Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
windy

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by windy »

Confused people are confused about many things...
rat_theylive.png
(27.88 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
I'm not sure what that last one is supposed to mean but sounds like nasty stereotyping!

Southern

Post by Southern »

Git wrote:P.S. I know Vacula plays the stinking moustache-loving Alliance, I hope y'all are Horde?
Why would I play on the Horde? I can visit a slum like Orgrimmar every time I go to Rio de Janeiro.

erikthebassist

Post by erikthebassist »

ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:
Erikthebassist-- bravely defending women, but fuck those slobbering and screaming children!! Amirite?

Freak.
First of all, fuck off Abbie, go obsess over RW some more, seems to be what you're best at.
Yeah Abbie! I mean it's not like you don't also try to find the cure to a disease instead of whining incessantly on a blog about how mean people are on the internet and it hurts your widdle feelings. You spend a majority of your time in a lab doing something worthwhile to humanity but Erik has it totally right. What you're best at is obsessing over a narcissistic, attention seeking feminist who absolutely doesn't obsess over others. It's not like you touched a nerve with Erik and he isn't crying rage tears over it.

/Sarcasm mode off-lurking mode reengaged
It's not my fault she's more notorius for this feud than she is admired for the great work she's doing in virology. That's all her own doing.

Apples

bad stats Friday

Post by Apples »

Skepchick popularity index update: So far this month, excepting one popular post from Elyse soliciting people's opinions about their eating habits and veganism/health-food, there have been 17 posts attracting a total of 98 comments, or an average of about 6 comments per article, maybe 13 comments per day.

Just for perspective - during the same period there have been over 3650 posts on the Slymepit, nearly 500 per day.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ERV wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:I live pay check to pay check, but I'd much rather go to work than stay at home with kids all day. I'm failing to understand why staying at home with slobbering and screaming kids is a privilege.
What is it with FfTBers/Skepchicks and their 'fans' being terrible with children?

Erikthebassist-- bravely defending women, but fuck those slobbering and screaming children!! Amirite?

Freak.
Yes, it's striking how few of the FtB/A+/Skepchick bloggers & commentariat seem to have children and/or like (or even tolerate) childen.

It may not be coincidence. Interacting with and appreciating children takes some traits that we don't seem to see on display much in their venues (though of course both those and the 'Pit are intended for adults), for example:
  • patience
  • empathy (particularly as in, the ability to understand what someone who's quite different from you is feeling)
  • self-sacrifice (even in little ways, LOL like getting a shower or sleep or any uninterrupted time, when they're very young)
  • ability to modulate communication to the situation (especially not responding in anger to anger)
  • use of humor (helpful tool in interacting with kids, much less with people in general, but not crucial)
  • ability to appreciate or at least tolerate things that may seem "beneath" an adult, for example being silly

erikthebassist

Post by erikthebassist »

Skep tickle wrote:
welch wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:What I was refuting is that using staying at home to care for children as an example of how women are privileged over men is bullshit. For some people it's a great experience, for others, it's a private hell. In any case, it's not easy and can't be considered to generally be a privilege, unless that's your thing, but that's an individual life decision, not an advantage that women have over men.
only if you define "privilege" really narrowly. Which of course, you will do, because if you look at the entire issue, your narrative isn't as strong. ...
It's an advantage - I'd call it a "privilege" - to readily have the CHOICE to pursue that individual life decision.

Not all families have the luxury of deciding whether or not one parent will stay home.

When they do, it has generally been easier for a woman to feel she has the option of staying home than a man, for historical/cultural reasons (& assumptions). That's changing, which is a good thing.

The privilege here is of having the more ready and wider RANGE OF OPTIONS in making life decisions. Even if that "privilege" is not in the SJW playbook.
It is changing, and that is indeed a good thing, and I don't disagree that having the financial stability to make a choice is a privilege, but what I'm specifically refuting was your original comment about women being privileged because they traditionally "get" to stay at home. Historically, they did not have the choice and in many cultures, not only around the world but here in the states as well, they still do not.

Point: If they have the choice, it's a privilege, if they don't have a choice, it's a sentence for some.

LMU

Post by LMU »

erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:

Freak.
First of all, fuck off Abbie, go obsess over RW some more, seems to be what you're best at.
Yeah Abbie! I mean it's not like you don't also try to find the cure to a disease instead of whining incessantly on a blog about how mean people are on the internet and it hurts your widdle feelings. You spend a majority of your time in a lab doing something worthwhile to humanity but Erik has it totally right. What you're best at is obsessing over a narcissistic, attention seeking feminist who absolutely doesn't obsess over others. It's not like you touched a nerve with Erik and he isn't crying rage tears over it.

It's not my fault she's more notorius for this feud than she is admired for the great work she's doing in virology. That's all her own doing.
She might be more known for that in certain atheist circles, but if so, I don't think that's "all her own doing". I don't wish to convey that she didn't do anything, just that it wasn't her doing the most advertising for the Slymepit.

Also if you want people to engage you at your blog, please put a link to it in your signature. If you are happy to continue commenting here, then disregard.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:

Freak.

Well, more notorious to you, because you're a sniveling little child who focuses on these things. You see, what you did there is solipsistic narcissism. "I don't like Abbie because she said something mean about RW. Therefore, that's what everyone thinks about Abbie!"

Grow the fuck up.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:

Freak.

More "notorius [sic]" among shit-sipping fucktards like you perhaps.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:

Freak.

I'd be really interested in how you have come to that conclusion. How do you objectively rate "notoriety" in one area against "admiration" in another unrelated one? Methods, please.

Apples

Post by Apples »

erikthebassist wrote:It's not my fault she's more notorius for this feud than she is admired for the great work she's doing in virology. That's all her own doing.
Let's see... where's that video that was posted like.... two hours ago? Ah, here it is.

[youtube]JmpPYB-7e_o[/youtube]

Southern

Post by Southern »

erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:

Freak.

Of course it's not your fault. That's PZ Fucking Myers and his gang of mentally-scarred imbeciles' fault.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:
welch wrote: She also completely, completely ignores the fact that up until the last decade, maybe two, women gamers, as far as anyone could tell, didn't really exist in force. This was due to ignorance and programmer bias, at least mostly. Game designers were mostly male, and so wrote the games they wanted to play. The early financiers of video games were? Male. So you have an industry largely run by and for men.
This is somewhat too apologetic for my tastes, and is honestly the line that bugs me most about this entire thing.

What stopped women and girls from playing games in the 90s? The fact that there were no female protagonists? There was a time before 3D graphics and remotely developed video game plots. Where were all of them then? Because I remember the 90s, and the word gamer was synonymous with 'neckbeard loser with too much time on his hands'.

Even in early and mid 2000s, female gamers were rare, and your point is becoming more salient, but the industry had almost overwhelmingly a male audience. There were hundreds of games made that didn't involve looking at a protagonist/storied self insertion. Why weren't they playing these? When did this inclusion of women just become so much of an issue?
Eh? I always empathised strongly with the paddle in pong (lefty obviously the right one was a fascist) and the frog in frogger. But i can see where the problem was with pac-MAN but the industry soon wised up to this and ms pacman was a runaway success bringing teh ladees into gaming.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Apples wrote:
Submariner wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that axis authoritarian/libertarian?? That would make Ceepolk a Libertarian?!??
Yeah - It wasn't clear whether it was the standard political axis quiz. All I know is that on the self-awareness scale she is an off-the-charts oblivious hypocrite and a walking example of how certain personalities abuse power once they get the slightest taste of it.
The Authoritarians is a good read... and free as a download from his site at the University of Manitoba, but the quiz is evaluating how much of an authoritarian follower you are. Altemeyer's research is on why people follow leaders blindly. It doesn't surprise me that Ceepolk doesn't answer such a survey in such a way that he comes out as a follower since I'm sure he thinks he's a leader.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Apples wrote:Wonderist, every time you say Evidence Chicken I just think of Robot Chicken.
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/secti ... _17638.jpg
Can you summarize your patented internet debate techniques in just a brief paragraph or two, or do I need to review the entire oeuvre.
I have (put it into a brief paragraph, after some intro) in previous comments.

Regardless, as short as possible:
  1. Turtle-shell defense till dog-pilers get tired
  2. Make weak-sounding (but actually strong) claim as bait
  3. When bait is taken, escalate by strongly defending bait claim
  4. Call chicken. Game is on.
  5. Call their bluffs until they chicken out completely.
  6. Lather rinse repeat on next adversary. Works every time.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Reading back over the last few pages I don't know which I find stranger, that grown adults are upset about some games they are playing or that they will admit to it in public.
Regarding the does erik hate kids debate, I have to say that even if he doesn't I can't stand to be near the horrible fucking things. Luckily this fits nicely with the fact that there are way too many people in the world today and it's about time they stopped pumping sprogs out to satisfy their own selfishness.
Also, is Wonderist surviving on a diet of coffee and amphetamine sulphate? He does seem a bit excitable.
Is there anybody I haven't upset? Let me know.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

erikthebassist wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
welch wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:What I was refuting is that using staying at home to care for children as an example of how women are privileged over men is bullshit. For some people it's a great experience, for others, it's a private hell. In any case, it's not easy and can't be considered to generally be a privilege, unless that's your thing, but that's an individual life decision, not an advantage that women have over men.
only if you define "privilege" really narrowly. Which of course, you will do, because if you look at the entire issue, your narrative isn't as strong. ...
It's an advantage - I'd call it a "privilege" - to readily have the CHOICE to pursue that individual life decision.

Not all families have the luxury of deciding whether or not one parent will stay home.

When they do, it has generally been easier for a woman to feel she has the option of staying home than a man, for historical/cultural reasons (& assumptions). That's changing, which is a good thing.

The privilege here is of having the more ready and wider RANGE OF OPTIONS in making life decisions. Even if that "privilege" is not in the SJW playbook.
It is changing, and that is indeed a good thing, and I don't disagree that having the financial stability to make a choice is a privilege, but what I'm specifically refuting was your original comment about women being privileged because they traditionally "get" to stay at home. Historically, they did not have the choice and in many cultures, not only around the world but here in the states as well, they still do not.

Point: If they have the choice, it's a privilege, if they don't have a choice, it's a sentence for some.
I don't understand, why do they not have the choice?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

erikthebassist wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
welch wrote:

Please show me where I said I thought "women [are or were] privileged because they traditionally 'get' to stay at home."

I said they NOW have more CHOICE in this area than men do. Yes, that's because of the HISTORY in Western culture of many women raising children in the home (note, women in lower classes did work outside the home and that included caring for other people's children, in other people's homes or in schools or institutions). Be careful of assuming that stuff like you'd see on 1960's TV reflects the reality of people's experiences, male and female, in all classes and all cultures and all of history.
Skep tickle wrote:use of humor (helpful tool in interacting with kids, much less with people in general, but not crucial)
Gah, my meaning was "helpful tool in interacting with kids, and also with people in general..."

Off to work. TTFN.

agarybuseychristmas

Post by agarybuseychristmas »

erikthebassist wrote:

In most cultures, it'd be the preferred vocation of most compared to destroying their bodies labouring for 15 hours a day.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Yay! I've finally caught up! Fuck! It's only going to last a few minutes!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

bhoytony wrote:Reading back over the last few pages I don't know which I find stranger, that grown adults are upset about some games they are playing or that they will admit to it in public.
Regarding the does erik hate kids debate, I have to say that even if he doesn't I can't stand to be near the horrible fucking things. Luckily this fits nicely with the fact that there are way too many people in the world today and it's about time they stopped pumping sprogs out to satisfy their own selfishness.
Also, is Wonderist surviving on a diet of coffee and amphetamine sulphate? He does seem a bit excitable.
Is there anybody I haven't upset? Let me know.
As a hefty overbreeder myself and a keen gamer i can quite happily declare myself unupsetted.
C- must try harder jock.
Now if you'd said we should all go vegan...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Speaking of Tardigrades (well we were, a few pages back)...

http://i.imgur.com/B2jjftH.jpg

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

jimthepleb wrote: As a hefty overbreeder myself and a keen gamer i can quite happily declare myself unupsetted.
C- must try harder jock.
I wasn't trying to upset anybody, I just know that a lot of folk get very pissy if you say anything about grownups playing games or their children.

P.S. my name is not John

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AspieAtheist wrote:
lonesagi wrote:From Nugget's place:
Sara Mayhew March 8, 2013 at 4:56 am wrote: Hey! I have some questions!

1) What do you expect from a site called THE SLIME PIT?
2) How are people who dislike the Slime Pit’s content finding out about what’s there?
3) Why not ignore the Slime Pit and not visit it?

Seriously. The place is pretty transparent in its name about its attitude and content i.e.: pit of slime… So if you’re not looking to hang out it a “pit” that contains “slime”, why are you going?

It would be pretty mean to setup a MeanThingsAboutSaraMayhew.com but if I went there and read those mean things then complained they were harassing me there, would you really feel all that sorry for me? After all, I don’t have to go there.

Anyway…I’m off to join ChritianMingle.com so I can complain I’m being discriminated against for being atheist…
I find it amazing to hear that Sara Mayhew thinks that people here care about what she's saying enough to create a 'hate site' about her.

What is it with her paranoia regarding this? It seems to be misplaced and unnecessary.

Also, I wonder if she's realised that nobody cares about her enough to do that?
I do not think that was what she was saying. I susggest a re-read of her points. People have the option of not reading shit that will disturb them.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

bhoytony wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: As a hefty overbreeder myself and a keen gamer i can quite happily declare myself unupsetted.
C- must try harder jock.
I wasn't trying to upset anybody, I just know that a lot of folk get very pissy if you say anything about grownups playing games or their children.

P.S. my name is not John
Sorry i also forgot that 'diminutives are insults' I can be a cunt like that.
Anyway tits to squeeze and fannys to fondle.
Speaking of which; I wonder if a 'fanny punt' would have been less offensive to OB being a merkin, than it would be to a brit or antipodean?

Southern

Post by Southern »

bhoytony wrote:
C- must try harder jock.

P.S. my name is not John
Not as pissy, however, as jocks and party-party-party people get when you say to them that partying and getting drunk doesn't seem to be as funny as they think it is.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Strawkins, that's very unfair. Tardigrades can cope with pretty much anything; Setar would have difficulty coping with a duvet.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

AndrewV69 wrote:
AspieAtheist wrote:
lonesagi wrote:From Nugget's place:
Sara Mayhew March 8, 2013 at 4:56 am wrote: Hey! I have some questions!

1) What do you expect from a site called THE SLIME PIT?
2) How are people who dislike the Slime Pit’s content finding out about what’s there?
3) Why not ignore the Slime Pit and not visit it?

Seriously. The place is pretty transparent in its name about its attitude and content i.e.: pit of slime… So if you’re not looking to hang out it a “pit” that contains “slime”, why are you going?

It would be pretty mean to setup a MeanThingsAboutSaraMayhew.com but if I went there and read those mean things then complained they were harassing me there, would you really feel all that sorry for me? After all, I don’t have to go there.

Anyway…I’m off to join ChritianMingle.com so I can complain I’m being discriminated against for being atheist…
I find it amazing to hear that Sara Mayhew thinks that people here care about what she's saying enough to create a 'hate site' about her.

What is it with her paranoia regarding this? It seems to be misplaced and unnecessary.

Also, I wonder if she's realised that nobody cares about her enough to do that?
I do not think that was what she was saying. I susggest a re-read of her points. People have the option of not reading shit that will disturb them.
She posted this picture.

http://www.gravija.com/wp-content/uploa ... mepit2.jpg

I feel hurt. :cry:

Images meant as satirical comment are just too cruel. :snooty:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Southern wrote:
skepandsprinkles wrote:
Southern wrote:
If you are willing to dig some old JRPGs, I can reccomend some games with female protagonists that are very good games on their own: Final Fantasy III, Valkyrie Profile, Rhapsody, La Pucelle, Hudra's Treasure, Secret of Mana 2, any game on the Atelier Series (except Atelier Iris 1, 2 & 3, wich for some strange reason, got male protagonists), and I can probably go throught my collection and find some more. I also recommend Tales if Eternia, that has one of my favorite female characters ever: Farah Oersted.
I've played a few of them and did like them

You should have made a Cloth-armor wearer, then. I have a female Draenei mage (because I think male Draeneis look ridiculous, and I really wanted the +1% racial Hit bonus), and the cloth robes she wears don't show anything unnecessary. Also, I usually transmogrif her clothing to the old T1, T2, T7 or dungeons sets which have open headgear instead of cloaks or hats, because I think most of them look silly.
I have an 85 of every class except rogue and monk and 90 druid, mage, warlock, and paladin.

That would be great. I like Final Fantasy XIII (even if nobody else does), and one of the strongest points, to me, is Lightning. People seem to think that she's a female version of Cloud from FF VII, but they forget that Cloud was mentally unstable until the end of the game. Light have no mental problems: she's snarky, assertive, and kicks ass, but without being bitchy (well, most of the time - nobody's perfect all the time). Oh, and she punches Snow in the face when he's being annoying as hell, so that is a +10 for me.
Lightning is an awesome character but the Final Fantasy games just don't have that sparkle that they once did.
Well, I think I have the solution for you: Paladin's T2 Judgement set. You can get it soloing Black Wing Lair raid (totally feasible as of now) and Molten Core (piece of cake) for the leg pieces. And it looks badass.

For a shield (if you are Protection), solo Black Temple and Illidan drops an awesome shield that goes very well with the T2 set.
Oh, I had some awesome sets, it's just that the RP outfits were sometimes hard to put together. I occasionally want my character to look "normal".
Sorry, then. I never could understand your RP server people, talking in character and all that fancy stuff. I, for myself, only talk when I'm swearing at someone because they blasted the Empress's Dissonance Fields at the same time for the nth time this week.

I'm just happy that I quit WoW 3 years ago. No more bullshit.

I played with my boyfriend and we both dressed our characters like total sluts. I spent the first 20+ levels on my night-elf rogue dressed in nothing but a bikini and fur boots. I would often get nasty comments from people telling me to put some clothes on!

My boyfriend created a hot Blood Elf paladin and we scoured Azeroth trying to find the sexiest chain-mail bikinis. We did all of this semi-ironically but I would hate to see sexy armour disappear from games.

erikthebassist

Post by erikthebassist »

John Brown wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:

Freak.

Well, more notorious to you, because you're a sniveling little child who focuses on these things. You see, what you did there is solipsistic narcissism. "I don't like Abbie because she said something mean about RW. Therefore, that's what everyone thinks about Abbie!"

Grow the fuck up.
Ahh if it were only about the things she's said about RW, but it's not, she's a vindictive and vile human being, for all kinds of reasons, but that's just my humble opinion, and I don't have thetime or the inclination to bother justifying it to you, suffice it to say is that she shows up on the radar far too often for the disgusting crap that spews from her pie hole.

And once again, assigning motives or thoughts to people without justification, this pattern just keeps repeating it's self here. I never said "that's what everyone thinks about Abbie", I said she is notorius because of this feud she's engaged in with RW, which is the objective truth. Obviously there are people who think she's just great, I'm just not one of them. So take your solipsistic narcissism and go get fucked. You shouldn't use big words if you don't know what they mean.

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

Oh, I like having slutty options, I just wish they balanced it out more with awesome looking nunfits.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

erikthebassist wrote:
Ahh if it were only about the things she's said about RW, but it's not, she's a vindictive and vile human being, for all kinds of reasons, but that's just my humble opinion, and I don't have thetime or the inclination to bother justifying it to you, suffice it to say is that she shows up on the radar far too often for the disgusting crap that spews from her pie hole.

And once again, assigning motives or thoughts to people without justification, this pattern just keeps repeating it's self here. I never said "that's what everyone thinks about Abbie", I said she is notorius because of this feud she's engaged in with RW, which is the objective truth. Obviously there are people who think she's just great, I'm just not one of them. So take your solipsistic narcissism and go get fucked. You shouldn't use big words if you don't know what they mean.
Objective truth? Really? Cause it seems rather subjective to me. She's notorious to some and not notorious to others. Is she notorious to the people she works for/with? Is she notorious to the millions of people her research is benefiting? Or, is she just notorious to you tiny circle of online friends?

Like I said, you are being a solipsistic, narcissistic child.

It's rather cute that you are lecturing me on what words means when you have such a horrendous grasp on how to use them. But, do carry on.

Also, kindly grow the fuck up if you wish to be taken seriously.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

erikthebassist wrote:
John Brown wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:

Grow the fuck up.

Translation: "Oh the powerful and incisive arguments I could make to back up my statements -- if only I had the 'time and inclination'. Fear me oh people of the pit!"

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

John Brown wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:

Objective truth? Really? Cause it seems rather subjective to me. She's notorious to some and not notorious to others. Is she notorious to the people she works for/with? Is she notorious to the millions of people her research is benefiting? Or, is she just notorious to you tiny circle of online friends?

Like I said, you are being a solipsistic, narcissistic child.

It's rather cute that you are lecturing me on what words means when you have such a horrendous grasp on how to use them. But, do carry on.

Also, kindly grow the fuck up if you wish to be taken seriously.
To the pathetic little worms that feed off the excrement of Beccy, Pheelie, Peezus, and company; "objective truth" is whatever they're spoon fed from their masters' anuses.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Southern wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
C- must try harder jock.

P.S. my name is not John
Not as pissy, however, as jocks and party-party-party people get when you say to them that partying and getting drunk doesn't seem to be as funny as they think it is.
Is this aimed at me? I think you may be mistaking what jimthepleb means when he refers to me as a Jock. Over here it doesn't mean the same thing as it does on the other side of the pond. He means I am a sweaty sock, a porridge wog, a native of Alba.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Karmakin wrote: I agree. Actually, I think WoW (and other MMO's) found the best solution to the clothing problem, via Transmutation type systems, where people could find the outfit that they WANTED to wear and use that independently of the stats, and it became a thing of personal expression. Options are the solution here.
I do Second Life, which I guess is technically a MMORPG, but I would say is more of a social medium in which games can be played. My experience is mostly with the live music scene there, so I can't tell you much about the rest of it..

You have a lot of control in how your avatar looks in SL. The basic startup ones you choose male or female, you can change the general form like height, weight etc, then start using the free clothing etc. But then you can go into the marketplace there and start obtaining other stuff that other users have created (like you can buy an avatar of the FSM if you want, or animals, etc etc. Not many limits...

But here's the thing. There are a large number of women that still go for the playboy style body in skimpy attire. (I know, not all of them are really women at the keyboard, but I've met enough in real life to know they aren't all male). I would even say most. Maybe it's just the fact that it's safe to do that there, but I still find it odd.

BTW, my avatar looks a lot like me... I had someone use photos of my head from all sides and stretch it over a skin for my avatar. I'm a skinnier me in SL, since fattening up the body form I had looked odd, but I still look like the balding old fart I am in real life. I'm an oddity there, though.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Erik - you've already been corrected on this once. Notorious is spelled with a 'u.'

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

erikthebassist wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
welch wrote:

*Historically* women did the same work as men.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20186_6- ... es_p2.html

Check #2.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

erikthebassist wrote:Ahh if it were only about the things she's said about RW, but it's not, she's a vindictive and vile human being, for all kinds of reasons, but that's just my humble opinion, and I don't have thetime or the inclination to bother justifying it to you, suffice it to say is that she shows up on the radar far too often for the disgusting crap that spews from her pie hole.

Bolding mine.

That swagger of yours is not quite convincing. :eusa-violin:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Patrick wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:So, I'm looking at stats and referrers for my site and saw that FTB came up over the past day. Curiosity got the better of me so I decided to check it out. It's a PZ Thunderdome post. I searched for my last name and here are the nifty things that came up:

. . .
pz3.JPG
I wonder if I should send a gift basket as a thank you for the oodles of views?
Imagine that, pro-choice and pro-gun (and egalitarian to boot). However will they put you in one of their little boxes if you keep being so consistent in your values?
I hope it drives them nuts trying to do so :D

Apples

Post by Apples »

LOL I mean notorious is spelled with an 'o.'

Southern

Post by Southern »

bhoytony wrote:
Southern wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
C- must try harder jock.

P.S. my name is not John
Is this aimed at me? I think you may be mistaking what jimthepleb means when he refers to me as a Jock. Over here it doesn't mean the same thing as it does on the other side of the pond. He means I am a sweaty sock, a porridge wog, a native of Alba.
No, not at you. I don't know you, so I cannot assume that you are one of those "wohooo! PARTY!" types that find annoying.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Apples wrote:LOL I mean notorious is spelled with an 'o.'
On a forum without and edit button, one must be damned careful about correcting peoples' grammar & spelling.

windy

Post by windy »

Apples wrote:Just in case you were wondering whether anyone ever jumps the wall into East Berlin -- it's not a 'Pit defector to FTB, but a JREF defector to A+:
The JREF thread on A+/FTB has been very good, btw. But it's polite and constructive, so of course they pay little attention to it.
http://67.228.115.45/showthread.php?t=242361&page=128

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

erikthebassist wrote:

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/quot+ ... 47db59.jpg

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I don't know why all the chicks are whining about there being no computer games for them. Look at these, Fashion Craze, Supermarket Mania, Happy Tails Animal Shelter, Horse camp, what more do you want?

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3125 ... b8e1e2.png

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

erikthebassist wrote:

I thought you had flounced off? I guess the prospect of 'victim points' is too heady for you to stick it. Go back to your masters, child. You are a bore. And to the other who keep replying to this loser...don't. You are giving him what he craves, attention. What we have here is Oolon the Second. Trololololo.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Pitchguest wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
welch wrote:

*Historically* women did the same work as men.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20186_6- ... es_p2.html

Check #2.
http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/tr ... _woman.htm
Trial by combat (or, more formally, judicial duels) were increasingly unusual by the end of the middle ages, but they were still an accepted part of legal theory and practice through the renaissance. They could be used in cases of treason (since judges were agents of the king, and the king was the offended party, it was a way to preserve impartiality) and a variety of other criminal and civil cases where there was not overwhelming evidence on one side or the other. Only a few people were exempt - clergymen, for instance - and women were not among them. As a result, women sometimes fought.

In 1467, Hans Talhoffer wrote his Fechtbuch giving illustrated instructions on how duels with a great variety of weapons should be fought. One section deals with combats between a man a woman. R. Coltman Clephan, following R.L Pearsall, reports that, while these were rare in Germany after about 1200, a number of illustrations refer to them. The set-up pictured by Talhoffer is common, but not universal. Apparently, they were most common between husband and wife (because otherwise she would have less trouble finding a champion?) Talhoffer presents his isntructions without special comment, and his advice applies to both combatants. He gives two different versions of a fight, one with the man victorious, one with the woman winning.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Southern wrote:
No, not at you. I don't know you, so I cannot assume that you are one of those "wohooo! PARTY!" types that find annoying.
Once upon a time maybe.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:

I thought you had flounced off? I guess the prospect of 'victim points' is too heady for you to stick it. Go back to your masters, child. You are a bore. And to the other who keep replying to this loser...don't. You are giving him what he craves, attention. What we have here is Oolon the Second. Trololololo.
Oh, I don't reply to people like this for their sake. I do it so everyone who may be lurking can see for themselves how these discussions go down.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:

Looks like. He's had a week or more of thoughtful comments, some directed at him personally, and he responds to a snarky offhand remark by ERV.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I have three daughters. Their favorite video game is Minecraft.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

debaser71 wrote:I have three daughters. Their favorite video game is Minecraft.
For some reason, I feel no need to explain my child rearing and/or gaming habits.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Sally Strange is having one of her 'turns' and freaking out Derek from Atheist Ireland :?

http://i.imgur.com/VIfTtMI.jpg

erikthebassist

Post by erikthebassist »

Eskarina wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ElenaG wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:
ERV wrote:

Freak.

I'd be really interested in how you have come to that conclusion. How do you objectively rate "notoriety" in one area against "admiration" in another unrelated one? Methods, please.
run these two googles searches and look at the difference in hits:

abbie smith erv

abbie smith erv -skepchick -elevatorgate -rebecca -watson -twatson

LMU

Post by LMU »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Sally Strange is having one of her 'turns' and freaking out Derek from Atheist Ireland :?

http://i.imgur.com/VIfTtMI.jpg
Has anyone mentioned to him that they are trying to poison the well here? Or does it seem like he's figured that out on his own? (That's what they were doing earlier and I assume they still are. In which case SS's point is probably something to the effect that we are all evil liars.)

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

So this is what not engaging looks like.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

In the last few years, I finished three Dungeons and Dragons mega-adventures The Shackled City, Age of Worms, and Savage Tide. Many of the NPCs -- including main villains and supporting characters -- in the three adventures were female*. The Greyhawk universe in which I had the games set in, additionally, include many strong, powerful, and intelligent women...far from any 'damsels in distress.'In tabletop gaming, from my experience, campaigns are largely egalitarian and, of course, players can play as females or males. The Living Greyhawk campaign I participated in from 2005-2008 had so many NPC females who were main movers and shakers in the story.

Sarkessian talks about 'hundreds of examples' of the 'damsel in distress,' but we can also list 'hundreds of examples' of games with women as main characters -- especially role-playing games -- such as Final Fantasy 10, Final Fantasy 10-2 (all three main playable characters are women) Final Fantasy Tactics, Legend of the Dragoon, Parasite Eve, Legend of Legaia 2, and Legend of Legaia.

...I wonder, too, about the trope of 'men as utility' who go to war and die for a king, country, or some cause - who are seen as nothing more than plot devices in video games. I suppose the men don't matter, though.

I use 'female' instead of 'women' because it may be odd to consider non-humans 'women.' Sarkessian uses the word 'female' in the video anyway :p

decius

Post by decius »

erikthebassist wrote:
run these two googles searches and look at the difference in hits:

abbie smith erv

abbie smith erv -skepchick -elevatorgate -rebecca -watson -twatson
Run these two googles searches and look at the difference in hits:

PZ Myers Zebra Fish

PZ Myers skepchick -elevatorgate -rebecca -watson -twatson

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

I'll never forget the 7 year old girl that came in and desperately wanted Black Ops. Little girl, wherever you are, I hope your dad gave in and got it for you.