Post by ReneeHendricks »

windy wrote:unintentional comedy is best comedy
myfinanciallife.png
ROFLMAO! Oh, that's priceless!

Pitchguest

Re: JV is bad, mmkay?

Post by Pitchguest »

Apples wrote:
Illuminata, Genie in the Beer Bottle wrote:Since his only motivation in going to WIS2 is to shit on the conference and further his derange misogynistic agenda, are the WIS organizers concerned at all about what he might do to get head pats from the AVFBigots? I would be. He’s going to deliberately try to start shit. He will absolutely try to upset and/or humiliate any of his favorite female targets or, pull of Steven Crowder and pretend that women attacked him and then show off his extremely edited video of being “attacked”.

Given that he writes for a misogynistic hate site, I can’t believe they’d even sell him a ticket. Exactly how does letting a deranged misogynist in making women want to be part of this movement, exactly?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... /target-2/
If they could ever provide proof of Justin's misogyny for once, that'd be swell.

BarnOwl

Re: his voice was probably vibrating with rage

Post by BarnOwl »

I'm sure assholes shout things at me when I'm running, but I can't hear them now because of my iPod + recently-purchased decent sports earbuds. If the asshole 1) lives in my neighborhood and 2) drives a huge pickup, SUV, or muscle car, then I might bestow one of my special stickers on their vehicle, while out running under cover of dark. The stickers read "Ask me about my TINY PENIS!"

Reminds me of the incident at the university swimming pool when I was in grad school: there was a guy who would pull down his Speedo and expose himself underwater when a women swam by in the next lane. I was asked whether I'd seen him expose himself, because I swam laps there 2 or 3 times per week. I replied, "I don't know - I don't wear my contact lenses while swimming and don't see particularly well without them, so if he exposed himself I couldn't really see anything."

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

welch

Re: context-denying rascals

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:
Minnie The Finn wrote:If Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey were eviscerated and their guts spread along the length of the Equator, it would be a nice start.
ChasCPeterson wrote:[Just a general heads-up: some of those context-denying rascals at the sl*mep*t are collecting pullquotes indicative of the 'violent fantasies' of FtB commenters. It's some kind of gotcha-hypcrisy thing, as usual. Bullshit but you should know.]

I will sign on enthusiastically to the last two, but Stiller gets a lifetime pass from me for this. ymmv.
Minnie The Finn wrote:Chas: thanks for the heads-up, I should be more careful. Luckily I haven’t crossed their radar yet, due to my general silence here lately. But a girl can dream…
Glad to oblige, Minnie :)

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... 1/#respond
Yeah, that's chas/Sven for you. Because WE are horrible quote-miners and THEY would never dream of such a thing.

Idiot.

welch

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote:
I'm sure assholes shout things at me when I'm running, but I can't hear them now because of my iPod + recently-purchased decent sports earbuds. If the asshole 1) lives in my neighborhood and 2) drives a huge pickup, SUV, or muscle car, then I might bestow one of my special stickers on their vehicle, while out running under cover of dark. The stickers read "Ask me about my TINY PENIS!"

Reminds me of the incident at the university swimming pool when I was in grad school: there was a guy who would pull down his Speedo and expose himself underwater when a women swam by in the next lane. I was asked whether I'd seen him expose himself, because I swam laps there 2 or 3 times per week. I replied, "I don't know - I don't wear my contact lenses while swimming and don't see particularly well without them, so if he exposed himself I couldn't really see anything."

People have yelled stupid shit at me when I'm running. My response if anything is to flip them off and keep going. Because clearly they are an idiot, so why give it much thought?

Well, there was the car full of high school jocks who, when I flipped them off, screeched to a halt and one leaned out the door and basically dared me to do that again. Shrug, okay, BOTH fingers, high and proud. The on in the passengers side made like he as getting out, and I stepped up, ready to play. Bluff called, teeny peeny closed the door and they drove off.

I have a female friend who handles assholes the same way. Cranks it up so everyone for five blocks knows what kind of a lickspittle the person bothering her is. They quickly leave. Funny how not projecting helpless works.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

A little context would be nice Steph, were you perchance near a construction site?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

welch wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

People have yelled stupid shit at me when I'm running. My response if anything is to flip them off and keep going. Because clearly they are an idiot, so why give it much thought?

Well, there was the car full of high school jocks who, when I flipped them off, screeched to a halt and one leaned out the door and basically dared me to do that again. Shrug, okay, BOTH fingers, high and proud. The on in the passengers side made like he as getting out, and I stepped up, ready to play. Bluff called, teeny peeny closed the door and they drove off.

I have a female friend who handles assholes the same way. Cranks it up so everyone for five blocks knows what kind of a lickspittle the person bothering her is. They quickly leave. Funny how not projecting helpless works.
Ive had shit shouted at me, cans and eggs thrown at me, car doors deliberately opened on me all while on my bike. If i catch them they tend not to do it again. Jumping off my bike and pulling a car door over till the hinges break is fucking satisfying.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I dont get it. Isnt Svan in MN? Its fucking freezing there right now. She *should* be wearing a hat. Its not like the dude said 'You should be wearing a paper bag' or 'You should be wearing proof of rabies vaccination'.

My favorite catcall story is from when I was in NE-- We had just gotten like 14 inches of show, but when you gotta work, you gotta work. So I put on like 47 layers of clothes and took the bus in (they were running a limited route that day, and fuck if I was driving in).

As I was walking to catch the bus home, a big ass pick-up drove by and catcalled me.

After a moment of stunned silence, I cracked up. I assumed it was a joke (no one is sexy with 47 layers of clothes on wading through the snow), I dont know how/if they could even tell I was a chick (I *was* wearing like two hats and a hood), and it gave me a good laugh when I was pissed off (going to work instead of staying warm at home with cocoa).

BarnOwl

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by BarnOwl »

jimthepleb wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Quick question: what would you turn a bakery into, knowing there are already 2 bakeries within 100 meters.
If it is city centre i would open one of 4 things:
Soft play area for kids (big profits, big outlay and requires a fair bit of space)
Fromagerie/Charcuterie (bakeries have excellent dry facilities for storage of cheese and dry meats)
Coffee shop with knitting/reading space/internet access (selling yarn and 2nd hand books.)
Sex shop/opium den (y'know do what you love) j/k-ish
I agree with the jimthepleb's "coffee shop with space" idea, though you could still have a bakery. The important thing would be to provide comfortable, flexible space for small groups of people to meet for an hour or more, and to consume your beverages and baked goods. Groups of knitters really appreciate such spaces, and they usually have a decent amount of disposable income. I would not try to sell yarn and needlework supplies ... I think that's a losing proposition, because so many knitters buy everything online. Plus you would really need to have an employee(s) who is an experienced knitter, to advise on patterns, amounts and weights of yarn, etc.

THe other groups of people you could target would be running and cycling clubs ... again, people with disposable income. They would definitely appreciate bakery items, and instead of/in addition to coffee, you could offer healthy fruit smoothies, with choices to add protein powders etc. The running club I belong to doesn't have access to anything like this, and we would certainly love such a place, especially after our Saturday morning workouts. Occasionally someone will buy breakfast tacos and have them at our start/finish site (a fitness store), but those are just too greasy for me to even contemplate after a long run.

I'll come work for you and make smoothies ... I'm really fed up with some of the assholes I work with.

decius

Post by decius »

jimthepleb wrote:
Ive had shit shouted at me, cans and eggs thrown at me, car doors deliberately opened on me all while on my bike. If i catch them they tend not to do it again. Jumping off my bike and pulling a car door over till the hinges break is fucking satisfying.
WTF. May I ask where you live?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Another of Anthony K's famed witticsms, which hitherto has fallen beneath notice: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 288#p62288
Apples wrote:
Minnie The Finn wrote:If Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey were eviscerated and their guts spread along the length of the Equator, it would be a nice start.
ChasCPeterson wrote:[Just a general heads-up: some of those context-denying rascals at the sl*mep*t are collecting pullquotes indicative of the 'violent fantasies' of FtB commenters. It's some kind of gotcha-hypcrisy thing, as usual. Bullshit but you should know.]

I will sign on enthusiastically to the last two, but Stiller gets a lifetime pass from me for this. ymmv.
Minnie The Finn wrote:Chas: thanks for the heads-up, I should be more careful. Luckily I haven’t crossed their radar yet, due to my general silence here lately. But a girl can dream…

Cheers! :lol:

jg64

Post by jg64 »

ERV wrote:
I dont get it. Isnt Svan in MN? Its fucking freezing there right now. She *should* be wearing a hat. Its not like the dude said 'You should be wearing a paper bag' or 'You should be wearing proof of rabies vaccination'.

My favorite catcall story is from when I was in NE-- We had just gotten like 14 inches of show, but when you gotta work, you gotta work. So I put on like 47 layers of clothes and took the bus in (they were running a limited route that day, and fuck if I was driving in).

As I was walking to catch the bus home, a big ass pick-up drove by and catcalled me.

After a moment of stunned silence, I cracked up. I assumed it was a joke (no one is sexy with 47 layers of clothes on wading through the snow), I dont know how/if they could even tell I was a chick (I *was* wearing like two hats and a hood), and it gave me a good laugh when I was pissed off (going to work instead of staying warm at home with cocoa).
Maybe they meant a racist hat.

And Abbie, laughing at the menz, like a chill girl or something. Oh wait, that kind of chill girl.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

There’s a link to that post at the slymepit at Almost Diamonds. How about you head over there and calmly tell them why they shouldn’t harass, make rape jokes, joke about throwing acid in a woman’s face, make disgusting photoshop images, draw things like Rebecca Watson bound, gagged and covered with semen, stating she’s an object available for two dollars and that they really shouldn’t toss around ‘bitch’ and ‘cunt’? Go ahead, we’ll wait. We’ve been waiting on this for quite some time.
I’m beginning to think that there must be another website, also called the Slymepit, where FTBorg people like Caine see all those horrible things she mentions here. After all, it can’t be that she is just lying through her teeth? Nah, can’t be. Such fine, honest people would never deliberately lie.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-556140

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

decius wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
England, near London...I used to cycle to work at 1am through the 'nice' area of town.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Stopped by the A+ forum for the first time in awhile, and found this: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3887

Now they're complaining about all the hoops one has to jump through to get SRS. Ironically, those hoops are there to catch people like Grimalkin who think being trans is a game and change their gender on a whim.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

So PZ retweets an executable he received...guess which noob arse clicks it...yup this noob arse. But shitsticks, how fucking irresponsible, took someone else to point it out to him.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Metalogic42 wrote:Stopped by the A+ forum for the first time in awhile, and found this: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3887

Now they're complaining about all the hoops one has to jump through to get SRS. Ironically, those hoops are there to catch people like Grimalkin who think being trans is a game and change their gender on a whim.
From what i can tell grimalkin is a 16/17 yr old which makes her ideally placed to be the mature mind over at A+ I find s/h/it's output painful to read. The 'song' s/h/it did was lulzy though. Especially the 'pleez doesn't haets on meeeee' disclaimer at the beginning.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Can anyone explain the asterisk that seems necessary to the word 'trans*'?

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

decius wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
I was riding my bike outside of Fresno, CA back in the '80s, when a car drove by and hit me in the head with a full beer can. I was wearing my helmet, but it knocked me off my ride. Fortunately, my martial arts training included the forward roll, so I hit the ground and rolled to my feet before my momentum took me into some bushes (scratched up a bit). Then a Sheriff's car pulls up and asked me if I was okay and I told them about the "assholes". So they gun it down the rode. When I caught up with them, they had 3 guys cuffed, one was bleeding. DUI, felony assault with a deadly weapon (beer can), open containers, speeding, resisting arrest (hence the blood), and assault on a police officer (all before 10 AM!). They should have charged them with littering too. Fines and jail time followed and I didn't have to testify other than onsite statement because they all plead out. Sometimes there are cops there when you need them.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Trans* is an umbrella term that refers to all of the identities within the gender identity spectrum. There’s a ton of diversity there, but we often group them all together (e.g., when we say “trans* issues). Trans (without the asterisk) is best applied to trans men and trans women, while the asterisk makes special note in an effort to include all non-cisgender gender identities, including transgender, transsexual, transvestite, genderqueer, genderfluid, non-binary, genderfuck, genderless, agender, non-gendered, third gender, two-spirit, bigender, and trans man and trans woman.

The origin behind the asterisk, as I understand it, is a bit computer geeky. When you add an asterisk to the end of a search term, you’re telling your computer to search for whatever you typed, plus any characters after (e.g., [search term*][extra letters], or trans*[-gender, -queer, -sexual, etc.]). The idea was to include trans and other identities related to trans, in the most technically awesome way.
http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/201 ... stand-for/

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Apples wrote:
Trans* is an umbrella term that refers to all of the identities within the gender identity spectrum. There’s a ton of diversity there, but we often group them all together (e.g., when we say “trans* issues). Trans (without the asterisk) is best applied to trans men and trans women, while the asterisk makes special note in an effort to include all non-cisgender gender identities, including transgender, transsexual, transvestite, genderqueer, genderfluid, non-binary, genderfuck, genderless, agender, non-gendered, third gender, two-spirit, bigender, and trans man and trans woman.

The origin behind the asterisk, as I understand it, is a bit computer geeky. When you add an asterisk to the end of a search term, you’re telling your computer to search for whatever you typed, plus any characters after (e.g., [search term*][extra letters], or trans*[-gender, -queer, -sexual, etc.]). The idea was to include trans and other identities related to trans, in the most technically awesome way.
http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/201 ... stand-for/
Ah thanks for that, it's been bothering me for a while and seemed to have broken my google-fu.

windy

Post by windy »

ERV wrote: My favorite catcall story is from when I was in NE-- We had just gotten like 14 inches of show, but when you gotta work, you gotta work. So I put on like 47 layers of clothes and took the bus in (they were running a limited route that day, and fuck if I was driving in).

As long as we're sharing (literally) chill girl stories, this one time when I was a student I was walking through the park one winter evening to get to the train station. It was about -15 C, so not too bad, except I come across this guy standing next to the path wearing nothing but a bra, garter belt and stockings. He asks if I want to watch him jerk off. I said no because it was too fucking cold to stand around and I had a train to catch! (there wasn't a lot to see anyway in that temperature) I always thought he must have lost a bet or something.

decius

Post by decius »

mordacious1 wrote:
I was riding my bike outside of Fresno, CA back in the '80s, when a car drove by and hit me in the head with a full beer can. I was wearing my helmet, but it knocked me off my ride. Fortunately, my martial arts training included the forward roll, so I hit the ground and rolled to my feet before my momentum took me into some bushes (scratched up a bit). Then a Sheriff's car pulls up and asked me if I was okay and I told them about the "assholes". So they gun it down the rode. When I caught up with them, they had 3 guys cuffed, one was bleeding. DUI, felony assault with a deadly weapon (beer can), open containers, speeding, resisting arrest (hence the blood), and assault on a police officer (all before 10 AM!). They should have charged them with littering too. Fines and jail time followed and I didn't have to testify other than onsite statement because they all plead out. Sometimes there are cops there when you need them.
Bloody hell, Mordy. I guess this type of encounters with seek-thrilling criminals, out to commit random acts of brutality, are bound to happen occasionally. But Jimmy made it sound as if it were open season on him or if he lived in Mad-Max land.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

AndrewV69 wrote:So over at Gene Expression Razib Khan throws down the gauntlet, bitch slaps the Cultural Anthropologists and gets medieval on their collective ass. No he does not mention pond scum like Laden but he does a number on the yahoos currently mobbing Jared Diamond (not that he aproves too much of him either).
I've always like Diamond. Another favorite of mine is Marvin Harris, who described himself as a "cultural materialist". To me it complements evopsych rather well.

I've been somewhat leery of cultural anthropologist since my Peace Corps days.
A friend of mine who was a real whiz with languages told me at the end of his tour: "I'm fluent in two of the local languages. I've lived in a village for two years. I still don't know what the hell is going on, so how is an anthropologist who doesn't speak the language and stays a couple of months able to write up a cultural study?"

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

What on earth does "genderfuck" mean?

Also, I thought "bigender" was some reference to Szvan till I realised it might be "bi-gender" (oh no, I have been crude, offensive and hurtful, where is our new safe space anyway?).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

You know, I had thought she was gone for good (stupid me for thinking this). That piece of shit Dawn Gordon is back. For those on Twitter, if you see https://twitter.com/real__renee show up on your timeline, block her. I'm just glad she hasn't hit this place. Actually, on second thought, it would be fucking hilarious if she did. I can only imagine the seven shades of ass ripping she'd get :D

katamari Damassi

windy wrote:
As long as we're sharing (literally) chill girl stories, this one time when I was a student I was walking through the park one winter evening to get to the train station. It was about -15 C, so not too bad, except I come across this guy standing next to the path wearing nothing but a bra, garter belt and stockings. He asks if I want to watch him jerk off. I said no because it was too fucking cold to stand around and I had a train to catch! (there wasn't a lot to see anyway in that temperature) I always thought he must have lost a bet or something.
Your reaction to that was all wrong. You were supposed to go home and curl up in a ball unable to function. Then you should apply for disability benefits because you who could work after such a trauma. Then you should blog about it always and forever because THAT'S ACTIVISM!
Sheesh. No wonder you couldn't cut it over at A+.

mordacious1

Open season

Post by mordacious1 »

decius

Oh, I got shit all the time riding my bike. My GF (now wife) once asked me why I carried my old steel pump instead of the new light weight one she had bought me. Weapon, it comes in handy. People would actually pull over, get out of their cars and want to fight because they thought I was "In their way". Once they saw that I was 6'1", 200 lbs of muscle (back then, some fat now), wearing a helmet and carrying a club they always backed down. But I had stuff thrown at me, was sworn at, threatened...one guy bumped me with his car on purpose and drove off. Bike was damaged, I just got a scratched knee. I loved riding in Europe, never once had a problem there (best country was France for road-politeness, despite their rep). Americans are a different breed, especially when they're safe in their cars.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

decius wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
Bloody hell, Mordy. I guess this type of encounters with seek-thrilling criminals, out to commit random acts of brutality, are bound to happen occasionally. But Jimmy made it sound as if it were open season on him or if he lived in Mad-Max land.
cycling to and from work in the dark and very early morning opens you up to all the local nutters who need a laugh.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Bike riding/riders: Where I'm at, the risk is usually toward oncoming traffic rather than the bicyclist. I've seen so many cars give entirely *too* much space for cyclists and nearly smashing into cars going in the opposite direction. Of course, I'm not in Seattle proper so that might not be the case there (I'm 20 miles south).

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

however much motorists hate cyclists, cyclists hate motorists more...they have the means to kill us. Now I drive cars, plant and tractors on rural roads i have horses and cyclists to deal with so its careful careful all the way.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

katamari Damassi wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So over at Gene Expression Razib Khan throws down the gauntlet, bitch slaps the Cultural Anthropologists and gets medieval on their collective ass. No he does not mention pond scum like Laden but he does a number on the yahoos currently mobbing Jared Diamond (not that he aproves too much of him either).
I've always like Diamond. Another favorite of mine is Marvin Harris, who described himself as a "cultural materialist". To me it complements evopsych rather well.

A friend of mine who was a real whiz with languages told me at the end of his tour: "I'm fluent in two of the local languages. I've lived in a village for two years. I still don't know what the hell is going on, so how is an anthropologist who doesn't speak the language and stays a couple of months able to write up a cultural study?"
I love Marvin Harris. Thankfully, he was the first anthropologist I ever read, and his ideas have stuck with me ever since. We humans really are at the mercy of our environment. I still have to check out Diamond's work...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

bhoytony wrote: What on earth does "genderfuck" mean?
Basically, people who fuck around with traditional notions of gender, and incorporate it into their identity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderfuck

Funny thing about all these politicised gender/sexual identities - I can't help but shake the idea that there's a real anoraky, hobbyist quality to it all. It really does seem to me that what these people are really trying to do is to make an interesting pastime out of what they are (especially if they're not all that interesting in the first place)

decius

Re: Open season

Post by decius »

mordacious1 wrote:decius

Oh, I got shit all the time riding my bike. My GF (now wife) once asked me why I carried my old steel pump instead of the new light weight one she had bought me. Weapon, it comes in handy. People would actually pull over, get out of their cars and want to fight because they thought I was "In their way". Once they saw that I was 6'1", 200 lbs of muscle (back then, some fat now), wearing a helmet and carrying a club they always backed down. But I had stuff thrown at me, was sworn at, threatened...one guy bumped me with his car on purpose and drove off. Bike was damaged, I just got a scratched knee. I loved riding in Europe, never once had a problem there (best country was France for road-politeness, despite their rep). Americans are a different breed, especially when they're safe in their cars.
Appalling.

decius

Post by decius »

[quote="jimthepleb"
cycling to and from work in the dark and very early morning opens you up to all the local nutters who need a laugh.[/quote]

Not here. I do that constantly, except for fun and not on my way to work. I prefer (urban) night rides because of the lack of traffic and lower summer temperatures. Never had a problem.

katamari Damassi

Metalogic42 wrote:Stopped by the A+ forum for the first time in awhile, and found this: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3887

SJW's in general are hostile to medical professionals. On the forums I've been to, pissing and moaning about how doctors just don't understand them and their problems is very common. Usually about it's about "fatphobia", or triggering, or modesty issues(seriously I remember one person complaining of not being able to find a doctor that would do a physical examination through her clothes). And besides, who are these people who have spent years of their lives devoted to rigorous study to tell them what's wrong?
Oh also throw in a few negative references to western medicine, and to big pharma.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

decius wrote:

Appalling.
Mykeru has a tale or two to tell. These days road cycling is an extreme sport.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Skep tickle wrote:I'm still musing over the variable response by the FtB/A+/Skepchick crowd toward different derogatory terms. Particularly interested that insults that call out some types of unprivileged status seem to get a pass, while others don't.

snip

Also there were those 2 examples, I think, of participation-policing of people for whom English was not their first language being told not to post; they weren't insults or derogatory terms but presumably demonstrated censuring that would have been jumped on if it were used against someone who lacked status on one of the many A+-approved axes, or (likely) if someone who wasn't "in" used it against someone who was. One was by maiforpeace at A+, and I forget where the other was, maybe Pharyngula.

Putting this together, it seems likely that these relatively well educated people who have English-as-a-first-language* and who have internet access are so focused on issues that affect them & people they know (particularly those related to femaleness, or really anything other than cis-maleness) or ones they've heard about as compelling (in women's studies classes or similar settings, sometimes) - they don't see dissing (a) intelligence/cognitive function and (b) English-as-a-subsequently-learned-language as problematic. In fact, they'll repeatedly tell someone to go back & read the "101" level I&A stuff, without regard to ability to access it, to literally read it, or to comprehend it. (Buying into it is a different matter; that part, they'll assume can be done, with enough repetition.) Not that I worry about people not being able to access or literally be able to read my posts, but then I'm not the one claiming to be all fired up about ensuring access for those disenfranchised, and to be not only recognizing but "checking" privilege wherever it might be found.
(*mostly, at least; I don't know about Jason, for example)

snip
Bolded mine. Which is ironic, because they went off on me for allegedly not catering to those with English as a second language. I guess, if one is not a member of the in-group, one can be accused of evil intent over all manner of things. They realy just make it all up as they go along...punish outsiders, stroke the egos of the insiders.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Jan Steen wrote:
There’s a link to that post at the slymepit at Almost Diamonds. How about you head over there and calmly tell them why they shouldn’t harass, make rape jokes, joke about throwing acid in a woman’s face, make disgusting photoshop images, draw things like Rebecca Watson bound, gagged and covered with semen, stating she’s an object available for two dollars and that they really shouldn’t toss around ‘bitch’ and ‘cunt’? Go ahead, we’ll wait. We’ve been waiting on this for quite some time.
I’m beginning to think that there must be another website, also called the Slymepit, where FTBorg people like Caine see all those horrible things she mentions here. After all, it can’t be that she is just lying through her teeth? Nah, can’t be. Such fine, honest people would never deliberately lie.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-556140

From that same comment stream:
Tony the Dancing Telegram Queer Shoop

8 February 2013 at 12:12 am (UTC -6)

The role of women in society??!!

Fuck that.
I hate that phrase.
Women have no “role”.
They have independence and freedom to choose for themselves what role they want to take. There are no predetermined roles.

As for a “ceasefire”, that’s a pathetic fucking request. No one on “our side” has done anything wrong.
We want harassment policies at conventions.
We want a world where women are not called cunts and bitches.
We want a world where women are not sexually harassed or threatened with violence or rape for expressing themselves wherever they choose.
We want a world where people of
any gender expression
any race
any sexuality
any ethnicity
any nationality
any religious belief or lack thereof
any age
any level of mental ability
any level of physical ability
ARE TREATED AS EQUALS.

Contrast that by the pitters.
Abbie Smith.
Thunderf00t.
Reap Paden.
Wooly Bumblebee
Justin Vacula.
and all the rest…
These people have engaged in a sustained pattern of harassment and bullying for years.
They hang on every word of PZ, Stephanie, Jen, Ophelia, Surly Amy, Greta, Rebecca and more.
They stalk them.
They photoshop images of them.
They call them cunts.
They call them bitches.
They dismiss their concerns of sexual harassment.

Whatever redeeming value these fucking scumbags have has not been on display yet.
I won’t other them.
I won’t call them monsters.
I won’t dehumanize them.

I will criticize them.
I will curse them.
I will not give one inch to them.
I will not compromise with them.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Tigzy wrote:Another of Anthony K's famed witticsms, which hitherto has fallen beneath notice: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 288#p62288
Apples wrote:

Cheers! :lol:
Thanks Tigzy! :D

katamari Damassi

decius wrote:

Appalling.
Yeah my country kind of sucks that way. When you combine the factors of most of our cities being designed to favor auto traffic, with the sense of entitlement many Americans are raised with it, it makes for a pretty hostile atmosphere for cyclists.

windy

Post by windy »

katamari Damassi wrote:

As a biologist I've had the same impression of cultural anthropologists 'in the field'. But in this case Razib may have gone off half-cocked (he admits as much in a later post), since some of the people he criticises are openly political activists, not cultural anthropologists.

I found the comments from tribal leaders interesting (I'm not saying that criticism from tribal leaders is any reason to dismiss Diamond's approach or accuse him of racism- they could just as easily be wrong or biased, but I'd give it a bit more weight than the fluff coming from cultural anthropologists):

http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/8958
Mr Diamond makes no mention of the brutality and oppression suffered by the people of West Papua at the hands of the Indonesian occupation since 1963, which has led to the killing of at least 100,000 Papuan tribal people at the hands of the Indonesian military.

Benny Wenda, a Papuan tribal leader, said to Survival, ‘What he (Jared Diamond) has written about my people is misleading (…) he is not writing about what the Indonesian military are doing (…) I saw my people being murdered by Indonesian soldiers and my own Auntie was raped in front of my eyes. Indonesia told the world that this was ’tribal war’ – they tried to pretend that it was us that was violent and not them – this book is doing the same. He should apologize.’

katamari Damassi

windy wrote: I found the comments from tribal leaders interesting (I'm not saying that criticism from tribal leaders is any reason to dismiss Diamond's approach or accuse him of racism- they could just as easily be wrong or biased
No they can't. That's racist!

Seriously, for an example google: Radiolab, Yellow rain.
Oppressed native people are never incorrect even when the facts are to the contrary.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

jimthepleb wrote:however much motorists hate cyclists, cyclists hate motorists more...they have the means to kill us. Now I drive cars, plant and tractors on rural roads i have horses and cyclists to deal with so its careful careful all the way.
Here is a little gift for Mykeru and all my other fellow cyclists:

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2013/01/13

I used a bike fo rmy primary transportation for many years and used to ride over 8000 miles a year just commuting. I would love to work close enough to home to get back into that routine - I was in the best shape of my life. My experienceswere generally OK with traffic, but the occasional asshole encounter is inevitabl ewhen you ride a enough. I was run off a road into a ditch once in Maine, and an idiot nearly did the same in NY, but I caught him in traffic and kicked off his rear view mirror (yeah, I lost it a bit after he nearly killed me, go figure). Paratrooper boots come in handy in the winter, though not your typical cycling wear!

These days I ride one of these:
ICE Vortex.png
(241.28 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

What's this about PZ's "pamphlet"? Anybody got a linky?

decius

Post by decius »

Zenspace wrote: These days I ride one of these:
The attachment ICE Vortex.png is no longer available
Nice. I'm more of a traditionalist. Mine is like this, but black.
chpveloce_bianca[1].jpg
(72.79 KiB) Downloaded 394 times

Matt

Post by Matt »

So, I wrote another post in Ophelia Benson's blog post about Mykeru today, in response to Ophelia's comments towards me, and she's deleted it. Typical... absolutely typical. Her intellectual dishonesty makes me fucking sick.

comslave

Post by comslave »

windy wrote:
decius wrote:I need a cup of rape.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... pedia3.JPG
I got engine work to do today, so I'm drinking a whole pot of rape just to get started.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Matt wrote:So, I wrote another post in Ophelia Benson's blog post about Mykeru today, in response to Ophelia's comments towards me, and she's deleted it. Typical... absolutely typical. Her intellectual dishonesty makes me fucking sick.
Yes, Ophelia is the craziest in the box of frogs. She's also a liar, manipulator, censoring, pretend-victim shitstain. If you ever post over there - SCREENCAP and DOCUMENT. Like I have always said, if you can get Ophelia onto neutral ground where she can't Stazi other commentators, we always fucking destroy her. That's why they always scuttle behind their own blogs where their stupid notions are safe from scutiny, facts, evidence and the truth.

PS - Is Ophelia STILL wondering why she keeps losing her friends and associates?

:lol:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Matt wrote:So, I wrote another post in Ophelia Benson's blog post about Mykeru today, in response to Ophelia's comments towards me, and she's deleted it. Typical... absolutely typical. Her intellectual dishonesty makes me fucking sick.
It was inevitable really. They have nothing but assertions. As soon as someone challenges them they run away by censoring. Skepticism, free thought and actually providing evidence is not something they have an interest in.

One of the primary issues with me is not their opinions but they way they shut down anyone that disagrees with them and then vilifies them after. It is the opposite of rational discourse which many of us cherish.

It is why I see them as a cult infecting the platform of rationalists to achieve their own ends.

Nice try though :)

windy

Post by windy »

katamari Damassi wrote:
windy wrote: As long as we're sharing (literally) chill girl stories, this one time when I was a student I was walking through the park one winter evening to get to the train station. It was about -15 C, so not too bad, except I come across this guy standing next to the path wearing nothing but a bra, garter belt and stockings. He asks if I want to watch him jerk off. I said no because it was too fucking cold to stand around and I had a train to catch! (there wasn't a lot to see anyway in that temperature) I always thought he must have lost a bet or something.
Your reaction to that was all wrong. You were supposed to go home and curl up in a ball unable to function. Then you should apply for disability benefits because you who could work after such a trauma. Then you should blog about it always and forever because THAT'S ACTIVISM!
That's why I haven't even tried to go there! But if I had made a big deal out of it, maybe I would have been condoning latent trans-phobia? Gotta be careful with these things...

I'm not saying I would have welcomed the invitation in any other conditions, it's just that in this case my immediate reaction wasn't "Watch you jerk off in public?? What the hell is wrong with you?", it was "Jerking off in public in this weather?? What the hell is wrong with you?"

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

OMG!! I wonder if Janine , Hallucinating Liar knows that someone has taken a picture of her and posted it on the Slymepit!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

windy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
windy wrote: As long as we're sharing (literally) chill girl stories, this one time when I was a student I was walking through the park one winter evening to get to the train station. It was about -15 C, so not too bad, except I come across this guy standing next to the path wearing nothing but a bra, garter belt and stockings. He asks if I want to watch him jerk off. I said no because it was too fucking cold to stand around and I had a train to catch! (there wasn't a lot to see anyway in that temperature) I always thought he must have lost a bet or something.
That's why I haven't even tried to go there! But if I had made a big deal out of it, maybe I would have been condoning latent trans-phobia? Gotta be careful with these things...

I'm not saying I would have welcomed the invitation in any other conditions, it's just that in this case my immediate reaction wasn't "Watch you jerk off in public?? What the hell is wrong with you?", it was "Jerking off in public in this weather?? What the hell is wrong with you?"

Thanks to your anecdote I now need counselling for possession of a disturbed mind. It was the thought of the 'issue' from his frenzied activity freezing mid stream and poking someone in the eye. Some imagery is best left unimagined.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

windy wrote:
ERV wrote: My favorite catcall story is from when I was in NE-- We had just gotten like 14 inches of show, but when you gotta work, you gotta work. So I put on like 47 layers of clothes and took the bus in (they were running a limited route that day, and fuck if I was driving in).

You two win the internets. I swear to Dog that was some funny shit. If I had not given up eating and drinking while reading the pit, my laptop would be covered in toast and coffee.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

another lurker wrote:I love Marvin Harris. Thankfully, he was the first anthropologist I ever read, and his ideas have stuck with me ever since. We humans really are at the mercy of our environment. I still have to check out Diamond's work...
Despite my previous comment on him, I still recommend Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Just remember to have some salt nearby when you read him, just like you would reading me or any other j.random.person you read on the internet.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Badger3k wrote:
I haven't read his stuff in year, after he posted some pretty racist shit. Has he gotten better or is he still a piece of shit? Just curious. FYI I think it's been about 6-10 years maybe - not sure when he started or when I picked up and read it, so it's been a long, long time.
Dunno what you are on about man without some specific link. But you should not forget that he is also a social conservative despite hanging out with mostly liberal progressives.

All I can do is hazard a guess is that depending on which side you fall under after reading the The Blank State by Pinker, or The Bell Curve, or Race and Intelligence by Rushton, then you may very well get a heart attack if you read Razib.

My bottom line, is that if Razib gives you an aneurism, then you probably have no business reading him at all.

You also probably do not have a deep enough understanding about the subject matter to have an opinion either (no offense meant) that Razib or others like Dienke, Hawks and that lot, or generally many of the people who comment would even bother to consider.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

katamari Damassi wrote: I've been somewhat leery of cultural anthropologist since my Peace Corps days.
Well, we had Louis visit us and apparently he knew everything there was to know about us, even before he visited.

So I imagine if it can not be too hard, especially if you have read a few of their hadiths, and anything by Deepak Chopra, and/or Carlos Castaneda, then you should be good to go.

/snark

Problem?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

More lies and rubbish from the comments thread at Ophelia's blag:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 7ee764.png

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 96cb62.png

Yep, just keep making that shit up, Ophelia. I'm one of "those people" and I've never punched anyone, human or non-human, in my entire life. Why are you so dishonest? Is it a socioeconomic privilege thing?

mordacious1

47 layers of clothes

Post by mordacious1 »

ERV, I think thin ladies wearing 47 layers of clothes are "hot'. Just saying.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

AndrewV69 wrote:
another lurker wrote:I love Marvin Harris. Thankfully, he was the first anthropologist I ever read, and his ideas have stuck with me ever since. We humans really are at the mercy of our environment. I still have to check out Diamond's work...
Despite my previous comment on him, I still recommend Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Just remember to have some salt nearby when you read him, just like you would reading me or any other j.random.person you read on the internet.
I've read three of Jared Diamond's books ('The Third Chimpanzee', 'Guns, Germs and Steel' and Collapse). I would happily recommend all three. I've always found him to make a very solid case, but with enough qualifiers before and after to leave the door open for revision as more information becomes available. He has updated his books - 'Guns, Germs and Steel' being an example - in later editions to accomodate new findings. He seems to actively search out the most reasonable explanations, making an effort to consider all sides of an issue - 'Collapse' being a good example as he considers the needs of economics versus ecologists and how trying to balance those considerations complicates many available solutions to environmental concerns.