Nerd of Redhead

A place to discuss the foibles of our favourite bloggers
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Nerd of Redhead

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

This cunt is the FFTB junkyard dog, always ready to bark at noises but totally incapable of understanding them. So, the squeal of a burglar's tires will receive the same, predictable, yapping response as will a drunk guy stumbling home while singing "Born in the USA".

Nerd has several stock phrases which he rotates in some kind of way only he understands. Once in a while, Meyers will use a big word Nerd has never seen before, and boy will Nerd jump on that motherfucker. Count on it turning up in every post for a couple weeks.

Here's the latest laughable example of his unthinking hyperbole:
The Nerd now thinks I’m MRA, which I am not now, nor ever have been
Citation needed, your words say otherwise….
Hilarious! Now this "sientist", Nerd of Redhead, needs a "citation" to prove that some unknown poster is not an MRA. And remember that, in NerdWorld, "citation" means "the peer reviewed literature". This stupid cunt is demanding that some poor shcmuck posting on FFTB undergo medial tests to prove he is not an MRA.

You're a cunt, Nerd of Redhead.

You're a stupid fucking cunt.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Nerd of Redhead

Post by Tigzy »

Nerd of Redhead isn't well liked by the person(s) behind freethoughtblahgs either: http://www.skepticalabyss.com/?p=266#comment-474
p.s.s. Nerd of Redhead is the worst – he never contributes, but pops up to shout at people, always hiding behind the threat of PZ banning people when he gets called on it. He’s like that little scrawny bully who hangs around with the big guys – always more mouthy and aggressive than them, but calling on his bigger mates so that he is untouchable. That’s the kind of bitchery I’m talking about. If he insults you, you either leave, or apologise. Because if you dare defend yourself you’ll get more of the same, and if you respond in kind then YOU are the aggressive problem and are banned by the big man himself. Pathetic.

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

NoR is one of the reasons I stopped bothering with reading Pharyngula much any more (well, there were other reasons; Salty Droid's rather eye-opening posts on Myers caused me to take a serious re-evaluation of PZ's Playpen and Sirkus of Smirky 'Skeptuality' in a major way); but I have to say, the major league nastiness of commenters such as Nerd and Caine, Femme du Some Damn Pretentious Faux Frog Thing or Another were good reasons to start avoiding the site.

What is actually up with this guy, anyway? Is he really a scientist, or just some noisy poseur?

IMO, he sounds like some bitter, burned-out highschool sciences teacher, PO'd with the world because he was never able to do better in his chosen profession.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

curious lurker wrote: What is actually up with this guy, anyway? Is he really a scientist, or just some noisy poseur?
I remember reading somewhere that NorR claimed that water is an organic compound. Then again, he could be a scientist of such skill and renown that he's discovered that water molecules contain a carbon element which nobody like evah before knew existed.

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

Tigzy, LOL. I remember reading a bit of the 'water as organic compound' fracas...I'm about as far from claiming to possess much scientific knowledge as they come, but that had even me laughing.

Then again, you may be on to something--could be NoR has made this amazing discovery, and the only peple he can get to pay any attention are the likes of PZ and his commentariat. I guess that would explain some of the Nerd's rancor. Imagine the frustration level of only being able to get the attention of the chronically stupid.

Then again, I'd imagine Myers must be pretty familiar with that feeling himself, these days...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Maybe NorR is actually Garth Marenghi: http://www.garthmarenghi.com/books/ooze.htm
Quote: 'All the water's dead. All of it. And the taps don't work either.'

With this chilling pronouncement, Mandy Weaver tells the surviving population of Luton that they're going to have to (literally) pool their own saliva. Characteristically ahead of his time, Marenghi tackles the question of what we're doing to our planets natural resources with the frenzied fervour of a writer at the peak of his own particular capabilities.

Marenghi: 'I've always been concerned by the environment. Even now, I'll try and recycle cans.'

TAGLINE: Can water die?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

It's on the original Table of Swearing thread, and I think I also posted the link somewhere way up on the latest version here.

Yes, Nerd of Redhead is almost certainly a sort-of real chemist. But he's around 60 years old, and still works overnight shifts in an HPLC lab (by his own admission). He spends half of all his posts telling the world he is a real scientist. This is like claiming to have spent one's life as a politician, and then revealing that you are about to retire having reached the lofty position of "Deputy Assistant to the Secretary of Highways Maintenance (Division of Litter Collection), Butthole, Iowa).

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

So I guess my initial idea that the nerd is some bitter, time-serving schoolteacher type wasn't that far off, after all.

Frankly, not surprised...honestly, one of my earliest critical thoughts with regard to the comments on Pharyngula was to wonder if the majority percentage of the people posting there were actually some of Myers' students. The tone, tenor, and gegeral immaturity level of the remarks there suggest more a lot of young wannabe snarkers than actual adults engaged in the scientific profession. Granted, the term 'professional' when applied to a worker in any given field doesn't necessarily denote their overall personality--there are many 'professional' people who can be amazingly bloody childish--but I'd shudder to think that the Pharynguloids really do represent any appreciable segment of the professional sciences population.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

They are extremely hateful and hostile. They also engage in victim blaming, which is ironic in the extreme. They dogpile people, then blame the person getting dogpiled for his own situation.

Funny stuff.

The sad thing is, I do support them philosophically. However, I cannot and will not support such immature, abusive behaviour. Such behaviour will indeed scare off the moderates.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

I guess these fit in this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/HrLfCHs.jpg

Background info: Some Pharyngula commenters objected to NoR's use of 'POOF', as they believed this could be considered homophobic. It was then collectively decided that 'FLOOSH' was an acceptable alternative. Such are the pressing problems the Commentariat concern themselves with.

http://i.imgur.com/amk2sSz.jpg

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Some Pharyngula commenters objected to NoR's use of 'POOF', as they believed this could be considered homophobic.
Wait, wait, wait. No. No way.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Percentage wrote:
Some Pharyngula commenters objected to NoR's use of 'POOF', as they believed this could be considered homophobic.
Wait, wait, wait. No. No way.
Hah, you think I'm joking?
You know, some folks don’t like “*POOF*”?

It’s harsh Brit slang for gay men.

Please don’t use it. Thanks!

*grinds* *teeth*
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-544705

windy

Post by windy »

Jan Steen wrote: Hah, you think I'm joking?
You know, some folks don’t like “*POOF*”?

It’s harsh Brit slang for gay men.

Please don’t use it. Thanks!

*grinds* *teeth*
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-544705
It appears cm was making a point about excessive language-policing with that comment. It was nevertheless taken seriously by some. I think. Fucking Poe's Law, how does it work?
For the record, I’m not actually saying that “poof” (particularly *poof*) should be verboten. As far as I can tell no-one has ever taken offense over that meaning. If you ban the use of all words that could, potentially, have been used as insults anywhere and everywhere in the world, you don’t have many left.
well said...

BTW, I kind of miss Nerd and his antics, reminds me of a time when most other commenters there weren't behaving like bots :shifty:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

windy wrote: It appears cm was making a point about excessive language-policing with that comment. It was nevertheless taken seriously by some. I think.
It was definitely taken seriously by the Nerd, for one.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Nerd of Redhead’s monotonous drivel even starts to irritate his fellow zealots:
Beatrice (looking for a happy thought)
26 March 2013 at 1:29 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Confession:
Nerd’s “who cares about your OPINION” “that is just your opinion *floosh*” and all the varieties are kinda annoying.
Sorry, Nerd of Redhead!
(I’m skimming the Ars Techinca thread, and I noticed I’ve started skipping Nerd’s comments since they are same old same old anyway. Sorry, Nerd!)
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-589257

Since this is a regular, Nerd can’t very well respond by *flooshing* this OPINION down the sewer. So he writes as follows:
Beatrice, The guy was a serial poster essentially not reading or comprehending the arguments against him. He thought by being extra slippery and extra stubborn he would win the argument. So, I just made sure anybody reading the thread would understand he wasn’t saying anything backed up by facts, just throwing out shit and arguments at random to keep talking, hoping something would stick. The fact that I kept dismissing what he said was a big insult. His poor ego deflates when he isn’t taken seriously.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-589361

Not a convincing defence, as the Nerd always treats both serial and non-serial posters in his inimitable stereotypical fashion (He is anything but inimitable, in fact. If he wanted to take a break, any number of people could replace him and nobody would be able to tell the difference).

Another critic:
Azkyroth Drinked the Grammar Too :)
29 March 2013 at 9:43 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Thoughtcrime, I see what you’re saying. Please understand that people here have dealt with a LOT of the “no true _”/”it’s not ALL bad” stuff, and also a lot of the “I’m not a _ but…” stuff. Also, Nerd, despite other good traits, has this weird fetish for selectively and summarily dismissing certain statements as “OPINION” and therefore worthless because…well, just because. I guess it’s his opinion. Don’t read too much into it.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-593039

Apart from one commenter weakly defending NoR by pointing out that his adversary was being repetitive too, nobody rushes in to offer safe hugs to the Nerd for being so painfully stabbed in the back. Nobody likes the guy, but he is part of the furniture. He's like a hideous, cracked leather sofa that is too big to be easily disposed of.

This concludes my fieldwork in Pharyngula territory for today. It always feels like visiting a parallel universe, but to me that is part of the fascination of it. Apart from the lulz, of course.

Jimmy Russel

Post by Jimmy Russel »

I've been thinking about this, and I thought I had coined a new term "Cargo Cult Skepticism".

I decided to Google it first, it seems it has been used before, here
...cargo cult skepticism, where you use the lingo of skepticism (logical fallacy spotting etc), without actually being rational or skeptical, and just wanting yourself to, after a while of this, be skeptical by default, as it were.

Oh well.

ET Smash

Post by ET Smash »

Fucking hate the mega asshat Nerd of Redhead. One of if not the most annoy poster on PissyMyers blog.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Jan Steen wrote:Nerd of Redhead crashes spectacularly on Pharyngula.

He is arguing with a poster called Coelsblog and some others about Evolutionary Psychology. Never mind the arguments; this is vintage Nerd of Redhead:
Citations needed for such a sweeping generalization….
(...)
Nothing cogent said, don’t be truly scientific and rigorous. Which your ideas aren’t.
(...)
Do you care to demonstrate which genes and what are the effects of those genes specifically, with a hand-waving generalization? That is what MRA fuckwits do. Hand-wave that evidence, and won’t show it makes a real difference in being able to be a productive human.
(...)
Which is the point of people like me. You claim a genetic component? Either demonstrate it or shut the fuck up about it. That is science. Sweeping generalizations are for armchair mental wankers, incapable of doing real science, that ties what they claim with real physical (genetic) evidence.
(...)
Then it’s up to you to produce the evidence that this is the case. SHOW ME YOUR EVIDENCE….
(...)
No, you are interested in pontificating bullshit, not showing evidence like a scientist.
(...)
Why aren’t you citing the literature, instead of making sweeping statements. You like the bullshit EP allows….not the tightness required by science….
(...)
Your concept everything is hard wired by genetics is refuted even by Wiki. You should be ashamed of yourself for being such an asshole.
(...)
Arguments from “authority” are not persuasive science. They are typical from godbots and creationist though….
(...)
Why Colesblog, are you afraid to cite literature? Are you nothing but a sophist?
(...)
Same type of presuppositional stupidity….
(...)
Where is any citation to the peer reviewed scientific literature for your inane claims? Funny how EP folks are long on attitude, short on citations. Which is PZ’s point. Either pony up the evidence, not the “possibilities”, or shut the fuck up…
(...)
Why are you being such an evidenceless obtuse asshole is a more appropriate question. Get your act together. Either evidence your claims, or shut the fuck up.
(...)
Troll, you are the one posting for effect, not discussing with evidence your claims. Shut the fuck up on the troll, troll.
(...)
How is it sound? You showed no evidence. Made unevidenced claims, which are dismissed without evidence. Try real evidence, or shut the fuck up.
(...)
Citation needed. PZ does legitimate criticism…
(...)
Gee, you used an “argument from authority”, a typical creationist tactic. Hypocrite.
(...)
Without you citing something yes. Doubt everything, including your own generalizations. They might be wrong. And usually are. Which is PZ’s point. Do real science, not hand-waving.
(...)
Keep lying to yourself like any creationist does. Still generalizations not cited evidence.
(...)
What is your problem that you must argue for bad unrigorous science.
(...)
Gee, an unevidenced assertion about science. DISMISSED WITHOUT EVIDENCE.
Try again, and realize I’m a professional scientist.
(...)
What I mean you provide a citation to the peer reviewed scientific literture showing your inane and wrong presuppositions are correct. Your failure to provide such a citation is prima facie evidence of your lying, bullshitting, and posturing, typical of creationists. What a fuckwitted idjit who doesn’t understand science.
(...)
Compared to your pathetic presuppositions, posturing, and lack of EVIDENCE? Grow up. Science doesn’t give a shit about your OPINION. Just what EVIDENCE you and your buddies supply which is nothing but bullshit.
(...)
Citation needed. Your unsupported word is dismissed as fuckwittery. That is how SCIENCE operates. You put or you shut the fuck up. If you can’t/won’t put up, and can’t/won’t shut up, prima facie evidence you are nothing but a liar and bullshitter.
(...)
I take your unevidenced word for bullshit and dismiss it. Welcome to science.
(...)
Cricket, I’ve been practicing science as a professional for 35+years. What is your explaination (there is no excuse) for you fuckwitted and utterly unscientific attitude?
(...)
And you are an utterly pathetic fuckwitted idjit, and you are no scientist.. Just somebody with a Dunning-Kruger problem who thinks, but they aren’t, competent. In case you are interested, that is what is called a citation. I took my argument to third party evidence to show I know what I talk about. Unlike you and your EP fanboys. WHERE ARE YOUR LINKS TO REAL EVIDENCE….
(...)
Citation needed, your unevidenced word is dismissed per Christopher Hitchens (top quote).
(...)
Your UNEVIDENCED WORD IS DISMISSED WITHOUT EVIDENCE.
(...)
My guess is that Tom Adams is either a denizen of the ‘pit or a sympathizer. The super-ignorant and super-arrogant attitude is reminiscent of their blather.
(...)
Who the fuck cares what you idiotlogical position is? It is irrational and unscientific.
(...)
You have notrhing to say about how science is done. Science ignores your OPINION. You aren’t acting like a scientist.
(...)
The real fun starts when Coelsblog asks:
You’ve brought up your scentific credentials in this thread, out of interest what field are you in, what is your job description?
Nerd of Redhead replies:
I presented mine. What are yours?
Coelsblog:
Yes, you’ve said you’re a professional scientists of many years’ standing. I was interested in your field and job description. (By the way, I’ve not made an issue of my credentials, whereas you did.)
Nerd of Redhead:
Doesn’t matter, what are you SCIENTIFIC credential. When people question mine without showing theirs, prima facie evidence for liars and bullshitters.
Coelsblog:
Fine, don’t answer, no probs. I only asked because *you* had brought up your credentials as relevant.
Nerd of Redhead:
Actually it is YOUR credentials that are relevant. I don’t think you have any. Nothing but hot air. Typical.
Of course, Nerd of Redhead is too dumb to try to find out who Coelsblog is. If he had done so, he would have learned that his interlocutor is in fact a professor of astrophysics. :lol:

See: http://coelsblog.wordpress.com/about/

At this point, even Nerd of Redhead’s god PZ can't take it anymore. Unlike his chest-beating sycophant, PZ probably did check who Coelsblog was and realised that Nerd of Redhead was dragging the reputation of Pharyngula as a scientific blog even deeper into the mud than it already is.

http://i.imgur.com/8ndtpQi.jpg

Will Nerd of Redhead survive this devastating blow? :popcorn:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

The crazed lunatic calls Shermer a "known rapist", among other lulz:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... ee67d5.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ET Smash

Post by ET Smash »

Seriously who is this asshole? Keeps calling himself a scientist but never backs it up with credentials, yet DEMANDS it from everyone else.

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

I know it's in all probability not the case, but I've sometimes wondered if the Nerd is a sock of Myers.

Highly doubtful, but kind of amusing to contemplate all the same.

The "water is an organic compound" trope made me wonder a little bit. Myers, for all I know, may excel in his own specialized field (the available evidence wouldn't seem to suggest this, but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt) but I have the feeling that outside of his narrow specialized boundaries, he's something of a sloppy thinker, and [could/i] make a sloppy/stupid remark like that.

Again, likely he's not, but...

ET Smash

Post by ET Smash »

curious lurker,

I wouldn't put it past him to stoop that low. Like you I kind of doubt it is him but fuck all I hate that asshole/bitch behind the handle "Nerd of Redhead".

I swear to you a punch in the nose might slow their roll. I mean just a little physical pain so they MIGHT THINK "Hey maybe I'm not helping the situation... Oh and I am being kind of a cunt too."

first atheist

Post by first atheist »

curious lurker wrote:I know it's in all probability not the case, but I've sometimes wondered if the Nerd is a sock of Myers.

Highly doubtful, but kind of amusing to contemplate all the same.

The "water is an organic compound" trope made me wonder a little bit. Myers, for all I know, may excel in his own specialized field (the available evidence wouldn't seem to suggest this, but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt) but I have the feeling that outside of his narrow specialized boundaries, he's something of a sloppy thinker, and [could/i] make a sloppy/stupid remark like that.

Again, likely he's not, but...

Just to clear up any doubt you may have had about Meyers prestige in the field of Developmental Biology: he is an unremarkable Biologist. You can google scholar him to look at his publication record. His top cited paper is now 20 years old and has recieved a little over 400 citations (Stachel, Scott E., David J. Grunwald, and Paul Z. Myers. "Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pregastrula zebrafish." Development 117.4 (1993): 1261-1274.). For someone who earned their Phd in Biology almost 40 years ago, his publication record is almost non existant. He teaches at a non-research liberal arts college in some back-water town of Minnesota. He's a legitmate academic and has done legitimate work in the field of devolopmental biology, but all very unremarkable.

ET Smash

Post by ET Smash »

Can't argue against facts....... Thank you for the 411 on Pz and his clout... Or lack there of.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I love this!

Nerd shows his true side. I bet that fucker beats the shit out of his wife if his potatoes are underdone.

http://i.imgur.com/0BY7Ak3.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-711229
http://i.imgur.com/hUfZn0v.jpg

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

curious lurker wrote:I know it's in all probability not the case, but I've sometimes wondered if the Nerd is a sock of Myers.
I used to read Pharyngula regularly and write comments there, and while this one never crossed my mind, I did often wonder if he was intentionally trying to sabotage the place. One of the things that made it difficult to take them seriously, was the fact that Myers would be busy banning anyone whose ideas he didn't like on the grounds of "stupidity" and "inanity", while nerd would be busy pounding out 50 nearly identical comments full of infantile bullshit per 200 comment thread.

I refuse to believe that nerd is any kind of scientist. He claims he has a PhD in chemistry, but I can tell you from experience that you do not get through chemistry classes by scribbling "NEEDS PERR REEVIEW CITATION! Stop with your MEpinion! FLOOSH!" all over your exam paper, and that crap doesn't cut it in a dissertation either. "Professional Scientist" probably means he is a product tester at the ball-gag factory, because I'm not sure how he would be tolerable in any other capacity.

Maybe nerd is actually david mabus pretending to be an atheist. That would make a lot of sense actually.

ET Smash

Post by ET Smash »

Fucking PZ blocked me out for commenting on a Louis CK thing he posted.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... y-courage/

@ 48,

YT comments are scary? You must be joking or you are the most thin skinned person on the internet. Can they be rude, crud, threatening, funny and even informative? YEAH!

The fact that women should have, universally, equal rights... EQUAL RIGHTS to men is moot point. Are the people, men and some seriously misguided women, that don't think so? Yes. Are there also people on the net that simply want to to spin thin-skinned people up by troll flaming? Yes. I believe you have on on this blog, that Nerdy Redhead that never seems to contribute to any conversation but drops its stupid catch phrases nonstop. I mean Nerd called me out for trolling( #45) this blog post and last time I checked disagreeing with someone and then voicing said disagreement is not trolling. Internet trolling, is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community. I simply disagree with PZ Myers stance on comment blocking on YT.

If you actually think I condone or encourage violence toward women or any other HUMAN being then you are sadly mistaken. Until the day comes when people can't hid who they are on the internet the smack talk will continue and yes people will disagree with your points of view from time to time.

~ Eric Youngstrom
Naval Base Ventura County Point Mugu CA.

I have no fear from you or others and I would talk to you and anyone else the same way that I do on the internet. Maybe I am a rarity but I don't need to hide behind a keyboard, I'll tell you straight to your face I disagree or I think that you or your POV is wrong.

The fucking asshat! I really am thinking Nerd is a PZ sockpuppet account.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Some of us have wondered what Nerd of Redhead really looks like. I once pictured him as a kind of deranged Mussolini (who himself was already deranged, making Nerd deranged squared).

Turns out I was not too far off.
Nerd of Redhead, Dances OM Trolls wrote:
2 February 2014 at 3:41 pm (UTC -6) Link to this comment

Nich #360 about the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman
A little hair dye and you totally had the lead role cast for Pharyngula the Movie
I see the resemblance to PZ. Personally, the Nerd should be played by Ed Asner, and the Redhead by Amy Adams. If AA isn’t available, Vickie Howell the Knitster.

Interesting question, who should play you in Pharyngula the Movie?
So, Nerd looks more or less like this:

http://i.imgur.com/PFsyIDy.jpg