Hey peeps

Double wank and shit chips
gurugeorge

Hey peeps

Post by gurugeorge »

Hi folks, thanks for the registration.

I'm here because of Sargon's passing mention of this board on his youtube vid re. reactions to the Dawkins thing. I spent a good while last night enjoying old and new posts here.

I'm 57, a musician, rationalist, amateur of philosophy, classical liberal/libertarian (of the anarchist tendency), gamer, nerd lite and an atheist (though I do have a religion I occasionally LARP for fun, and I wholeheartedly agree with Sam Harris on "spirituality").

I'm mainly interested in this board through an interest in Carrier. I've been a minor fan of Carrier for a while (I've enjoyed some of his Youtube lectures and debates, his philosophy book, Proving History and the Christ book). I was vaguely aware of his SJW-ing, but it just seemed like just a foible of some sort, like something you do if you're a nerd desperate to get college chicks, and relatively inconsequential compared to the general quality of his thought (which I still think is very good on the whole). I also always thought he was a bit of a blowhard, but again, that's relatively unimportant in the larger scheme of things.

I used to hang out at FRDB for a while (on the BC&H subforum there) during the later Naughties, and I was vaguely aware that Carrier had been involved with it, and that there had been a kerfuffle of some sort before I arrived there, and then a foofaraw while I was absent for a while that seems to have resulted in FRDB basically dying. I was only peripherally aware of Atheism+ and thought it was a stupid idea. I then discovered FTB and while I was instantly turned off by its connection to Atheism+ but I was pleased to find that Carrier had a blog there. But when the Tim Hunt thing hit, I found myself quite disturbed and disgusted by Carrier's hyena-like reaction to it.

So all this is new to me, but I find it very entertaining. I have a sense that "things" are coming to a head in some way and I have a feeling I want to get more more active, maybe actually make some Youtube vids or something, but I feel I still need to get a sense of things and gather materials. I'll mostly just lurk for a while and learn the ways of the tribe, but I'll probably make the occasional witty or prolix contribution, depending on the state of my humours.

As you were! :popcorn:

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Re: Hey peeps

Post by HunnyBunny »

Welcome, here's a dead Lynx on account of the Atheism + forum having finally died.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tet ... l-2013.jpg

Now I suggest you fuck off and use this this thread on account of everyone here being lazy arses and not really bothering with any other threads.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=472&start=455

When you get there ask Steersman about access to the back channel and the edit button. If you are really nice to him, he might tell you about his problem with women. :whistle:

Robp1956

Post by Robp1956 »

I am also here on the recommendation of Sargon and noticing how well this fits with my world view. I look forward to both reading the posts and in some cases adding my unedited opinion to them. We can't always agree can we, after all this is not an echo chamber like some would want right :-) Thanks for the invite...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Robp1956 wrote:I am also here on the recommendation of Sargon and noticing how well this fits with my world view. I look forward to both reading the posts and in some cases adding my unedited opinion to them.
Unedited? Just click extra hard on the red sticker, your edit button is under it.
Robp1956 wrote:We can't always agree can we, after all this is not an echo chamber like some would want right :-) Thanks for the invite...
I'd like to echo your statement that this is not an echo chamber, and agree with you that we can't always agree.

Here's your lynx, now get yourself over to the Undead Thread (reverse chronology in that list, latest at the top) for some proper Slymepit greetings.

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-pu ... etty-2.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

gurugeorge wrote:Hi folks, thanks for the registration.

<snip>

I'm mainly interested in this board through an interest in Carrier. I've been a minor fan of Carrier for a while (I've enjoyed some of his Youtube lectures and debates, his philosophy book, Proving History and the Christ book). I was vaguely aware of his SJW-ing, but it just seemed like just a foible of some sort, like something you do if you're a nerd desperate to get college chicks, and relatively inconsequential compared to the general quality of his thought (which I still think is very good on the whole). I also always thought he was a bit of a blowhard, but again, that's relatively unimportant in the larger scheme of things.

I used to hang out at FRDB for a while (on the BC&H subforum there) during the later Naughties, and I was vaguely aware that Carrier had been involved with it, and that there had been a kerfuffle of some sort before I arrived there, and then a foofaraw while I was absent for a while that seems to have resulted in FRDB basically dying. I was only peripherally aware of Atheism+ and thought it was a stupid idea. I then discovered FTB and while I was instantly turned off by its connection to Atheism+ but I was pleased to find that Carrier had a blog there. But when the Tim Hunt thing hit, I found myself quite disturbed and disgusted by Carrier's hyena-like reaction to it.

<snip>
Hi gurugeorge,

If you hadn't already been aware of these you might be interested:
- Jan Steen started a thread here about Carrier's academic work
- Carrier posted TMI in a thread at Benson's blog last year, ended up having to apologize; it was rather amusing

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Skep tickle wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:Hi folks, thanks for the registration.

<snip>

<snip>
Hi gurugeorge,

If you hadn't already been aware of these you might be interested:
- Jan Steen started a thread here about Carrier's academic work
- Carrier posted TMI in spooged all over a thread at Benson's blog last year, ended up having to apologize; it was rather amusing
FTFY.

TheSilentSnap

Post by TheSilentSnap »

I'm also here thanks to Sargon. I plan to make a shitty animation mocking feminism, and maybe more if I have the time. Now I'll fuck off.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

HunnyBunny wrote:Welcome, here's a dead Lynx on account of the Atheism + forum having finally died.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tet ... l-2013.jpg

Now I suggest you fuck off and use this this thread on account of everyone here being lazy arses and not really bothering with any other threads.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=472&start=455

When you get there ask Steersman about access to the back channel and the edit button. If you are really nice to him, he might tell you about his problem with women. :whistle:
dead lnyx

I laughed harder at this than I should have, to be perfectly honest. We should make that a thing in the future.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Ignore the stupid comments about the edit button. It does not work, unless you click it rapidly five times.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

gurugeorge wrote:I've been a minor fan of Carrier for a while ....
Are you the one from Poland, or the one from Hong Kong?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Robp1956 wrote:We can't always agree can we, after all this is not an echo chamber like some would want right :-)
Stihl or Husqvarna?

Creativity73

Post by Creativity73 »

Hello, I am happy to have discovered this forum. I am also here having seen that Sargon video :D You must be having an explosion of new people joining. I am a big fan of Sargon's, Thuderf00t's and Noel Plum's videos. Due to my non Political Correctness I drifted off towards some rather cranky neo-Nazi types and BNP etc but I am sick of the circus as really there were too many rabid Christian Identity (ie the Whites are the tribe of Israel) or Odinism or Flat Earth believers or anti-evolution believers - not to mention the chem trails. Anyway I am hoping to find the company of sane people here who want to return to clear thinking and logic.

Creativity73

Post by Creativity73 »

Oh and it may be of interest to note that I am a woman btw!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Creativity73 wrote:Due to my non Political Correctness I drifted off towards some rather cranky neo-Nazi types and BNP etc
Oh and it may be of interest to note that I am a woman btw!
You are most welcome, nazi-bird.

http://i.imgur.com/Yvptma5.jpg

Most welcome.

Creativity73

Post by Creativity73 »

Danke! :)