Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
LMU

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by LMU »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:LOL They think we're all upset over Oolon's "nifty" block bot:
@janphar @aratina @The_Block_Bot The slymies are already howling about the blocking of dissenting opinions.
https://twitter.com/janphar/status/299682177682112512
Oh, I howled all right. With laughter.

Oolon's probably getting more belly rubs than he's ever received in his pathetic life. Good boy, Oolon. Good boy.
I laughed until it occurred that the bot will end up with people being suspended. Not cool at all.
That would be my only concern as well. It's essentially another bullying tactic. Of course it may turn out that not enough people use it to actually get anyone suspended, in which case I think it's fine and it's just them isolating themselves.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Git wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Git wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Anyone got some useful practical tips for dealing with FTBullies?
Nuking them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
Good advice, Ripley!
Is the kitteh in the photo your new one? He's lovely, if a tad....dinosaurphobic.
Yes, that is Stimpy. Dumb as a bag of hammers but adorable.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... b00e86.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 1e59fa.jpg

Reap

Post by Reap »

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

LMU wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
LMU wrote:
I might be doing it wrong, but I tried to find archived versions of PZ's Always Name Names post ( http://web.archive.org/web/201211050413 ... ame-names/ ) and the archived versions only go back to July 2012 (more than a year after the post was made) and none of them have comments. Am I doing it wrong or does Wayback Machine not keep archives older than a certain amount?
The links they give often screw up, I'm finding. Go to the wayback's main page, and start from fresh, entering http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... ame-names/ into the search box. Then it should give you a calendar (year changes are at the top somewhere), and then try to find one that's between 2011/07/09 to about 2011/08/09 (it'll be after the comment thread was complete, but before PZ 'lost' them). Do the same for all three EG threads.

I'll put up a copy that I've made from the wayback onto my own site along with the slimepit archives. I was going to just give people the wayback's links, but they keep not working right most of the time.
That's what I thought I was doing. :( When you say "they keep not working right most of the time" does it mean they work right some of the time and I should just keep trying? Thanks for your efforts! :)
They worked for me maybe two times, right after I first got the wayback url from the site. Then they just started landing me on various other wayback pages, but not on the archived urls like it was supposed to.

Rather than figure it out, and rather than depend on the wayback always being there, tomorrow sometime, I'll turn the SlimePit Archive, into the SlimePit and ElevatorGate Archives. I'll post the copies I got from the wayback machine, which is better than my original saved pages, being that they are complete in comments, and also they retain the formatting better.

didymos

Post by didymos »

cunt wrote:That peace treaty thread devolved into a discussion on whether the term "butt-hurt" is homophobic, with the obvious conclusion that it is. Caine said so.
slowdjinn
8 February 2013 at 2:23 pm (UTC -6) Link to this comment
I, likewise, innocently associated ‘butthurt’ with the discomfort & embarrassment of falling on one’s arse in public… 8-/

*trudges off to clip another word from personal vocabulary*
Idiots. Oh, wait, that's ableist. Moro---hmmm. That too. Stupid. Now that's clearly ableist. Simpletons? Fools? Lackwits? Probably ableist too. Also, too quaint. Alright, how much of the language can we use? Is there a list somewhere?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

LMU wrote: The deal with the harassment policies as it seemed to me is that if you want to implement a solution for a problem, then you need to do this:

1) Show that the problem exists.
2) Show that your solution would solve the problem.
3) Implement your solution.

They wanted to skip right to 3 when they hadn't done 1 or 2. Instead they appealed to emotion and then smeared those who didn't take them at their word.
Exactly.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I think I just won! :D

http://i.imgur.com/kVkPh73.jpg
Here, feel free to take some:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... italin.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

didymos wrote:
cunt wrote:That peace treaty thread devolved into a discussion on whether the term "butt-hurt" is homophobic, with the obvious conclusion that it is. Caine said so.
slowdjinn
I, likewise, innocently associated ‘butthurt’ with the discomfort & embarrassment of falling on one’s arse in public… 8-/

Idiots. Oh, wait, that's ableist. Moro---hmmm. That too. Stupid. Now that's clearly ableist. Simpletons? Fools? Lackwits? Probably ableist too. Also, too quaint. Alright, how much of the language can we use? Is there a list somewhere?
Cocksucker. That's universal

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

welch wrote:
Apples wrote:Heh - this notion that the 'Pit is "asking for a ceasefire" has made it halfway around the FTB world and I haven't even gotten my combat boots on yet.
How did "go fuck yourself" turn into a ceasefire?
I was wondering the same thing. I never saw any posts about a ceasefire.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

cunt wrote:That peace treaty thread devolved into a discussion on whether the term "butt-hurt" is homophobic, with the obvious conclusion that it is.
Speaking of butthurt. Clueless old fart on the JREF forum A+ thread:
The guy with the cow skull? Whoa! And nobody has mentioned it? This one is recent, and about 20 minutes long. It would seem to have taken butthurt to a whole new plateau, so I assume by no responses I'm lacking some info about the history of these folks. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. I'm relatively new to all this.

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p= ... count=3577

didymos

Post by didymos »

welch wrote:
didymos wrote:
slowdjinn

Cocksucker. That's universal
Nah. Sexist AND homophobic. Probably oppressive in other ways too. I gotta wonder what their reaction to an average episode of Deadwood would be. They'd lose their minds.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

AndrewV69 wrote:Meanwhile:

Ringleader in Amish beard-cutting attacks sentenced to 15 years:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le8389920/
Because:
The defendants were charged with a hate crime because prosecutors believe religious differences brought about the attacks.
Oh! I am certainly well informed now. See... intent matters. If the beards had been cut off because of a deeply offended sense of aesthetics it would have been different.

/pointless.snark.copied.from.the.baboon.playbook
Hate crime logic, never been a fan. I understand the "logic" when it's members of one dominant cultural group consistently attacking a weaker group just on the basis of group identity...it certainly happens, but how many crimes really fit that mold, and how many have to be squeezed into the box just a bit? How many times do we blur the difference between power imbalance, terrorism, and just plain assholes? All just to give more inscrutable, only vaguely definable power to the state, to shape people as they please on grounds that are hard to defend against.

Like this crime....this appears to be based on religious identity, but it seems more like a split or in-group squabble, and the assault, while I'm sure it was painful and humiliating, is hardly all that damaging.

It's a hard line to draw, but I think some parts of western society are just going apeshit over issues of relatively minor violence. 15 years for a few forced shavings based on a passionate and family-based religious dispute? (Yes, I'm going to knock feminists again even though it's seemingly unrelated). Of course, only if you're the "patriarch". The women involved got 1 year each. Prosecutor's quote:

"He is a danger to this community," she said. "He is capable of controlling 15 defendants."

Wow...I have a remote control helicopter, I thought THAT was cool. How many batteries does it take to control 15 people, I wonder? (Pun? YOU make the call!)

Well, at least this time, it's an actual real-life "patriarch" being brought down with a mighty jail sentence. He got 15 times the punishment the women received, instead of the usual 10 times for men that non-real-patriarchs and other everyday dudes get.

One more quote from the article:
"Nine of 10 men who were convicted have been locked up awaiting sentencing. The six women, who all have children, have been free on bond."

Wow, sexism really IS everywhere, once you look for it! Up, down, sideways, and from all directions to all people. But we need unilateral government action to take down whites and men especially and unidirectionally, for everyone's own good. Because our entire society is completely violent and as male-dominated and patriarchal as a small cult of fanatically religious christian luddites. Whose worst crimes are akin to college hazings. Yup, that's the ticket.

comslave

Post by comslave »

rocko2466 wrote:Wtf Laden.

Untitled 3.jpg

Did we suddenly become Catholic priests?

:rimshot:

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Submariner wrote:Feminism brands: Radical, equity, gender, moderate, liberal, separatist, orthodox, and Shaolin.

The real joke is that the list is even longer, none of them offer much of use, but you can't criticize any unless you already agree with what can't be readily explained.

Ah, post-modernism mixed with stupid and self-obsessed people...the death of civilizations, if taken too seriously.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:LOL They think we're all upset over Oolon's "nifty" block bot:
@janphar @aratina @The_Block_Bot The slymies are already howling about the blocking of dissenting opinions.

Oolon's probably getting more belly rubs than he's ever received in his pathetic life. Good boy, Oolon. Good boy.
I laughed until it occurred that the bot will end up with people being suspended. Not cool at all.
Well, if Twitter doesn't seem inclined to care, there's nothing much that can be done about it. So, I don't care either. I know you like Twitter, but to me it really is a completely useless thing. Mild amusement is all I ever get from it, and lately not even that. If my account gets blocked so fucking what. Twitter is apparently terribly important to the social justice douchebags, but 140 character posts about nothing aren't a big loss to me.

Git

Post by Git »

Gumby wrote:
Yes, that is Stimpy. Dumb as a bag of hammers but adorable.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... b00e86.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 1e59fa.jpg
He's absolutely magnificent, and from the way he drapes that paw, he knows it too. Please give him some fuss from me.

(yes, I left the pictures in deliberately, there's been too much non-kitteh action in the pit recently)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Git wrote: He's absolutely magnificent, and from the way he drapes that paw, he knows it too. Please give him some fuss from me.

(yes, I left the pictures in deliberately, there's been too much non-kitteh action in the pit recently)
Actually, he is a she, you feline misogynist! I think Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy is a male cat but the name still fits my kitteh given how brainless and happy she is.

At the risk of irritating the cat-haters here, one more pic with her and her beloved scratch-pad, which she likes to sleep on when she is exhausted from scratching everything in the house but the fucking scratchpad:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... b3cce9.jpg

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Submariner wrote:
Jack wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
Jack wrote:
You may want to look up what kickstarter is. It is a method of obtaining money up front in order to produce a promised product. It is becoming very popular and allows products or services that would otherwise not be made. She has not produced the product she received a substantial sum for several months after she got the money. Yet she's asking for more hence the comment made. Otherwise I agree, it is fine asking for support. In fact I encourage it. That wasn't the context however.

It does bother me and it may affect me. I and others I know are looking to do kickstarter projects and people like her give it a bad name.
I'm vaguely aware of what it is. One thing I don't understand - do you just get money sent to you? What happens if you don't do what you said you were? Anyway, from her website it sounds like she is still working on it. I would imagine there would be a big backlash if she doesn't do it, but it seems premature to judge her based on not having a big project done. Also, it appears all of her videos have a little thing at the end asking for donations, and the lego video was done well before the kickstarter idea.
What happens is contributions are made. Depending on the level of contribution you may get something more back (such as a character named after you in a video game) You do get money sent to you or whatever vehicle you have set up for the project. In fact any investor would want to know the skills of whoever is doing it, like any other business, and see clear progress being made. The people doing it would be expected to show results and reports as they go.

As far as I know, like any investment, there is no payback if nothing is produced. As long as investors are smart this should only happen for normal business failure reasons (there's been some spectacular failures) However she sold her idea on something tenuous and heavily promoted the Rad Fem thing, so of course people invested based on emotion rather than business sense. She had nothing to show and produced nothing. All she has to do is start showing mysogony in games, any of us could do that in 10 minutes if you take the Rad Fem line. Do a couple a week and she'd have done what she said she would do in no time. Then write up a report and off you go, easy. A few thousand would cover that if not less.

Kickstarter relies on the goodwill of people to get projects off the ground. In my opinion she abused that goodwill so far. She may come up with something that's great but I won't be holding my breath. At best she stopped her project from being taken up by someone who would have at least done something by now. She has probably closed that door for them.
Her first video is due to be released soon, at least that's what her page says. Prediction: She won't mention the way males are stereotyped, or just killed because someone had to die in that scene. Oh no, it'll be all about how female characters are over-sexualized, or stereotyped. Another equity feminist failing. If it kills a man it's fine, but Holy Jebus if a woman shows too much fucking cleavage.

In order for male death to be taken seriously by most of the larger society, you have to be as harmless and friendly looking as say, Tom Hanks. You have to be in a saintly women-approved role like, say, a teacher. You have to be saving at least several thousand to maybe a million women, children, or other approved victims from death and tyranny by sacrificing yourself. And it helps the credibility if a lot if, while dying, you look sternly at a terrified, pants-shitting younger man who has also been saved by your heroics and tell him he needs to "earn this.......earn it."

THEN you can be treated as if your death was in any way something to feel bad about. Or at least worthy of being manipulated by politicians looking to expend more like you.

windy

Post by windy »

<-I decided to come out as the man-destroying she-beast that I am. This is my 'morning after' face.
Ape+lust wrote: LEGO gave the girls power drills... but good heavens, they're PURPLE!

I would love to take the dolls from a 5-year-old Sarkeesian and hand her a power drill. Tell her her tears are for a greater cause.
Here's that horrible abomination with the purple tools:
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Olivia-s-Inv ... kshop-3933
Invent something amazing with Olivia! Head down to Olivia’s Invention Workshop to help her create a remote-controlled pet robot! Olivia loves tinkering with her toys to make cool creations. Write plans on the chalkboard and examine crystal under the microscope. Use the power tools to put the robot together then oil him with the oil can! Work on parts for new inventions in the vice or on the workbench, then store it all away in the shelves and rack of chemist jars. Includes Olivia mini-doll figure.
Gawd! The stereotyping! Nobody tell Sarkeesian, but we have bright pink and other neon coloured plasticware in our lab. (No pet robot, though :( )

I remember that Scala jewelry she calls 'ridiculous'. I had some of those along with bucketloads of the regular Legos and Lego Technic (those were the coolest, but also the most expensive). Unfortunately there were no internet feminists around yet to explain how Lego bracelets would rot my young female brain.
Feminism brands: Radical, equity, gender, moderate, liberal, separatist, orthodox, and Shaolin.
I'm more of a Shaolin Drunken Monkey feminist.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Gumby wrote:
Well, if Twitter doesn't seem inclined to care, there's nothing much that can be done about it. So, I don't care either. I know you like Twitter, but to me it really is a completely useless thing. Mild amusement is all I ever get from it, and lately not even that. If my account gets blocked so fucking what. Twitter is apparently terribly important to the social justice douchebags, but 140 character posts about nothing aren't a big loss to me.
I don't do twitter, so no real skin off my nose either. It seems like the best medium for the baboon follower types since they don't really do argument, just slogans.

What makes me laugh is that they actually think they'll be able to do this and take over twitter or something. Their trolls are going to do a mirror image of this in no time, and serious trolls probably already have a bazillion well aged twitter accounts ready to use against them if they started getting their accounts suspended. They've probably already infiltrated the turd's list so they can collect names.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Final episode of Pharyngula Primary School.

http://i.imgur.com/5SP3Li6.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:However, since that was not the case one can only suggest that you had been “triggered” – rather shamelessly by that woman – by some combination of her attributes and your mental filters. Further evidence to support if not prove the argument that our genetics can drive us like clockwork. Apropos of which, while I will seriously question Michael Shermer’s argument that “40 to 50 percent of the variance among people in temperament, personality, and many political, economic, and social preferences are inherited”, the position, in effect, of Zvan and company that “gender is entirely a social construct” is so bogus as to suggest willful blindness and egregious dogma.
Oh I was "triggered" alright but I suspect that the "shameless" bit you added was just you being sarcastic/ironic. I am pretty certain it was nothing overt or even subconscious on her part.

I strongly suspect the trigger was strictly biological in origin and had nothing to do with anything you would call human consciousness. What I am very much certain of, is that it was wholly an involuntary animal response on my part.

In any event, I also suspect that it is precisely this sort of thing, that humans are subject to biological triggers and involuntary responses, that makes the subject of Evo Psy and the use of Game by PUAs, to cause some to react in horror and/or denial about the subject.

I would also not be surprised, if certain cultural norms evolved to ameliorate and mediate observed biological responses where they appeared to provide a net benefit (whatever they may have been).

Certainly, in my case you could reasonably infer and attribute some form of cultural conditioning, to the fact that I was able to suppress my natural instinct to immediately engage in copulation (irregardless of the desires of the party of the second part) when my rape switch went off (I also suspect that Laden is constantly struggling with his, hence it is a truly heroic act if true, that Greg does not go around raping women willy nilly).

Finally, seeing as I am strongly suspecting all over the place, I also strongly suspect that something of the sort used to happen on a regular enough basis in the distant past, that it could possibly help to explain why as much as 20% of rape victims (according to some) experience orgasm while being raped.

(But FFS never mention that to some politicians. Apparently we have enough inane ones spouting off nonsense, about women not getting pregnant due to rape because they have a "natural defence" while clearly never hearing about the studies, that suggests some rapists apparently have an unerring instinct for targeting women who are at peak fertility).

Evolution bitches! Sometimes it is not pretty.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

I've come across this and still figuring it out...

[youtube]1HXd62oiUrI[/youtube]

Noelplum liked a youtube video about a young man's awkward threesome introduction has gone viral...I watched it...ho hum...then clicked on this beauty from the suggestion list.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:8 more posts for Batshit Benson today. Not even gonna bother with a word count. Does anyone know if she's ever done 10 or more?
Comradde PhysioPreppie has eight posts today - four or five of them are just embedded music videos.

I've been catching up on today's 'Pit posts, and I'd be peeing my pajamas laughing, if I weren't still somewhat dehydrated from a running club workout session in 80F+ temperatures this evening.

That's right ... 80F in early February, Northern Hemisphere. July, August, and September are going to be hell again this year.
Well! I certainly hope you aren’t going to suggest that global warming has anything to do with that! Harrumph!

Seriously though, for those who might still be a little skeptical or who are interested in seeing the effects, a segment from documentary on the ever diminishing glaciers which was featured on Jerry Coyne’s website:

[youtube]hC3VTgIPoGU[/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

And the next guest on The Angry Atheist podcast will be.....Paul Elam. The world just keeps on spinning around doin whatever the fuck it wants doesn't it? Some people would be better off accepting that fact in some instances..... but it is their life to live, or waste.

AnotherLurkerMkII

Post by AnotherLurkerMkII »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Grrr. Having a Twitter back-and-forth with Oolon. Clearly I'm a masochist. Oh, and his whole 5 months of Twitter experience clearly trumps my 5 *years*. Fucking idiot.
Clearly. I live a much happier life since I learned not to waste my time engaging with assholes who will never change their minds or ways through constructive discourse.
Yeah, I shouldn't have engaged him. The thing is, this little project of his will end up with people being suspended. And he's clearly too stupid to realize this.
I think you're falling prey to oolon's "play dumb" routine that he employed to great effect when posting here. I refuse to believe that the slimy shit doesn't realize that this bot (if by some rare miracle it gets widely used) will end in account suspensions. He's just playing stupid so when it doesn't happen he can bat his eyelashes and go "what, did little ol' me do that".
From what you say, this oloon guy looks like Aarfy from Catch-22.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I thought I'd leave this nugget here from A news reports http://anr.apartmentj.com/?p=894

http://twitpic.com/proxy/web15/img/7289 ... scaled.png

cunt

Post by cunt »

Finally, seeing as I am strongly suspecting all over the place, I also strongly suspect that something of the sort used to happen on a regular enough basis in the distant past, that it could possibly help to explain why as much as 20% of rape victims (according to some) experience orgasm while being raped.

(But FFS never mention that to some politicians. Apparently we have enough inane ones spouting off nonsense, about women not getting pregnant due to rape because they have a "natural defence" while clearly never hearing about the studies, that suggests some rapists apparently have an unerring instinct for targeting women who are at peak fertility).

Evolution bitches! Sometimes it is not pretty.
Riiiight.. and I suppose you've got something other than a strong suspicion that the female orgasm actually helps sperm to fertilise the egg?
Reap

And the next guest on The Angry Atheist podcast will be.....Paul Elam. The world just keeps on spinning around doin whatever the fuck it wants doesn't it?
Ask him about the purpose behind the "featured offenders" list on AVoiceForMen. That might actually be interesting.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Dan wrote:I thought I'd leave this nugget here from A news reports http://anr.apartmentj.com/?p=894

Ha ha ha ha! Now, that's funny, I don't care who you are. Right wing. Ha ha ha! Oh, my, I am so vaklempt. Talk amongst yourselves...

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Reap wrote:And the next guest on The Angry Atheist podcast will be.....Paul Elam. The world just keeps on spinning around doin whatever the fuck it wants doesn't it? Some people would be better off accepting that fact in some instances..... but it is their life to live, or waste.
I was just answering a question in the A Voice for Men comments where they featured my last video and the follow up.

That Atheism Plus decided to fuck with John the Other, resulting in MRAs and AVfM coming into the coalition of dissent against the baboons, is one of the most joyous of unintended consequences.

Dumbasses.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

That's beautiful Al.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Dan wrote:I thought I'd leave this nugget here from A news reports http://anr.apartmentj.com/?p=894

Holy shit, as a liberal person I wonder if the feeling I get from reading this what a moderate middle of the road common sense conservative thinks when they see Tea Party or religious right rhetoric? All this "you are the enemy" shit is pointless, and you think atheists would know better since we get this shit from the religious (moreso in the US than some of you from Europe and Australia).

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby wrote:
nippletwister wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Both her [Marcotte] and Jessica Valenti (another article writing feminist) have come out in favour of taking away the accused sex criminals' rights to be presumed innocence, meaning no evidence needed, and the victim's (always a woman) word will be all that's needed. Unlike the process for any other crime I can think of, where evidence is considered and questioning is allowed for a fair trial.
That just gives me the chills. Combine that desire with the absurdly loose definition of rape shitstains like these two subscribe to, and you have their idea of Utopia: a totalitarian radfem society where men can be arrested and tried under the presumption of guilt for any fucking thing a woman wants to call "rape".

I am genuinely surprised at how hard it is for people to see these things. I was complaining about issues like this when I still considered myself more or less a feminist. These days, it's part and parcel of the movement, whether the dumber ones realize it or not.
I don't think it's a matter of "dumber", I think it's more a matter of "uninformed". I've long considered myself a feminist, in that I think men and women should all have equal opportunity and all have equal rights. I figured that was pretty much the entire gist of feminism. It wasn't until fairly recently (within the last couple of years) that I started realizing just how deep the feminist rabbit-hole goes. As has been pointed out here, when most people think of "feminism" they think of a generic warm and fuzzy version of equity feminism, and are surprised to see just how vicious and inhuman feminism can be when seized by self-proclaimed social justice warriors.

My experience so far is similar to yours. I think I am going to start referring to myself as a 'humanist' from now on.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Anyone up for a Skype chat tonight can call me (ID buddhaglass).

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

I'm playing Lego Harry Potter Yrs 5-7 on my sexist XBox and just realized how sexist this game is. All the characters have virtually no powers unless they are holding a 10-12 inch cylindrical object (which in Lego is also fairly thick--- think carrot). I mean why doesn't the game just come out and say it, penis=power.

Or, it could just be a wand.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jan Steen wrote:Final episode of Pharyngula Primary School.

http://i.imgur.com/5SP3Li6.jpg
:lol:

I love them all, but the Pharyngula Primary School ones are my favorites.

Next favorites are the poor little zebrafishies.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

another lurker wrote:
Gumby wrote:
nippletwister wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Both her [Marcotte] and Jessica Valenti (another article writing feminist) have come out in favour of taking away the accused sex criminals' rights to be presumed innocence, meaning no evidence needed, and the victim's (always a woman) word will be all that's needed. Unlike the process for any other crime I can think of, where evidence is considered and questioning is allowed for a fair trial.
That just gives me the chills. Combine that desire with the absurdly loose definition of rape shitstains like these two subscribe to, and you have their idea of Utopia: a totalitarian radfem society where men can be arrested and tried under the presumption of guilt for any fucking thing a woman wants to call "rape".

I am genuinely surprised at how hard it is for people to see these things. I was complaining about issues like this when I still considered myself more or less a feminist. These days, it's part and parcel of the movement, whether the dumber ones realize it or not.
I don't think it's a matter of "dumber", I think it's more a matter of "uninformed". I've long considered myself a feminist, in that I think men and women should all have equal opportunity and all have equal rights. I figured that was pretty much the entire gist of feminism. It wasn't until fairly recently (within the last couple of years) that I started realizing just how deep the feminist rabbit-hole goes. As has been pointed out here, when most people think of "feminism" they think of a generic warm and fuzzy version of equity feminism, and are surprised to see just how vicious and inhuman feminism can be when seized by self-proclaimed social justice warriors.

My experience so far is similar to yours. I think I am going to start referring to myself as a 'humanist' from now on.
I use egalitarian, but it's much the same concept. Dawkins' Complaint and all that. (I.E. the problem with identifying with moderate stances under a label is that you empower the more radical stances under said label as well). What I'm waiting to see, is what's going to happen when more and more people stop thinking of feminism as that warm and fuzzy thing and start seeing the full depth of the rabbit hole? How are groups like A+ going to respond? Not very well, I think.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote: Riiiight.. and I suppose you've got something other than a strong suspicion that the female orgasm actually helps sperm to fertilise the egg?
Fuck if I really know offhand.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that during female orgasm, the cervix will dip into the pool of semen, and it will then suck up semen through the cervix and into the uterus, due to contractions of the said same uterus.

I am not an expert though so I could be wrong.

Nature can be a cruel bitch though, so it sounds plausible to me.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Karmakin wrote:
Snip

I use egalitarian, but it's much the same concept. Dawkins' Complaint and all that. (I.E. the problem with identifying with moderate stances under a label is that you empower the more radical stances under said label as well). What I'm waiting to see, is what's going to happen when more and more people stop thinking of feminism as that warm and fuzzy thing and start seeing the full depth of the rabbit hole? How are groups like A+ going to respond? Not very well, I think.

I don't really get people that are 100% on board with their labeled ideology. I'm fiscally moderate-conservative, but socially moderate with a slight left-ward lean. I'm registered Republican but wanted no part of the tea party or Herr Romney.

Ideologies are (IMHO) best when they're the narrowest. Secularism-separation of church and state. Humanism- all humans should have the same rights.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Steersman wrote: Seriously though, for those who might still be a little skeptical or who are interested in seeing the effects, a segment from documentary on the ever diminishing glaciers which was featured on Jerry Coyne’s website
It was really difficult to get a sense of scale, until he showed the graphic of lower Manhattan at the end.

I can't even talk to climate change deniers any longer, for more than a few minutes. Usually I just say, "Yes, I'm sure you know more about the subject than hundreds of environmental scientists, geophysicists, ecologists, plant biologists, and climate scientists. You're a phenom of scientific inquiry." I used to try to determine why they were so hell-bent on denying climate change, but now I don't even care to know, especially if I suspect an idiotic religious rationale.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:
Steersman wrote: Seriously though, for those who might still be a little skeptical or who are interested in seeing the effects, a segment from documentary on the ever diminishing glaciers which was featured on Jerry Coyne’s website
It was really difficult to get a sense of scale, until he showed the graphic of lower Manhattan at the end.

I can't even talk to climate change deniers any longer, for more than a few minutes. Usually I just say, "Yes, I'm sure you know more about the subject than hundreds of environmental scientists, geophysicists, ecologists, plant biologists, and climate scientists. You're a phenom of scientific inquiry." I used to try to determine why they were so hell-bent on denying climate change, but now I don't even care to know, especially if I suspect an idiotic religious rationale.
I periodically dip my toes into the waters over at RealClimate – fascinating reading, although the models and sciences are rather complex to say the least.

But one thing that I have been looking for or fiddling about on my own is a simple model of a bunch of ice in a pitcher of water with a heat-gun blasting away at it: relatively small increases in average temperature as long as there is still ice in the bowl. But once that’s gone then the temperature is going to increase rather quickly; because of the heat of fusion the relatively small changes in temperature masks the fact that a lot of heat is going into the system which will cause rapid system temperature changes once all of the ice is gone. Things could get rather toasty over the next hundred years.

But, in passing and relative to those deniers you referred to, Michael Shermer has some interesting discussions on them and other similar conspiracy theorists in his The Believing Brain; highly recommended.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

BarnOwl wrote: I can't even talk to climate change deniers any longer, for more than a few minutes.
Same with me for 9/11 truthers and conspiracy theorists in general.

Video recorded in February of 2008... sound quality sucks because of traffic noise.

[youtube]tdlUsY3GQog[/youtube]

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Mykeru wrote:
Reap wrote:And the next guest on The Angry Atheist podcast will be.....Paul Elam. The world just keeps on spinning around doin whatever the fuck it wants doesn't it? Some people would be better off accepting that fact in some instances..... but it is their life to live, or waste.
I was just answering a question in the A Voice for Men comments where they featured my last video and the follow up.

That Atheism Plus decided to fuck with John the Other, resulting in MRAs and AVfM coming into the coalition of dissent against the baboons, is one of the most joyous of unintended consequences.

Dumbasses.

This is a pretty good rundown in the comments from the above link:
Dean Esmay in reply to Dr. Tara J. Palmatier

It is a carnival of crazy that is almost impossible to keep track of. It started out with an offer of coffee in an elevator.

A community of people dubbing themselves the atheist/rationalist/skeptic community, most of them secular humanists, started something called The Amazing Meeting. The TAM people were loosely aligned with the Center for Inquiry, which is itself a merging of two groups back 20 years ago that were secular humanist and skeptical about claims of the paranormal.

Feminism became a hotbutton issue, as did supposed sexual harassment of women at conferences and misogyny in general. A coalescing group of people who thought skepticism/atheism was the wave of the future for an enlightened society schismed off and people began calling each other out as heretics.

One outgrowth of this schism was FreeThoughtBlogs, run by pseudoscientist (well, he has a real science degree, but…) PZ Myers, whose main claim to fame is the dubious distinction of fighting Creationists, which is about as hard and as productive as arguing with Fred Phelps. They were loosely aligned with a group called “The Skepchicks” which were women who claimed atheist conferences were full of stalkers and sexual harassers and rape threateners. Within FreeThoughBlogs was another group which included the group that accosted John the Other in his postering in Vancouver. Some of the same people were involved in the attempt to get Justin Vacula removed from the Secular Coalition for America because he was (A) skeptical of claims of mass harassment of women in atheist conferences and (B) once allowed AVfM to republish one of his blog posts and would not apologize for letting us do so.

It got more dramatic when one of the more popular and accomplished atheist/skeptic figures, ThunderF00t, was thrown off FreeThought Blogs for also being skeptical of these claims of mass rapey misogyny toward Rebecca Watson, the Skepchicks, etc. al.

PZ is still head of FreeThoughtBlogs. All these people form a little tight clique of ideological feminist/leftist people who don’t just argue with but viciously smear anyone who disagrees with them or even taunts them.

The Slymepit is a group of skeptics who kind of like making fun of them all.

That catch you up?

I’ll leave my extended opinions to myself except to say that these people have proven rather well to me that dogmatism, groupthink, and fascist Political Correctness are in no way shape or form phenomena unique to religion, and that if these people had any real power they’d probably be even more destructive than they already are.

comslave

Post by comslave »

If you want to make the skepchic community burn out a circuit, show them THIS:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/ ... ent-equal/

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Gasp! THE ANTICHRIST!

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Gumby wrote:

His little bot bot list has reached 50. At the turn of the hour it will be 51.
Secular_Steve so far = 2 listings. Soon to be 3 listings. :clap:
Sooo, that makes it (counting fingers......) 7 for me.
None have been suspended yet. Most are brand new accounts with just one tweet.

Oops, just checked. I got the hat-trick :dance:

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

comslave wrote:If you want to make the skepchic community burn out a circuit, show them THIS:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/ ... ent-equal/
That right there could pop off more than a few aneurysms if dropped in the right places. :lol:

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
acathode wrote:
Jack wrote:Kickstarter relies on the goodwill of people to get projects off the ground. In my opinion she abused that goodwill so far. She may come up with something that's great but I won't be holding my breath. At best she stopped her project from being taken up by someone who would have at least done something by now. She has probably closed that door for them.
As far as I see it, the ones who potentially are getting scammed are feminists who wanted to pay for propaganda that they could use to strong-arm their toxic brand of feminism into the gaming community. If Sarkeesian screw them over, I'm going to feel soooo sorry for them.... :roll:

Frankly, I view Sarkeesian as a blessing in disguise. She's managed to become "the gaming feminist" in the media, while being completely shit at what she does. Her videos are bad, with factual errors, sloppy research, and arguments so bad that a 14 year old schoolboy can tear them apart. Hell, unlike Sarkeesian, that 14 yo boy has probably actually played the game that she's spewing shit over, and can see exactly how full of crap she is. She and her videos are brim full of the sort of feminism that makes people go "Gosh, I thought feminism was just about equality, not this sort of bat-shit crazy stuff".

On top of that, she's extremely close to becoming the most famous scammer in video-game history, while simultaniously taking a dump on the very popular Kickstarter site. If I wanted to inoculate a generation of gamers against toxic feminism, I couldn't have thought up a better way to do it.
I don't agree with that. Her videos are pretty interesting and while sometimes get a bit preachy, they tend to avoid demonizing the people she is targeting. For example, her video about the Bechdel Test explicitly stated that trying to judge movies or their makers based on the test was a poor use. Instead, it should be used to look at Hollywood as a whole and the lack of important roles for women. It presented a point, argued it fairly and convincingly, and did a good job. I hope her video game series is equally as interesting.
Dude. Read this. Tell me what you think : http://unsolicitedcomment.wordpress.com ... pdel-test/

Michael K Gray

The Unbelievers Documentary

Post by Michael K Gray »

This may be of interest to PZ, because he appears to have been EXPELLED from the stellar cast list!
'The Unbelievers' follows renowned scientists Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss across the globe as they speak publicly about the importance of science and reason in the modern world - encouraging others to cast off antiquated religious and politically motivated approaches toward important current issues.

The film includes interviews with celebrities and other influential people who support the work of these controversial speakers, including:

Ricky Gervais
Woody Allen
Cameron Diaz
Stephen Hawking
Sarah Silverman
Bill Pullman
Werner Herzog
Tim Minchin
Eddie Izzard
Ian McEwan
Adam Savage
Ayaan Hirsi-Ali
Penn Jillette
Sam Harris
Dan Dennett
James Randi
Cormac McCarthy
Paul Provenza
James Morrison
Michael Shermer
David Silverman
...and more.
Trailer here:
[youtube]ZxDLkoK8vQQ[/youtube]

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Undisputed triple crown champion. Secular_Steve.
http://www.oolon.co.uk/?page_id=161
http://i.imgur.com/VvNEPJo.jpg

katamari Damassi

Re: The Unbelievers Documentary

Post by katamari Damassi »

Michael K Gray wrote:This may be of interest to PZ, because he appears to have been EXPELLED from the stellar cast list!
'The Unbelievers' follows renowned scientists Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss across the globe as they speak publicly about the importance of science and reason in the modern world - encouraging others to cast off antiquated religious and politically motivated approaches toward important current issues.

The film includes interviews with celebrities and other influential people who support the work of these controversial speakers, including:

Ricky Gervais
Woody Allen
Cameron Diaz
Stephen Hawking
Sarah Silverman
Bill Pullman
Werner Herzog
Tim Minchin
Eddie Izzard
Ian McEwan
Adam Savage
Ayaan Hirsi-Ali
Penn Jillette
Sam Harris
Dan Dennett
James Randi
Cormac McCarthy
Paul Provenza
James Morrison
Michael Shermer
David Silverman
...and more.
Trailer here:
[youtube]ZxDLkoK8vQQ[/youtube]
I hope he's not included in the "and more."

Incidentally the comments section of the post on this film at Aint it Cool News is full of butthurt christians who say that William Lane Craig kicked Dawkins' ass in a debate and now Dawkins' dodges him, and that there is much evidence to support theism, though the commentor doesn't produce that evidence.

katamari Damassi

Wait. Bill Pullman the actor is featured in this movie? Do you think they mean Phillip Pullman the author?

katamari Damassi

Wait. Bill Pullman the actor is featured in this movie? Do you think they mean Phillip Pullman the author?

Michael K Gray

Re: The Unbelievers Documentary

Post by Michael K Gray »

katamari Damassi wrote:Incidentally the comments section of the post on this film at Aint it Cool News is full of butthurt christians who say that William Lane Craig kicked Dawkins' ass in a debate and now Dawkins' dodges him, and that there is much evidence to support theism, though the commentor doesn't produce that evidence.
Christians are learning from Pharyngula about standards of non-evidence required to lie through their teeth.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

katamari Damassi wrote:Wait. Bill Pullman the actor is featured in this movie? Do you think they mean Phillip Pullman the author?
It's Bill Pullman, the actor, in the video.

Post by Guest »

Karmakin wrote:Let's call it for what it is. It's a DDOS (Distributed Denial of ServiceSanity) attack.
fixt

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Guest wrote:
Karmakin wrote:Let's call it for what it is. It's a DDOS (Distributed Denial of ServiceSanity) attack.
fixt
Let's just keep Tweeting it as Oolon maintaining a list of indispensable, must-follow Twitter accounts.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

rocko2466 wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
acathode wrote:
Jack wrote:Kickstarter relies on the goodwill of people to get projects off the ground. In my opinion she abused that goodwill so far. She may come up with something that's great but I won't be holding my breath. At best she stopped her project from being taken up by someone who would have at least done something by now. She has probably closed that door for them.
As far as I see it, the ones who potentially are getting scammed are feminists who wanted to pay for propaganda that they could use to strong-arm their toxic brand of feminism into the gaming community. If Sarkeesian screw them over, I'm going to feel soooo sorry for them.... :roll:

Frankly, I view Sarkeesian as a blessing in disguise. She's managed to become "the gaming feminist" in the media, while being completely shit at what she does. Her videos are bad, with factual errors, sloppy research, and arguments so bad that a 14 year old schoolboy can tear them apart. Hell, unlike Sarkeesian, that 14 yo boy has probably actually played the game that she's spewing shit over, and can see exactly how full of crap she is. She and her videos are brim full of the sort of feminism that makes people go "Gosh, I thought feminism was just about equality, not this sort of bat-shit crazy stuff".

On top of that, she's extremely close to becoming the most famous scammer in video-game history, while simultaniously taking a dump on the very popular Kickstarter site. If I wanted to inoculate a generation of gamers against toxic feminism, I couldn't have thought up a better way to do it.
I don't agree with that. Her videos are pretty interesting and while sometimes get a bit preachy, they tend to avoid demonizing the people she is targeting. For example, her video about the Bechdel Test explicitly stated that trying to judge movies or their makers based on the test was a poor use. Instead, it should be used to look at Hollywood as a whole and the lack of important roles for women. It presented a point, argued it fairly and convincingly, and did a good job. I hope her video game series is equally as interesting.
Dude. Read this. Tell me what you think : http://unsolicitedcomment.wordpress.com ... pdel-test/
Whoops. Didn't notice the date and commented on hornbeck's inanity. But it's a point: they do do that a lot, don't they? Distort meanings, put words into other people's mouths. I haven't spoken to many creationists, but I hear that's right up their alley. Strange they would resort to the same tactic, no?

Then again, it's not all that strange when you think about it. Old habits die hard.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Shameless promotion. If you ain't doing anything at showtime. It's a half-hour show.

http://www.alstefanelli.com/VORPromotional.jpg