Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
CommanderTuvok

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Was Phil Plait the guy who did the "Don't Be A Cunt" presentation?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Git wrote:I give Phil Plait somewhat of a pass because unlike Watson and Lyers, his astronomical work is awesome. But he's a naive fool when it comes to Queen Bee. Someone really needs to sit him down over a pint and metaphorically slap some reality into him.

Oh, and wasn't he also one of the ring leaders of the whole cuntish "Don't be a Dick?" campaign?
The ringleader. I was in the audience for that lecture. TAM 8

[youtube]dmP9XozKEV0[/youtube]

oh, and nice profile image, Git, you cheeky bastard

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:
Git wrote: Amen, as they say. Perhaps someone can screenshot his comment and add it to the database?
Nabbed it. Not sure what you mean by database, though - is there a thread for such, or does it just go into the Baboonaplaza?
Perhaps franc's wiki http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Phawrongula_Wiki or perhaps viewforum.php?f=30

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Brilliant reposte from Hugo - telling it like it is.
Plait won't listen. I stopped visiting his blog when it became obvious that his skepticism and interest in evidence vanish when it concerns his own buddies. That, and because he's way self-absorbed and just too juvenile. He thinks he's all that but writes like he wears a propeller beanie on his head.

For my astronomy fix I switched to Starts With a Bang, and love it.
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/

Git

Post by Git »

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Git wrote: Amen, as they say. Perhaps someone can screenshot his comment and add it to the database?
Nabbed it. Not sure what you mean by database, though - is there a thread for such, or does it just go into the Baboonaplaza?
Perhaps franc's wiki http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Phawrongula_Wiki or perhaps viewforum.php?f=30
Aye, that's what I meant.

Oh, Sasha, thank you *cheeky grin, strokes goatee in a manly fashion*.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Azathoth wrote:Any of you recognise this baboon?

http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=38847

A hermit. In there getting dogpiled and not even flinching. It is quite a fun little chew toy for us.

He was also there trying to stir it up when Pappa made his faux pax. And reporting back to FtB about it as well, if I'm remembering it right.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

In fact, at the time, I went back and forth between the rationalia thread and ftb (myers i think) and did notice similar posting styles, but can't remember the name of the baboon that he resembled.

Git

Post by Git »

Gumby wrote:
Plait won't listen. I stopped visiting his blog when it became obvious that his skepticism and interest in evidence vanish when it concerns his own buddies. That, and because he's way self-absorbed and just too juvenile. He thinks he's all that but writes like he wears a propeller beanie on his head.

The Jodcast is the best Astronomy Podcast out there. Plus as its British, there is a large degree of taking the piss, and one of the hosts (Jen G) has the most fuckable voice ever.

That said, I do have a lot of time for Fraser Cain and Astronomy Cast (his co-host Pamela Gay doesn't, unlike what happened with IYOA, doesn't bring her private delusions into the show at all), though its at a much more basic level.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

sacha wrote:oh, and nice profile image, Git, you cheeky bastard
Hey lady, you're scaring off my customers. :mrgreen:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Sorted: http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/File:Hugo_plait_1.PNG & http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/File:Hugo_plait_2.PNG

Git

Post by Git »

Tigzy wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Sorted: http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/File:Hugo_plait_1.PNG & http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/File:Hugo_plait_2.PNG
Ta muchly old bean!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Gumby wrote:

It has also been recommended by ERV. I had switched to it as well ages ago and rarely if ever read Phil Plait now.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

sacha wrote:
Git wrote:I give Phil Plait somewhat of a pass because unlike Watson and Lyers, his astronomical work is awesome. But he's a naive fool when it comes to Queen Bee. Someone really needs to sit him down over a pint and metaphorically slap some reality into him.

Oh, and wasn't he also one of the ring leaders of the whole cuntish "Don't be a Dick?" campaign?
The ringleader. I was in the audience for that lecture. TAM 8

[youtube]dmP9XozKEV0[/youtube]
Sadly he does not recognize PZ,RW in the mirror. What he said in the first 10 minutes anyway applies equally well to the baboon insults.

oh, and nice profile image, Git, you cheeky bastard
It's a lovely erection isn't it?

Git

Post by Git »

[youtube]TNZL-tRfS7A[/youtube]

The lovely and awesome Jen Gupta from the Jodcast doing her Astronomy-based Standup Routine.

(at 4:20 is her best joke, which would make a Skepchick blanche)

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

sacha wrote: Gollum has always been a Baboon apologist pussy worshipper.
Corrected it for you sacha.
One wonders how baboons (staunch opponents of DBAD) and Gollum can be bedfellows. I have lived to see the strangest of things happen.

Scented.. you are like that Queen/Mother in the later alien movie..laying her eggs every few minutes. Your seeds are sprouting every passing day on this forum. Are you the new Rebecca Watson?

cunt

Post by cunt »

So many women to oppress today I almost didn't find the time to not believe in god.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dilurk wrote:
Gumby wrote:

It has also been recommended by ERV. I had switched to it as well ages ago and rarely if ever read Phil Plait now.
It's not the most advanced astronomy site out there, but since I'm just a (lifelong) casual astronomy/space exploration enthusiast I don't need anything real technical.

sacha

poor delicate flowers at the Slymepit

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote:
didn't I tell you to fuck off?

by the way, this one is lovely, but I had to reduce the saturation:
saturation.jpg
(27.15 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
now fuck off, you bloody prat

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Git wrote:
Gumby wrote:

The Jodcast is the best Astronomy Podcast out there. Plus as its British, there is a large degree of taking the piss, and one of the hosts (Jen G) has the most fuckable voice ever.

That said, I do have a lot of time for Fraser Cain and Astronomy Cast (his co-host Pamela Gay doesn't, unlike what happened with IYOA, doesn't bring her private delusions into the show at all), though its at a much more basic level.
Thanks Git, I'll check them out.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

cunt wrote:So many women to oppress today I almost didn't find the time to not believe in god.
:lol:

BTW, Rebecca Watson has chimed in on Comic Jenni's A+ thing, and seems to be doing so through gritted teeth: http://skepchick.org/2012/08/a-vs-a-vs- ... mperative/

Oh, and Watson's getting rape threats from Humanists as well as Atheists now, apparently:
And she’s absolutely right. I’ve had many people ask why I’m a feminist instead of a humanist, as though the two things are mutually exclusive. I’ve also looked at the profile pages of people who send me rape threats on Twitter and YouTube, and many times I’ve found the word “humanist” in the description.

This fits in with what my ideal scenario would be: leave atheism alone and work on fixing humanism, because it’s actually already in pretty good shape. Unlike atheism, it already has many organizations working on social justice issues, like the British Humanist Association and African Americans for Humanism. And unlike atheism, that social justice goal is already built into the accepted definition and scope of humanism. So it would be nice, I think, if we could work on kicking the assholes out of humanism and helping the humanists march forward on all these issues we find important.
Seems the pudgy one reckons A+ is a little redundant when there's some Humanism about; I like the way she goes on to damn Jenni's idea with faint praise:
But hey, if wishes and buts were clusters of nuts, we’d all have a bowl of granola. Atheism currently has a bigger audience than the humanists, and A+ is catchy and fun and has people excited. There’s a lot of momentum, and Jen is going to do something great and positive with it. Humanism won’t die out, and A+ could become a handy bridge for atheists to cross over and start doing something positive with their philosophical outlook. What more could I ask for?

sacha

Post by sacha »

astrokid.nj wrote:
sacha wrote: Gollum has always been a Baboon apologist pussy worshipper.
Corrected it for you sacha.
cheers, Astro

He's one of those who enjoys being emasculated.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

The vegan issue has reared its meat-free head at Greta's:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... ment-89741
Why should I sign on to GLBT and racism issues if you’re not willing to even acknowledge the massive injustice of the factory farming industry? Or talk about the environment at all? If my primary concerns fall completely out of your purview, why should I help you with yours if you won’t help me with mine?
I mean, if you are all about excluding people to make the movement stronger, than it should be only vegan, very liberal, non-racist, non-phobic atheists. Just the term “vegan” should knock off about 80% of our very small number right there. Wow, we’ll be REALLY strong! Exclusive to be inclusive.
I am anxiously awaiting the hate-filled comments from all you allegedly “tolerant” people that I DARED bring the injustice of your cherished eating habits into question. I have learned that often the most open-minded and understanding “social justice” advocate will turn into Rush Limbaugh or Ted Nugent when challenged about the cruelty of their beloved cheeseburgers.
Rush Limbaugh??? Ouch. :lol: Also, I think "vegan" would knock off more than 80%.

Greta is quick to retort:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012 ... ment-89745
Well,… @ #39: Actually, if you look at the Atheism+: It’s time to walk the walk post on Jen McCreight’s blog, where she is crowd-sourcing ideas for how to take action on this concept, you’ll see that “animal welfare” is on the list.
But given that the point of your comment seems to have been nasty sniping without any apparent comprehension of the fact that your issue about divisiveness was the very thing being addressed in this piece, you seem to be part of the problem and not part of the solution. I am willing and even eager to discuss the question of how animal rights fit into an “atheism plus” movement — but not with someone who is arguing in bad faith. Argue in good faith, or get out.
How does she know that the comment is an argument in bad faith? Did she divine that? Does the comment have an aura?

Meanwhile, over at Jen's, commenter Ibbica has figured out a way to deal with pesky vegans and environmentalists:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... ment-98204
Personally? I’d leave animal welfare and environmentalism out of it*, at least formally and at least for now, and instead start with a focus on (human) social justice issues.
I shouldn't have to point this out to seasoned social justice warriors like those commenting over at FfTB, but environmentalism *is* a social justice issue. You can't just leave out the issues that are somehow inconvenient for or at odds with your agenda and lifestyle.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dilurk wrote:
Am I not getting something? I'm seeing one of my flower pics. Where's the erection?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tigzy wrote:
But hey, if wishes and buts were clusters of nuts, we’d all have a bowl of granola. Atheism currently has a bigger audience than the humanists, and A+ is catchy and fun and has people excited. There’s a lot of momentum, and Jen is going to do something great and positive with it. Humanism won’t die out, and A+ could become a handy bridge for atheists to cross over and start doing something positive with their philosophical outlook. What more could I ask for?
Meeow. Ohh the jealousy is strong in this one.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I guess she could ask for it not to be so horribly embarrassing, stupid and obviously doomed to failure. There's momentum right now because every donkey and "hir" fucking donkey is rushing to get in on the ground floor.

"I think A+ should focus on discrimination against fat stupid faggot retards like me" is not likely to produce ANY social change. Watson is smart enough to know that, and she probably does. She just can't say it.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Am I not getting something? I'm seeing one of my flower pics. Where's the erection?
Why from the stem thrusting the flower into the air. Why what did you think I meant?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Damn those vegans keeping us oppressed with their...um...restaurants run by buddhists and...erm...Hare Krishnas! Yes, Hare Krishnas - they shave their heads like skinheads do, you know, making me feel uncomfortable when I leave Tottenham Court Road tube and finding them outside all chanting and...stuff.

Yeah, Atheism Plus has no time for these visual apologists for fascism!

sacha

Pit humour

Post by sacha »

Tigzy wrote:Damn those vegans keeping us oppressed with their...um...restaurants run by buddhists and...erm...Hare Krishnas! Yes, Hare Krishnas - they shave their heads like skinheads do, you know, making me feel uncomfortable when I leave Tottenham Court Road tube and finding them outside all chanting and...stuff.
BarnOwl wrote:
How does she know that the comment is an argument in bad faith? Did she divine that? Does the comment have an aura?

cunt wrote:So many women to oppress today I almost didn't find the time to not believe in god.
hahaha!

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I dont know who you are, but thank you, Hugo.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

astrokid.nj wrote:Scented.. you are like that Queen/Mother in the later alien movie..laying her eggs every few minutes. Your seeds are sprouting every passing day on this forum. Are you the new Rebecca Watson?
No, I will never be any sort of Rebecca Watson. But these eggs, you mean the avatars? It's meant to confuse the humans and confuse them as to who's who. That way they never notice when we harvest one for barbecue night.

sacha wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
didn't I tell you to fuck off?

by the way, this one is lovely, but I had to reduce the saturation:
saturation.jpg
now fuck off, you bloody prat
Uh oh, you seem to like an egg of mine. There was even one there to lure YOU. What have I done? I'll just see myself off to the nearest space port. Humans don't deserve this. And I guess it's not a good time to ask if anyone would like a non-symmetrical abstract styled batch of a few dozen or so?

Wharrgarbl

Post by Wharrgarbl »

He's also the 'Potential sexual assault' guy (i.e. he invoked Schrödingers Rapist without potentially molesting quantum theory, in a dark alley, at the same time).

cunt

Post by cunt »

He's also the 'Potential sexual assault' guy
Aren't we all?

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Watson:
"Through my admittedly limited study..."

Chuckle!

Thinking about sending an email to Novella about Carrier 'threatening' him unless he picks a side.... but there's the banking to do.

Btw, I rescind my earlier 'toneing' about the Watson/racist satire, if only for the fact that she continues to parade her racism and ageism with abandon.
I'm also mentally betting on who is the first to get an A+ tattoo. I can imagine Jason Thibau... Hugh Jackman wig on, white vest sagging and voluminous about his skeletal frame, shadow-boxing in front of the mirror "I'm a Justice Warrior!"

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dilurk wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Why from the stem thrusting the flower into the air. Why what did you think I meant?
Oh just the usual, penises. Erect ones that is. http://www.scentednectar.com/sneerfacto ... yes-01.gif

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Linky to Jen's food post. Foie gras was also consumed.

Honestly, it's too easy ... like falling off a log. A log made of veal and stuffed with foie gras, decorated with escargot to represent bracket fungi.

In related foodie news, is it wrong that I made an ice cube tray full of yogurt-peanut butter-blueberry-orange frozen smoothies for my little dogs? Much cheaper than the ones you can buy at Petco. I make sloppy bran mashes for the horses too, with electrolyte powder mixed in, while we're at polocrosse tournaments. Think of it as bran Gatorade.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BarnOwl wrote:Linky to Jen's food post. Foie gras was also consumed.

Honestly, it's too easy ... like falling off a log. A log made of veal and stuffed with foie gras, decorated with escargot to represent bracket fungi.

In related foodie news, is it wrong that I made an ice cube tray full of yogurt-peanut butter-blueberry-orange frozen smoothies for my little dogs? Much cheaper than the ones you can buy at Petco. I make sloppy bran mashes for the horses too, with electrolyte powder mixed in, while we're at polocrosse tournaments. Think of it as bran Gatorade.
Jesus, Jen's a hound for veal and foie gras, ain't she?? No, that definitely isn't going to go down well with A+'s animal welfare faction.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Tigzy wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Linky to Jen's food post. Foie gras was also consumed.

Jesus, Jen's a hound for veal and foie gras, ain't she?? No, that definitely isn't going to go down well with A+'s animal welfare faction.
Nor will some of Comradde PrivilegeProffe's recipes. :mrgreen:

cunt

Post by cunt »

astrokid.nj

Justin Vacula sticking his neck out

Post by astrokid.nj »

I just want to say that I really appreciate Justin.. somebody with a real atheist/freethought org out there.. somebody doing real activism.. sticking his neck out like this and taking all the heat. The funny thing is.. even the slightest slip-up on "our" side is being chastised even by people on our side, while the baboons move on from one level to the next level of outrageous stuff without any compunction. How many leaders with real reputation on the line.. have stuck out their neck like this?
PS: I agree 100% with what ScentedNectar said a while ago.. I see the justification for why JV posted the address and its a trivial issue to me.

Corylus

Post by Corylus »

Goodness me. I have joined just to comment on how bizarre – and disturbing - I find Carrier’s comments.

Full disclosure. I have been lurker for a little bit (generally I am therapist ) and can indeed see some things I would disagree with several of you about. For example, no, I don’t think gendered insults are helpful, I do agree with Ophelia on this. In fact, I am not particularly prone to online swearing generally (although, being human, I do slip on occasion). Sigh, I do however notice with dark amusement that I swear a very great deal less than Ophelia and most of the contributors to certain blogs.

Also, yes I do indeed identify as a feminist (an analytic one in the unlikely event anyone is interested in my take on such things), but it strikes me that things have very much moved on from the time when discussions about such things are the first order of play.

Anyways, as lurker, I feel I have got to know you all a little bit and completely reject the notion that you are all loathsome beasts. This is why I am very deliberately making the terms ‘slyme pit’ and ‘corylus’ result in an immediate hit to something by me via commenting now. Automatic out-group vilification is not my thing: contra Carrier here.

Several of you are sweet, some of you are fine, most of you are entertaining, some of you I very much want to come over all SIWOTI with, one of you (who seems to have disappeared recently) irritated the holy beeping hell out of me, and one of you I am utterly "buggered" if I understand. No, I am not going to name names about the above, I am instead going to mess with all of your heads. I’m ‘therapist’ remember: not all sweetness and light. Seriously though, please do not take this as a generalised ‘group’ criticism. The above is good. This is par for the course for most fora that I read. The proportions work.

The proportions are not working elsewhere. This is sad, and this is worrying. Bad, unfair and unkind behaviour has resulted from this. I have had a bash at getting through to some people and trying to do my own little bit to help sort this, but this has been curtailed due to my being ... um ... banned. This is a first for me. Heh! I rather suspect that you people will not be holding this very last one against me though.

That’s all.

P.S. I see ERV is on here. So I take the opportunity now to send her a big expression of respect for all of the hard work that she does in a very important field. N.B. I feel this is the most important part of my comment here today.

P.P.S. Calling yourself ‘Cunt’ might not be the very best way to encourage people to calmly engage with you, Cunt. However, I can (sadly) understand how self-righteous individuals might have led to your taking this tack.

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

Welcome aboard Corylus!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Welcome, Corylus!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/arc ... ment-20136
If you mean “rational people will be making mental notes of who is irrational, then documenting it, and publicly informing their colleagues of it,” then yes. There is no other way to promote a rational society than to call out those who are irrational and denounce and marginalize them as such. No longer will we treat them as one of us. Because they are not.

There won’t be any central committee for this. Just the internet and the evidence.

Accept it or GTFO.
Jeebus, what a lugubrious judgmental carbuncle Carrier is.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Corylus wrote:Goodness me. I have joined just to comment on how bizarre – and disturbing - I find Carrier’s comments.

Full disclosure. I have been lurker for a little bit (generally I am therapist ) and can indeed see some things I would disagree with several of you about. For example, no, I don’t think gendered insults are helpful, I do
I don't think gendered insults are helpful either, however I can see that cultural differences makes the definition of a gendered insult difficult to pin down if not impossible. In the UK calling someone a cunt is not the same thing as calling someone a cunt in North America. We are on the Internet after all.
agree with Ophelia on this. In fact, I am not particularly prone to online swearing generally (although, being human, I do slip on occasion). Sigh, I do however notice with dark amusement that I swear a very great deal less than Ophelia and most of the contributors to certain blogs.
I'm more in agreement with Bluharmony on this myself. As someone with an interest in linguistics and the English language I am always amused at the hysteria over bad words. As a Canadian I still cannot fathom how the U.S. gets into a tizzy when a bit of boob shows up on TV yet has no problem with violence on TV. So it goes.
Also, yes I do indeed identify as a feminist (an analytic one in the unlikely event anyone is interested in my take on such things), but it strikes me that things have very much moved on from the time when discussions about such things are the first order of play.
There are several on here that treat the concept of feminism with contempt. Careful or you might get labelled as a granny too.

Anyways, as lurker, I feel I have got to know you all a little bit and completely reject the notion that you are all loathsome beasts. This is why I am very deliberately making the terms ‘slyme pit’ and ‘corylus’ result in an immediate hit to something by me via commenting now. Automatic out-group vilification is not my thing: contra Carrier here.
It's a classic propaganda tactic as you know. http://www.propagandacritic.com/article ... emons.html Demonize your enemy. "that every war must appear to be a war of defense against a menacing, murderous aggressor. There must be no ambiguity about who the public is to hate." -- Lasswell
The slimepit is their name for their enemy and they demonize it as a pit of MRAs. George Orwell's Animal Farm has lots of examples of this too. )P.S. I noticed the animal farm avatar a poster here was using. Very nice.) It is a very genetic fallacy.

Several of you are sweet, some of you are fine, most of you are entertaining, some of you I very much want to come over all SIWOTI with, one of you (who seems to have disappeared recently) irritated the holy beeping hell out of me, and one of you I am utterly "buggered" if I understand. No, I am not going to name names about the above, I am instead going to mess with all of your heads. I’m ‘therapist’ remember: not all sweetness and light. Seriously though, please do not take this as a generalised ‘group’ criticism. The above is good. This is par for the course for most fora that I read. The proportions work.
They work because no one is banned here.

The proportions are not working elsewhere. This is sad, and this is worrying. Bad, unfair and unkind behaviour has resulted from this. I have had a bash at getting through to some people and trying to do my own little bit to help sort this, but this has been curtailed due to my being ... um ... banned. This is a first for me. Heh! I rather suspect that you people will not be holding this very last one against me though.
I too have been trying to get through to some people quietly behind the scenes. People are thinking with their pineal glands not their brains.

That’s all.

P.S. I see ERV is on here. So I take the opportunity now to send her a big expression of respect for all of the hard work that she does in a very important field. N.B. I feel this is the most important part of my comment here today.
She is isn't she. Total respect for her and her work.

P.P.S. Calling yourself ‘Cunt’ might not be the very best way to encourage people to calmly engage with you, Cunt. However, I can (sadly) understand how self-righteous individuals might have led to your taking this tack.
Anyway, welcome onboard.

Dilurk

Re: Justin Vacula sticking his neck out

Post by Dilurk »

astrokid.nj wrote:I just want to say that I really appreciate Justin.. somebody with a real atheist/freethought org out there.. somebody doing real activism.. sticking his neck out like this and taking all the heat. The funny thing is.. even the slightest slip-up on "our" side is being chastised even by people on our side, while the baboons move on from one level to the next level of outrageous stuff without any compunction. How many leaders with real reputation on the line.. have stuck out their neck like this?
PS: I agree 100% with what ScentedNectar said a while ago.. I see the justification for why JV posted the address and its a trivial issue to me.
This is a post I agree with 100% for what it is worth. Justin Vacula does more good for atheists than most. I personally enjoyed his debate the other night. (I didn't understand most of what she argued Justin. I think she was arguing a version of the Kalaam. I think.)

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

astrokid.nj wrote:I just want to say that I really appreciate Justin.. somebody with a real atheist/freethought org out there.. somebody doing real activism.. sticking his neck out like this and taking all the heat. The funny thing is.. even the slightest slip-up on "our" side is being chastised even by people on our side, while the baboons move on from one level to the next level of outrageous stuff without any compunction. How many leaders with real reputation on the line.. have stuck out their neck like this?
Thanks (and thanks to those offering the previous comments, too)!

My new laptop finally came in the mail :)
...so now I can be more active here.

AddressGate was quite the dumb affair, but it's par for the course as many of these 'gates' are [jumping to conclusions, heaping abuse on people, dogpiling (I love this new word), being uncharitable, not looking into the 'other side of the story,' etc.

I received a considerable amount of hate on Twitter and on my blog from those who are likely calling for respect toward women and are supportive of Amy's 'hate directed at women' campaign. This is quite interesting because it seems to reinforce the notion of the hypocrisy that we've been noting here since this forum began and, even before that, was launched on ERV. Respect is demanded (and even unflinching agreement in some cases), yet it is not shown to those bold enough to dissent. Anyway...

AddressGate seemed to have started following someone notifying Amy that her address was posted here as -- of course -- a response to the FTB conspiracy that I counter-DMCA'd to get her personal info. I posted it here saying, "Look, it is public info and here it is." As I previously noted, if I were to author the post again, I would have just said the address was public and let it at that. So...as you see above the address was edited. What a gesture, huh (and thanks, L, for doing that)?

Karla Porter talks about 'As the Atheist World Turns.' I laugh.

From what I've seen here, the majority motivation here is to call out the hypocrisy of writers on FTB*/Skepchick* and many supporting them. There is no want to harm people. There's criticism. Accountability is demanded. While there's some language and mocking at points, all seems to be in good fun. Many are sick of the nonsense going on the a/s community and some of us are even the recipients of that nonsense (I was 'witch of the week' twice!)...so we thrive on this thread that almost has 120k views!

* The usual suspects...
--

I have received my counter-DMCA documentation (although I didn't get info of the claimant, but let's assume, for this post, as it seems, that it is Amy). She now has about 13 days to file court documents or drop the DMCA. What a damn waste that would be. Does she want to really take a fellow skeptic/atheist (even though we obviously disagree on many issues) to court who is a graduate student with little money and is a freethought activist...because of a blog post?

'Surly Amy' or her friends...if you are reading this (and you probably are), don't do it.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Dilurk wrote:
This is a post I agree with 100% for what it is worth. Justin Vacula does more good for atheists than most. I personally enjoyed his debate the other night. (I didn't understand most of what she argued Justin. I think she was arguing a version of the Kalaam. I think.)
Thanks, if you (and others) would like to comment on the debate, watch the debate for the first time, or watch again, I opened a thread just for that here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=152

She didn't argue Kalam, but rather advanced Aqunias' Third and Fifth ways. There are similarities, though.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tigzy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: BTW, which of the baboons like to say "bitches ain't shit" again?
Baboon commentator Illuminata is very fond of the phrase. In fact, along with calling anyone who disagrees with her a coward, she seems to pretty much post the same thing over and over when she's in full-on off-her-rocker mode. I swear, she could lose a turing test to a bot when her dander is up.

I've seen the Prune use it - and maybe Sally Strange, though I can't be sure. The identikit opinions of the baboon feminists make it hard to tell them apart sometimes.
Then they are going to love this video. Posted here just for them:
"bitches in the US ain't shit, bitches in Spain are the shit!"
[youtube]GcqEcqWf7KU[/youtube]

Corylus

Post by Corylus »

Thank you, Steve, BarnOwl and Dilurk. Much appreciated.

Dilurk
In the UK calling someone a cunt is not the same thing as calling someone a cunt in North America. We are on the Internet after all.

Yes, that is true, but cultural differences is another reason why I don't feel this sort of thing is inadvisable. Of course, some terms are context specific and more likely to denote certain attitudes in some places rather than others, but my time on this earth is short. I really don't want to spend time working out where people "come from" before I can make a (probabilistic judgement) about where they are "coming from." This might well be laziness on my part, but there you are!
There are several on here that treat the concept of feminism with contempt. Careful or you might get labelled as a granny too.
Yep, I know, but on the upside, I have learned from my lurking that Surly Amy is actually older than me, so I feel able to let this particular one roll off my back.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh Blimey - Corylus! Wow - nice to see you here. Count me as a fanboi in the subtle and cutting way you undermined the baboons on the Prune's blog - like a razor wrapped in cream silk. In fact, I find you a little intimidating. I think I may end up studying any reply you make to me with a gormless Rodney Trotter face whilst muttering, 'Wha..what, is she being subtle and cutting with me here? Wha...'
QFT. It amazes me how Justin manages to keep civil and calm despite the enormous amount of shit that that gets thrown at him all the time. I think his calmness must actually worry the baboons a bit. I think it must make them feel unimportant. Which is good.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote:Welcome, Corylus!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/arc ... ment-20136
If you mean “rational people will be making mental notes of who is irrational, then documenting it, and publicly informing their colleagues of it,” then yes. There is no other way to promote a rational society than to call out those who are irrational and denounce and marginalize them as such. No longer will we treat them as one of us. Because they are not.

There won’t be any central committee for this. Just the internet and the evidence.

Accept it or GTFO.
Jeebus, what a lugubrious judgmental carbuncle Carrier is.
Apparently, the ghost of Joe McCarthy has possessed Carrier. Wow, have these people succumbed to what they are supposed to be most against. Crazy. Fucking toys in the attic, over the rainbow* crazy.

*Hat tip: Pink Floyd

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

justinvacula wrote:
Thanks (and thanks to those offering the previous comments, too)!

My new laptop finally came in the mail :)
...so now I can be more active here.

AddressGate was quite the dumb affair, but it's par for the course as many of these 'gates' are [jumping to conclusions, heaping abuse on people, dogpiling (I love this new word), being uncharitable, not looking into the 'other side of the story,' etc.
Justin you are an adult. You took responsibility for this yourself, you did not blame anyone else, you came to the conclusion yourself you had made an error and admitted it. 'nuff said.
I received a considerable amount of hate on Twitter and on my blog from those who are likely calling for respect toward women and are supportive of Amy's 'hate directed at women' campaign. This is quite interesting because it seems to reinforce the notion of the hypocrisy that we've been noting here since this forum began and, even before that, was launched on ERV. Respect is demanded (and even unflinching agreement in some cases), yet it is not shown to those bold enough to dissent. Anyway...

AddressGate seemed to have started following someone notifying Amy that her address was posted here as -- of course -- a response to the FTB conspiracy that I counter-DMCA'd to get her personal info. I posted it here saying, "Look, it is public info and here it is." As I previously noted, if I were to author the post again, I would have just said the address was public and let it at that. So...as you see above the address was edited. What a gesture, huh (and thanks, L, for doing that)?
Hypocrites all of them.
Karla Porter talks about 'As the Atheist World Turns.' I laugh.

From what I've seen here, the majority motivation here is to call out the hypocrisy of writers on FTB*/Skepchick* and many supporting them. There is no want to harm people. There's criticism. Accountability is demanded. While there's some language and mocking at points, all seems to be in good fun. Many are sick of the nonsense going on the a/s community and some of us are even the recipients of that nonsense (I was 'witch of the week' twice!)...so we thrive on this thread that almost has 120k views!

* The usual suspects...
--

I have received my counter-DMCA documentation (although I didn't get info of the claimant, but let's assume, for this post, as it seems, that it is Amy). She now has about 13 days to file court documents or drop the DMCA. What a damn waste that would be. Does she want to really take a fellow skeptic/atheist (even though we obviously disagree on many issues) to court who is a graduate student with little money and is a freethought activist...because of a blog post?

'Surly Amy' or her friends...if you are reading this (and you probably are), don't do it.
I bet they are going to spin this. I wouldn't doubt they will try to find her a lawyer pro bono or something. The sad part of this sordid affair is had Amy simply ignored the post it would have been forgotten by now.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I fully back Justin - he's popped his head up over the barracades and the Baboons are sending in the artillery. But he's sticking to his guns. I think there was no need to post addresses, but he hasn't done anything that the Baboons have done. They posted Blu's address, tried to defame her via Twitter, Facebook, etc. harrassed Abbie at her workplace...and someone* leaked the real name of elevatorGate.

*as Surly Amy is the only one who would have had access to his name via the DMCA counter notice, the smart money is on her. Either she launched the Homer-Vacula account, or she passed on the information to someone who did.

Mobile Git

Post by Mobile Git »

Welcome Corylus.

One thing I will say is that both I and Cunt are British (or Irish) and hence we have a much more robust attitude to anglo-saxon. Like our brethren from down t'south of t'equator.

But, I will say this now, everyone here I'd happily have a pint and a natter with. We may not agree on everything but we can agree to disagree like adults. This is a board of free men and women, confident in themselves, and adult with their relationships to others. Whereas the baboons are a bunch of narcissistic swivel-eyed pub-bores. We are the adults, the sensible types, the rationalists. The baboons? Fuck 'em. In a decade most of them will either have become Scientologists or will have converted to Islam or some Waco-style cult. The only self-worth they have is acceptance by a group. They're metaphorical children whining for attention. To paraphrase Iron Maiden, they are the ones afraid of the Dark.

Whereas we're fecking Lucifer, baby.

Corylus

Post by Corylus »

Thank you Tigzy, you are very kind, but you needn't worry - I'm just a 'lil' dormouse :)

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Corylus wrote:Thank you, Steve, BarnOwl and Dilurk. Much appreciated.

Dilurk
In the UK calling someone a cunt is not the same thing as calling someone a cunt in North America. We are on the Internet after all.

Yes, that is true, but cultural differences is another reason why I don't feel this sort of thing is inadvisable. Of course, some terms are context specific and more likely to denote certain attitudes in some places rather than others, but my time on this earth is short. I really don't want to spend time working out where people "come from" before I can make a (probabilistic judgement) about where they are "coming from." This might well be laziness on my part, but there you are!
That is why I try to always be generous with how I read people and try to hold back on my own anger when I write. I prefer to think with my brain rather than my pineal gland. If I know there is a cultural difference going on I will be even more forgiving.
Yep, I know, but on the upside, I have learned from my lurking that Surly Amy is actually older than me, so I feel able to let this particular one roll off my back.
Ditto. I actually am still quite amused to be honest.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

justinvacula wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Thanks, if you (and others) would like to comment on the debate, watch the debate for the first time, or watch again, I opened a thread just for that here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=152

She didn't argue Kalam, but rather advanced Aqunias' Third and Fifth ways. There are similarities, though.
This is why we pay you the large salary Justin. You also didn't try to say the church executed Galileo either. I'll have you know I was watching carefully for you to say that. Well done!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Corylus wrote:Thank you Tigzy, you are very kind, but you needn't worry - I'm just a 'lil' dormouse :)
*studies the post intently, half-convinced there a cutting barb in there somewhere*

BTW - you said that Surly Amy was older than yourself; and I think it was MKG who said earlier that she's 39. Can you verify that? Because I'm still having a seriously hard time believing that someone like her has the life experience of a 39 year old.

Corylus

Post by Corylus »

Hello, Mobile Git.

Thank you for the welcome. I am British too, but I admit of the soft, southern, variety.

Tigzy,

Yes - 39 was what I read on here. MKG seems to check his sources so I see no reason to doubt this.

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

Dilurk wrote: There are several on here that treat the concept of feminism with contempt. Careful or you might get labelled as a granny too.
There is nothing wrong with feminism as a concept when it deals with equal rights for women. As with any other civil rights movement it is when it gets infested with ranty supremacists who want special treatment it becomes abhorrent.

Michael K Gray

Age of Amy

Post by Michael K Gray »

Before this gets out of hand, my "39" was an attempt at humour coupled with believability.
It was a kind of joke.
I have no real idea what her physical age might be, apart from the raddled appearance in close-ups.
Sorry to disappoint.