Greetings, Slyme Pit

Double wank and shit chips
HoneyWagon

Re: Greetings, Slyme Pit

Post by HoneyWagon »

Fpppttt
Looks like I got up before noon (PST) on a Saturday for NOTHING!

But I hope next week works out. I would love as many interested pitters to participate as possible.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sargon of Akkad wrote: I'm too busy to have to confirm and double-confirm after we have agreed a time/date. 9pm GMT 13/02/2016.

Too busy to reach out to people who are doing your show for free. A show you make money on.

Wow.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

What will the link BE btw? This is his livestream channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6cMYs ... FcFm7mTsmA

I want to be able to post it ahead of time

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

HoneyWagon wrote:What will the link BE btw? This is his livestream channel

The link he PM's to participants will be for them to join the hangout (sharing their audio & video input, with option to mute either audio or visual*). The view-only, where the hoi polloi will watch the live stream of their conference call & where it'll then be posted for posterity, will have a different url at his live stream youtube channel.

(Anyone feel free to correct any details I got wrong)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

the * was supposed to be:

*but then what's the point of being in the hangout

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Oh, gah. Ignore the *. It was for "or both*" (muting both audio & video) but apparently I took that part out.

I blame Spike's phone!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote:

The link he PM's to participants will be for them to join the hangout (sharing their audio & video input, with option to mute either audio or visual*). The view-only, where the hoi polloi will watch the live stream of their conference call & where it'll then be posted for posterity, will have a different url at his live stream youtube channel.

That's pretty much it. There are two urls one that people can join and one for watch only.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Sargon, you do the Slymepit wrong ;)

How it Works

The Slymepit is essentially one endless meta-comment thread in Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread. For convenience and performance reason one endless thread is sometimes closed and a fresh one is opened, but the content just goes on in a stream-of-conciousness fashion. What you normally do: you go to the Slymepit, hit the tiny page icon under "Last post" in the first forum row (Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread) and you're where the action is. Think live-stream.

Most people seem to read from where they were the last time, and play catch-up. If it's hopeless and too many pages were produced in the meantime, you may also skip. Nobody reads everything. There is a kind of quoting-natural-selection going on. Stuff that's quoted and commented upon stays fresh for longer. Other stuff is just washed away. There are usually 2-3 discussions in parallel. Juxtaposition of things is part of the fun.

The forum is almost unmoderated. Illegal things, and doxing is strictly verboten. It's also accepted practice that users keep the hygiene for their own experience by using the ignore function. You anyway ignore things that don't seem interesting at a glance, for which you get a hang of after a while.

Newbies and other questionable characters occasionally open other threads somewhere else, which get ignored by almost everyone. Some of them are halfway disorganized attempts of collecting information that we find useful, e.g. the SJW media thread. There's metagtons of material, but in our nefarious ways and as super villains of the atheist-skeptics movement, we haven't gotten around and turn most of it into nukes for the most part. I think you and Internet Aristocat/Mr Metokur are still beginners in the SJW ways, but you're catching up. It's interesting to see other people notice similar patterns.

Steersman is a contrarian bot we currently test in the forum. He still has some bugs and a couple of rather ecccentric ideas he always brings up, such as his non-standard take on slurs even our resident linguists and other academics call into question. Repetitive topics few people find interesting enough are also outsourced to special threads, to prevent that they take over the Endless Thread. There are also a million and one memes, catch phrases and other jargon you get after a while. :bjarte:

Also, nobody represents the Slymepit. We disagree on many things and are proud of it. If there's one thing, the people here seem to respect and like each other for other reasons than claptrap comments that are agreeable. The one thing you can't be here is being an unfunny idiot. We even treat the more eccentric individuals well, if they don't overdo it too much. It's also the only place where you can see e.g. shitposting and sophisticated discussions about DNA sequencing or whatever sciencey topics side by side. But what do you expect when the original gang found endogenous retrovirus (ERV) an interesting subject?

A Short History

There was Elevatorgate. Which was the CFI Talk. Not whatever else people tell you, or claim on Wikipedia. This is essentially the "gamers are dead, and atheists are misogynists pigs anyway" moment.

PZ Myers sided with Watson (as he wont to do), Abbie Smith (ERV) however had her own idea. Since PZ Myers and Rebecca Watson are SJWs, you can't disagree in the vicinity of SJ topics. The disagreement originally was about form, not so much what she said, i.e. not content, but SJWs would have none of it.

Before he moved to FTB, PZ Myers comment section used to be also on ScienceBlogs, and the communities had a lot of overlap between Pharyngula (PZs) and Abbie's (ERV). Watson's CFI talk was polarising. The SJWs would gravitate towards PZ's side, and he then also moderated discussions. And the people critical of them would move over to ERVs. Broadsides were fired and Abbie had the smaller ship, and sank. PZ Myers called people he didn't like "slime" and ERV's endless thread was thus named the "slime pit" by him. The good feminists, who wanted to make the movement more friendly to women also blackballed Abbie eventually. But you know, SJWs and irony (or hypocrisy). He then projected his women-issues onto everyone else and claimed people had a problem with the uppity woman Rebecca Watson -- as if that was the problem. Long story short, the Endless Thread moved (AFAIK after bullying from Myers' gang) to its own place, and embraced the name given by PZ. That's this place.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

HoneyWagon wrote:Fpppttt
Looks like I got up before noon (PST) on a Saturday for NOTHING!
But I hope next week works out.
I am pretty sure that it will. Now that people know how Sargon operates there won't be any 2nd guessing going on.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Skep tickle wrote:

Yeah, I will not be participating, but part of the hoi polloi.
So, will the link appear on the main page live stream channel after he creates the hangout?
I just don't want to miss any of the goings on!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

HoneyWagon wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:

So, will the link appear on the main page live stream channel after he creates the hangout?

Yup pretty much. You can even set it up so that the link appears before the show starts.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

HoneyWagon wrote:

For watchers - the livestream will look like a regular youtube video, but with a chat window alongside.

If you joined 15 minutes late - they would be in mid conversation - but you could click back and start it from the beginning (However, if you did this the chat window would be out of sync).

Afterwards, the livestream will be uploaded as a normal youtube video to the channel. As far as I know the chat logs are not saved (and they are typically filled with spam / shit-posting anyway).

Others have suggested 3rd party software for the Slymepitters to do their own chat in - or maybe just have a forum here where people could live post during the chat.

Anyway people have a week to think about it.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Btw, my website has a dedicated Slyme Pit chatroom. Hasn't been used much, but it's there. (video and/or text chat).

Sargon of Akkad

Post by Sargon of Akkad »

comhcinc wrote:
Sargon of Akkad wrote: I'm too busy to have to confirm and double-confirm after we have agreed a time/date. 9pm GMT 13/02/2016.

Too busy to reach out to people who are doing your show for free. A show you make money on.

Wow.
Yes, this is exactly how it works and exactly how you will accept it if you want this to happen.

Does anyone else have any questions?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sargon of Akkad wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Wow.
Yes, this is exactly how it works and exactly how you will accept it if you want this to happen.

Nah hoss, you just keep doing what you are doing.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Apologies if Ive contibuted to the stuff up. Basically I was ready to go into the office at 7.30 am on a Sunday as home is not a great environment. Thats a 6.30am wakeup with required discussion the previous day.

I wanted a clear green light before ploughing that field. At midnight it still wasn't clear so I hit the sack.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Sargon of Akkad wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Wow.

Nevermind. Com is pissy today (and a wrestling fan to boot).

Do your stuff, and anybody willing to help will help.

In my own personal opinion, it's a good thing that you take some interest in the Pit, even if it comes a bit late. And if you can make a bit of cash out of this meetup, all the better.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Nevermind. Com is pissy today (and a wrestling fan to boot).
Choose your response.

Nevermind Phil is French.

Or

I am in a good mood today mostly because I got to watch some old wrestling.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I will admit that I miss the good ol' wrestling matches.

One of my producers is a big fan, and while at his place back in 2009, he had me watch about 4 hours of the Undertaker's matches. I almost didn't fall asleep.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Sargon of Akkad wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Wow.

Just ignore Com. He's being a chronic asshole these days. Some of us are very much looking forward to your Pit livestream.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Scented Nectar wrote: Just ignore Com. He's being a chronic asshole these days. Some of us are very much looking forward to your Pit livestream.

Just ignore Scented Nectar. She's being a white knighting bitch these days.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Just ignore me.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I was trying not to derail this phil but hey I can talk old wrestling to the cows come home.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Nevermind. Com is pissy today (and a wrestling fan to boot).
Com has been pissy for the past several days. I would ask him why, but he has already told me to block him.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sargon of Akkad wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Wow.

Don't worby about Ol' Com: he's just bucking to take over being the Official Slyme Pit Cunt from Steerzo. They're both argumentative as fuck just for the sake of it.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Aneris wrote:Sargon, you do the Slymepit wrong ;)

How it Works

The Slymepit is essentially one endless meta-comment thread in Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread. For convenience and performance reason one endless thread is sometimes closed and a fresh one is opened, but the content just goes on in a stream-of-conciousness fashion. What you normally do: you go to the Slymepit, hit the tiny page icon under "Last post" in the first forum row (Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread) and you're where the action is. Think live-stream.

Most people seem to read from where they were the last time, and play catch-up. If it's hopeless and too many pages were produced in the meantime, you may also skip. Nobody reads everything. There is a kind of quoting-natural-selection going on. Stuff that's quoted and commented upon stays fresh for longer. Other stuff is just washed away. There are usually 2-3 discussions in parallel. Juxtaposition of things is part of the fun.

The forum is almost unmoderated. Illegal things, and doxing is strictly verboten. It's also accepted practice that users keep the hygiene for their own experience by using the ignore function. You anyway ignore things that don't seem interesting at a glance, for which you get a hang of after a while.

Newbies and other questionable characters occasionally open other threads somewhere else, which get ignored by almost everyone. Some of them are halfway disorganized attempts of collecting information that we find useful, e.g. the SJW media thread. There's metagtons of material, but in our nefarious ways and as super villains of the atheist-skeptics movement, we haven't gotten around and turn most of it into nukes for the most part. I think you and Internet Aristocat/Mr Metokur are still beginners in the SJW ways, but you're catching up. It's interesting to see other people notice similar patterns.

Steersman is a contrarian bot we currently test in the forum. He still has some bugs and a couple of rather ecccentric ideas he always brings up, such as his non-standard take on slurs even our resident linguists and other academics call into question. Repetitive topics few people find interesting enough are also outsourced to special threads, to prevent that they take over the Endless Thread. There are also a million and one memes, catch phrases and other jargon you get after a while. :bjarte:

Also, nobody represents the Slymepit. We disagree on many things and are proud of it. If there's one thing, the people here seem to respect and like each other for other reasons than claptrap comments that are agreeable. The one thing you can't be here is being an unfunny idiot. We even treat the more eccentric individuals well, if they don't overdo it too much. It's also the only place where you can see e.g. shitposting and sophisticated discussions about DNA sequencing or whatever sciencey topics side by side. But what do you expect when the original gang found endogenous retrovirus (ERV) an interesting subject?

A Short History

There was Elevatorgate. Which was the CFI Talk. Not whatever else people tell you, or claim on Wikipedia. This is essentially the "gamers are dead, and atheists are misogynists pigs anyway" moment.

PZ Myers sided with Watson (as he wont to do), Abbie Smith (ERV) however had her own idea. Since PZ Myers and Rebecca Watson are SJWs, you can't disagree in the vicinity of SJ topics. The disagreement originally was about form, not so much what she said, i.e. not content, but SJWs would have none of it.

Before he moved to FTB, PZ Myers comment section used to be also on ScienceBlogs, and the communities had a lot of overlap between Pharyngula (PZs) and Abbie's (ERV). Watson's CFI talk was polarising. The SJWs would gravitate towards PZ's side, and he then also moderated discussions. And the people critical of them would move over to ERVs. Broadsides were fired and Abbie had the smaller ship, and sank. PZ Myers called people he didn't like "slime" and ERV's endless thread was thus named the "slime pit" by him. The good feminists, who wanted to make the movement more friendly to women also blackballed Abbie eventually. But you know, SJWs and irony (or hypocrisy). He then projected his women-issues onto everyone else and claimed people had a problem with the uppity woman Rebecca Watson -- as if that was the problem. Long story short, the Endless Thread moved (AFAIK after bullying from Myers' gang) to its own place, and embraced the name given by PZ. That's this place.
tl,dr

Couch

Post by Couch »

Scented Nectar wrote:I was looking forward to this today. :cry: :crying-yellow: :crying-blue: :crying-green:
Suck it up ya big cute crybaby!

Couch

Post by Couch »

Aneris wrote:
Sargon, you do the Slymepit wrong ;)

...Snip...

Nobody reads everything.
:shock:

Couch

Post by Couch »

deLurch wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Nevermind. Com is pissy today (and a wrestling fan to boot).
Com has been pissy for the past several days. I would ask him why, but he has already told me to block him.
Com, by any objective measure you've been a massive grump for the last fortnight. At least own it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote: Com, by any objective measure you've been a massive grump for the last fortnight. At least own it.

Yeah I did. Days ago. I never not owned it.

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:
Couch wrote: Com, by any objective measure you've been a massive grump for the last fortnight. At least own it.

Yeah I did. Days ago. I never not owned it.
I suppose you did. :shifty:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Couch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I was looking forward to this today. :cry: :crying-yellow: :crying-blue: :crying-green:
Suck it up ya big cute crybaby!
Well, ok, as long as I'm cute. :shifty:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
Sargon of Akkad wrote:That's fine but please be ready everyone. I'm too busy to have to confirm and double-confirm after we have agreed a time/date. 9pm GMT 13/02/2016.
Sounds good. I can confirm this now.

As a Septic, I'm converting your date to 2016-02-13.

Brive1987, ERV, Kirbmarc, rayshul - please also confirm.

SofA - are you happy with five people or should we do fewer?

Also, what is the mechanism for joining the live stream? I've never done this before.
OK, I'm now deconfirming this - I will be airborne at this time. Folks can go ahead without me or we will need to reschedule.

Apologies.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:Apologies.
I think we have plenty of good candidates to talk, and we shouldn't reschedule a 2nd time. Lsuoma is great. But it isn't as if we lack many great voices.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I am almost definitely in as I have found a 24 hour internet cafe!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Oh hey as I'm GMT +13 does this mean it 8am Sunday morning for me?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

rayshul wrote:Oh hey as I'm GMT +13 does this mean it 8am Sunday morning for me?
Yes - that is exactly what it means (though you don't have to take my word for it - there was a link to a website giving time-zone translations earlier in the web).

Also by asking this you are semi-doxxing your location.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

*thread! (damn it)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ok so 9pm GMT 13/02/2016.

Rayshul, Kirbmarc and Me + Damion

There were gaps. They remain unfilled. It would be great if ERV was there!

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

MarcusAu wrote:
rayshul wrote:Oh hey as I'm GMT +13 does this mean it 8am Sunday morning for me?
Yes - that is exactly what it means (though you don't have to take my word for it - there was a link to a website giving time-zone translations earlier in the web).

Here's a new link showing the time of the Sargon/Pit livestream.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... T21&p1=769

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:

Here's a new link showing the time of the Sargon/Pit livestream.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... T21&p1=769

And here's a link to Sargon's Livesrtream page.

Click on the "All activities" menu, and select "Live streams"

Click on the "All activities" menu, and select "Live streams"

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Hey c'mon more people should get into this!!!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Brive1987 wrote:Ok so 9pm GMT 13/02/2016.

Um. I'm NOT happy with Damion doing this. He has repeatedly tried to speak out of both sides of his mouth at the same time.

Please make sure he doesn't do this.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

He is still a Slymepitter though. And the fact we have people who do act as devil's advocate is possibly a good thing in showing our views do not coincide - the "no one speaks for the pit" can't be any clearer when we have people who speak in opposition to each other.

I will however acquiesce to the desires of our fascist leader - Dam10n?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

In this case we really can't say "no one speaks for the pit" because
Sargon of Akkad wrote:if you guys could agree on some kind of delegation that I can host on my channel to interview
People are literally being asked and agreeing to speak for the pit.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

comhcinc wrote:In this case we really can't say "no one speaks for the pit" because
Sargon of Akkad wrote:if you guys could agree on some kind of delegation that I can host on my channel to interview
Aw shit but I'm a muppet.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Why?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

comhcinc wrote:In this case we really can't say "no one speaks for the pit" because
Bollocks. Pitters are being asked to talk about their lived experiences of the Pit and the Great Rift War.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Bollocks. Pitters are being asked to talk about their lived experiences of the Pit and the Great Rift War.

The original request was as follows:

"I'm interested in doing a livestream with some of the veteran members of the Slyme Pit. I'd like to know how and why Slyme Pit exists and what happened leading up to it in the atheist community.
I think it'd be useful for people outside of the community to know what happened, so if you guys could agree on some kind of delegation that I can host on my channel to interview, in a week or so's time, that would be fantastic."

To me that sounds like a request for long term pitters who were around at the start, to discuss the history of the pits inception and what role it continues to play in the atheist community.

That is not speaking "for" the pit.
We each may have preferences as to who is a good historian of the pit or who understands the SJW scene in some detail.
We may also have people in mind that have an anti-slymepit agenda and who we personally feel may have a slant on the pit that makes them non-ideal in that sort of discussion.
For example, both oolon and cunt were slymepit veterans.
Who amongst us would choose them for a panel to explain the slymepit in an impartial way, to people who know nothing about this place.

It is wrong for someone to be foisted into the panel with ZERO discussion beforehand.
It would be better to call off the interview until we can get a group that has some degree of agreement and not one that someone has chosen out of the blue- THAT is what I would call speaking for the pit - and that is wrong.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Well shit folks we're falling apart. ^_^

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

There wasn't exactly an avalanche of volunteers now was there?

In fact the whole thing nearly keeled over with a yawn. My personal pref and expectation was always that Dick would speak to history, we needed a comic, a veteran and a SJ-scientist.

What we ended up with was a small mix of people prepared to (or able to) go on who met some or none of these characteristics.

Go figure.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rayshul wrote:Well shit folks we're falling apart. ^_^
Pit wars. Im sure anyone would step aside for Dick if he so wanted.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Let's not tear ourselves apart over an interview.

We have proposed some sort of voting by counting nominations, and deLurch has tallied up the names of who was been given support, but many people who were nominated weren't available and ultimately it came down to who was willing and available, as it often happens.

This isn't a matter of who is an "official" spokesman/spokeswoman for the Pit, but of who is willing to shoot the breeze and make us known. There have been some people who are no longer able to take part in the hangout and they've been replaced by someone else.

Now if it this is a big deal, we can discuss it further, but we can't pretend that "no one speaks for the Pit" if the idea of Damion being on the hangout is an issue. If we want to propose an "official delegation" of sorts then it's fine, but availability and willingness are still key factors.
Brive1987 wrote:
rayshul wrote:Well shit folks we're falling apart. ^_^
Pit wars. Im sure anyone would step aside for Dick if he so wanted.
Exactly.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sargon of Akkad wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Sargon of Akkad wrote:That's fine but please be ready everyone. I'm too busy to have to confirm and double-confirm after we have agreed a time/date. 9pm GMT 13/02/2016.
Sounds good. I can confirm this now.

Also, what is the mechanism for joining the live stream? I've never done this before.
Great, I'll PM you the link to join the hangout, it's easy.
What sort of account is necessary?

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Brive1987 wrote:
Sargon of Akkad wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Sounds good. I can confirm this now.

Great, I'll PM you the link to join the hangout, it's easy.
What sort of account is necessary?
[youtube]ubrrgV-rSag[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Thanks Bourne.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ha. The Pit is so anarchist, it can't even do a clusterfuck right. (Which for best results, requires a ball pit and Heina Dhadabhoy.)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:

Um. I'm NOT happy with Damion doing this. He has repeatedly tried to speak out of both sides of his mouth at the same time.

Well fuck. If Brive is shooting for a total cluster fuck, I might as well throw my hat in the ring to replace Damion. The only reason I did not volunteer is because I was not nominated.

Remember, Sargon only wanted 2-3 people. We don't have to fill with all of the slots of 4-5 people. In fact Sargon preferred it.

I think Rayshul, Kirbmarc & Brive alone are a good set.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

deLurch wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Well fuck. If Brive is shooting for a total cluster fuck, I might as well throw my hat in the ring to replace Damion. The only reason I did not volunteer is because I was not nominated.

Remember, Sargon only wanted 2-3 people. We don't have to fill with all of the slots of 4-5 people. In fact Sargon preferred it.

I think Rayshul, Kirbmarc & Brive alone are a good set.
Fewer really is better. I've done shows with +6 people and it was kinda a mess.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

[youtube]1SmgLtg1Izw[/youtube]