "Polack" (same as the actual Polish language name for "Polish"), a term considered very derogatory to Poles in French language, but colloquial (or vernacular, I don't know, the thing used by everybody) in Italian, and Polish.

In other words: YMMV


I lived in England for a few years and never heard of instances where "cunt" was treated as some terrible gender specific insult.
It's treated as a serious insult, no doubt, but more along the lines of "fuckwit" or "shithead", in other word a swear word that people don't use in polite society.
You could be warned for using bad language if you called somebody a cunt but call someone a nigger or paki and you are likely to be fired.

The "paki" reference by oolon is another attempt at muddying the waters. The only people in the UK that think paki is an OK thing to call asian people are complete idiots or racists (or both).
I've personally been called a 'paki' by a group of English skinheads ("fack off out of our country, you fackin' paki") a few years back and I certainly didn't find it appropriate - and I'm not even south asian (I just tan easily!)
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 4169
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Postby bhoytony » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:56 am  •  [Post 16051]

sacha wrote:

If you want to continue responding reacting to this person, start a new fucking thread.


This is an excellent idea. I think there should be a thread devoted entirely to Slimy where he can ask his questions and those who are interested can reply. If he is honest about his intentions then this should be ideal for him. On the other hand if he is only here to stir the shit then he will continue to post his stuff on this thread and it will be absolutely clear exactly why he is here. Anybody else agree with this?
User avatar
bhoytony
.
.
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 am  •  [Post 16052]

Darren wrote:
disumbrationist wrote:No no no. Matt, you walked into the Large Moron Collider, where particles of stupid and lazy are crashed into each other at relativistic speeds, creating new and exotic galaxies of fallacies and sanctimonious whining.


...and thus the A+ forums became known as the LMC.

Complete with Noball Prizes.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Za-zen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:01 am  •  [Post 16053]

Dillahunty wanted to disprove complaints he was recieving that the Aplussers were insular and dogmatic, and would not tolerate constructive criticism.

He made a post (as a random nobody) which according to him was constructive criticism (given his objective, i will grant that). A moderator binned his post, because (by his own admission) he didn't like it. This was not a procedural bug, as both Aplussers and dillahunty want to paint it. It is confirmation of the assertion that dillahunty set out test. Dillahunty doesn't want to admit this, so he is therefore pushing the narrative, that it was a bug in the system.

The moderator did have other otions open to him, he culd have posted it in another thread if he thought it was off topic. This didnt happen. Why? Well the mod tells us why, because until he found out that it was dilly, he was doing the standard Aplus thing of viewing any criticism of Aplus as a troll, and as such binning it. Again the very assertion that dillahunty set out to test.

Dillys anon account was getting dogpilled on, in that thread, with the standard Aplus attitude of "not one of us, get him". Not one of us equates to someone who doesn't verbal wank to all things Aplus. I suggest that dillys anon account would have been banned anyway. Dillys reveal only led it to it being banned as a sock. He saved them the embarrasment of banning it as a troll.

Then they engage in a face saving exercise, as they know that they have fucked up, it isnt a random nobody they've treated with contempt, its someone who could influence opinions. Their tunes change, and a site admin appears. Its all a procedual error.

What happened afterwards is standard Aplus mentallity. Victimhood! Out came the tiny violins, the ragetears, the demands for prostration, he's making them unjustifiably look bad, he's operating from privilege (read not agreeing with us, therefore he is fundamentally wrong) he's really hurt them, they have people crying and leaving because of what he did. He caused this! His horrible attack on them. These poor victim people. If he'd had only told them who he was from the start things would have been handled so much differently

It was a procedural error/bug thats all on their part, plus just maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe the mods will be more careful not to shut someone up before they know who it is.
Dillahunty: @Zaminuszen You seem to confuse free speech with freethought. Ironic that you do this while claiming we don't know the difference. Bye!
User avatar
Za-zen
.
.
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 am  •  [Post 16054]

Tony Parsehole wrote:JT also makes the mistake of saying the A+forum is troll fatigued. Troll fatigued? They have 1853 users and have only banned 30, including Matt, for "trolling". hardly warrants fatigue.

Lol, yeah, that's just slightly over one troll per moderator, isn't it?

I think they are probably suffering moderator fatigue more than troll fatigue, as prospective witch of the week Dillahunty could attest to.

Cunt does have a mild taboo associated with it in the UK, and it will get a "tut" from prudish people, but it isn't particularly associated with sexism. Using it at work would probably only get you fired if (1) you are crap at your job and someone is looking for an excuse to fire you or (2) it is part of something in a broader context (e.g. bullying) or (3) it is directed it at a customer or member of the public while you are identifiably an employee of that organisation. But all three of those also apply to the words "fucking wanker", as an example.
inde vides agilem nocturnaque bella gerentem
Spence
.
.
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:52 am

Re: the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference.

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:10 am  •  [Post 16055]

bhoytony wrote:
sacha wrote:

If you want to continue responding reacting to this person, start a new fucking thread.


This is an excellent idea. I think there should be a thread devoted entirely to Slimy where he can ask his questions and those who are interested can reply. If he is honest about his intentions then this should be ideal for him. On the other hand if he is only here to stir the shit then he will continue to post his stuff on this thread and it will be absolutely clear exactly why he is here. Anybody else agree with this?


Nope, sorry, I don't agree. There are, I think, two possible outcomes to discussing with Oolon: a) he's a troll and will be ignored by most (I wrote a guide about that anonymous ignore thing, didn't I?) or b) he's actualy interested in having a discussion and will engage honestly.

Whatever happens, his presence on this thread instead of a more obscure one in the forum shall probably benefit onlookers.
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4439
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

PreviousNext

Return to Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CaptainFluffyBunny, Hunt, John D, katamari Damassi, KiwiInOz and 6 guests