Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
EdwardGemmer

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by EdwardGemmer »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Soooo. A setup where there are guest bloggers rather than a network of separate bloggers?
I don't know much about blog setups. That may be better - one site with articles rather than a bunch of different sites under a theme. If it is successful and expands and grows, it could always be split up later if some people blog very regularly.

Apples

Post by Apples »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Soooo. A setup where there are guest bloggers rather than a network of separate bloggers?
Good idea.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
I don't give two shits about Vancouver. I'm just amused by the fact that you don't seem to understand that Canada and the United States of America are, in fact, different countries. And they say us "merkins" are ignorant.
I'm well aware of the rather minor differences in culture between the two countries. I grew up in a border town. I think you're seeing things in my post which are not there. Perhaps that's a sign to cut back on the booze? Anywho... happy to provide you with some amusement. I live to amuse.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Submariner wrote:Angry_Drunk, do you need: (a hug), (a forcible), a (cop a feel), or a {bad touch} ???
Please stop blaming the victim.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Windy,

OK I take it back what I said about Neven Sesardić. Making Sense of Heritability is actually pretty accessible.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=3rinSZN ... &q&f=false

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
I don't give two shits about Vancouver. I'm just amused by the fact that you don't seem to understand that Canada and the United States of America are, in fact, different countries. And they say us "merkins" are ignorant.
I'm well aware of the rather minor differences in culture between the two countries. I grew up in a border town. I think you're seeing things in my post which are not there. Perhaps that's a sign to cut back on the booze? Anywho... happy to provide you with some amusement. I live to amuse.
A border town? What are you some sort of halfbreed?

Apples

who needs Harriet Hall when you have....

Post by Apples »

With luminaries like Rebecca and Carrie Poppy as featured speakers, the Women in Secularism Cons are sure to be milestones in the movement.

http://i.imgur.com/CxKWzwe.jpg

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Regarding the frequently expressed sentiment that "feminists" only want gender equality in "cushy" types of jobs:

http://www.stopcocks.co.uk/
There will come a time when any girl who wants to become a plumber or work in construction will know she can, as a direct result of the existence of Stopcocks Women Plumbers

Lapsang Souchong

Post by Lapsang Souchong »

Scented Nectar wrote: Even at this late date though, my father would still be pleased as kosher pig shit for me to start seeing a nice jewish boy and maybe pop out a kid before all my eggs dry up. Ain't gonna happen. No jewish-raised (or other types of) grandkiddies from me. I've got a couple of brothers passing along the family genes, and that's good enough for me.
Good thing your parents weren't like these.

[youtube]UaNRSZ-Ga-w[/youtube]

AbsurdWalls

Re: who needs Harriet Hall when you have....

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Apples wrote:With luminaries like Rebecca and Carrie Poppy as featured speakers, the Women in Secularism Cons are sure to be milestones in the movement.

http://i.imgur.com/CxKWzwe.jpg
[youtube]kNryxZhe7kA[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

EdwardGemmer wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
RACIST! I demand apologies and hugs!
I'm from Buffalo, NY.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

The study that Ophelia Benson posted about bullying struck a chord with me.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... #more-6759

The research found that people who were both bullies and victims of bullying had the most serious psychological problems as kids and also the most as adults. This certainly seems to show itself in our community, as quite a few people simultaneously claim to be (and have been) victims but have no problems verbally abusing other people. They also seem to have a lot of issues and some have stated they deal with mental illness. They tend to be the same people who have a very difficult time distinguishing their emotion from reality. Hmm. Warrants more investigation.

Apples

Re: who needs Harriet Hall when you have....

Post by Apples »

AbsurdWalls wrote: [youtube]kNryxZhe7kA[/youtube]
Like, totally.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

katamari Damassi wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
I'm from Buffalo, NY.
I cast "Wall of Entitlement." Now you owe me a hug.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok - enough interest has been put out there. So, I'm getting things going for a atheist/skeptic blog community. I grabbed http://atheismskepticism.com/ and will be working on a multiple blog CMS setup on my server this weekend (the domain doesn't point properly yet and does nothing at this point, FYI). Thanks for the feedback all! As soon as it's up and ready to go, I'll let you all know.
Neat. Seeing as I think almost every reply you got was from people saying "I would contribute occasionally" my suggestion would be to run it in a way where every "blogger" is a "guest-blogger" and then separate content by topic rather than by author (you could do it with tags e.g. Skepticism, Atheism, Drama). Seeing as the term "blog" usually means "repeated posts by the same author" you might even consider calling it something else, like an "online magazine" or something like that. That way you could treat regular bloggers (such as yourself, I would assume) as one "column" and the guest bloggers on particular topics as another "column".

You could even have a system where there is peer-review/editing by other authors before content gets pushed online. Just a few suggestions.
Seconded. Nothing worse than a FTB/SKeptic Ink landing page where most of the bloggers haven't contributed for a couple of months

decius

Post by decius »

Renee, I recently looked into precisely that format (for a bunch of people interested in web publishing) and found that Wordpress has some nifty dedicated magazine-like templates. There's also a plugin which greatly helps with issue-based publication.

On other platforms, web magazines are not so easy to set up.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?source=na ... a666427cea

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

decius wrote:Renee, I recently looked into precisely that format (for a bunch of people interested in web publishing) and found that Wordpress has some nifty dedicated magazine-like templates. There's also a plugin which greatly helps with issue-based publication.

On other platforms, web magazines are not so easy to set up.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?source=na ... a666427cea
That link looks like it's to a search of your email inbox. :?

decius

Post by decius »

Sorry, I'm tired.

http://issuem.com/

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok - enough interest has been put out there. So, I'm getting things going for a atheist/skeptic blog community. I grabbed http://atheismskepticism.com/ and will be working on a multiple blog CMS setup on my server this weekend (the domain doesn't point properly yet and does nothing at this point, FYI). Thanks for the feedback all! As soon as it's up and ready to go, I'll let you all know.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gu1wlAwdunU/T ... ellent.gif

decius

Post by decius »

Here is a selection of mag templates.

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/wordpres ... ne-themes/

katamari Damassi

EdwardGemmer wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
I'm from Buffalo, NY.
(((Edward)))
I cast "Wall of Entitlement." Now you owe me a hug.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

That sounds like a good idea.

Just remember, there has to be a FTB-style backchannel where we can say vicious things about other bloggers and plot to destroy our enemies.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Gumby wrote:

Just remember, there has to be a FTB-style backchannel where we can say vicious things about other bloggers and plot to destroy our enemies.
Oh and also a super secret forum for the super slymy commenters.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

AbsurdWalls wrote: You could even have a system where there is peer-review/editing by other authors before content gets pushed online. Just a few suggestions.
Or, hire PZ's editor to do it. We'd have one article published every six years or so.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Submariner wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Oh and also a super secret forum for the super slymy commenters.
Yes, unless I'm not a member, in which case I'll expose you all for the secretive cliquish cunts you are.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Phil - I'd love it if you were there as well :D Now my biggest challenge is figuring out which CMS is best for a multiblog setup. Not a huge fan of Wordpress (though, I have that set up for my kids - just 'cuz it's easier for them). Any suggestions all?

Movable Type is designed around this, although the install and setup is tedious as fuck.

Once nice thing, by default, all pages are static. So fewer performance issues there. If you're going to do comments, for the love of cthulu, outsource that shit. Disqus is a good option.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

bhoytony wrote:Today I managed to overcome my Chris Mooney gag-reflex in order to listen to Steven Pinker on the Point of Interest podcast. You had all better get ready because Ophelia is going to go apeshit, she's probably writing an angry blog ripping into Pinker right now.
He was discussing violence and said that there wasn't much difference between the sexes when it came to something like a head of state waging war in the defence of their country's best interests. He then said:

"Fights over a parking space, road rage, fights over a pool table, fights over national honour where nothing is at stake except national honour, campaigns of bloodthirsty conquest and insane wars of aggression, it looks like that's more of a guy thing."

After seeing how she went tonto on Shermer I'm pretty sure she's now going to do her dinger with Pinker and demand that he admits that women are violent, bloodthirsty arseholes just like men. Let me know when she posts her blog about this.
Yes, I'm sure she'll blog about that any century now.

Interestingly, when I was a bartender, the most violent fights were always amongst the women.

welch

Post by welch »

Reap wrote:
welch wrote:
JAB wrote:
welch wrote:
JAB wrote:He Renee, I have an idea for your blog network. A blogless comment section. A few of them actually. Call one of them Fitzpharangula and let it be a place for unmoderated comments on whatever is going on at pharangula that day, and Fitzalmostdiamonds etc. A bit more focused than this place, maybe. Wouldn't it be funny if it became the "comment section of record" for the fftbs. Might cut into their traffic a bit... oh well.

you mean...a forum?
I guess it could be done here, yeah. But I thought that if she's hosting blogs this could be a sideline, since it's blog related, although not to the particular blogs she hosts. Might generate some traffic for the other blogs.
Google is good at that, so is cross-linking, but if they're all on the same site, then Google cares much less.
Hey Welch what if you are picking up the RSS feed. Does google count that as cross-linking? Or does the link need to be in the text of the blog? What counts as cross-linking I guess is my question
If you want the most google bang for your buck, aggregation sites are not the way to go. A lot of separate sites that link to each other tend to be better. The more separate sites that link to you and vice-versa, the more google juice you get. (THIS IS HIGHLY SIMPLIFIED! Actual legit SEO is somewhat complicated, but done right, yields great benefits.) This, and other issues are why I tend to not be a big fan of them.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

acathode wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Ericb wrote:Irish monument too ‘phallic’ to share park with Montreal Massacre memorial, opponents say

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/19 ... nents-say/
The problem isn't with the original plans.

http://i.imgur.com/X2SM6zd.jpg

It's to do with the Guinness sponsored version.

http://i.imgur.com/tOBXEW2.jpg
From that article
“Placing the [Ireland Canada Monument] design 80 feet from the women’s monument, which has vulva shapes engraved in the top of each of the 14 sarcophagi forms, is inappropriate and will be seen to be a violation by supporters,” wrote Chris McDowell, an activist and second-generation Irish Canadian who led a seven-year campaign to build the Marker of Change.
Just... What. The. Fuck?! Obsessed with genitalia much? And here I thought reducing people down to their sex was bad?! Apparently it's totes ok if you do it to murder victims though?

Fuck, if I was horribly murdered and some loon decided to build a monument over me and decorate it with a giant cock, and then place it in a public park, I think I'd rise from my grave just to give punch him in his face.

As the last sick twist, judging by the pictures, rainwater tend to pool in the engraved vaginas. Making the monument for Lepine's victims in practice 14 sarcophages with wet vaginas... Just who the hell thought that this monument was a good idea?!

You've got to remember that these are just simple feminists. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Submariner wrote:Wow, Zinnia Jones latest blog.
There is room for experimentation here.

So, what could this mean for cis people who don’t believe the sex of their body is important to them? Is there a way for them to put their money where their mouth is? Might we be able to show them, in some small but concretely biological fashion, what it’s like to be trans? Ozy noted that we can’t really go around covertly giving cis men HRT for trans women to see how it affects them. But I think we could circumvent most of these concerns if they agree to it first.
Theoretically I'd be interested in that - I'm pretty sure my gender's not important to me in the slightest, but I doubt I'd want to be a man because a) I'm 100% certain that women get a better deal out of life in virtually every way and b) I'd be a *short* man, and I just don't think I could accept that. (I'm also a leetle worried because I'm fairly aggressive and swear a lot, and I realise my gender probably lets me get away with a fuck load of behaviour that would not be considered "socially appropriate" from a man.) Of course currently pregnant with twins so it's not like I could do any hormone shit. But I'd be interested in an experiment if one was ever done that involved that sort of thing.

welch

Post by welch »

Well, it depends. Do you want a lively comment section? If so, then Wordpress - style CMSs are a better idea. Do you want people to be able to link and share to you easier, with a comment option? Tumblr is the way to go.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

I've hesitated to weigh in on the YetAnotherAtheistBlogNetwork discussion since I'm unlikely to contribute. But I have to agree with the suggestions of a single blog with multiple authors based on the number of people who've stated they would only contribute occasionally. I can tell you from hard experience that the single greatest impediment to gaining and keeping an audience is infrequent updates. If you're all spread around a dozen different infrequently-updated blogs the place is going to rapidly resemble a ghetto.

welch

Post by welch »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
I don't know much about blog setups. That may be better - one site with articles rather than a bunch of different sites under a theme. If it is successful and expands and grows, it could always be split up later if some people blog very regularly.
If you want a functional aggregation model, then Ars Technica is a good one. They really function more as a magazine than whatever the fuck FTB/SiN/Patheos are. They have an overall theme: "We're a technical site about the computer industry", and a set of writers who talk about different aspects of that. They have occasional freelancers. But they are fundamentally a magazine.

Their home page is set up really well for what they do, they sell ads based on that, and seem to be rather profitable. I can say that the two articles I wrote for them paid well.

If you're going to use that model, then you need to pay a LOT of attention to the home page design, because that's critical.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

nippletwister wrote:
acathode wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Ericb wrote:Irish monument too ‘phallic’ to share park with Montreal Massacre memorial, opponents say

From that article
“Placing the [Ireland Canada Monument] design 80 feet from the women’s monument, which has vulva shapes engraved in the top of each of the 14 sarcophagi forms, is inappropriate and will be seen to be a violation by supporters,” wrote Chris McDowell, an activist and second-generation Irish Canadian who led a seven-year campaign to build the Marker of Change.
Just... What. The. Fuck?! Obsessed with genitalia much? And here I thought reducing people down to their sex was bad?! Apparently it's totes ok if you do it to murder victims though?

Fuck, if I was horribly murdered and some loon decided to build a monument over me and decorate it with a giant cock, and then place it in a public park, I think I'd rise from my grave just to give punch him in his face.

As the last sick twist, judging by the pictures, rainwater tend to pool in the engraved vaginas. Making the monument for Lepine's victims in practice 14 sarcophages with wet vaginas... Just who the hell thought that this monument was a good idea?!

You've got to remember that these are just simple feminists. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.
Love the Blazing Saddles reference!

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Phil - I'd love it if you were there as well :D Now my biggest challenge is figuring out which CMS is best for a multiblog setup. Not a huge fan of Wordpress (though, I have that set up for my kids - just 'cuz it's easier for them). Any suggestions all?

Movable Type is designed around this, although the install and setup is tedious as fuck.

Once nice thing, by default, all pages are static. So fewer performance issues there. If you're going to do comments, for the love of cthulu, outsource that shit. Disqus is a good option.
I have noticed that Disqus seems to have "won" and is now ubiquitous. One example would be the New Statesman who switched to it very shortly after investing in a custom solution during a site redesign. Side note: the shortly-lived bespoke version of their website wanted you to give it your Gmail login details so it could helpfully access your email account. Yeah... not gonna happen.

Renee: I can think of at least a couple of articles that I could contribute. For one of them I would need an interlocutor though.

welch

Post by welch »

nippletwister wrote:
acathode wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

From that article

Love that line.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
If you want a functional aggregation model, then Ars Technica is a good one. They really function more as a magazine than whatever the fuck FTB/SiN/Patheos are. They have an overall theme: "We're a technical site about the computer industry", and a set of writers who talk about different aspects of that. They have occasional freelancers. But they are fundamentally a magazine.

Their home page is set up really well for what they do, they sell ads based on that, and seem to be rather profitable. I can say that the two articles I wrote for them paid well.

If you're going to use that model, then you need to pay a LOT of attention to the home page design, because that's critical.
Ars is a good example. Other examples of multi-author blogs that are less "journaly" and more "bloggy" are www.tuaw.com & www.loopinsight.com

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:Apropos something or other, I wonder how long it is before unsolicited internet hugs become categorised as sexual assault, since going to a website and reading disagreement of one's opinion is already considered bullying and harrassment?

(((Richard)))
That's why they always preface the hugs with a "hugs if wanted", so they don't trigger anyone.
It's always made me want to post this to someone:

(((FORCIBLE)))

(((and with gentle cheek tweak)))

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

If you're setting up the site I can help with identifying accessibility issues/putting together basic accessibility guidelines for bloggers.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:Wow, Zinnia Jones latest blog.
There is room for experimentation here.

So, what could this mean for cis people who don’t believe the sex of their body is important to them? Is there a way for them to put their money where their mouth is? Might we be able to show them, in some small but concretely biological fashion, what it’s like to be trans? Ozy noted that we can’t really go around covertly giving cis men HRT for trans women to see how it affects them. But I think we could circumvent most of these concerns if they agree to it first.
Theoretically I'd be interested in that - I'm pretty sure my gender's not important to me in the slightest, but I doubt I'd want to be a man because a) I'm 100% certain that women get a better deal out of life in virtually every way and b) I'd be a *short* man, and I just don't think I could accept that. (I'm also a leetle worried because I'm fairly aggressive and swear a lot, and I realise my gender probably lets me get away with a fuck load of behaviour that would not be considered "socially appropriate" from a man.) Of course currently pregnant with twins so it's not like I could do any hormone shit. But I'd be interested in an experiment if one was ever done that involved that sort of thing.
The STATED qualifiers from ZJ about not being a medical professional and all that are ok, but it looks like the undertone of what s/h/it is saying is : " You can get the hormones without seeing a doctor, so if you want to try it, go ahead."

Now, I'm not a doctor but I think it's irresponsible to start a regimen of opposite sex hormones "just to try it". If any doctors are in the house, I would of course defer to their knowledge.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Submariner wrote:...
Now, I'm not a doctor but I think it's irresponsible to start a regimen of opposite sex hormones "just to try it". If any doctors are in the house, I would of course defer to their knowledge.
A male friend of mine took an emergency hormonal contraceptive pill once and then he threw up.

/lived experience

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
welch wrote:

I have noticed that Disqus seems to have "won" and is now ubiquitous. One example would be the New Statesman who switched to it very shortly after investing in a custom solution during a site redesign. Side note: the shortly-lived bespoke version of their website wanted you to give it your Gmail login details so it could helpfully access your email account. Yeah... not gonna happen.

Renee: I can think of at least a couple of articles that I could contribute. For one of them I would need an interlocutor though.
Can I see the anti-harassment policy? :D

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Submariner wrote:
rayshul wrote:Theoretically I'd be interested in that - I'm pretty sure my gender's not important to me in the slightest, but I doubt I'd want to be a man because a) I'm 100% certain that women get a better deal out of life in virtually every way and b) I'd be a *short* man, and I just don't think I could accept that. (I'm also a leetle worried because I'm fairly aggressive and swear a lot, and I realise my gender probably lets me get away with a fuck load of behaviour that would not be considered "socially appropriate" from a man.) Of course currently pregnant with twins so it's not like I could do any hormone shit. But I'd be interested in an experiment if one was ever done that involved that sort of thing.
The STATED qualifiers from ZJ about not being a medical professional and all that are ok, but it looks like the undertone of what s/h/it is saying is : " You can get the hormones without seeing a doctor, so if you want to try it, go ahead."

Yeeeees that's a bit cray-cray. I guess I'm thinking more about the principle of the research and shit. Rather than "let's take hormones yey".

decius

Post by decius »

some clueless twat wrote: Now, I'm not a doctor but I think it's irresponsible to start a regimen of opposite sex hormones "just to try it". If any doctors are in the house, I would of course defer to their knowledge.
This is possibly the single most insane line they have produced thus far.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Can I see the anti-harassment policy? :D
Sure. Here it is: Try not to be a cunt.

decius

Post by decius »

Forgive me, Submariner, I meant to quote the original line.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

decius wrote:
some clueless twat wrote: Now, I'm not a doctor but I think it's irresponsible to start a regimen of opposite sex hormones "just to try it". If any doctors are in the house, I would of course defer to their knowledge.
This is possibly the single most insane line they have produced thus far.

Well, like I said it's not so much what s/h/it SAYS...

It's like telling someone about a street drug. You say to them: "Hey, I'm not recommending you take _____, but you can buy it over there on 3rd street, and it would be interesting to see how it makes you feel."

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

decius wrote:Forgive me, Submariner, I meant to quote the original line.
No apology needed. I groked you.

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:If you're setting up the site I can help with identifying accessibility issues/putting together basic accessibility guidelines for bloggers.
That would be a really cool idea. In fact, if you know of a good, easy to follow checklist for people who want to be sure existing stuff is "accessibility good", links would be quite welcome.

decius

Post by decius »

Submariner wrote: It's like telling someone about a street drug. You say to them: "Hey, I'm not recommending you take _____, but you can buy it over there on 3rd street, and it would be interesting to see how it makes you feel."
That kind of irresponsible approach to psychotropic substances would still make some sense at some benighted level, but invitations to gender-surfing in order to validate some whiny cunt's feelings none whatsoever.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:If you're setting up the site I can help with identifying accessibility issues/putting together basic accessibility guidelines for bloggers.
That would be a really cool idea. In fact, if you know of a good, easy to follow checklist for people who want to be sure existing stuff is "accessibility good", links would be quite welcome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(web_ ... essibility
Lynx? :P

Apples

derp

Post by Apples »

Rebecca, a day late and a dollar short, as usual.
Twatson wrote:In my defense, I had a pretty shit day yesterday. The kind of day that was so shit, it could not be made happier by writing a new Bad Chart Thursday, which has quickly become one of my favorite features on Skepchick. No, it was the kind of day that could only be made better by playing hours and hours of FTL. Yes, I know I’ve already beaten it on the hardest setting (the innocent-sounding “Normal”), but I have yet to unlock the Crystal Ship, the final ship that has yet to be unlocked. So, I must continue playing it until I get it, real life be damned.

When I woke up with an FTL hangover today, I realized first that I had missed Bad Chart Thursday and second that I had spent the bulk of my Thursday on a game that cost me $5, while two games that cost me $40 have been virtually untouched for a month despite the fact that I believe I am moments from beating them (Borderlands 2 and Dishonored). This convinced me that there must be an inverse relationship between the amount of money I pay for a game and how long I spend playing it. Of course, as a skeptic I couldn’t be sure until I made a chart.
http://skepchick.org/2013/02/bad-chart- ... y-edition/
http://www.freezepage.com/1361568795LVGMNCLQJH

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

decius wrote:
Submariner wrote: It's like telling someone about a street drug. You say to them: "Hey, I'm not recommending you take _____, but you can buy it over there on 3rd street, and it would be interesting to see how it makes you feel."
That kind of irresponsible approach to psychotropic substances would still make some sense at some benighted level, but invitations to gender-surfing in order to validate some whiny cunt's feelings none whatsoever.
If only Dr. Col. Harriet Hall were a 'pitter, we could ask her. <sigh>

AbsurdWalls

Re: derp

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Apples wrote:Rebecca, a day late and a dollar short, as usual.
Twatson wrote:In my defense, I had a pretty shit day yesterday. The kind of day that was so shit, it could not be made happier by writing a new Bad Chart Thursday, which has quickly become one of my favorite features on Skepchick. No, it was the kind of day that could only be made better by playing hours and hours of FTL. Yes, I know I’ve already beaten it on the hardest setting (the innocent-sounding “Normal”), but I have yet to unlock the Crystal Ship, the final ship that has yet to be unlocked. So, I must continue playing it until I get it, real life be damned.

When I woke up with an FTL hangover today, I realized first that I had missed Bad Chart Thursday and second that I had spent the bulk of my Thursday on a game that cost me $5, while two games that cost me $40 have been virtually untouched for a month despite the fact that I believe I am moments from beating them (Borderlands 2 and Dishonored). This convinced me that there must be an inverse relationship between the amount of money I pay for a game and how long I spend playing it. Of course, as a skeptic I couldn’t be sure until I made a chart.
I've never read skepchick, so that feature was news to me.
The horizontal axis is amount spent on the game and the vertical axis is hours spent on the game
I wonder whether she knows that there's a way of making graphs that means you don't need to SAY that.

I have a bit of an OCD issue regarding graphs so I am actually a bit tempted to make a nice version of that one with labelled axes and pictures of the box art for each game replacing the data points.

I have emailed journalists before with "good" versions of shitty graphs they have put in their online posts and a suggestion they might want to use them as a replacement. It might be a problem that I have.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Also, Watson must be 100x better at FTL than I am because I can't even beat that fucker on "Easy".

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Submariner wrote:Zinnia, next paragraph:
I must point out that I’m in no position to give medical advice, and nobody should start taking any kind of medication like this without the appropriate supervision and a full awareness of its possible risks. That being said, it would be surprisingly easy for cis guys to obtain HRT for trans women without once seeing a doctor. While testosterone is a controlled substance, limiting the options for trans men or curious cis women, estrogen and anti-androgens are not. They’re not over-the-counter, but they can be purchased from overseas at a rather low cost. There are even places where you can order the necessary blood tests to ensure that it’s safe for you.
You know, I quite like tits.
In fact, I love tits!
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm10 ... h_tits.gif

That said, I don't really want to grow my own.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Submariner wrote:
decius wrote:

Call me a skeptic, but I don't think one needs a doctor to tell you that starting a course of HRT outside of a medical setting is not a smart thing to do. What kind of self hating person would do such thing? What kind of self hating person would advise others to do so? This reeks of radfem 'inject all males with estrogen' craziness.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Re: derp

Post by ERV »

Apples wrote:Rebecca, a day late and a dollar short, as usual.

Jesus Christ, that woman is a loser.

Apples

Post by Apples »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Also, Watson must be 100x better at FTL than I am because I can't even beat that fucker on "Easy".
Have you tried playing it for days at a time while neglecting to do any preparation for upcoming speeches or any work for the website you run?

Of course "Bad Graph Thursday" is Rebecca's favorite thing she invented a month ago -- it's hilariously ironic to subvert the natural interpretation of such a feature at a skeptic site (showing how graphs can be used to distort science/news stories/whatever) .... so you just use a joke graph that you make up yourself .... and because it's a "bad graph" you don't have to put any work into it whatsoever! Which suits Rebecca just fine, as she is quite possibly the laziest and least intellectually ambitious person in the skeptical movement.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Submariner wrote:
decius wrote:

Call me a skeptic, but I don't think one needs a doctor to tell you that starting a course of HRT outside of a medical setting is not a smart thing to do. What kind of self hating person would do such thing? What kind of self hating person would advise others to do so? This reeks of radfem 'inject all males with estrogen' craziness.
Agreed, as I said in the top post of this page.