Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
SenorBeagle

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by SenorBeagle »

Also, I forgot to say something: daaaaaaayum, congrats on the twins, rayshul! You're making up the quote to mitigate against my resolute refusal (or opportunity, let's be honest) to spawn... :P

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Submariner wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Submariner, did you post on those recent Radford pieces at CFI?

I think EBW simply listed the Pitters, or as she calls them, the SPhaters, who had commented over there.
Commander, please report to Engineering immediately.

I could care less if I'm listed by the SJW crowd. Was trying to: a) be sarcastic b) insult Vacula
Humour and sarcasm fail. Nice one! You're on a roll today. Keep 'em coming.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Er, quota, not quote.

Never mind an edit button, my kingdom for a proofreader...

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

LadyChillax wrote:
submariner wrote:I just want to say....that avatar gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Sorry to skeeve you out - somehow it expresses my inner 'pitter - and all the angst I feel around these issues . . . BTW, I really enjoy your videos!

Re: twins - It is hard to prepare, even psychologically. Be prepared to go with the flow. Mine were kids #3 and 4 - they were great babies. I called them my potted plants. It was from their first birthday to their fourth birthday that were the devil years.
Thanks.

Oh and welcome, sincerely.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Jack wrote:
Submariner wrote:Wait a damned minute, here! Vacula makes the top of list and I get not so much as a " How do you do?"
You don't have a misogynist moustache for extra cred. Having said that I think his eloped with a dead slug.
Whilst I am not an expert slug-balancer Blackadder, I did once sport a spankingly attractive misogy-moustache, circa 1985:
a0087.jpg
(146.68 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

Reap

Post by Reap »

LadyChillax wrote:
submariner wrote:I just want to say....that avatar gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Sorry to skeeve you out - somehow it expresses my inner 'pitter - and all the angst I feel around these issues . . . BTW, I really enjoy your videos!

Re: twins - It is hard to prepare, even psychologically. Be prepared to go with the flow. Mine were kids #3 and 4 - they were great babies. I called them my potted plants. It was from their first birthday to their fourth birthday that were the devil years.

I find it comforting

Slither

Re: Jim'll Fuck It

Post by Slither »

Michael K Gray wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:EllenBeth and the rest of the Baboons do have this strange obsession with rape, don't they.
I reckon a lot of them fantasise about it. Sometimes the fantasies involve porcupines, as well.
I expect that a handful of them fantasize about being effective, competent, acheiving, and ground-breaking.
Fiction, of course.
Actually, I suspect that that's wrong: they fantasize about being recognized as being effective, competent, achieving, and so forth. Actually being effective, competent, etc, not so much. They are after the glory, not the reality.

franc

Post by franc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Submariner, did you post on those recent Radford pieces at CFI?

I think EBW simply listed the Pitters, or as she calls them, the SPhaters, who had commented over there.
Indeed she did. Which is funny because we're the "stalkers", yet she manually made a list of heretical commenters, then came over here to manually cross reference and compile her list.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Michael K Gray

Re: Jim'll Fuck It

Post by Michael K Gray »

Slither wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:EllenBeth and the rest of the Baboons do have this strange obsession with rape, don't they.
I reckon a lot of them fantasise about it. Sometimes the fantasies involve porcupines, as well.
I expect that a handful of them fantasize about being effective, competent, acheiving, and ground-breaking.
Fiction, of course.
Actually, I suspect that that's wrong: they fantasize about being recognized as being effective, competent, achieving, and so forth. Actually being effective, competent, etc, not so much. They are after the glory, not the reality.
Too true, Mlle. slither. Too true.
There I go (again) being overly charitable toward their intrinsic lethargy & sloth.

LadyChillax

Post by LadyChillax »

Reap wrote:I find it comforting
You make me want to surprise hug you.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Submariner wrote:Abbie, did you see the discussion re: Zinnia Jones blog about "gender surfing"? Any thoughts on the unsupervised taking of opposite sex hormones?
I'm shocked that the "gender as a social construct", those who believe there is no difference between the sexes other than genitalia have not taken issue with her on this, after all this would imply that our different endocrine systems cause us to feel and experience things differently.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

karlaporter wrote:http://i.imgur.com/F0uyxvt.jpg

(This is supposed to go here)... That's a rather crude and unprofessional public comment for an organizational leader to make..... I know this will be read by the troll(s) because while I can be blocked on Twitter I can't be blocked by trolls here. An educated professional organizational leader who makes comments like an awkward immature teen who doesn't get his/her way loses credibility in the long run. What's wrong with this individual and the other cult members? There are a lot of similarities and tendencies in how they all communicate, react, the language they use, the anger, the immaturity as adults, and the careless utter lack of regard for the reputations of organizations they represent. They don't appear to love themselves, are bitter and want to blame their emotional and mental health problems and all of life's woes on something other than their own faults, weaknesses and genetic makeup. The public pleas for attention detract from the movements they so desperately purport to serve. I hope they seek the counseling they need to regain (or probably attain in some cases) their mental health.
There is something profoundly wrong with an organization that continues to employ a person with a record of multiple arrests and these embarrassing public displays.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

John Brown wrote:http://i.imgur.com/BGGpeof.png

Oh, EllenBeth Wachs, your racist tears are delicious.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... um=twitter
A great little tid-bit from the comments of that blog:
SallyStrange: Brigadier General. Yes, of THAT Brigade.

February 23, 2013 at 4:12 pm (UTC -8)

It’s another reminder of what’s really driving this – fear.

Fear that if they are forced to present their arguments against feminism on a level playing field, their point of view will lose out.

franc

Post by franc »

justinvacula wrote:
'misogynist bands'
Manowar?
Mentors

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_66P8ussx5-s/SMFh ... FOR+IT.jpg[/url]

Only band that can boast a lead singer who died getting run over by a train while walking home drunk after a gig.

decius

Post by decius »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Submariner wrote:Abbie, did you see the discussion re: Zinnia Jones blog about "gender surfing"? Any thoughts on the unsupervised taking of opposite sex hormones?
I'm shocked that the "gender as a social construct", those who believe there is no difference between the sexes other than genitalia have not taken issue with her on this, after all this would imply that our different endocrine systems cause us to feel and experience things differently.
Debunking this notion may be an overkill. Pointing and laughing should suffice.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Excellent point katamari. :think:

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
lurking coward wrote: [Jen looks like she's in the before shot for a tooth whitening product.]
All this harping on about people's teeth makes us British people feel rather uncomfortable... not very inclusive.
In related news, I'm headed to the dentist this week so she can lecture me about not flossing and get all the crap out that I didn't get out during the last 6 months. Why do you think I'm coming to you, doc? If I flossed, you'd be out of a job.

franc

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:Franc, I'll wager that you are semi-annoyed at not appearing on this elemental "good character" reference list!
I did not participate, missed the boat time wise. I doubt I would have anyway. Of course, that did not prevent oooooooooooolon blaming me for some alleged socks over at crystal meth Sally's place. My absence confirms that EBW's list was a manual labour of monomania.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Oh shit. I just mentioned a female in a high-paying profession without saying something derogatory about her gender. The bitch. The other dentist was Asian, so yeah, I was out of luck.

#let'squotethisasrepresentativeoftheslymepitandnotsarcastic!

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

welch wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:Julian The Neck-Snappin' Spic weighs in on the Harriet Hall controversy. In response to someone who said "but I support her right to have her point of view, and state it without the petty attacks she has been subjected to, supposedly by members of her own community, the skeptics", The Violent One opines:
Because she’s been so above this all, right? No talk of witch hunts or professional victims looking to be offended, right? None of that ever happened, I assume.

This whole thing is ridiculous. Those offended on Amy Roth’s behalf have behaved incredibly childishly towards Dr. Hall and Dr. Hall’s defenders have gone out of their way to be cruel and purposefully hurt.

Of the two I find Roth’s party less distasteful and judging from the complete disregard for others (Once again, thank you, Hitch, for giving jerks an excuse to be callous human beings) I’m glad to not be part of the skeptical community. You people are outright cruel and hurtful just to win a web argument.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ent-113435

Thank you for your sage words, Julian. You may now continue to stay classy and above all this nonsense by issuing more of your patented violent death threats :roll:
Fucking Spic!

WELLLL...
have you ever seen that spic jul-ian, he's the biggest spic in the whole wide world!
He's a big fat spic if there ever was a spic, he's a spic to all the boys and girls!
On monday he's a spic, on tuesday he's a spic, from wednesday to saturday he's a spic,
Then on sunday just to be different, he's a super king kah-meha-meha SPEE-YIC!

Have you ever met that spic jul-ian, he's the biggest spic in the whole wide world
He's a mean old spic and he has stupid hair, he's a spic, spic, spic, spic, spic, spic, spic!

Spic, spic, spic, spic,
spic, spic, spic, spic,
He's a stupid spiiiiiic!

Julian's a spic,
he's just a dirty spiiiic!

JULIAN IS AAAAA SPIIIIIIIIIC-AH!
I feel like I'm missing something.
Why are "spic" jokes ok?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

JAB wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:Simon and Melody edited (and will promote) PZ's book.

Humorously, they will promote through CFI. Because CFI is their own little club for circle-jerking with their friends.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-554698

(Ergo, my comments about PZ making "editor-nervous-breakdown" jokes are accurate.)
Hey rocko, did you read down farther into the comments of that link? Somebody asks if PZ was going to release it as an audio book with him reading it. Peezus replies that he doesn't think he has the voice for it. Are you up for it? Maybe just a lulz highlights condensed version.
Yeah I just read that then.

I have 'written' a terrible song video about his book that is uploading presently.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

And, yes, I would gladly read an excerpt... But I will be mindful of copyright limits as they love DMCA complaints :D

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

@ Rocko

Welch explains the "spic" thing a little further along in the thread.

franc

Post by franc »

SenorBeagle wrote:But yeah, I figured it was more sensible to tell people to PM me for links, I don't trust the verious other parties who watch the 'pit like a hawk to not hunt me down and leave a Findus Beef Lasagne in me bed (if you're British or have watched our news, you'll get that joke)...
http://i.imgur.com/sElG4k7.jpg

JAB

Post by JAB »

This one is for rayshul:

http://vimeo.com/22332904

(twin babies interacting)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

LadyChillax wrote:
Reap wrote:I find it comforting
You make me want to surprise hug you.
Reach around too?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. To give the devil her due, I think she’s quite right – as I indicated in a previous comment – that someone here used that phrase here earlier without any scare quotes to suggest a different interpretation. They’ve argued that the sarcasm should have been obvious, but there wasn’t much in the way of context – a reference to McCreight’s post/tweet if I'm not mistaken – to lead one to that conclusion. Given that many here have crucified Benson over her “bitch” tweet and have been guilty of not detecting that – not that my detectors managed it – one might want to cut Wachs a little slack for not detecting the supposed sarcasm in the “darkies” comment.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

rocko2466 wrote:
welch wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:Julian The Neck-Snappin' Spic weighs in on the Harriet Hall controversy. In response to someone who said "but I support her right to have her point of view, and state it without the petty attacks she has been subjected to, supposedly by members of her own community, the skeptics", The Violent One opines:
Because she’s been so above this all, right? No talk of witch hunts or professional victims looking to be offended, right? None of that ever happened, I assume.

This whole thing is ridiculous. Those offended on Amy Roth’s behalf have behaved incredibly childishly towards Dr. Hall and Dr. Hall’s defenders have gone out of their way to be cruel and purposefully hurt.

Of the two I find Roth’s party less distasteful and judging from the complete disregard for others (Once again, thank you, Hitch, for giving jerks an excuse to be callous human beings) I’m glad to not be part of the skeptical community. You people are outright cruel and hurtful just to win a web argument.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ent-113435

Thank you for your sage words, Julian. You may now continue to stay classy and above all this nonsense by issuing more of your patented violent death threats :roll:
Fucking Spic!

WELLLL...
have you ever seen that spic jul-ian, he's the biggest spic in the whole wide world!
He's a big fat spic if there ever was a spic, he's a spic to all the boys and girls!
On monday he's a spic, on tuesday he's a spic, from wednesday to saturday he's a spic,
Then on sunday just to be different, he's a super king kah-meha-meha SPEE-YIC!

Have you ever met that spic jul-ian, he's the biggest spic in the whole wide world
He's a mean old spic and he has stupid hair, he's a spic, spic, spic, spic, spic, spic, spic!

Spic, spic, spic, spic,
spic, spic, spic, spic,
He's a stupid spiiiiiic!

Julian's a spic,
he's just a dirty spiiiic!

JULIAN IS AAAAA SPIIIIIIIIIC-AH!
I feel like I'm missing something.
Why are "spic" jokes ok?
Not spic jokes, Julian "Spic" Francisco jokes.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Steersman wrote:

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. To give the devil her due, I think she’s quite right – as I indicated in a previous comment – that someone here used that phrase here earlier without any scare quotes to suggest a different interpretation. They’ve argued that the sarcasm should have been obvious, but there wasn’t much in the way of context – a reference to McCreight’s post/tweet if I'm not mistaken – to lead one to that conclusion. Given that many here have crucified Benson over her “bitch” tweet and have been guilty of not detecting that – not that my detectors managed it – one might want to cut Wachs a little slack for not detecting the supposed sarcasm in the “darkies” comment.
No. I don't cut people slack who can't take the time to either 1) figure out the context of what's being said, 2) figure out who is saying it, and 3) if confused about the prior two, asking for clarification before labeling people (at least implicitly) as sub-human racists who keep everyone away from the movement because of said racism.

She deserves absolutely no charity on this point. I take this very seriously. She feels as though she can fling around one of the worst accusations made against a person/people with absolutely no repercussions. I am more than happy to pay her back in her own coin.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say this. EllenBeth Wachs is a horrid, disgusting human being. She's created the weather system, and now she's whinging about it raining on her.

Fuck her.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

katamari Damassi wrote: There is something profoundly wrong with an organization that continues to employ a person with a record of multiple arrests and these embarrassing public displays.
Would you want to be the one who tells her she's fired?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gefan wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: There is something profoundly wrong with an organization that continues to employ a person with a record of multiple arrests and these embarrassing public displays.
How much do I have to pay?

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

John Brown wrote:Here's the funny thing about good old EllenBeth Wachs. I know pretty much nothing about her. Save for when she pops up on threads I'm reading or tweeting out stupid shit as we've all seen here, she is completely off my radar.

And yet, the first time I tweeted about her racism (regarding the tweet where she screencapped the discussion here, which she couldn't even competently quotemine, btw), she immediately retorted with the "Go fight more with the Bee," statement.

There's no way she could have known anything about that unless she was keeping up with some stupid YouTube back and forth I was having with WBB several days ago.

Who is obsessive now?

But, I'd like to just state once more that good old EllenBeth Wachs is the easiest person in the world to troll. I tweeted a few things her direction and she provided us with enough stupidity and lulz to last for months.

Since you're reading this, EllenBeth (bless your cotton socks), I might remind you that context matters. If you're going to smear people, at least do it competently and have evidence to back you up.

But, I digress. My whole point in this is simple. You're a racist loon.
I remember reading about her travails with the Polk County sheriff a couple of years ago and feeling bad for her, but now I wonder how much of it really happened.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Cunning Punt wrote:
John Brown wrote:Here's the funny thing about good old EllenBeth Wachs. I know pretty much nothing about her. Save for when she pops up on threads I'm reading or tweeting out stupid shit as we've all seen here, she is completely off my radar.

And yet, the first time I tweeted about her racism (regarding the tweet where she screencapped the discussion here, which she couldn't even competently quotemine, btw), she immediately retorted with the "Go fight more with the Bee," statement.

There's no way she could have known anything about that unless she was keeping up with some stupid YouTube back and forth I was having with WBB several days ago.

Who is obsessive now?

But, I'd like to just state once more that good old EllenBeth Wachs is the easiest person in the world to troll. I tweeted a few things her direction and she provided us with enough stupidity and lulz to last for months.

Since you're reading this, EllenBeth (bless your cotton socks), I might remind you that context matters. If you're going to smear people, at least do it competently and have evidence to back you up.

I remember reading about her travails with the Polk County sheriff a couple of years ago and feeling bad for her, but now I wonder how much of it really happened.
I don't know....Grady Judd is slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Grady Judd (Polk county Sheriff) :

http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/judd.asp

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Nothing. You'll need the money to pay for a Kevlar vest and a helmet ahead of time.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Fuck her. Fuck her into the ground.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Submariner wrote:Grady Judd (Polk county Sheriff) :

http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/judd.asp
Yep. He sounds like he's quite capable all right. I wonder how her civil suit against him is going.

Also: anyone know what this is about?
http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/201 ... -activist/

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gefan wrote:
I'll tell her she the weakest link if you wish...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Brown wrote:
Steersman wrote:
John Brown wrote: http://i.imgur.com/BGGpeof.png

No. I don't cut people slack who can't take the time to either 1) figure out the context of what's being said, 2) figure out who is saying it, and 3) if confused about the prior two, asking for clarification before labeling people (at least implicitly) as sub-human racists who keep everyone away from the movement because of said racism.

She deserves absolutely no charity on this point. I take this very seriously. She feels as though she can fling around one of the worst accusations made against a person/people with absolutely no repercussions. I am more than happy to pay her back in her own coin.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say this. EllenBeth Wachs is a horrid, disgusting human being. She's created the weather system, and now she's whinging about it raining on her.

Fuck her.
Maybe you’re the who deserves a bit of charity as it seems you were the one who called her a racist first to start the ball rolling, something that was completely uncalled for since, as far as I can see, she didn’t call people “darkies”, she only referred to someone here using the term – as indicated here – as follows:
EllenBeth Wachs ‏@EllenBethWachs
#slymepitter calling black people "darkies" is likely 1 reason black people don't feel welcome http://prntscr.com/tvg2l #SPhaters #cybermob
Note that she isn’t referring to people as “darkies”, only to that use here. So that was your fault as she most certainly did not use the word that way, and which you compounded by accusing her of being a racist:
John Brown ‏@humidpress
@EllenBethWachs Why are you such a blatant racist? Stop calling people "darkies." Not cool. #ftbullies #atheismplus
To which she – in a bit of tit-for-tat – responded with:
EllenBeth Wachs
‏@EllenBethWachs 8 hrs @humidpress and you should stop raping women.
Personally, I think she has the high ground in that battle at least and that you’re pissing against the wind.

Although I think she was decidedly off the wall by suggesting in that comment on B&W that “slymepitters” – in general – “were referring to black people as ‘darkies’ in the slymepit”; sloppy writing at best and sloppy thinking or demagoguery at worst as only one person used the word.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Special song episode about PZ's book!

Reap

Post by Reap »

Cunning Punt wrote:

Who is obsessive now?

Yea well I broadcast her on The Atheist Perspective and did a (radio)appearance for an event in support of her during her first issue with the sheriff. Then I had her on The Angry Atheist podcast right after the second run in she had not to mention the blog posts and countless debates/fights with people who were making assumptions about her. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but sometimes it bites me on the ass, this is one of those times.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

rocko2466 wrote:Special song episode about PZ's book!

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... a411c4.gif

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:Maybe you’re the who deserves a bit of charity as it seems you were the one who called her a racist first to start the ball rolling, something that was completely uncalled for since, as far as I can see, she didn’t call people “darkies”, she only referred to someone here using the term – as indicated here – as follows:
#slymepitter calling black people "darkies" is likely 1 reason black people don't feel welcome http://prntscr.com/tvg2l #SPhaters #cybermob
Note that she isn’t referring to people as “darkies”, only to that use here. So that was your fault as she most certainly did not use the word that way, and which you compounded by accusing her of being a racist:
John Brown ‏@humidpress
@EllenBethWachs Why are you such a blatant racist? Stop calling people "darkies." Not cool. #ftbullies #atheismplus
EllenBeth Wachs
Personally, I think she has the high ground in that battle at least and that you’re pissing against the wind.

Although I think she was decidedly off the wall by suggesting in that comment on B&W that “slymepitters” – in general – “were referring to black people as ‘darkies’ in the slymepit”; sloppy writing at best and sloppy thinking or demagoguery at worst as only one person used the word.
I disagree. Sure, she might have missed the part about Apples using the term while referencing Jen McCreight's comments pertinent to race (whether or not she simply failed to notice in her eagerness to tweet the image, or whether she noticed Jen's name but failed to chase the reference down to see what it referred to...or, maybe she willfully ignored it). But then she escalated what might have been an initial incorrect assumption that Apples' use was racist by using the hash tags #SPhaters (Slyme Pit haters) and #cybermob (presumably referring to 'pitters as a racist lynch mob).

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rocko2466 wrote:Special song episode about PZ's book!

Haha - well done.

Reap

Post by Reap »

I guess my artistic expression representing my criticism of PZ Myers was a good excuse for some people to engage in censorship. Since PZ Myers does not allow people to freely criticize him on his blog and has suggested people make they own blog/site to voice criticism I'd love to hear PZ stand up for freedom of expression and say publicly that people should not be censored but I'd also like to be able to jump over buildings so ....
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/Screenshot_9.png

If anyone really thinks this is going to put and end to anything they are mistaken. I'm going to post that video on 3 more video sites, promote it and then make another of PZ singing a ballad about how it sucks to be him...just to make a point. This is a perfect example of why the FTB mindset is dangerous, first this, then what/who is next?

Reap

Post by Reap »

And Rocko Greta.....I mean GREAT job

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Steersman wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Altair wrote: http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/3949/tweeti.png

Just take a look at the link she tweeted (http://prntscr.com/tw89r) and then say again "Hi, Ellen Beth!"
oolon claims I am a lier with form by means of linking to an article on Butterflies and Wheels where Ophelia goes full Ellenbeth Wachs about me and mordacious1. Ophelia freaked out because I pointed out that she had given personal information about a famous anonymous 'author' that allowed his real identity to be easily revealed!
Apparently we were lying lying bastards!
Unfortunately for Ophelia she had forgotten to memory hole the comment that proved that it was her, in fact, who was lying!
Hey oolon, I guess you are still reading here.
Go fuck yourself! :D
Seem to remember that “Author” himself refuted any and all charges that Benson had outed him:
Author
October 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm (UTC -8) Link to this comment

I can confirm that the “outing” accusation is utter bullshit.
After that post I emailed him back with his real name that I'd figured out in five minutes just by using the information Ophelia had posted about him on her blog.
I suggested that he ask her to delete specific references to his real life identity - and I also suggested that he be more careful in his protection of his anonymity..
Did she intentionally out him? I cannot know her intentions for revealing that information so I withdrew that specific interpretatation of my claim about her.
Was it unintentional? Perhaps. Either way it was dangerous, irresponsible, and stupid.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Reap wrote:I guess my artistic expression representing my criticism of PZ Myers was a good excuse for some people to engage in censorship. Since PZ Myers does not allow people to freely criticize him on his blog and has suggested people make they own blog/site to voice criticism I'd love to hear PZ stand up for freedom of expression and say publicly that people should not be censored but I'd also like to be able to jump over buildings so ....

If anyone really thinks this is going to put and end to anything they are mistaken. I'm going to post that video on 3 more video sites, promote it and then make another of PZ singing a ballad about how it sucks to be him...just to make a point. This is a perfect example of why the FTB mindset is dangerous, first this, then what/who is next?
Upload the video to another site, so that we can all download and mirror it.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I've already started downloading and storing certain videos made by anti-FTBers just in case they did this stuff. I don't have anything from Reap saved though, just some Mykeru, rocko and Thunderf00t vids (even though Tf00t's channel is large enough he probably has many mirrors of all his work regardless)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Submariner wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Excellent point katamari. :think:
Yes, good point. (One of several significant differences in opinion that they don't seem to have aired yet.)

I'll take a stab at the use of "trans-hormones" (I just made that up, to mean "the opposite sex's sex hormones").

Trans-hormone use does sometimes happen on prescription in cis-people who want to stay cis but hope for a particular therapeutic benefit.

In women, testosterone ("T") is sometimes prescribed to try to improve libido (when libido is low & the woman wants to try to treat it). It's given at much lower doses than when it's prescribed for men; either (in the US at least) as oral methyltestosterone or a topical preparation made by a compounding pharmacy. I prescribed it (reluctantly) for a few women 15-20 yrs ago when they wanted to try it. Of those I prescribed it for, most stopped due to facial hair growth & insufficient improvement in libido; I had one woman stop it because her cholesterol profile went from fine to OMG-awful (HDL or good cholesterol dropping to the lowest level I've ever seen) after she started it. I don't prescribe it any more except for one postmenopausal patient (for whom someone else started it years ago) who is still on it and wants to stay on it (says she simply feels better on it, but she's also on estrogen, so it's hard to know whether one or both of those hormones is contributing to the well-being she attributes to T, or whether it might simply be placebo effect.)

T doesn't have a reliable significant effect on libido at the doses prescribed to women, except for one study (I haven't checked to see if there have been more since then) that showed an statistically significant (but clinically not so impressive, as I recall) increase in libido from testosterone therapy in women who had their ovaries surgically removed before menopause; this data was presented to the FDA, which considered approving testosterone in women for this purpose but decided against it.

This page has good info on therapeutic use of T in women, and side effects: http://women.webmd.com/testosterone-for-women
including this part:
In women, long-term testosterone side effects have not been studied. Experts know that:

Oral testosterone lowers "good" HDL cholesterol and raises "bad" LDL cholesterol in the blood. High cholesterol is known to increase risks of heart disease and stroke.2 This is why experts want to know more about long-term oral testosterone therapy.
Testosterone should not be taken during pregnancy, because it affects a growing fetus.

Testosterone treatment for longer than 6 months has not been studied. Experts do not yet know whether it raises risks of breast cancer, heart disease, or dangerous blood clots. It may increase these risks, because some testosterone in the body is made into estrogen. Higher-than-normal estrogen in the body is linked to these risks.2

The goal of testosterone treatment is to raise a woman's testosterone level no higher than what is normal for a young woman. All current testosterone products are made for dosing in men. There is not yet a standard dose or blood test for women, so dosing is adjusted based on your symptoms. You are taking a dose that is too high if you have:
  • Acne or oily skin.
  • Male-pattern hair loss from the scalp.
  • Male-pattern hair growth on the face and body.
  • Anger and hostility problems.
  • Shrinking breast size.
  • Hoarseness or a deeper voice.
  • Irregular menstrual cycles, if you have been menstruating.
  • An increase in the size of your clitoris.
In men, estrogen ("E") used to be prescribed to suppress hypothalamic drive of the gonads to reduce T levels in men with advanced prostate cancer; it's not used much now, as there are better ways to suppress T production AND because of the increased risk of blood clots (deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, stroke, and heart attack) and of death from those conditions. Another side effect in men, sometimes bothersome but not dangerous, is breast enlargement & tenderness. Haven't included a link because most of them focus more on the current hormonal treatments for prostate cancer with only a brief mention of estrogen.

I haven't found reliable info on cognitive or emotional side effects of estrogen in men, but then when it is (or, more so, was) prescribed for men it was for people with advanced prostate cancer, and *whaddaya think* it's possible that people in that situation have enough else going on that they don't really experience trans-hormone use as a "gender surfing" experiment.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
oolon claims I am a lier with form by means of linking to an article on Butterflies and Wheels where Ophelia goes full Ellenbeth Wachs about me and mordacious1. Ophelia freaked out because I pointed out that she had given personal information about a famous anonymous 'author' that allowed his real identity to be easily revealed!
Unfortunately for Ophelia she had forgotten to memory hole the comment that proved that it was her, in fact, who was lying!
Seem to remember that “Author” himself refuted any and all charges that Benson had outed him:
Author

After that post I emailed him back with his real name that I'd figured out in five minutes just by using the information Ophelia had posted about him on her blog.
I suggested that he ask her to delete specific references to his real life identity - and I also suggested that he be more careful in his protection of his anonymity..
Did she intentionally out him? I cannot know her intentions for revealing that information so I withdrew that specific interpretatation of my claim about her.
Was it unintentional? Perhaps. Either way it was dangerous, irresponsible, and stupid.
Were those specific references subsequently deleted?

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

masakari2012 wrote:
Reap wrote:I guess my artistic expression representing my criticism of PZ Myers was a good excuse for some people to engage in censorship. Since PZ Myers does not allow people to freely criticize him on his blog and has suggested people make they own blog/site to voice criticism I'd love to hear PZ stand up for freedom of expression and say publicly that people should not be censored but I'd also like to be able to jump over buildings so ....

Actually, nevermind. It doesn't matter where you choose to upload it, I can find a way to copy the video. I forgot that I have downloadhelper installed in Firefox.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:Maybe you’re the who deserves a bit of charity as it seems you were the one who called her a racist first to start the ball rolling, something that was completely uncalled for since, as far as I can see, she didn’t call people “darkies”, she only referred to someone here using the term – as indicated here – as follows:
John Brown ‏@humidpress
EllenBeth Wachs

I disagree. Sure, she might have missed the part about Apples using the term while referencing Jen McCreight's comments pertinent to race (whether or not she simply failed to notice in her eagerness to tweet the image, or whether she noticed Jen's name but failed to chase the reference down to see what it referred to...or, maybe she willfully ignored it). But then she escalated what might have been an initial incorrect assumption that Apples' use was racist by using the hash tags #SPhaters (Slyme Pit haters) and #cybermob (presumably referring to 'pitters as a racist lynch mob).
It was a nasty quote-mine by Wachs.
The kind of ironic use of epithets that Apples used was obvious from the context - crticizing the racism in Jen McCreights views of targeting minorities by focusing on drugs and prison.
I quote mined her (quotemined) original tweet just to point out the problems with this kind of dishonest rhetoric (I even specifically mentioned the term 'quote mine' in my tweet!)
John Brown ran with the joke and Wachs took the bait as we've all seen.

Reap

Post by Reap »

masakari2012 wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:

Actually, nevermind. It doesn't matter where you choose to upload it, I can find a way to copy the video. I forgot that I have downloadhelper installed in Firefox.
It is uploading to dailymotion and my server now I'll let you know where when it is finished or just check dailymotion in about 40 min The video is named- PZ Myers wraps it up -wherever it is posted

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Author

Were those specific references subsequently deleted?
They were still there a few weeks after I emailed him with the advice.
I am a fan of his work and it's the sort of stuff that you need anonymity to do (otherwise you get beheaded!)
I can't be sure whether he asked Ophelia to remove the post and she'd refused, or if he'd simply left it, hoping it would be quietly forgotten.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Speaking of obsessions: My copy/paste list of the "Total posts" at A+ forum shows only ~50 posts in the past 24 hrs, quite a drop from any prior day in the past 6 weeks although there has been a pattern of new posts dipping over a weekend (as if they have social lives; good for them!). Two weeks ago the slowest day was ~145 posts; 1 week ago the slowest day was ~100 posts. It's been up to 150-200 on most days in between, with a couple around 250.

Looks like the most active thread in the publicly-viewable areas is hyperdeath's challenge not to use the letter "E". It accounts for a majority of those 50 posts, I think (I didn't look at time stamps all that closely; believe it or not, there is a limit to this obsession).

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I am a fan of his work and it's the sort of stuff that you need anonymity to do (otherwise you get beheaded!)
Hyperbolic hogwash.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Skep tickle wrote:Speaking of obsessions: My copy/paste list of the "Total posts" at A+ forum shows only ~50 posts in the past 24 hrs, quite a drop from any prior day in the past 6 weeks although there has been a pattern of new posts dipping over a weekend (as if they have social lives; good for them!). Two weeks ago the slowest day was ~145 posts; 1 week ago the slowest day was ~100 posts. It's been up to 150-200 on most days in between, with a couple around 250.

Looks like the most active thread in the publicly-viewable areas is hyperdeath's challenge not to use the letter "E". It accounts for a majority of those 50 posts, I think (I didn't look at time stamps all that closely; believe it or not, there is a limit to this obsession).
Someone should go into that thread and try to make them use their beloved pronouns.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Skep tickle wrote:Speaking of obsessions: My copy/paste list of the "Total posts" at A+ forum shows only ~50 posts in the past 24 hrs, quite a drop from any prior day in the past 6 weeks although there has been a pattern of new posts dipping over a weekend (as if they have social lives; good for them!). Two weeks ago the slowest day was ~145 posts; 1 week ago the slowest day was ~100 posts. It's been up to 150-200 on most days in between, with a couple around 250.

A+ is reacting in the way appropriate to the stillborn notion that it began as.
Any 'vital signs' that may remain as indicated by the 'pulse' of posting frequency are mere vestigial reflexes exhibited by its twitching corpse.

__/\___/\___/\___... --------------

Nurse! Time of death 18:38 12 July 2012.
Is there an organ donor card, Sister?
No, I didn't think so. These "do-gooders" never manage to combat their regreta virus, and subscribe to such a noble cause.
Pity.

Oh well. Wheel the body to the morgue furnace.
Oh! And avoid using the elevator if you can, porter.
It says here on their A+Skepchunk card that using a lift is against their religion.