NS_pin.jpg
(155.16 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

gives us this:

Vax_pin.jpg
(47.02 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

Service Dog

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote: Why do African-Americans insist upon repeating themselves over and over again?
https://media.patriots.win/post/QnQsHaru.png

Keating

Post by Keating »

Za-zen wrote: Anyone cast an eye on the imminent collapse of Afghanistan? 20 years of NATO (someone double check me on that, don't think it was UN) occupation, and the Taliban circus is rolling back into town as the west withdraws. So much to break down in that, we would need to dig out part of the pyt, then make sure it was mortar proofed to discuss it. Good logistical supplies of pickaxes required, as spades don't do shit in that terrain.
What was required was colonialism. If the US were really interested in the long term interest of the people and the country there, they'd have to effectively made it a territory where the laws are imposed from Washington. After a generation of that imposed government, i.e. a generation of children brought up with Western values, it might be possible to grant it independence. However, none of that was ever possible because the West doesn't believe in itself anymore, and have the opposite problem at home, where we have a generation of children brought up with anti-Western values. Plus, colonialism is now a sullied process.

Given the US was never prepared to do that, the invasion was always going to be a waste of time, money and lives. Same reason Iraq was a waste of time, money and lives. Iraq was slightly better off, because, for all his faults, Saddam Hussein's tyrannical dictatorship did do some of what was required by clamping down on religious extremism and other things that made it easier to go towards independence, although it remains to be seen if that ends up better, given Hussein was governing in his interests, not the peoples.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote: Look... you leftist bitches. Pronouns are simply a convenience. They are a way to streamline communication. If they do not streamline communication they are fucking useless. If I have to ask you what your pronouns are then they are not pronouns. Fuck off!
Generally agree. Although pronouns generally work only because there were only two main styles of clothing – pants for the “men”, and skirts for the “women”, though the Scots are generally the odd-man out on that score ... ;) And those two styles exist only because there are two main types of physiology – penis-havers, and vagina-havers. Sort of a case of using the “half-split” method of troubleshooting; a question of making things “simple and fast” as you suggested.

But those pronouns become of limited use when there’s a wider range of clothing styles and increased prevalence of androgynousness. If everyone has a different style of clothing and if there’s no strong correlation between “secondary sexual characteristics” and biological sex then pronouns are largely useless and have to be replaced by proper names – or numbers.
John D wrote: For 20,000 years it was clear that there are two types of humans.... male and female.
Sure. But what shall we mean by those terms? What are the “necessary & sufficient conditions” to qualify as members of those categories?

As mentioned earlier, there’s no intrinsic meaning to either of them – or to any definition for that matter. We could define male & female as having convex or concave mating surfaces as with plumbing and electrical connectors.

The context tends to determine the criteria to qualify as members. But in biology, it’s clearly reproductive abilities while in medical applications or social gatekeeping the issue is more a question of karyotype or genitalia, even if the latter two traits aren’t any part of the standard dictionary (lexical) or biological definitions.
John D wrote: Attaching your "personhood" or your "identify" to a pronoun is a marvelous journey in navel gazing. ...
Somewhat amusing though more disconcerting than not that so many have made the sexes into “immutable identities” based on some mythic essences instead of recognizing that they’re rather transitory states. Been blocked on Twitter by many of the “best” – Kathleen Stock, Helen Joyce, Maya Forstater, and Emma Hilton for examples – for arguing in favour of the latter position; clearly not amused.

You might like quite a good Psychology Today essay that talks to that idea, as well as to a functional definition of the sexes:

PsychologyToday_RobertKing_TerfWars3A.jpg
(122.28 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

"Something is, is what it does."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ogical-sex

BTW, weren’t you planning on developing a board game of sorts? How did that work out? Found fame and fortune? :)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The way Za-zen & Hunt talk about war in Afghanistan -- strikes me like messages from a different time... a time now vanished down the Memory Hole.

I'm not-even saying you guys are Wrong in your analysis. I just question whether the stuff you're talking-about is even a factor in how decisions are actually made, now.

When I look at US politics now-- I don't think Biden stands for anything, except 'getting to be president' and 'getting to experience cool moments' in a manner his mid-wit brain envisions as 'cool'... such-as the time he asked a reporter which news agency he represented. And, finding-out the reporter was with the BBC, Biden blurted-out "I'm Irish!" as-if that were a snappy fuck-you comeback.

Biden gives zero shits about Afghanistan.

I don't think Kamala stands for anything-- except 'getting to be president next'. She wants to stay-away from quagmires like the border & Afghanistan.

Pelosi's longtime role in politics was as a big-money fundraising house-party hostess. Her reign in Congress has mostly been an extension of that role... trading favors with donors. I think she is emotionally-attached to certain causes-- like abortion. But Afghanistan ain't on the list.

So is it possible-- the current regime just Lost Interest in afghanistan? Rumsfeld is dead, Dick Cheney is retired. James Baker is 91. Where's Condoleeza Rice?

Daughter Liz Cheney does care about continuing the neocon Afghanistan gameplan-- except she made the mistake of thinking Trump was disposable-- as-if she could step over Trump's warm corpse with not-even a nod of respect to him... or his supermajority of supporters in her own state.
Za-zen wrote: i just hope to fuck it's for reasons other than "we give up".
What if-- the exit from Afghanistan has nothing-to-do-with Afghanistan, or The Global War On Terror, or anything... EXCEPT it's all-about Trump? Soley bout the domestic-US political horse-race pissing contest.

Trump defied the elite consensus by aligning himself too-closely with Anti-Forever-War public sentiment. I'm not saying his position was heartfelt or something he was willing to expend his political capital on. I'm just saying-- he was off-message for the warmongers.

The Deep State was able to keep Trump from bringing US troops home from Afghanistan & Turkey-Kurd-Syria & more. BUT-- Trump leaving office created an ugly rift: In defeat, he could be seen as the anti-war underdog who was betrayed by the WarPigs. So the Biden crew had to pull-out of Afghanistan to deny Trump the 'Dove' role.

The real aftermath in Afghanistan and the global blowback-- are realities outside their short-sighted tunnel-vision.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sorry-- I meant Keating/ not Hunt.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: This:

Ingsoc_logo.png

plus this:

NS_pin.jpg

gives us this:

Vax_pin.jpg
You vaccinate your horses?

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/manageme ... for-horses

Did they consent? ;)

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Your Portlandia update:

A year long mega "persons experiencing houselessness" camp is going to be cleaned up in three days. They have had every opportunity to not be a violent blight on the town...

It recited how nearly each of the city’s bureaus and county agencies attempted to help manage the park for nearly a year: near-daily outreach efforts, trash cleanup, port-a-potties, and mechanic help from the Portland Bureau of Transportation.

Seriously. Shit in the greenspace of a neighborhood and get city mechanics to fix your car?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I'm not sure a colonial project in Afghanistan was ever going to succeed, though it was tried by the NATO forces, largely under direction of the US. I've come to the conclusion over years, that western democracy isn't something that can be transplanted. Much like surgery, unless the host meets certain prerequisite conditions it will be rejected. (RACISM!)

Culture is a complex beast, and our liberal democracies have evolved slowly over centuries with much blood letting required in which religion was defanged, the values espoused in the French revolution became common, and equal rights under law became the measure of civilisation. And as it is with biology, we are continually evolving, ideally towards that city upon a hill. The process of reform itself may by necessity be chaotic, as power whether physical or philosophical in nature is rarely surrendered without struggle. Without the first world war, would we have seen the collapse of monarchical power in Europe and the extension of participation in government to the female half of the population? Just what weave in our common cultures could be removed from our historical tapestry, without it changing the whole?

I have never been to Afghanistan, though i have been to regions which I consider to have similar characteristics. North Africa for example has the same hybrid of tribal, feudal power systems. Lots of its regions are remote (though it's hard to replicate the particular remote geography that insularises communities that the Afghan mountains do) where outside of population centres people's existence has not materially changed in two thousand years. Stepping out of the European enclave of Melilla and into the State of Morocco, can make that footstep resemble the crossing of an ocean and a century in time. Push into the Rif mountains, and the only difference of matter in a thousand years is your style of hat and your 4X4 instead of a horse.

Our recent attempts of westernising a shithole has i would argue, left us with responsibilities we shouldn't walk away from. Population centres like kabul now have a generation of women and girls who have been given a more liberal western education. Who value individual freedoms, and the choices inherent therein, when i think of them i ask myself, would i trust the fate of my children or our children to the taliban. I'm not going to put a question mark there, as it isn't a question.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Za-zen wrote: <snip>

Our recent attempts of westernising a shithole has i would argue, left us with responsibilities we shouldn't walk away from. Population centres like kabul now have a generation of women and girls who have been given a more liberal western education. Who value individual freedoms, and the choices inherent therein, when i think of them i ask myself, would i trust the fate of my children or our children to the taliban. I'm not going to put a question mark there, as it isn't a question.
Good "question" :)

Can't say that I've read a lot about Afghanistan - more about Islam in general - but I'm reminded of Sally Armstrong's Veiled Threat: The Hidden Power Of The Women Of Afghanistan

Seems that 20 odd years has given the women and the more secularly minded there some breathing room. Moot whether it will be sufficient to curtail the further depredations of the Taliban. Not sure that any outside country or group of them could do more - short of extirpating Islam root and branch. That's the crux of the problem - an "indigenous", pervasive, and pernicious value system that is, as Anthony Flew said in a review of Warraq's Why I'm Not a Muslim, "flatly incompatible with the establishment and maintenance of the equal individual rights and liberties of a liberal, democratic, secular state":

https://web.archive.org/web/20160529034 ... /chiv3.htm

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Women are claiming ‘boobs get bigger’ after having Pfizer jab
Women are sharing their shock at discovering their breasts have “got bigger” after their jab – with experts explaining why it happens.

Rebekah Scanlan
JULY 26, 202111:54AM

The data is coming in for vaccine side effects Aussies are experiencing, so how serious are they?
Women who have had the Pfizer vaccine are reporting an unexpected side effect – claiming their breasts have grown bigger after having the jab.

Pfizer is one of two vaccinations currently being rolled out across Australia in the fight against Covid-19.

Common side effects from Covid-19 vaccines include pain at the injection site, headaches, fatigue, or feeling flu-like symptoms.

But many women have noticed their breasts and lymph nodes had “swollen” after receiving their jabs, dubbing the effect the “Pfizer boob job”.

According to Australian Department of Health, inflamed lymph nodes are a less common side effect of the vaccinations.

In the US, where the vaccination rollout is further along than Australia, doctors have reported an influx of newly vaccinated women making mammogram appointments.

Dr. Laura Esserman, director of University of California San Francisco’s Breast Care Center, said women were confusing swollen lymph nodes after the vaccine for signs of cancer.

“I’m sure hundreds of thousands of women will be affected by this for sure,” said Dr. Esserman told ABC7 Chicago.

Women are reporting breast and lymph node swelling after having the Pfizer jab. Picture: Photo by NORBERTO DUARTE / AFPSource:AFP

A study published by the Radiological Society of North America recently concluded vaccine-induced lymphadenopathy was an important side effect for clinicians, patients, and cancer researchers to be aware of as it could result in a false cancer diagnosis.

While it is not clear how long it takes for the swelling in some women’s lymph nodes to go down, it is important to note, it is a “temporary” effect.

In Australia, women over 50 who require regular mammograms have been advised to either have a mammogram first, or delay it until six weeks after vaccination, to avoid any confusion.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 567e7dd1d7

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I wholly agree with you Steers.

Religions in our cultures wear the mask of spiritual direction givers. Benign, charitable entities seeking to provide solace and meaning to existence for those who need it. Moreover some great philosophical endeavour, which transcends our animal natures. They haven't adopted these roles out of will, but by rejection of their political manifesto and denial of their political mandate. A mandate not given by the people they seek to rule, but ordained by the creator of all existence itself. A concept directly incompatible with democracy, and why priests and kings made such cosy bedfellows.

Make no mistake, that given any whiff of power we would see the imposition of bronze age fuckery return. As to its value as philosophy, there is none, as theology is philosophy in a straight jacket, it does nought but imprison it. As poetry it is the scribbles of someone who hasn't learnt to communicate. I'll concede that it has impacted our culture in that it has retarded it, we can not know where we would be had it not been, we do know we are better without it.

The world where the islamic political system holds influence is relative to the christendom of the middle ages. Those who seek to reform it in any meaningful way do so from within the high walls of the western world, yet fail to see how the ideology itself destroys the very walls they rely on for their expression. Those who seek to negotiate with it, do so like a Chamberlain, or the frog who agreed to help the scorpion to the pastures green on the other side of the river. I say fuck it, and all who seek to enable it and its fascist tenets.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I may have misremembered. But I believe there was a demand expressed here for “meat salads”.

I may have the wrong board.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

'Groomer of the Stool' was a highly desired job placement in Henry VIII's time.

Sounds like this sort of job is due for a revival.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Leaked Pfizer contract shows purchasing governments waive the right to recall the jabshot for any reason _except_ for deviation from Good Practices standards in manufacturing. The shot could turn you into a zombie, but as long as it was made in a clean lab... no recall.

If an alternative treatment is found-- which is free & 100% effective-- that is not grounds for govt to halt contract with Pfizer.
If entire Covid pandemic is found to have been a massive hoax conspiracy-- that is not grounds for govt to halt contract with Pfizer.
If Pfizer's original claims about effectiveness of their product are found to have been false-- that is not grounds to halt contract either.

Purchaser also waives all caps on the amount of damages which purchaser might owe Pfizer-- if Pfizer claims damages.

Purchaser must provide Pfizer protection from liability for claims and all Losses ... and the sufficiency of such efforts shall be in Pfizer’s sole discretion.

The contract must be kept confidential for 10 years beyond term of contract.

https://archive.is/uzOll

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Steersman wrote:
screwtape wrote: Fucked up that quote. Sorry.
Well, I should hope so ... ;) Not sure if you were responding to me, Service Dog, or ThreeFlangedJavis.

But you may have noticed my response to Service Dog about the "contraindications" - quite a number of them for vaccines in general, although the number of people actually affected may be relatively small.

In any case and somewhat en passant, you might have noticed Service Dog's recent post about one "Dr. Charles Hoffe" who apparently practices in the thriving community of Lytton BC (population 250) who has raised some "concerns" about mRNA vaccines:

https://thebl.com/health/canadian-docto ... cines.html

Size of the community is no proof that he is, in fact, barking up the wrong tree but his argument seems rather iffy at best.
I thought the population of Lytton was currently around, oh, 0.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: You vaccinate your horses?
Tetanus, rabies, Eastern & Western Encephalitis (as a 4-in-1), West Nile. Always skip flu.

Did they consent? ;)
I walk up to them, jab one needle in one side of the neck, second in the other. No halter. One old gelding used to follow me around afterward for more attention. Same for dewormer paste, oral banamine, eye ointment, etc. Does that count as 'consent'?

Wanna know about my cat?
► Show Spoiler

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote:
Steersman wrote: ↑"Dr. Charles Hoffe"

A Canadian family doctor says he has been punished by his local health authority because he raised concerns about side effects he observed in some of those who had received the Moderna COVID-19 jab within his community.

“I am no longer allowed to work in the ER,” British Columbia Dr. Charles Hoffe said...

Hoffe added that his suspension from the ER came at the end of April, after his local health authority “suspended” his clinical privileges “for the crime of causing ‘vaccine hesitancy,’ for speaking out about my vaccine injured patients.”

In an April 5 letter, Hoffe had written to British Columbia Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry that he was “quite alarmed at the high rate of serious side effects from this novel treatment,” in reference to Moderna COVID-19 injections given to 900 mostly Indigenous people in Lytton, British Columbia.

Hoffe said he had observed one patient death, “numerous” allergic reactions, along with three individuals who had “disabling” neurological deficits completed with chronic pain, which persisted “for more than 10 weeks after their first vaccine.”

“So in short, in our small community of Lytton, BC, we have one person dead, and three people who look as though they will be permanently disabled, following their first dose of the Moderna vaccine. The age of those affected ranges from 38 to 82 years of age,” wrote Hoffe.

Following his letter, Hoffe said, he is no longer allowed to work in the ER department of St. Bartholomew’s Health Centre due to his views on the COVID injection. He still can work in his private practice.

“I am still permitted to see patients in my private practice, which is not under the jurisdiction of the Interior Health authority,” Hoffe said.

Losing the ability to work in the ER has resulted in his income being slashed by half, which he explained is “the price of advocating for the safety of my patients.”

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: he was “quite alarmed at the high rate of serious side effects from this novel treatment,” in reference to Moderna COVID-19 injections given to 900 mostly Indigenous people in Lytton, British Columbia.
My neighbor is NDN and had a mild case of the 'rona, but a horrible reaction to the vax, which she only got out of fear of vaccine passports.

That's just one data point, but worth pondering.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

'Long Covid', which sounds a lot like 'chronic' Lyme Disease, was pushed to CDC by an alternative medicine healer:

https://www.aier.org/article/how-a-psyc ... -research/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Yeah, Long Covid might be Malingering.
___

The first people I heard taking Long Covid seriously-- were Bret Weinstein & his wife.

I'm intrigued by the ways people cobble-together their understanding of which-things to endorse & which to discard. Bret W. accepts the orthodox premise that Covid is a dire threat-- including to young people. Yet he rejects the orthodoxy on Covid-treatment.

He may be right on both counts. Buuut... I don't think he's applying an across-the-board 'skeptic' stance. I think Bret is a little too prone to 'trusting the science' when 'the science' matches his ego/identity As A Scientist. And a little to prone to doubting-the-science if it matches the David&Goliath template from his own mice-telemere story/ and Evergreen/ and his brother's physics sob-story/ and his brother's economic-policy sob-story.

____

Unrelated example: I was surprised to read Za-zen echoing vintage talking-points (aged 20 years!) about our obligation to White-Knight-save Afghanistan's women & girls from their own culture... in-favor of western standards. Paired-with Za-zen also expressing the futility of trying to transplant western democracy to Afghanistan.

In that case-- my armchair-shrink guess-- is that championing the women & bemoaning the locals' unfitness to be Civilized... both serve as examples for Za-zen to denounce religion. And that takes priority over dwelling-on whether the 2 examples are contradictory.

____

My own cobbled-together set of notions endorsed-and-discarded... puts a high value on internal consistency-- When I Can Manage It. But that occurs far less often than I'd prefer. So I'm stuck with blatantly incompatible affinities. Such as me holding a low opinion of both BLM and police. Maybe someday I'll be compelled to Choose A Side... but so-far... I'm still None of the Above.

I don't know if Dr. Charles Hoffe of Lytton, B.C. is trustworthy. But I do know the journalists and officials censoring him are untrustworthy.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Za-zen wrote: I wholly agree with you Steers.
Nice to see that at least someone here “wholly agrees” with me ... ;) :) At least on one issue.
Za-zen wrote: Religions in our cultures wear the mask of spiritual direction givers.
“mask”, indeed. Underneath, most devotees are raving lunatics.

I’m just in the midst of reading Kurt Andersen’s Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire – highly recommended, synopsis of it by him at The Atlantic – which underlines the ubiquity of that, even or particularly in America. A particularly relevant section in the former is his discussion of the Satanic Panic of the 1980s which was, maybe arguably, almost entirely driven by fundamentalist Christians:
And in no other developed country, of course, are so many citizens evangelical or fundamentalist Christians. America is exceptional. ....

In other words, the Christian homeschooling movement consists of a million DIY mini-madrassas.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... nd/534231/

The Salem witch trials were just an early prototype.
Za-zen wrote: A concept directly incompatible with democracy, and why priests and kings made such cosy bedfellows.
Yeah. Think that’s probably why Diderot argued that “Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” Or mullah as the case may be.
Za-zen wrote: Make no mistake, that given any whiff of power we would see the imposition of bronze age fuckery return. As to its value as philosophy, there is none, as theology is philosophy in a straight jacket, it does nought but imprison it. As poetry it is the scribbles of someone who hasn't learnt to communicate. I'll concede that it has impacted our culture in that it has retarded it, we can not know where we would be had it not been, we do know we are better without it.
Quite a bit of truth to that, although I would argue – even Dawkins would argue – that there are some passable if not profound elements to be found in some religions, some more so than others. The problem is generally that far too many devotees cross the Rubicon – in style; high, wide, & “handsome” – in turning cogent metaphors into literal and gospel “truth”. There’s a Canadian Anglican (?) priestess, Greta Vosper, who, I think, kind of nailed that point:

Vosper_NewViewsOfChrist_Sctn_1A.jpg
(85.38 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Za-zen wrote: .... Those who seek to negotiate with [Islam], do so like a Chamberlain, or the frog who agreed to help the scorpion to the pastures green on the other side of the river. I say fuck it, and all who seek to enable it and its fascist tenets.
Amen to that. ICYMI, my kick at that kitty at The Post Millennial several years ago (since deleted) in an article titled, Can Islam, Sharia and a Secular Democracy coincide?:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180405214 ... democracy/

Although I think I had titled it “coexist” instead of “coincide”. Of particular note is a quote by a more or less sane Muslim reformer, Shireen Qudosi – may her tribe increase, who said that, “Islam needs to evolve or it needs to die”.

Amen to that too, although that might be said to apply, with more or less equal justification, to Christianity as well. But hard not to conclude that there’s precious little evidence of that among Western Muslims and that the West is more or less “clasping vipers to its breast” by allowing Muslims to immigrate here.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

In any case and somewhat en passant, you might have noticed Service Dog's recent post about one "Dr. Charles Hoffe" who apparently practices in the thriving community of Lytton BC (population 250) who has raised some "concerns" about mRNA vaccines:

https://thebl.com/health/canadian-docto ... cines.html

Size of the community is no proof that he is, in fact, barking up the wrong tree but his argument seems rather iffy at best.
I thought the population of Lytton was currently around, oh, 0.
:) Expect most of them are living in tents or motels in communities somewhat further afield since some "90% of the village had burned down":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lytton,_B ... estruction

Interesting factoid from the Wikipedia article is that the town was named after "Novelist Bulwer-Lytton" who is most remembered for coining what "is considered by some to be the worst opening sentence in the English language."

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: You vaccinate your horses?
Tetanus, rabies, Eastern & Western Encephalitis (as a 4-in-1), West Nile. Always skip flu.
Curious then why you're apparently so down on vaccinations. I can see that mRNA's are something of an iffy proposition - new technology and all that. Although it has been used, if memory serves, to some positive effect with other viruses.

But to be against the other vaccines that aren't based on that technique? Does not compute.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Did they consent? ;)
I walk up to them, jab one needle in one side of the neck, second in the other. No halter. One old gelding used to follow me around afterward for more attention. Same for dewormer paste, oral banamine, eye ointment, etc. Does that count as 'consent'?
Neigh? A case of "laying back and enjoying it"? ;)
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Wanna know about my cat?
► Show Spoiler
:) Reminds me of a quip that big cats are dangerous but a little pussy never hurt anyone ...

But nice to know that "spoiler" apparently works - seem to recollect that Lsuoma had disabled it several years ago because of problems.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Imagine a town which depends on one man.

An infestation of beetles ended the Ash logging. All the factories, which made items from Ash wood, now closed.

There's only one descendent left, of the founding family, for which the town is named.

And when he dies-- or if he ever moves-away-- the family trust will auction-off the ferry, the copper wire in the buildings, the cobblestones of the streets... and sell the land for strip-mining.

Yet people still live there. No where else to go. Making modest livings-- not enough to save the town.

And so... all they can do is try to keep that last descendent from leaving.

And they do this-- by giving him zero-interest loans. And he's a gambling addict.

So he bets $5 on football and loses. And $11 on hockey and loses. And $3 on basketball and loses.

He keeps borrowing zero-interest money & he keeps losing & he keeps borrowing. Sometimes he wins, but mostly he loses.

So the townsfolk search their attics for antique Ash wood heirlooms & sell them on eBay and give him more loans.

The pace of his gambling & losing has been accelerating. Which actually heats-up the local economy. Enough dusty antiques are being converted to eBay money and lost in bets-- that the townsfolk who won those bets have wads of cash overflowing their pockets.

And on an off-week, when nothing sells on eBay, the townsfolk sign IOUs and loan them to the gambler at zero-percent interest; and everybody agrees to accept those IOUs for gambling debt payment & other purchases. Which really inflates the money-supply. They've signed-away their future earnings as debt.

Prices rise-- in bidding wars-- whenever anything scarce is sold: rare tasty berries somebody found in the forest. A mildewy porno mag, also found in the forest. These people recognize Inflation, and they see it's getting too expensive for them to subsist. They've promised-away too-many future earnings.

They watch TV. They remember old TV news reports about Greenspan & Bernanke. They know what The Fed would do: The Fed would slow-down the economy, by raising interest rates on all those zero-interest loans. Charging interest would give the loaners revenue to offset the their savings & future-earnings they already traded-away. Charging interest would at-long-last introduce negative consequences to the gambler's behavior, slowing his betting.

Of course, if the gambler stops having consequence-free fun, then the one thing keeping him from moving-away-- will have vanished.

And so the town fathers-- the engineers of this entire predicament-- devise another solution.

The extend the practice of zero-interest loans to the gambler-- with no end in sight.

But they lock-down everyone-else in town. No matter how much you win betting against the gambler: you can't go out & pick berries, or look inside tree stumps for mildewy porn mags, or anything-else which circulates the local economy. You can, however, keep mailing Ash wood eBay sales items out to the foreign eBay bidders-- mostly in China-- who provide an outside infusion of cash.

The hope is-- that the lockdowns will buy eeeeeeenough time-- to retire those old IOUs floating-around/ replace them with outside cash/ and buy the gambler enough time to pay-off his backlog of old debts... so the entire system can gently balance its' books without crisis.

Except the gambler didn't use this extended grace-period of zero interest loans-- to retire his old debts. He used the new loans to gamble more and lose more and heat the local economy more... far-beyond their ability to ever service the old IOUs or the new ones or new new ones after-that.

AND SO THE LOCKDOWNS MUST BE EXTENDED FORWARD, BEYOND THE ORIGINAL PLAN, WITH NO END IN SIGHT.

UNTIL EVERYTHIING COMES CRASHING DOWN.

at least that's this-guy's theory:
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2021-07- ... hind-their

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: Curious then why you're apparently so down on vaccinations.
You haven't been paying attention to what I've been saying.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: But nice to know that "spoiler" apparently works - seem to recollect that Lsuoma had disabled it several years ago because of problems.
I tried hiding more Lizzo nudies in it, but they wouldn't fit.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: Curious then why you're apparently so down on vaccinations.
You haven't been paying attention to what I've been saying.
I'm kinda late to "The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show" party. Kinda assumed that your Vax_Pin and its supposed set of ancestors said it all.

Maybe you could summarize your position - in 25 or 250 words or less - for us late arrivals?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote: Yeah, Long Covid might be Malingering.

<snip>

My own cobbled-together set of notions endorsed-and-discarded... puts a high value on internal consistency-- When I Can Manage It.
Good man; one of your more commendable traits ... ;) :)

Internal consistency is no guarantee that one's arguments or philosophy holds water - maybe there's a consequential "hole" off in the distance that we don't know about, simply can't know about, until we actually follow the "logic" as far as we can. Part and parcel of the rather durable and quite venerable principle of reductio ad absurdum:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

Interestingly, the game of Sudoku provides some nice illustrations of that principle and is, I think, a useful game for understanding it and logic in general. Highly recommended for that alone. For those interested in a popularization of some of the relatively simple mathematics behind the game, see Taking Sudoku Seriously: The Math Behind the World's Most Popular Pencil Puzzle; also highly recommended:

But of some relevance to that topic is a cogent observation by physicist Sabine Hossenfelder, one smart cookie, and a commendable populizer and explainer herself of various aspects of science:

BackReaction_SabineHossenfelder_LawsOfNature1A.jpg
(147.14 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Service Dog wrote: But that occurs far less often than I'd prefer. So I'm stuck with blatantly incompatible affinities. Such as me holding a low opinion of both BLM and police. Maybe someday I'll be compelled to Choose A Side... but so-far... I'm still None of the Above.
Methinks Yeats summarized that situation and problem rather accurately - seems ubiquitous if not characteristic of current discourse and "debates":
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
A challenge to steer - so to speak - between those two problematic poles, "between Scylla and Charybdis".
Service Dog wrote: I don't know if Dr. Charles Hoffe of Lytton, B.C. is trustworthy. But I do know the journalists and officials censoring him are untrustworthy.
Maybe he's identified a particular population more susceptible to bad reactions from Corona vaccines - it's an area with a high native population, and it's generally known that there are some syndromes or diseases more prevalent among them than "white" folks. Diabetes, I think, for example.

But, with my vast knowledge of biology and genetics ..., it seems his "explanations" are rather implausible.

Although you may have something of a point with "untrustworthy" - sort of the nature of the beast; "he who pays the piper" and all that ...

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

Steersman wrote: I'm kinda late to "The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show" party.
When the previous thread was named back in January, it was not completely obvious to everyone that:
a) the FBI did the planning and instigation of the January 6th Capitol thing
b) the entire virology community had known for the past year that the Chinese government believed that Covid-19 emerged from the Wuhan lab
c) even if Trump didn't get enough votes that he ought to have won the election, there were enough shenanigans that it is hard for a reasonable person to tell how the election would have gone if the United States had been a functioning democracy.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Fegg wrote:
Steersman wrote: I'm kinda late to "The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show" party.
When the previous thread was named back in January, it was not completely obvious to everyone that:
Thanks for the "review of the bidding", for the background. :)
Fegg wrote: a) the FBI did the planning and instigation of the January 6th Capitol thing
Interesting "hypothesis" though the evidence of a smoking gun seems thin on the ground. Some history of various security services promoting the commission of crimes that they're supposed to be preventing so it's not implausible the FBI had their fingers in the pie. But "planning & instigation" seems a stretch.
Fegg wrote: b) the entire virology community had known for the past year that the Chinese government believed that Covid-19 emerged from the Wuhan lab
"had known for the past year" seems a bit moot, though it depends on who you talk to:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/14/worl ... =url-share
The idea that the virus may have escaped from a lab had long been widely dismissed by scientists as implausible and shunned by others for its connection with former President Donald J. Trump.
Still, becoming a more popular hypothesis.
Fegg wrote: c) even if Trump didn't get enough votes that he ought to have won the election, there were enough shenanigans that it is hard for a reasonable person to tell how the election would have gone if the United States had been a functioning democracy.
You may have something of a point with the US no longer being a "functioning democracy"; Jeffrey Sachs certainly seems to agree:

NewYorker_JeffreySachs_CoronaVirusResponse1A.jpg
(282.18 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/ ... oronavirus

And then there's Noam Chomsky's Failed States.

Sad and rather depressing in a way. I've periodically argued that US may well be humanity's last best hope. Some sound fundamentals, but, apparently, increasing levels of rot, some flaws that may well be more or less fatal. "All a friend can say is, ain't it a shame" ...

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Steersman wrote:
Interesting factoid from the Wikipedia article is that the town was named after "Novelist Bulwer-Lytton" who is most remembered for coining what "is considered by some to be the worst opening sentence in the English language."
I've been re-reading one of my childhood favourites who was very much a contemporary and competitor to Bulwer-Lytton, John Buchan (or Lord Tweedsmuir to Canucks). Some pretty egregious anti-semitism in most of them, but I still find it hard to dislike his heroes, stuffy and priggish as they are. I'd keep away from his adventures, unless they are nostalgic romps for you, and try the quirky ones, like John MacNab.
Steersman wrote: Curious then why you're apparently so down on vaccinations. I can see that mRNA's are something of an iffy proposition - new technology and all that. Although it has been used, if memory serves, to some positive effect with other viruses.
The second disease ever eradicated, after smallpox, was rinderpest, and that was done via an mRNA vaccine. Rinderpest never got much press, being an African problem, but the effect in Africa was huge. mRNA vaccines have been used for several veterinary conditions, and it is beyond time we got the benefits as well as the beasties. Sad that only two diseases have been eradicated. Polio nearly went, but then the tragic combination of Boko Haram and anti-vaccine propaganda put paid to that. After a couple or three more Buchans I have a copy of Plagues and People waiting to be read, a book that links the endemic diseases of human societies with the kind of governments they choose.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://evansnewsreport.files.wordpress ... chrome.jpg

USA Today disappears paragraph from news article:

original version:

"NBC News, citing unnamed officials aware of the decision, reported it comes after new data suggests vaccinated individuals could have higher levels of virus and infect others amid the surge of cases driven by the delta variant of the coronavirus."

https://archive.is/066JQ

scrubbed version:

https://archive.is/dSitY

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Service Dog wrote: Unrelated example: I was surprised to read Za-zen echoing vintage talking-points (aged 20 years!) about our obligation to White-Knight-save Afghanistan's women & girls from their own culture... in-favor of western standards. Paired-with Za-zen also expressing the futility of trying to transplant western democracy to Afghanistan.

In that case-- my armchair-shrink guess-- is that championing the women & bemoaning the locals' unfitness to be Civilized... both serve as examples for Za-zen to denounce religion. And that takes priority over dwelling-on whether the 2 examples are contradictory.
I'll bite, whilst first posting a disclaimer, that attempting to understand why you hold certain positions through introspection is flawed:
I am a cultural supremacist. I make no apology for that. There are common pillars in all western societies which we can point to as our common culture. Those are for example, individual liberty and equality under the law. I do not speak German, nor do many Aussies, but i am quite sure that if i, or an average Ozzy moved to Germany, the fundamentals of the society would be very familiar to us, though we could argue as to who abuses beer more.

In short, i believe that what we norm as western cultural, is the best system we have devised so far (and it is always evolving) in which humans can generate both advancements for us as a species, and the personal freedom to pursue what you value in your life (generally). This is not to say i think western culture holds all the cards, just the best hand.

If we have to have political heroes, to surmise or views, mine would be Tom Paine.

I supported the invasion of Afghanistan. I think it was justified (Iraq, not so much). But regardless of whether i supported it or not, once engaged, i think, we have a duty to those who live there once we have turned their world upside down, to unfuck their lives as much as we can. I reference women specifically, as it is they who will lose the most, and be most physically endangered by the return of the barbarians. Religions are political systems, i'm sure i could maybe think of a few which i don't despise, i'd just have to put a lot of thought into it. In the same way i can easily say i despise fascism, i can say i despise islamism, just as i could say i despise christianism.

Did i think 20 years ago, we could transplant western culture to Afghan for example? I honestly don't know/can't remember. If I did, i now think i was wrong.

Separately: Why is my connection to the site listed as "not secure"?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Joey Jordison, ex-Slipknot drummer, dead at 46.

RIP.

(I've always considered this to be their greatest track - ironically it's about...fiddling around...with a corpse. Long build-up but worth every minute when the screaming/growling starts!)

Fucking hell... :(

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote: Joey Jordison, ex-Slipknot drummer, dead at 46.
I lived in Iowa... my puberty years... when my taste in music formed. Slipknot were a younger than me & my noisy friends' bands.
I've always considered them the little brothers of my teenage Iowa-- a non-contrived missing link between grunge & Limp Bizkit. I'm happy to see so many kids still wear their t-shirts, today.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:
With headers like this I think these sheep should be on the US woman soccer team.... pow! They are starting to let men play on women's soccer teams... why not sheep?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Look, I'm not saying

Jill Biden

got walking-blackout drunk

jumped out of a moving limo,

pulled her dress over her head,

and offered to 'play doctor' with any man--

who doesn't smell like earwax and diapers.

I'm just sayin':

"Check-out this weird dress I found behind the bowling alley."

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill dead at 72.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Pfizer touts 3rd jab-- to reduce chance of being stuck by lightning. 99% less likely to be struck by lightning, say experts.

“I think the vaccine is absolutely bulletproof against this disease. We had a lightning storm in Cleveland last night,” Geraldo Rivera reported. [Tues July 27]. “It was as likely to get hit by one of those lightning bolts as to get this terrible disease if you are vaccinated. This is a disease of the unvaccinated.”
_____

Pfizer/BioNTech data released Wednesday [July 28] suggests a third dose of the vaccine “strongly boosts” protection against the coronavirus delta variant. “Estimated potential for up to 100-fold increase in Delta neutralization post-dose three compared to pre-dose three,” Pfizer researchers found, as detailed in the presentation.
_____

Former NBA star Charles Barkley offered screwtape a personal message, Tuesday: “Everybody should be vaccinated. Period.”

“The only people who are not vaccinated are just a–holes,” he added.
_____

“Look, the only pandemic we have is among the unvaccinated," said Joe Biden-- just 10 short days ago.

Biden was echoing CDC director Rochelle P. Walensky, speaking two days earlier, as quoted in the New York Times:

"This is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

_____

(Ok, let's be honest. This is Biden we're talking-about. He wasn't 'echoing' that cunt. He was plagiarizing her.)

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

screwtape wrote: The second disease ever eradicated, after smallpox, was rinderpest, and that was done via an mRNA vaccine. Rinderpest never got much press, being an African problem, but the effect in Africa was huge.
I will confess that I first became aware of cattle plague from reading The Food Journal, which was an English magazine which ran from 1870-1872 which provides a fascinating window into the mid-Victorian era. Cattle plague had been eradicated in Britain in the 1770s, and it got reintroduced in the 1860s in a shipment of live cattle, did massive damage and was enormously expensive to eradicate again.

Keating

Post by Keating »

screwtape wrote: Polio nearly went, but then the tragic combination of Boko Haram and anti-vaccine propaganda put paid to that.
The CIA too.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Za-zen wrote: Separately: Why is my connection to the site listed as "not secure"?
Have you tried using https? The cert I use is from Let's Encrypt - do you have them as a trusted CA?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote:
Steersman wrote:
I've been re-reading one of my childhood favourites who was very much a contemporary and competitor to Bulwer-Lytton, John Buchan (or Lord Tweedsmuir to Canucks). Some pretty egregious anti-semitism in most of them, but I still find it hard to dislike his heroes, stuffy and priggish as they are. I'd keep away from his adventures, unless they are nostalgic romps for you, and try the quirky ones, like John MacNab.
Sounds interesting. Though I don't get a chance to read much fiction - I think the last one in that department was Orwell's Burmese Days which speaks somewhat to your "egregious anti-semitism":
the novel describes "both indigenous corruption and imperial bigotry" in a society where, "after all, natives were natives—interesting, no doubt, but finally...an inferior people".
Planning to read his Road to Wigam Pier when I get a chance.

That and a bit of history for light reading - in the realm of Canadiana, Berton's The Last Spike and Susanna Moodie's Roughing it in the Bush. Interesting that when Moodie showed up in what was yet to become Canada in about 1832 there was something of an ongoing cholera epidemic centered around Montreal I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanna_Moodie

"hardy pioneers", indeed.
screwtape wrote:
Steersman wrote: Curious then why you're apparently so down on vaccinations. I can see that mRNA's are something of an iffy proposition - new technology and all that. Although it has been used, if memory serves, to some positive effect with other viruses.
The second disease ever eradicated, after smallpox, was rinderpest, and that was done via an mRNA vaccine. Rinderpest never got much press, being an African problem, but the effect in Africa was huge. mRNA vaccines have been used for several veterinary conditions, and it is beyond time we got the benefits as well as the beasties. Sad that only two diseases have been eradicated. Polio nearly went, but then the tragic combination of Boko Haram and anti-vaccine propaganda put paid to that. After a couple or three more Buchans I have a copy of Plagues and People waiting to be read, a book that links the endemic diseases of human societies with the kind of governments they choose.
Certainly seems that, in a remarkable full-court press, rinderpest was eradicated in 2001, but don't see that was via any mRNA vaccines which apparently didn't get on-track or even development until well after then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinderpest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_vacci ... y_research

Some fascinating history and genetics:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectious ... id19/89998

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ld/618431/

The Atlantic article can be opened and read in an incognito browser window.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote: .

CDC admits the PCR test doesn't work... but says Keep Using It Until 2022.

https://media.patriots.win/post/H1ts3e3V.png

Anyone else think its weird that the CDC admitted PCR tests don't work--

at the exact same time as Gates & Soros team-up to buy a non-PCR Covid Test company??

https://www.theepochtimes.com/bill-gate ... 09833.html
Facebook now fact-checking that CDC link as "FALSE INFORMATION". The link has not be retracted or edited by the CDC.

https://archive.is/tqGEw

https://media.patriots.win/post/D4Hg99zw.jpeg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Reporters for the Houston Chronicle and Washington Post say the CDC's new diktat-- telling I'm Fully Vaccinated people to put their masks back-on-- is based on unpublished, non-peer-reviewed mystery data-- which is not available for experts to examine or understand.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Expe ... 347545.php

______

Why would the CDC hide their evidence from doctors, epidemiologists, experts?

I have a hunch: I think the CDC's data is the same data which Representative Chip Roy describes at 20min50sec, as a guest on Tucker Carlson. https://youtu.be/S4xGZrOoicU?t=1252

According to Chip Roy, Republicans met with the Capitol Physician-- and demanded an explanation-- why the official physician of Congress-- had recommended that vax'd members of Congress should resume wearing masks.

Chip Roy learned that the Physician's decision was based on data which is:

1. unpublished
2. failed peer review
3. based on a vaccine in India, not approved or available in the US.
______

"Our evidence is very flimsy" is NOT a valid reason for the CDC to withhold their evidence from the public. That's the opposite of a valid reason.

I think the CDC looked at 'Delta Variant' data from India... and based their current US policy on how Delta affected 'vaccinated' people in India-- who were jabbed with vaccines you haven't even heard-of:

*Covishield
*Covaxin
*Sputnik V
*Moderna

Tucker Carlson devoted 30 minutes of his show to the anti-science political bullying which is Biden & Pelosi's Covid policy. It's a good episode:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This is a recent, and sane, tour de force podcast on COVID origins; pros and cons of the possibility it was a lab escape.

Attia does good podcasts, usually health related. He sounds like Sam Harris.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/t ... 0529316847

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh. Our lockdown has been extended 4 weeks, effectively indefinitely. The Army has just been called out to enforce compliance.

That will work a treat in our migrant heavy, Mid East centric, moslem-esque hardest hit locales. 😂

We have LGAs that are essentially sealed. We have restrictions coming out of our ears.

Fuck 🇨🇳

Keating

Post by Keating »

And the worst part is that Albo will be Prime Minister now.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Not that ScoMo is any good

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Nah. Scotty done good. Kept those expats out.

“But we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come. And can I say on this point what a fantastic job Scott Morrison has done for Australia.”

Keating

Post by Keating »

Well that's true. I called my MP the other day and congratulated his minion on cutting immigration, and how I never thought I'd see numbers this low in my life time.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Now Dusty Hill has gone. Made it to 82, though. Not bad for a rocker.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote: 72.
Holy shit. Lsuoma admitted he was wrong about something. Nice!