In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
CommanderTuvok

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by CommanderTuvok »

MarcusAu wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Cracked + Eiynah = a match made in heaven?

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experie ... -life.html

That's Nice Mangos isn't it?

Rather a mixed bag - I was a bit put off by her twitter-spat with Yasmin Mohommed.

She has a blog too - if anyone is interested:

http://nicemangos.blogspot.co.uk/2017/0 ... latan.html
Mangos is increasingly a loon, lashing out at "centrists", and increasingly sounding deranged in a style reminiscent of CJ Werleman or Dan Arel. I've muted her.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Brive1987 wrote:What the fuck is this bullshit?

http://i.imgur.com/Rxz8fD2.jpg
Lol. Dana Hunter was the one who spoiled that "dinner with PZ Myers" that Ophelia Benson was going to have with them. How fucking middle class. This was around the time of the transphobia allegations against Benson.

I don't think Benson ended up having dinner with the pair, and last time I checked social media, Ofie has not had any contact with Dana or PZ since (2 years ago).

:lol:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

MarcusAu wrote:There is much criticism of the rise of white separatism amoungst the poor working class whites.

But I don't see it as being distinct from 'white flight' which has been de facto for the white middle class for over half a century. Although, it may not necessarily be racist to move to a better neighbourhood as your economic situation improves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight
If PoC were in a majority, and richer than whites, and white people congregated in certain areas, I'm certain we would see "PoC flight". It does appear to me just a human trait to want to be among people of the same culture (I stress culture over colour, because "white flight" also exists when say, white Eastern Europeans "move in").

Of course, middle class people, who have the means and capital to set up shop elsewhere quickly, are the first ones to go. Middle class SJWs are a great example of "white flight" in action.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I don't need my 'heroes' to be perfect. (I don't need heroes, but you get it.) Peterson's christianity sounds something like Brodie's or Spong's, and I can live with that.

At 3:46, Peterson describes ritualistic ideology bereft of philosophy as a surrogate for religion, using veganism as an example. I don't have a problem for this. Peterson surely didn't intend it so, but it's a strong condemnation of SJW, Plusser-style humanism posing as atheism.

Vegan boy chose to completely ignore the context or Peterson's real point (a set-up of what he was being asked and the topic of that lecture would've been in order.) So I stopped watching. Also, because: vegans.
As mentioned by Peterson himself, he is popular because he is telling a story about personal responsibility. His overall life concept is that behaving honorably, honestly, and with nobility, is the best method to find fulfillment. This is a breath of fresh air for many people, including me. I find much of what Peterson says to be a kind of "just-so" story. Still, I really enjoy his point of view and much of his advice on how to live is spot on.

Po mo philosophers like Noam Chomski ridicule all forms of honor. They claim it is a joke. The problem is that destroying honor also destroys much of the guiding rules about how to behave. A world that is bereft of a code of honorable behavior just becomes a life that seeks hedonistic pleasure and little else. Or it is a world full of butt-hurt cry-baby SJWs.... yeah.

It is weird for me, but many of the 1970s protest songs that I used to love are starting to bother me. So many songs ridiculed people who did their duty. Yesterday I found myself singing along to "Boston".... "We wont have any competition... all that I want is to have my peace of mind." WTF? This doesn't even make any sense to me anymore. Hippy Dippy shit. Then the ELP song "Lucky Man" came on and I could barely listen. No heroes for you!

Of course, that worm Al Sharpton doesn't want tax money to be used to maintain the Jefferson memorial. What a fucking worm. I really hate almost everyone on the left these days. How can anyone in America not want to honor the amazing things that Jefferson accomplished? Sure... Jefferson wasn't perfect... but Sharpton isn't worthy enough to even kiss the decomposed toes of someone like Jefferson.

Can someone be a non-libertarian non-leftist atheist? I guess so. Sort of a Dave Rubin style classic liberal (although I think Dave may be going full Libertard on us soon).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Chomsky any Pomo. You can criticise him on many grounds but he's not Pomo.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:The kid is not ONLY unfortunate in getting a Watson-like look. She also seems to have her personality!

jimhabegger wrote:Actually, she looks a lot like Ketchup to me, or how she might have looked ten years ago. Do you think ...?
Scented Nectar wrote:Uh oh, I have no idea who you're talking about. Has Lsuoma gone and swapped out words for other words again, or is there actually someone named Ketchup?
https://www.villagevoice.com/2013/09/17 ... d-ketchup/
I get it now. She looks like her too. Maybe someday they'll discover it's a type of mutant liberalism syndrome that comes complete with it's own appearance features. :lol:

John D

Post by John D »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:There is much criticism of the rise of white separatism amoungst the poor working class whites.

But I don't see it as being distinct from 'white flight' which has been de facto for the white middle class for over half a century. Although, it may not necessarily be racist to move to a better neighbourhood as your economic situation improves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight
If PoC were in a majority, and richer than whites, and white people congregated in certain areas, I'm certain we would see "PoC flight". It does appear to me just a human trait to want to be among people of the same culture (I stress culture over colour, because "white flight" also exists when say, white Eastern Europeans "move in").

Of course, middle class people, who have the means and capital to set up shop elsewhere quickly, are the first ones to go. Middle class SJWs are a great example of "white flight" in action.
I live is the quniticential white-flight area, the Northern suburbs of Detroit.

There are a few factors at work. One is just plain racism... no doubt. The racial history of Detroit is pretty bleak. Lots of white favoritism followed by black black protest etc. But, in the 1960s, Detroit was one of the most racially progressive cities in America. Most experts were taken by surprise when Detroiters started to riot. There was some heavy handed policing over vice issues. There was a big police push to shut down illegal night clubs called "Blind Pigs". People in neighborhoods hated the Blind Pigs because they happened in quiet neighborhoods where people wanted a peaceful life. The cops were trying to keep the neighborhoods peaceful. Anyway... the cops shot some people (in one case they shot a prostitute in the back as she ran) and people hit the streets.

Detroit was a very corrupt city for decades. So, things didn't work well. Taxes were high, but corruption ate up a large chunk of the money. People could get much more for their money in the suburbs. The middle class, which was mostly white, left the city for a home with a yard, good schools, and safe streets. It was a big value argument. Dad just had to be willing to drive 45 minutes to work every day. Mom thought this was worth it for the kids. Tons of people left the city even before the riots.

My folks didn't leave till well after the riots when my mom realized that all of her children had started school but there were no text books for a month. She told my Dad it was time to go. My Dad was reluctant, but finally agreed with my mom.

John D

Post by John D »

Shatterface wrote:Chomsky any Pomo. You can criticise him on many grounds but he's not Pomo.
Hmmm... okay.... if you say so. You are probably right about the labels. I don't know what philosophy I am trying to explain exactly. Maybe it is just leftism. The left, stating in the 1960s I guess, has degraded some foundation ethical models. These models are common on the right and include things like loyalty and honor. Perhaps Jonathan Heidt describes it well. I think Peterson is popular because he is embracing these ethical models, but he is not traditionally religious. What he is saying speaks to me because I am somewhat politically conservative, but I am also not religious. I think there are lots of people like me who are looking for a voice.

(yeah... and the Peterson discussion with Harris about the meaning of "truth" was really, really, bad... incoherent really.)

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

feathers wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Fucker still writhes if you touch it.
Can you still rattle it? Scare the beejesus out of your g/f.
He can still rattle it in front of his g/f, but only if he takes a little blue pill first.

One time, he rattled it for over four hours straight. Afterwards, he had to consult a physician !

Barbie's Boyfriend

jimhabegger wrote:
Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:... until Comstink returns
What happened to Com? I miss him. The Pit isn't the same for me without him.
Parole violation ???

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

MarcusAu wrote:Seems very quiet round here - is everyone still catching up with the Zoe Quinn autobiography?
She got a very sympathetic interview/ plug in New Scientist magazine , of all places, lately.

Really?

Post by Really? »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:
Did black people invent sneekers?
Looking further down the Breaking911 feed:
No wonder they cover themselves up.
This Portland protester has a friend with poor spatial perception.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/09/ ... 447265.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Maybe a ray of hope for reformation of islam: an important Indonesian muslim scholar publicly admitted that islam has a problem with violence:
Many Western politicians and intellectuals say that Islamist terrorism has nothing to do with Islam. What is your view?

Western politicians should stop pretending that extremism and terrorism have nothing to do with Islam. There is a clear relationship between fundamentalism, terrorism, and the basic assumptions of Islamic orthodoxy. So long as we lack consensus regarding this matter, we cannot gain victory over fundamentalist violence within Islam.

Radical Islamic movements are nothing new. They’ve appeared again and again throughout our own history in Indonesia. The West must stop ascribing any and all discussion of these issues to “Islamophobia.” Or do people want to accuse me — an Islamic scholar — of being an Islamophobe too?
What basic assumptions within traditional Islam are problematic?

The relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims, the relationship of Muslims with the state, and Muslims’ relationship to the prevailing legal system wherever they live … Within the classical tradition, the relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims is assumed to be one of segregation and enmity.

Perhaps there were reasons for this during the Middle Ages, when the tenets of Islamic orthodoxy were established, but in today’s world such a doctrine is unreasonable. To the extent that Muslims adhere to this view of Islam, it renders them incapable of living harmoniously and peacefully within the multi-cultural, multi-religious societies of the 21st century.
Finally! That's what all reasonable muslim scholars should say. I'm sure many will call takfir on him, but this isn't a matter of believing in a god or not, it's a matter of basic survival within a modern world. This is pure pragmatism.

The guy is clearly putting his neck on the line for this.
Who and what are responsible?
Over the past 50 years, Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states have spent massively to promote their ultra-conservative version of Islam worldwide. After allowing this to go unchallenged for so many decades, the West must finally exert decisive pressure upon the Saudis to cease this behavior ... I admire Western, especially European, politicians. Their thoughts are so wonderfully humanitarian. But we live in a time when you have to think and act realistically.

The last time I was in Brussels I witnessed some Arab, perhaps North African, youth insult and harass a group of policemen. My Belgian friends remarked that such behavior has become an almost everyday occurrence in their country. Why do you allow such behavior? What kind if impression does that make? Europe, and Germany in particular, are accepting massive numbers of refugees. Don’t misunderstand me: of course you cannot close your eyes to those in need. But the fact remains that you’re taking in millions of refugees about whom you know virtually nothing, except that they come from extremely problematic regions of the world.
Holy shit. The SJWs would call him a Nazi :lol:
I would guess that you and I agree that there is a far right wing in Western societies that would reject even a moderate, contextualized Islam.

And there's an extreme left wing whose adherents reflexively denounce any and all talk about the connections between traditional Islam, fundamentalism and violence as de facto proof of Islamophobia. This must end. A problem that is not acknowledged cannot be solved.
And he's aware of that. Good.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I'm a bit late, but since we're all sharing I've been dealing with depression since around 16. I was never officially diagnosed, but there's little doubt. I'd stopped eating, would sleep 14 hours a day, sat in the dark crying for no reason, and once in desperation grabbed a knife from the kitchen and went down to the basement only to (thankfully) get caught by my step mother. Religion brought me out of it, which is why I'm so sympathetic to such endeavors even if they're objectively wrong about so many things.

As an atheist I turned to CBT, fluoxetine (Prozac), and modafinil (which I haven't seen anyone else mention, but is popular as a sort of black market nootropic and I recommend it). I've been off them for a while now though. The fluoxetine bothered me for the sexual side effects as well as excessive sweating. The lack of CBT is just me being lazy. It's gotten bad. Not too long ago I sat in the bathroom with a razor just sort of fantasizing about ending it. I don't think I'm in any real danger. I love my family and my wife more than anything, so I'd never put them through it. The fact I was even tempted is a serious problem though. I plan to start the modafinil again and join a church. Socializing and having meaningful projects (and if you can swallow the bullshit, churches do have those) are vital. For some people that can derive from their day job, but I'm in a dead end career there. Should probably look into changing that as well...

feathers

Post by feathers »

feathers

Post by feathers »

CommanderTuvok wrote:If PoC were in a majority, and richer than whites, and white people congregated in certain areas, I'm certain we would see "PoC flight". It does appear to me just a human trait to want to be among people of the same culture (I stress culture over colour, because "white flight" also exists when say, white Eastern Europeans "move in").

Indeed. I grew up in the 70s in the egalitarian Netherlands in a middle-sized city which at that point was lily-white and as Dutch as Jan de Witt. But even there you could see the poorer, maladapted neighbourhoods which people would flee quickly as soon as they could afford it. Race had squat to do with it.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:He can still rattle it in front of his g/f, but only if he takes a little blue pill first.

One time, he rattled it for over four hours straight. Afterwards, he had to consult a physician !
No, that's another type of snake. Crotalus pantalonus I think.

feathers

Post by feathers »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Seems very quiet round here - is everyone still catching up with the Zoe Quinn autobiography?
She got a very sympathetic interview/ plug in New Scientist magazine , of all places, lately.
Was it a butt plug?

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

MarcusAu wrote:As a clinical psychologist the temptation to view the entire world as a patient in need of treatment would seem to be overwhelming.
I think that's my view of Peterson as well. He seems to promote this "one size fits all" concept in terms of fixing people as individuals, one that I simply don't agree with. In that way, I don't think it's that much different from the SJW's he's criticizing. I don't hate the guy. I'd like to have a discussion with him, and I'm sure he's a decent person. But, I do think he wears his heart on his sleeve, and it really does show.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

feathers wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:If PoC were in a majority, and richer than whites, and white people congregated in certain areas, I'm certain we would see "PoC flight". It does appear to me just a human trait to want to be among people of the same culture (I stress culture over colour, because "white flight" also exists when say, white Eastern Europeans "move in").

Indeed. I grew up in the 70s in the egalitarian Netherlands in a middle-sized city which at that point was lily-white and as Dutch as Jan de Witt. But even there you could see the poorer, maladapted neighbourhoods which people would flee quickly as soon as they could afford it. Race had squat to do with it.
We are indeed witnessing PòC or Black flight here in the south east of England. We've seen a steady increase of Afro/Caribbean and British Indians moving out of London to the surrounding counties of Kent, Essex, Surrey, Bucks, Herts for example. Talk to many of them and they don't want their kids growing up in increasingly violent neighbourhoods that are changing beyond their recognition and many will openly blame the Islamization of London.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Something about Peterson's ideas bug me - as is pretty obvious or I wouldn't be writing so much - or trying to figure out what exactly it is.

I do think he comes across as authoritarian at times - but that is more my issue than his.

He is obviously a very smart guy (much smarter than for instance me) and when I see what I determine to be an obfustication or rationalisation on his part - it definitely gives the impression he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

With the definition of Darwinian vs Newtonian 'truth' - the comparison to Non-Overlapping Magisteria comes to mind. It's fallen out of favour in recent times - but as I recall things did not end well for Gould proposition.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

Karmakin wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:As a clinical psychologist the temptation to view the entire world as a patient in need of treatment would seem to be overwhelming.
I think that's my view of Peterson as well. He seems to promote this "one size fits all" concept in terms of fixing people as individuals, one that I simply don't agree with. In that way, I don't think it's that much different from the SJW's he's criticizing. I don't hate the guy. I'd like to have a discussion with him, and I'm sure he's a decent person. But, I do think he wears his heart on his sleeve, and it really does show.
I found the idea helpful. I worry it could mean that you just look at yourself and not how you could help other people, but surely SJW's should look at themselves before 'helping' every single minority person on the planet? It might act as a kind of brake on their out of control ideology. His Self-authoring program seems to work overall, although YMMV.

I am certainly trying to be more independent, simply because I got into a 'someone should help me' frame of mind, and I only started to get better by having more of a 'maybe I could help me' frame of mind. But my depression seems more detached than others, so that may not be usual.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

jimhabegger wrote:
GenerallyFading wrote:... and one day I may decide that enough is enough.
I hope that day never comes. That would grieve me.

I never seriously considered suicide, but there was a time in my life when I could feel the temptation. For me, it was enough to think that I was going to die anyway some day, and there might possibly still be something in my future that I wouldn't want to miss.
Thank you Jim, that's good to hear.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
feathers wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Fucker still writhes if you touch it.
Can you still rattle it? Scare the beejesus out of your g/f.
He can still rattle it in front of his g/f, but only if he takes a little blue pill first.

LOL. No pills. I'd consult a physician over anything less than four hours.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Ally Fogg writes a piece about the child grooming scandals, the racism and the neglect from the authorities due to classism.
http://archive.is/DMtpz

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

MarcusAu wrote:Something about Peterson's ideas bug me - as is pretty obvious or I wouldn't be writing so much - or trying to figure out what exactly it is.

I do think he comes across as authoritarian at times - but that is more my issue than his.

He is obviously a very smart guy (much smarter than for instance me) and when I see what I determine to be an obfustication or rationalisation on his part - it definitely gives the impression he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

With the definition of Darwinian vs Newtonian 'truth' - the comparison to Non-Overlapping Magisteria comes to mind. It's fallen out of favour in recent times - but as I recall things did not end well for Gould proposition.

He's used to speaking at length and not being contradicted in his lecturing day job, I think Peterson is a story teller.
Myth and religions have big stories, narratives . They are meant to be taken as provided, and not questioned.
He had his Maps of the Mind book for free download
but I don't think I could take it on. His writing style there is also narrated in a way I found unreadable
and while I might agree with some of his points, I often dont like the way he makes them. They seem too much
like appeals to emotion.

In the Harvard discussion posted earlier , he was asked if he would use a person's preferred pronoun or not
and he said he wouldn't answer "hypotheticals".
Yet also said in the same video, he said he was coming at the issue from a "philosophical" angle.

Well, if any human activity dealt with hypotheticals (eg what if, etc) , surely philosophy does.
(among real life situations, I know)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Something that came up in a hijab discussion: Can claiming you wear a hijab just because you like it count as cultural appropriation? Regardless of your actual reasons for doing so, if you state emphatically that you're not adhering to the cultural/religious justification, isn't that appropriating dress from the sincerely devout?

John D

Post by John D »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Something about Peterson's ideas bug me - as is pretty obvious or I wouldn't be writing so much - or trying to figure out what exactly it is.

He's used to speaking at length and not being contradicted in his lecturing day job, I think Peterson is a story teller.
Myth and religions have big stories, narratives . They are meant to be taken as provided, and not questioned.
He had his Maps of the Mind book for free download
but I don't think I could take it on. His writing style there is also narrated in a way I found unreadable
and while I might agree with some of his points, I often dont like the way he makes them. They seem too much
like appeals to emotion.

In the Harvard discussion posted earlier , he was asked if he would use a person's preferred pronoun or not
Yet also said in the same video, he said he was coming at the issue from a "philosophical" angle.

Well, if any human activity dealt with hypotheticals (eg what if, etc) , surely philosophy does.
I think he will not answer hypotheticals regarding the pronoun topic because he knows they are a trap. He doesn't want to spend his time answering trick questions.... and answering hypotheticals over and over again.

When he says he is coming at the pronoun topic from a philosophical standpoint, he means that he is philosophically opposed to forcing someone to speak a certain word. He is philosophically a free speech absolutist. He does not claim to be a philosopher.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Ally Fogg writes a piece about the child grooming scandals, the racism and the neglect from the authorities due to classism.
He got out close, but in the end just misses.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Ally Fogg writes a piece about the child grooming scandals, the racism and the neglect from the authorities due to classism.
I agree with the commentator who points out that while Fogg denies political correctness had anything to do with it that his argument demonstrates the opposite.

And why does he have to start with calling out Sarah Champion before feeling with the child abuse? Whether she is right or wrong she's a minor part of the story.

And this is just bullshit:
The real hate crime here, the one that drove the abusers to abuse, which drove the police and social services to negligence and which continues to drive the media and political debates to this day, is a crime in which I think we are all complicit. It is our collective indifference, contempt, hostility and outright animosity towards the young, poor, marginalised and vulnerable on the edges of society.
Fuck off with the 'we are all guilty' shit.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:Something that came up in a hijab discussion: Can claiming you wear a hijab just because you like it count as cultural appropriation? Regardless of your actual reasons for doing so, if you state emphatically that you're not adhering to the cultural/religious justification, isn't that appropriating dress from the sincerely devout?
The hijab is an instrument of gendered oppression, so those who wear because they want to are appropriating oppression from the oppressed :ugeek:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: I think he will not answer hypotheticals regarding the pronoun topic because he knows they are a trap. ...
What's wrong with traps?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Shatterface wrote:
I agree with the commentator who points out that while Fogg denies political correctness had anything to do with it that his argument demonstrates the opposite.

And why does he have to start with calling out Sarah Champion before feeling with the child abuse? Whether she is right or wrong she's a minor part of the story.

The real hate crime here, the one that drove the abusers to abuse, which drove the police and social services to negligence and which continues to drive the media and political debates to this day, is a crime in which I think we are all complicit. It is our collective indifference, contempt, hostility and outright animosity towards the young, poor, marginalised and vulnerable on the edges of society.
Conscience getting you? :P
Why do you look down on chavs, check your privilege...

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Here's what I'm reading (book, not Kindle version, I wanted this, like Milo's book, for my shelves):
https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Gamergate ... +Gamergate

It mentions Atheism + and (because she founded that) Jen McCreight.
No mention of Elevatorgate, nor Rebecca Watson.
But then the guy was never part of the 'new atheist' movement and probably doesn't even know about that.
No mention of PZ , either.
Sorry, PZ.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Clarence wrote:Here's what I'm reading (book, not Kindle version, I wanted this, like Milo's book, for my shelves):
https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Gamergate ... +Gamergate

It mentions Atheism + and (because she founded that) Jen McCreight.
No mention of Elevatorgate, nor Rebecca Watson.
But then the guy was never part of the 'new atheist' movement and probably doesn't even know about that.
No mention of PZ , either.
Sorry, PZ.

Keep reading - I think you will be pleasantly surprised - both the good professor and his lady love lush do get a (passing) mention.

The author James 'Grim' Desborough has a youtube channel - and recently did a review of ZQ's Crash Override book. If you type GrimJim into youtube you'll find it.

Barbie's Boyfriend

MarcusAu wrote:
John D wrote: I think he will not answer hypotheticals regarding the pronoun topic because he knows they are a trap. ...
What's wrong with traps?
If you overdose on steroids, your traps will look like this:
hqdefault.jpg
(29.24 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Here is the deal. When it comes to his area of expertise, I give him full credit on knowing what he is talking about. He tends to be very fact/research based. I think that is a decent part of why he is so well loved. In addition to that, given his clinical practice, he has some very straight forward practical levels of advice of things certain people can do to improve their condition.

But when it comes to religion, myths and interpretation of dreams and how he applies that to the rest of life. Well let's just say he gets a little bit timey-whimey.

http://i.imgur.com/lv00m3m.jpg

Some of his religion/myth/dream based interpretations are based on classical book analysis or archetypes. And some of it smells of the same po-mo bullshit that he rails about in other areas. He can't really cite solid facts & research to back up his interpretations as he can in his areas of expertise.

It would be a grave mistake to conflate the two. I view it as "story time with Dr. Peterson." Just like discussing books in high school or college, or discussing a books meaning with friends, there is very little that is authoritatively right or wrong. So if you enjoy it, kick back and enjoy it. It is just talking and thinking. If you find some insight valuable, keep it. Junk the rest.

On the subject of "truths" in my Catholic high school we took a class on interpreting the bible. A very light level discussion based level of apologetics in retrospect. In the class we discussed the different types of "truths." "Literal Truth," "Poetic Truth," and about 5 or 6 others that obvious never caught on enough to make it to the internet. A great way to cast the entire bible as "truth" without being factually true. Peterson appears to be diving into these types of "truths" when discussing religion and mythological stories.

It just doesn't really seem to pan out because from a skeptic's point of view "Hey, did anyone test out this 'truth' and see if it really means more than this interpretation of folklore?!"

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well that works better for me - if his ideas are a take what you want / need buffet - rather than a large suppository that must be inserted whole.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

MarcusAu wrote:
What's wrong with traps?
The question isn't whether or not there's anything wrong with traps. The question is, are traps happy?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Doctors Who
Doctor_Whos.gif
(199.14 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I reckon he could have stopped around 1981.

John D

Post by John D »

Here is another interesting story about gay marriage and religious freedom.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinio ... 105456596/
As Anderson observes: “If the government can shut down a family farmer just because of the religious views he expresses on Facebook — by denying him a license to do business and serve fresh produce to all people — then no American is free.”

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Shatterface wrote:

Agreed. Quite a few of us put our heads above the parapet to point out the problems in various cities, and we got shouted down with cries of "racist". However, we were ignored because tossers like Nick Griffin and his BNP goons were slavering at the mouth and shouting about it. Because they were saying it, the entire left brushed it off as racists ranting. The liberals who who pointed out that there might be a problem, don't carry the blame, Ally Fogg.

This is a sorry pattern. The regressive left are terrified of speaking out about something if they believe it can be "used" by the far right. We see this with the likes of PZ (who used to be vocal about Islam, but it now a complete subservient dhimmi), Aki Muthali, Nice Mangos, etc.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Atl got off easy with Irma, and we're still a mess. Think the worst has passed my place. I'm just bored as fuck now. No work. No power. Electronics dying. Uuuugh. Gonna have to read. Like an animal.

Incidently, I've never had any kind of depression. Thought I had anxiety for a while, but turns out I was just really bored. Xanax did nothing for that.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well I'm glad you got over your bad dose of wind Abby.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

ERV wrote:Incidently, I've never had any kind of depression. Thought I had anxiety for a while, but turns out I was just really bored. Xanax did nothing for that.
Thank fuck, I thought I was the only one. I must have won a variant of the genetic lottery or whatever you'd call it - no depression, no meds, no "sour days" or rapid cycling. 100% standard up 'n' down mood directly proportional to my activities, their outcomes and my environment.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/de012e49680a ... tm_500.gif

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

ERV wrote: Incidently, I've never had any kind of depression. Thought I had anxiety for a while, but turns out I was just really bored. Xanax did nothing for that.
Sounds like you weren't taking enough of it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote:Doctors Who
Doctor_Whos.gif
It needs a soundtrack.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Last week was Fashion Week in NYC. For me, it began with a bicycle crash on the way to work, Tuesday. I landed on the ball of my hip, which was swollen & stiff all week. It was raining... heyyyy.... maybe I'm a hurricane survivor?!!

I worked a couple days for the Lincoln car company-- they threw an exclusive party featuring blues rocker Gary Clark Jr., and Willie Nelson's son Lukas Nelson. Both played excellent music with real instruments and no autotune. Even the after-concert DJ was a reasonable adult woman who played Steely Dan & 80's black radio hits. Lincoln successfully convinced me that their brand means familiar reliable quality & comfort; rather than elitist 'luxury' & 'cool' that sneers at the customer for not being cool-enough.

Then I spent a couple days with French Canadian truck drivers, unloading & assembling a mobile salon in a shipping container, to promote Dyson brand hair dryers, with free blow-outs to passersby. Fun, but physically demanding, to unpack the salon each morning & repack + move it at night, then repeat.

After that was Rebeckah Minkoff's runway show. Fairly modest-- 31 models put on the clothes in Minkoff's offices, then rode a bus to the store, where they walked in front of standing guests-- then changed back into street clothes on the bus. Guests shopped & drank champagne. The celeb guest was Jessica Alba, who is visibly pregnant. And someone named Victoria Justice & Coco Rocha (I don't know who they are). I was in charge of checking-off the models as they arrived, either too-early/nervous/&cunty... or late & dripping with don't-give-a-fuck attitude.

Last was a party for Moet champagne, collaborating with Nike Air Jordans and the Public School fashion label-- started by an asian dude designer & a black guy-- they make high-end clothes I'd expect to see on powerful adult black people like Jay-Z... halfway between modernistic design & hip-hop streetwear. 2200 guests invited into a space which holds about 400. I was out on the velvet rope, with a guest list on an iPad, choosing which ones get in. In theory, it was like being my hero Marcello Mastrioni, in La Dolce Vita-- but I felt no rush of glory. It was alright-- but didn't grab me. The glamour felt as distant as seeing a runway show out of the corner of your eye on a big TV in a store window. I felt like the guy in the factory farm who sorts thousands of baby chickens by their feathery holes, into Male & Female buckets.

Next week I'm doing something for Puma, for a few days, involving the New York City Ballet. They asked for my shoe size & waist & shirt. So maybe I'll get a track suit out of it.

Weeks like Fashion Week are mile-markers for me, moneymakers which I hope will at least break-me-even after dry spells of little work-- and, indeed, that seems to be the case, this time. I wanted to check-in here & report-that. Since I was in much-worse shape, when I last posted frequently here.

I signed-on to Jordan Peterson's Future Authoring program today. (purchased for me by deLurch, 3 months ago.) I've only completed about half the exercises... up to where you list 8 goals & examine their meaning. When I first started doing-it, I was in such bad shape, my writing was often walls of disjointed sentence fragments, painful to type. Moving in with my middle-aged Jap/Chink gangsta bitch has been the big change in my life recently. I've had to wait until the dust settles on the big move, to see what my next goals will be, to complete the Future Authoring exercises. Even working so-much this week-- changes my perspective. Result: so much of the self-authoring things I wrote before Fashion Week-- feel distant & out-of-date. But much remains relevant, as well.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote:
ERV wrote:Incidently, I've never had any kind of depression. Thought I had anxiety for a while, but turns out I was just really bored. Xanax did nothing for that.
Thank fuck, I thought I was the only one. I must have won a variant of the genetic lottery or whatever you'd call it - no depression, no meds, no "sour days" or rapid cycling. 100% standard up 'n' down mood directly proportional to my activities, their outcomes and my environment.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/de012e49680a ... tm_500.gif
Holy Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, batman.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201101/r707341_5492361.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not sure if SD is real or a character from a William Gibson novel.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

InfraRedBucket wrote: In the Harvard discussion posted earlier , he was asked if he would use a person's preferred pronoun or not

He's clearly stated he is opposing compelled speech -- mandatory use of made-up pronouns. He says he's not opposed in principle to voluntarily using them, depending on the circumstance. I find that meet and good.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

http://i.imgur.com/lv00m3m.jpg

That show's been on so long, Voltaire played the first Doctor.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

A friend of mine was diagnosed with depression, and taking SSRIs for a while, but has been doing better and better, without any psych meds, for at least ten years now. Part of what helped was CBT. Another part of it was learning some of the physical and emotional health practices that have been discussed here. Another part of it was thinking of the depression as representing some valuable capacities and coming from a part of us that needs to be heard and valued, rather than as an adversary. Rather than trying to fight it or escape from it, the idea is to think of possible examples of what that part of you has been doing and trying to do for you, to welcome that and be grateful for it, and train yourself in some better ways to use those capacities and do whatever that part of you is trying to do for you. Also to explore and experiment with various techniques for reducing and counteracting the demoralizing and disabling effects of the depression, rather than trying to fight it or escape from it, and without reducing your ideas about how and why it's happening to one single theory.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Our favorite doctor here in Guilin is Doctor Hu.

Matt Cavanaugh

Christians Are So Stoopid!

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The Friendly Atheist responds to criticism that he's not very friendly, by mocking two nine-year-old girls raising money to send bibles to Irma victims.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... they-need/

What a complete twat.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Re: Christians Are So Stoopid!

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The Friendly Atheist responds to criticism that he's not very friendly, by mocking two nine-year-old girls raising money to send bibles to Irma victims.

What a complete twat.
You don't even know how much I wanna smack that smug mudda fucka in the face

Barbie's Boyfriend

Re: Christians Are So Stoopid!

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The Friendly Atheist responds to criticism that he's not very friendly, by mocking two nine-year-old girls raising money to send bibles to Irma victims.

What a complete twat.
He forgot to ridicule them and their friends and family for being from the ignorant, Trump luvin' South. He's slipping