Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Apples

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Apples »

ERV wrote:Hey guys-- Big Boy is officially alive. The mother fucker is absolutely working. Since 2009 I have been working on this, and now its working. Fuck. Yeah. I dont know what to do with myself.
http://dreamscape-com-media.objects.dre ... ig-boy.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

LMU wrote:
jose wrote:It's wonderful you guys mention Jon Stewart. Turns out he wouldn't have run with it with guests and things or months, like you guys do. He never targeted a few concrete individuals and kept watching them every day, like you do.

There are many examples where this hasn't happened. Michael Behe insulted ERV a few years ago apropos of some virus evolution thing. She wrote a post or two about it. And then that was it. ERV didn't set up a forum dedicated to watch everything Michael Behe writes every day in order to look constantly for any chance to ridicule him. She didn't set up twitter accounts to post stuff as if she were Behe, didn't make videos reading Behe texts with a ridiculing voice, didn't dedicate every single blog post for seven months to Behe. Why not?

ERV made fun of Casey Luskin's elf ears. She gave him the finger at some event they went to some years ago. Case Luskin wrote something about how ERV was mean. And then that was it. Nothing similar to this happened. ERV called some creationist guy a fucking moron for talking out of her ass on retroviruses. But then she moved on to other things. She didn't do anything similar to what you guys do here. Luskin didn't either. Why not?

A more recent example. Rebecca Watson said she thought what happened in some TV show was a rape. Many people disagreed including me. I posted a couple comments at Skepchick about it. Then everybody just moved on, including you guys. I haven't seen you talking about that at all. You just disagreed, maybe laughed at her a little, and then moved on. Why?

Why do you harass people?
Why do you keep coming back here if you've already made up your mind? You know that's harassment right? Why do news programs give updates on progressing stories? Why do skeptics make whole series of youtube videos debunking creationists or peddlers of woo? Should they stop halfway through? Should they do nothing if those they have debunked respond or make new claims? As for why there aren't forums dedicated to those other topics: why do you think there aren't? Have you inspected all the internet? Start with JREF.
LMU wrote:
jose wrote:It's wonderful you guys mention Jon Stewart. Turns out he wouldn't have run with it with guests and things or months, like you guys do. He never targeted a few concrete individuals and kept watching them every day, like you do.

There are many examples where this hasn't happened. Michael Behe insulted ERV a few years ago apropos of some virus evolution thing. She wrote a post or two about it. And then that was it. ERV didn't set up a forum dedicated to watch everything Michael Behe writes every day in order to look constantly for any chance to ridicule him. She didn't set up twitter accounts to post stuff as if she were Behe, didn't make videos reading Behe texts with a ridiculing voice, didn't dedicate every single blog post for seven months to Behe. Why not?

ERV made fun of Casey Luskin's elf ears. She gave him the finger at some event they went to some years ago. Case Luskin wrote something about how ERV was mean. And then that was it. Nothing similar to this happened. ERV called some creationist guy a fucking moron for talking out of her ass on retroviruses. But then she moved on to other things. She didn't do anything similar to what you guys do here. Luskin didn't either. Why not?

A more recent example. Rebecca Watson said she thought what happened in some TV show was a rape. Many people disagreed including me. I posted a couple comments at Skepchick about it. Then everybody just moved on, including you guys. I haven't seen you talking about that at all. You just disagreed, maybe laughed at her a little, and then moved on. Why?

Why do you keep coming back here if you've already made up your mind? You know that's harassment right? Why do news programs give updates on progressing stories? Why do skeptics make whole series of youtube videos debunking creationists or peddlers of woo? Should they stop halfway through? Should they do nothing if those they have debunked respond or make new claims? As for why there aren't forums dedicated to those other topics: why do you think there aren't? Have you inspected all the internet? Start with JREF.
Funny thing: when Thunderfoot had only the "Why people laugh at creationists" series of videos (most of which target specifically VenomFangX), he was picked by FTB.

So, I guess that means that FTB is ok with "harassing", or maybe "harassing" its OK when it is against creationist dumbfucks.

AndrewV69

Steersman Banned. And it was his fault. Totally.

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Steersman

re: Banned from AVfM
http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for ... he-prince/

OK I think I see why you were banned. It took a really long time for you to get around to providing some sort of rational for stating that
Steersman wrote: "I think it is a reasonable conclusion to say that feminism has helped men.
And when you finally did, your argument as presented was really weak.

Arguably much weaker than my assertion that the RadFems such as MacKinnon and Dworkin have had a malign effect on people (because women are people too) in Western society.

In fact if I had incorporated "trickle down" theory into my argument I doubt I could have done much worse.

This was the meat of your argument:
Steersman wrote: as I’ve mentioned several times here, the Canadian suffragette Nellie McClung argued that no nation rises higher than its women, a thread that more than a few have picked up and run with.
This argument is not going to go down well with a group that views the situation where today, two incomes are required to live what many deem a "comfortable" life, whereas for the majority only one was needed before.

Indeed, many see women in the workforce as a means where the benefits to society acrue to only a very small group. Because they have essentially doubled the workforce with a corresponding reduction to the cost of labour to nearly half. And the costs to doubling the workforce are in turn extracted from the workforce itself, and not from those benefiting from it. Just one more example of the socialization of costs and the privatization of profits if you will.

I also do not think that the following comparison helped either:
Steersman wrote: For instance a UN report argued that Muslim countries are so backward relative to Western democracies largely because insist on placing their women in largely unproductive roles.
There are a few problems with the kind of argument that tries to compare the relative economic status between these kinds of different population groups, because they appear to be based on a couple of assumed givens that are false:

- that all men and women are essentially equal.
- that all population groups are essentially equal.

Arguably the main issues with those population groups are related to the relatively low levels of IQ and societal trust, with the corresponding level of intellectual activity, and attributed to their culture which is reflected in their breeding practises and religion.

I seriously doubt that "liberation" of their women into the workforce is going to do much except lower their reproduction rate, and they seem to be doing a good job of that already in places like Iran without our help.

Anyway, you can take comfort that your basic premise is shared by many. However, this is also looking at part of the hefalump and confusing it with the whole. I can also expand on this if you wish.

All of this is besides the point though. You took too way too long to state your argument, and spent way too much time and murdered way too many pixels arguing other points.

By then, your goose was cooked.

(pot.kettle.black I know. But as I have said before, you are the wind beneath my wings)

windy

Post by windy »

ERV wrote:Hey guys-- Big Boy is officially alive. The mother fucker is absolutely working. Since 2009 I have been working on this, and now its working. Fuck. Yeah. I dont know what to do with myself.
Hooray!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/ ... tchfan.jpg

Dave

Post by Dave »

Dancing Rodents to you!

Southern

Post by Southern »

bhoytony wrote:
franc wrote:
I've always wanted to drop a microphone into the chick's toilet at a big corporate office.
Ooh, I can't wait to see this quotemined at SuperGran's blog.
"Here's Proof That Franc Hoggle AKA David Mabus Is A Mysogynist Pig"

jose

Post by jose »

I don't think Vacula will respond. At least ERV responded.

welch, you look it up. Remember: "piece of work".

I have argued at FTB that you guys should be just ignored and blocked. I'm not friends with any of the bloggers involved so it's not like I'm affected by it, but as a reader it's annoying to me that so many interruptions from you have had a bit of an impact on blogs I frequent. Others have expressed the same opinion including Jen McCreight and Bridget Gaudette. I have told them. They don't want to. I wish they did. And I wish you guys stopped. You don't want to, either. Pity.

I am harassing you, am I not? Alright alright, I don't want to cause you so much pain, or even a little pain, so I'm out. Cheers. ;)

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Ok, what exactly is Big Boy? It sounds ominously similar to Fat Man And Little Boy. How much time do we have left?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

jose wrote:I don't think Vacula will respond. At least ERV responded.

I have argued at FTB that you guys should be just ignored and blocked. I'm not friends with any of the bloggers involved so it's not like I'm affected by it, but as a reader it's annoying to me that so many interruptions from you have had a bit of an impact on blogs I frequent. Others have expressed the same opinion including Jen McCreight and Bridget Gaudette. I have told them. They don't want to. I wish they did. And I wish you guys stopped. You don't want to, either. Pity.

I am harassing you, am I not? Alright alright, I don't want to cause you so much pain, or even a little pain, so I'm out. Cheers. ;)
And we have the flounce! Can he stick it? Stay tuned to find out.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Congratulations, Resident Mad Scientist!

http://i.imgur.com/kgCaFNQ.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

Maybe Vacula is not online right now? Did you think of that as an explanation?

Duh.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

LMU wrote:
jose wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:He has teams of writters spending their days watching targeted individuals.
By all means, watch them every day. Just don't ridicule them for months, always the same handful of people, every day. Jon Stewart doesn't. Why do you?
Are you saying Jon Stewart doesn't cover presidential primaries or elections?

Fucking THIS.....I'm not one to fall for horror stories about the power of the "Liberal Media", but seriously.....the treatment that say Palin, Bachmann, Akins, or any of the other more notable clowns of republican politics get from The Daily Show(among others) makes the Pit look like The Land of Happy Kitten Snuggles.

But of course, those people are just "wrong" and so, unworthy of real discussion or debate, but totally open for ridicule and overblown accusations of willful harm. Funny that such a designation is not made on account of repeating the same discredited horseshit day after day, as some republicans are prone to doing, but simply on the questionably perceived political identity of the person, which is how so many manage to perform the mental gymnastics necessary to lump all slymepitters and non-ideologue feminists in with people who would outlaw abortion if given a chance.
Dare disagree with your slapped-on label, and then you are not just a tool of the patriarchy, but a harasser and terrorist!

LMU

Post by LMU »

You're missing the point. We don't think it's harassment. The point is that what you are calling harassment when it comes from us, is the very same thing that you and FTB are doing to others. When someone suggested that Ophelia Benson was doing what you considered harassment, you didn't deny it, you excused it. You think it's okay when you (or they) do it. Others' bad behavior (if you think it is bad behavior) doesn't excuse your own bad behavior. So: why do you think it is okay for you (or FTB) to harass people?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

windy wrote:OK, let's harass someone else for a change. Phil, is there anything you want to share with us?

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhance ... 765-11.jpg
The biggest knob in Europe is obviously Sweden and Finland (as is depicted on Euro coins).

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Has anyone else seen this:

Civil Discourse Between Atheists: A Concept Worth Promoting

http://anr.apartmentj.com/?p=1170

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

windy wrote:OK, let's harass someone else for a change. Phil, is there anything you want to share with us?

I have to say, it's rather shocking to suddenly realize I must have been adopted - from Hungary! :shock:

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

jose wrote:
ERV wrote: Number of times Behe contacted NatGeo trying to get my blog shut down: 0
Number of times Luskin tried to get me fired from speaking arrangements and banned from the venue: 0
Number of times Dembski wrote my department head and admins to get me fired from graduate school: 0

Ive said this before-- The FfTBers/Skepchicks learned their moves from Creationists, and took it all one step further.
Ah, see, okay. That's a reason at least. Everybody learn from ERV.

I suspected it had little to do with expressing disagreement and exposing erroneous ideas like the other people have been telling me. It's personal, isn't it?

I can see something similar with Vacula. He's been holding a grudge since Stephanie Zvan made that petition against his appointment for whatever it was, isn't he?

Sometimes, when amoral ideologues do bad things, like harass and intimidate people, it CAN get personal for some. That doesn't make a response any less valid, unless you can show evidence of the same kind of bad behavior on the part of the previously attacked person.

But for me, it's because they are hateful chronic liars, irrational ideologues, and hypocrites, all of which could be overlooked.....if they weren't also urging their views to be accepted as mainstream, and trying to control who can speak and where, as in the conference scene, positions in organizations, and other venues. If they kept their hatred to themselves, it wouldn't matter for two shits. But to act like they do and seek leadership roles in a movement? Pure poison, as far as decent folks are concerned. I will continue to criticize whoever the hell I feel like as long as they continue acting like spoiled, bossy children while simultaneously demanding authority.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

I have to say, it's rather shocking to suddenly realize I must have been adopted - from Hungary! :shock:

hogy vagy?

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

welch wrote:
jose wrote:Um, wrong word? (not a native speaker here). I meant he probably resents Zvan for making the petition so now he won't let go. Kinda like what ERV just said. Personal. If it isn't the case, just say it. But ERV's reason to keep this up for months makes more sense than anything you guys have told me so far.
Why is FTB harassing us? Why are they having you harass us for them?
I believe the proper term is 'useful idiot'. Poor Jose, doing the dirty work for those too cowardly to do it for themselves. Wake up, Jose, you are being used. It makes you look like a chump.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Romanians may have small dicks, but they surely have big balls (for rebelling, deposing, and killing Nicolae Ceaușescu, that irredemable tyrant).

Or, maybe the data was skewed because of the vampiric population on Romania - everybody knows that vampires can't get a boner because they are undead. Damn you, Count Dracula!

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Whisky, lemons, chopped ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, honey, hot apple tea... it almost makes having a cold worth it.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Whisky, lemons, chopped ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, honey, hot apple tea... it almost makes having a cold worth it.
Yes, but don't tell ERV that she is wasting her time. Viruses, how do they work?

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Zenspace wrote:Has anyone else seen this:

Civil Discourse Between Atheists: A Concept Worth Promoting

http://anr.apartmentj.com/?p=1170
AHerrmit shows up with the official party line, again. :popcorn:

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

bhoytony wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:Whisky, lemons, chopped ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, honey, hot apple tea... it almost makes having a cold worth it.
Yes, but don't tell ERV that she is wasting her time. Viruses, how do they work?
Being drunk until the virus fucks off works for me.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

jose wrote:
ERV wrote:And btw, we do have blogs and forums dedicated to following and documenting the antics of creationists, dipshit. Im glad you follow/care about this issue.
Why didn't you create a forum dedicated exclusively to ridicule Charles Jackson, Luskin and Behe every day?

Panda's thumb is about creationism in general, not a few specific targets. By all means, criticize liberal feminism. But must you take it to the personal level and keep nagging them for months?

Listen ERV, I owe you. I discovered Susana Manrubia thanks to you and one of her papers was the inspiration for my graduation project. I have sent you a few emails with HIV news over the years. I remember you thanked me for keeping the conversation on target at one of the elevatorgate posts at ERV, now down. I also remember you thought Ouellette was leeching off scientists to make it big in Hollywood. But then you just didn't keep saying it again and again for months. You moved on to other things. Why not do that about this issue too? What's keeping everybody from moving on?

Maybe the fact that those we criticize are still very much in the daily habit of calling non-liberal-feminists rapists, rape enablers, mass murderers, harassers, woman-haters, and lying about what is said to and about them, and wilfully misrepresenting criticism as attacks and harassment, etc, etc, etc. Maybe because they are seeking authority and power within the atheist/skeptic/secular movement while they do it.

If they were to quit disgracefully and constantly lying about other people, I'd quit criticizing. It may interest you to know that some of us here have been reading the blogs involved for years, and this isn't just some trolling flame war gone wrong. I've been reading Pharyngula since 2005, and watched as PZ decided to push more of his politics and demonize dissenters. I've watched as a group of bloggers became less and less rational and more and more dishonest and vindictive. And now these same people want to label disagreement a crime, have the floor all to themselves as leaders, and cynically use hyped-up fears of rape and assault as a vehicle of self-promotion.

So, quit with the lying and bullshit definitions of "harassment", or go fuck yourself, which may be difficult with your head so firmly up your ass.

welch

Post by welch »

SCIENCE! FUCK YEAH!

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

[youtube]BPQ86BrrnGg[/youtube]

Just trying to help with the recent infestation.

You're welcome.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Celebrate! I can't wait to read the details when it's ready to be public. :)

welch

Post by welch »

So we should not be allowed to comment where the harassers are creating their harassment, but it's bad for us to create a safe space so that we might support each other?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:Doesn’t look much to me like the “principle of charity” that Novella was championing: “We have seen the enemy and he is us ….”
In certain circles this is probably going to go down as Steersman (the longwinded, the wind beneath my wings) and AndrewV69 (the merciful, the compassionate, who makes Steersman look like a saint).

Just saying.

welch

Post by welch »

Well, now that loseik is gone...

it's funny how, when we bring up the shit THEY say, the answer is always variants of "Just ignore it" or "you don't HAVE to respond", but that is somehow never an option for them.

Funny that.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

YAY ERV!!! :clap:

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Lsuoma wrote:And I've found an infallible way to make my cock 15" long. Fold it in half.
I know I'm late in coming, but I'm going to insert myself in the conversation anyway. I can't begin to tell you how badly I've wished to have a 15" dick, it would be so much easier to drag around than this heavy, clumsy fucker I have now. The thing is a curse I tells ya, I can't wear shorts in public, I can't find underwear that fit, it throws me off balance and it causes constant strain on my lower back.
But the absolute worst thing about it is I can never get a decent night's sleep....
When I get a piss hard-on in the middle of the night I don't have enough skin to keep my eyes shut.

If you believed a word of that, I have a couple of very nice bridges for sale.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

bhoytony wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
And Daltrey and Page were pretty good singers too.
I've heard that Robert Plant wasn't too bad either.
You corrected me very well there for a cunt, cunt!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jose wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
jose wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:He has teams of writters spending their days watching targeted individuals.
By all means, watch them every day. Just don't ridicule them for months, always the same handful of people, every day. Jon Stewart doesn't. Why do you?
Ok I promise. From now on I'll only criticize people once per month. Happy?
I don't get the fixation on those specific people. You disagree with lots of people on lots of things. Why keep these in particular on target?
They're teh fun that keeps on giving :-)

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

You must be extremely proud and excited. Hell, I'm proud and excited for you.

Way to go Abbie!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

What is jose on about?
The FTB crowd should be thanking us.
Apart from the drama posts whining about things we post here, they have little if any original content being produced by themselves.
And those original posts generate little of no traffic.
They use us to create profit for their network.
They should pay us!

Moving on, Sara Mayhew is winding up Ophelia and Svan, nicely. :D
http://i.imgur.com/2ra4L6H.jpg

Yes, it does conjure up an image.
http://i.imgur.com/do2PUDL.jpg

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

jose wrote:
If you make stupid comments on a daily basis, expect to be mocked on a daily basis. It's as simple as that!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice Jadehawks fling with science doesn't extend to sticking to actual facts.
She decides she can get away with blatantly lying through her teeth. (Well, it's Pharyngula, who is going to call her out!)

How Jadehawk reported what I said:
http://i.imgur.com/ZKvU8tj.jpg

What I actually said:
http://i.imgur.com/2ECfvT2.jpg
A little later notorious liar Ichthyic* pretends to be shocked, right after PZ, addressing our friend Erikthebassist, claims that we are always full of shit:

http://i.imgur.com/DA2YVXW.jpg

Jadehawk and Ichthyic are like a comic duo of liars.

I have never seen anyone on the Slymepit be as openly dishonest as the hypocritical scumbags that inhabit the Pharyngulag.

It's the shameless lying by the Pharyngulites that constantly reminds me that I am on the right side of the rift in the a/s community. It's PZ and his cult that are full of shit.

* See viewtopic.php?p=64676#p64676

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... xperiment/

Post by Guest »

harass someone?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
jose wrote:
ERV wrote: Number of times Behe contacted NatGeo trying to get my blog shut down: 0
Number of times Luskin tried to get me fired from speaking arrangements and banned from the venue: 0
Number of times Dembski wrote my department head and admins to get me fired from graduate school: 0

Ive said this before-- The FfTBers/Skepchicks learned their moves from Creationists, and took it all one step further.
Ah, see, okay. That's a reason at least. Everybody learn from ERV.

I suspected it had little to do with expressing disagreement and exposing erroneous ideas like the other people have been telling me. It's personal, isn't it?

I can see something similar with Vacula. He's been holding a grudge since Stephanie Zvan made that petition against his appointment for whatever it was, isn't he?
And we have a contender for today's dumbest comment.
Likely winner...

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

...and people say that we are the 'obsessed' ones? Look at this ridiculous comment from my "Blame and Intent" post. Holy fuck. This is from the same person who helped transcribe my 8-minute video and frequently comments on FTB.

I must be a masochist for responding and taking it seriously. I won't spoiler tag because the effect seems to be important, but please edit in follow-up quotes.

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2013 ... -816308051
athyco • 13 hours ago −
tl;dr: If I had only this article to go by, I would have to conclude that you are a horrible writer. That doesn't mean I think you're a horrible person. Don't think that's my intent.

(The teal deer abbreviation means you can stop reading now.)

Why do I think you're a horrible writer (not person)? One factor is that what you're written comes across as a mealy mouthed Pollyanna.

Some believe...
some are quick to...
Can someone justly claim offense...
impossible for someone to avoid blame...
Some seem quick to... (that's not my repetition error)
some believe...
some believe...
some believe...
some believe... (yeah--4x in one paragraph)

which individuals should use...
individuals who seem to believe...
individuals who are believed to be...
if the individual could not be expected to know...
to assign blame to that individual...
unfair to assign blame to any individual... (again, not my error)

horrible person because...
intent of a person...
feelings and beliefs of a person...
lack of exposure to persons of different backgrounds/cultures
claim offense following another person's words...

Gah..you're on SkepticInk. And in an article "extremely skeptical" of how "some" write/speak, you mouth platitudes and generalities. Have you ever thought of getting a second or third set of eyes to suggest helpful edits? What does the research say about such things as chilly climate, unconscious biases, and microaggressions? Somewhere on the 'net I've seen reference to a book with a chapter or two about those things.

Now to "some" content.

Claiming offense is often, if not always, extremely subjective. Anyone can claim offense following another person’s words or behavior and, in that process, hold others to unrealistic expectations. Can someone justly claim offense, for instance, because another person placed chewed bubble gum in a napkin rather than directly in a trash container? Clearly some cases of claiming offense can be quite irrational.
Yes, clearly. Only a child raised by wolves would disagree--because he wouldn't be socialized to understand it. Even though you're a horrible writer, I don't think you are a child raised by wolves. So, let's take your person placing chewed bubble gum in a napkin rather than directly in a trash can.

(Actually, unless the trash can is lined with a garbage bag, the custodial staff would prefer you first wrap it, so you could end the whole argument by telling the "offended" that it's a just-in-case considerate habit you've developed. If they're upset because you later leave that nasty thing lying there rather than take it to the trash can, that's a different problem and a new habit you should develop.)

Let's see if there are possible details one should consider and therefore employ adult-level situational awareness. (To begin with, I'm happy the chewed bubble gum wasn't thrown on the ground or stuck to the bottom of a table. That's just tacky.)

1) It's a plain paper napkin.
2) It's a paper napkin with a phone # your friend just got.
3) It's the napkin a friend's mother spent time beautifully embroidering.
4) It's an expensive linen napkin at a black tie reception.

♦ I think I'm perfectly free to claim offense/harm by any of these cases.
♦ You're perfectly free to ask me why I claim offense/harm.
♦ I'm perfectly free to give you my reason.
♦ You're perfectly free to agree with my reason (and then we're done).
♦ You're also perfectly free to disagree with my reason.
♦ I'm perfectly free to ask why you disagree with my reason.
♦ You're perfectly free to refuse to tell me (and then we're done).
♦ You're perfectly free to tell me.
♦ I'm perfectly free to argue that your reason is ridiculous.
♦ You're perfectly free to point out that my argument against your reason is ridiculous.
♦ I'm perfectly free to provide an analogy demonstrating that my argument is not ridiculous.
♦ You're perfectly free to demonstrate that my analogy doesn't fit my argument.
♦ Et cetera forever OR
♦ I'm perfectly free to say "aha" and agree with you OR
♦ You're perfectly free to say "aha" and agree with me OR
♦ You or I or both are perfectly free to say "This is going nowhere" and STOP. OR
♦ You are perfectly free to become a horrible person, even to try to disguise it with mealy-mouthed, self-serving "advice" for ideological opponents when you can't provide evidence that you demonstrate yourself following that advice until/unless prodded into it.

(Yes, I repeated "perfectly free" over and over to poke at your repetitions. That's because this piece was horribly written, not that I think you're a horrible person. Also, that ♦ section would be much better as a process diagram. Oh, also--you made up simplistic, blatantly self-serving examples. I mean, really--open/closed body language? wearing headphones on public transportation? waitstaff (hoping for a nice tip) using endearments? But that's just another example of your being a horrible writer. I don't think you're a horrible person.)

There are at least two things you don't get to tell me when I'm offended by your bubble gum disposal method: 1) I don't have the right to my own feelings and 2) I have to consider yours more highly first. I might do the second, but that's not up to you.

I am extremely skeptical when the phrase ‘intent is not magic’ seems to convey, as it often does, that there is no excuse for the behavior of individuals who are associated with others claiming offense. Giving others benefit of the doubt and having an open-minded attitude — rather than hastily and unfairly assuming others to be blameworthy — should be a more productive and charitable approach.
Oh, it "seems" to convey? That's a damned uncharitable opinion you have there. "[A]s it often does"? That's hastily asserted. Where's your evidence? "[N]o excuse for the behavior"? You're unfairly assuming that's what's being assumed! "[O]f individuals who are associated with others claiming offense"? That's not strictly a content problem; that's really horrible writing. You are a horrible writer. I don't think you're a horrible person.

Your vocabulary choices are so slanted that this piece would make a highly efficient inclined plane if the choices weren't also grating enough to increase the drag coefficient. Here's one person "claiming" offense "hastily and unfairly" while your suggestion is the "open-minded," "more productive," "charitable" "benefit of the doubt." (That's another specific example that you're a horrible writer, not a horrible person. Oh, I'd say at the least a muddled thinker, too, but still not a horrible person.)

"Intent is not magic" doesn't tell you that you have to agree that a behavior is bad/wrong/whatevs. It means that if someone tells you they find it bad/wrong/whatevs, you don't get to avoid an apology/reparation (on a range of minor to major apologies/reparations if you agree that it's bad/wrong/whatevs). Nor can you keep doing it around them or telling them what or how to think while still claiming, "But I don't intend to do anything bad/wrong/whatevs; you're bad/wrong/whatevs for not liking it! In such a case, I'd think you're an amazingly annoying bore, and they can tell you that. Be careful! They may decide that going on and on about it is enough to judge you a horrible person! They may use naughty words! Sorry--you don't object to those, do you? My bad.

(And yeah, that last "bad/wrong/whatevs" repetition was most likely overkill for my point that you're a horrible writer. But I don't think you're a horrible person. I'd probably find you a boringly frustrating person, but not a horrible person. The words "Dunning Kruger" might flash through my consciousness, but I wouldn't think you're a horrible person.)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jose wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
jose wrote:
Exactly. For instance, you wouldn't find somebody like Ophelia Benson, continually writing blog post after blog post about, say, Justin Vacula. Of course not, that would be harrassment.
She's been blogging for more than ten years and her blog used to be a lot more appealing to the casual reader. Then the monument and this forum happened and you guys started making ridiculing pictures about her and calling her ridiculing nicknames and so forth, to this day.
Shit, yeah! How fucking awesome is THAT, wankstain?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

justinvacula wrote: Here's a simple answer - I don't really care if people on Freethought Blogs write shit about me anymore. Before I publish anything on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, or my blog, I am well-aware that whatever I release will be critiqued, misrepresentated, and just another piece of wood on the raging fire.
:doh:

Otherwise, good post.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

It works, bitches!

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Guest wrote:
harass someone?
Nice hit and run post. Drive by trolling is typical creationist behavior. It's nice to see that you have taken their tactics to heart. Well played. You're changing minds one redarded post at a time.

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:
jose wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
jose wrote:
Exactly. For instance, you wouldn't find somebody like Ophelia Benson, continually writing blog post after blog post about, say, Justin Vacula. Of course not, that would be harrassment.
She's been blogging for more than ten years and her blog used to be a lot more appealing to the casual reader. Then the monument and this forum happened and you guys started making ridiculing pictures about her and calling her ridiculing nicknames and so forth, to this day.
Shit, yeah! How fucking awesome is THAT, wankstain?

WEEEE ARE TEH CHAMPEEENS
WEEEE ARE TEH CHAMPEEENS
NO TIME FOR LUSERS
'CAUSE WE ARE TEH CHAMPEEENS....

OF TEH WURRRRRRRRLD!!!!!

welch

Post by welch »

that was probably PeeZus. The fact Abbie, in a month, has done more science than he has in the last decade has to burn.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

16bitheretic wrote:Since someone mentioned women mocking men's penis sizes, I was reminded of the first half of this video by YouTube user Nate'sVlogs:

youtube ... pTXCmWmNDBE

*walks away slowly*
WTF? Is this how you spend your time?

Look here I am busy! busy busy busy. I do not need to fucking subscribe to natesvlogs and spend the rest of the fucking day watching a bunch of videos about WTF? each more full of WTF? than the last WTF?

I am never going to catch up on the Slymepit today or any time soon in the future. Not today anyway!

Fuck you! Fuck off! (and your little dog too).

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Here ya go andy

[youtube]qqI0k-Zu6QM[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss20 ... vation.gif

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Jose,

You only have to look at Opheliar's trollish and obsessive behaviour towards Shermer to see where the problem of "harassment" lies.

PS - As for Erik, of course he has flounced. Baboons don't survive for long on neutral ground. We pummel them pretty darn quickly.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Guest wrote:
harass someone?
Nice hit and run post. Drive by trolling is typical creationist behavior. It's nice to see that you have taken their tactics to heart. Well played. You're changing minds one redarded post at a time.
I assumed Guest was being humorous. There had just been a number of posts dealing with a very wide interpretation of harassment. So wide that almost anything might be considered harassment. Like: "Go harass the bar for a beer."

Funnier in my head...

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Well done ... just think, if you had applied yourself to blogging in that time you could have been one of the baboons!

But instead you went for some silly practical application of science for the benefit of the wider good!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Moving on, Sara Mayhew is winding up Ophelia and Svan, nicely. :D
http://i.imgur.com/2ra4L6H.jpg
Awesome. That is all.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Jose you fucking idiot. In case you didn't notice Stephanie Zvan just posted about Justin Vacula and was too lazy to even watch the fucking vid. She then had someone else transcribe it and posted that. She never even went through and gave any solid examples of what was wrong about it except maybe "we don't have to listen to you" Ophelia just posted a blog using large portions of a blog I had written and then claimed I didn't stand behind my own words followed by saying I had "changed". I'VE NEVER MET OPHELIA BENSON. Despite that she feels like she can not only misrepresent me but she wants people to believe she can tell if my personality has changed during a period where she didn't even know who I am. I don't give a shit if she wants to repost my blog but she has some fucking nerve to tell people what I think. How fucking disrespectful can someone get? WHAT THE FUCK?! These are only two examples. If you are too stupid to keep up or at least plant one foot in reality that is your problem, don't come in here and project your clueless shit on us. Harassing them? Really? With all due respect-Fuck Off

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

And that is why you're awesome.

Now you need your own theme tune! Phil, where are you when we need ye?!

Congrats!

Apples

Post by Apples »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Moving on, Sara Mayhew is winding up Ophelia and Svan, nicely. :D
Ophie of course has blogged about it - she appropriately titles her post, "Lazy Blogging, Bad Writing." First she snarks about Sara (Sara blogs about dresses), then justifies her style:
Ophie wrote:The first word I’ll say about that is “horseshit.” That’s horseshit. It’s not true, not as a generalization. Sometimes summarizing is preferable to quoting, but certainly not always. If it were always preferable, why would the Daily Show use so many clips? The Daily Show is quite popular, and also well thought of. It’s both. It’s considered good tv, good commentary, good humor, good news analysis. Part of what’s good is the use of video clips that show people saying things, so that we can all see exactly what they say and how they say it. A summary would not be better than that for the purposes of the show. The same goes for the Rachel Maddow show and plenty of other shows. The same goes for many many blogs that quote extensively. Some websites do nothing but link to others’ material with a headline and a teaser – like Arts and Letters Daily for example.
/derp
Anyway, Ophie, you are supposedly a "columnist" and "author," though you seem to spend incredibly little time writing essays or columns. I guess why that's why you are, for some bizarre reason, talking about TV shows. Also, there's not much wrong with quoting extensively as a writer/blogger, if you are also providing original material. But a 9-to-1 ratio of copy-paste to your own words is pretty tacky. And Ophie, I don't know Jon Stewart -- but I sure as hell know that you are no Jon Stewart, and Butterlies & Squeals is no Daily Show.
Ophie wrote:I’m interested in language and rhetoric, in the words people use and the possible reasons why they use them and the likely effects the words will have. When I’m looking at that I don’t want to summarize, I want to give the actual words, so that readers can see exactly what I’m talking about. This is a new genre that blogging makes possible in a way it wasn’t before. I like the genre, and I use it a lot.
Because she is so interested in language and rhetoric, that is why she produces so little original or interesting material. Because language. And rhetoric. Wow - I am now dumber for having read that. Also - your copy-pasta is a "new genre?" Holy-fucking-shit, call the Bloggies. God, Ophie, you are dull.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-writing/
http://www.freezepage.com/1362175722KVXZVKJOCL

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2013 ... el-nugent/

Two answers and questions for Michael Nugent | Justin Vacula's Blog
"Michael Nugent, writer and chair of the advocacy group Atheist Ireland, has authored a blog post addressing a recent Youtube video I uploaded. I recently provided advice for people sharing controversial opinions to reduce the negative feedback they experience on the internet. I will respond to Nugent’s post, addressed to me, which has two questions. I will then provide two questions of my own."