Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Jan Steen »

Mykeru wrote:
For the slymetwitters who are no doubt already crowing about how us banning Vacula means he must obviously be right, as if by doing so we "proved his point":

No. That is not how truth and falsity work. This is an example of Greta Christina's "Galileo Fallacy" combined with the "Gadfly Corollary", from her excellent essay The Galileo Fallacy, and the Gadfly Corollary. Just because someone (in this case, Vacula) possesses an opinion which proved unpopular here, and was irritating, insulting, and angering, does not mean he's right. He might just be an asshole.

Yes, it's true that banning Justin doesn't prove him right, which is a point no one here raised. Not only is answering a point put into the mouths of the opposition more of an Atheism Plus tactic, but so is the very idea of "I have people criticizing me (oh, sorry, "bullying and harassing"), therefore I must be on to something".

But thank you, asshat, for answering a point raised by no one but yourself, by referring us to your obscure sacred texts, written by someone who wouldn't know a logical fallacy if it gave her magic cancer.
Oh the irony! It’s amusing to see an A+ commenter refer to Greta Christina’s ‘essay’ The Galileo Fallacy, and the Gadfly Corollary. Christina makes two quite trivial observations, which is that the following statements are fallacious:

1. Galileo’s ideas were initially rejected but correct; my ideas are being rejected, therefore my ideas are correct.
2. Great thinkers have made people angry or upset; I make people angry or upset, therefore I am a great thinker.

The irony is that she goes on to write:
But there is an enormous difference between being suspicious of mainstream authority, insisting that it support its pronouncements with evidence... and rejecting anything and everything mainstream authority says, simply because of who's saying it.
Now, who would be “rejecting anything and everything mainstream authority says, simply because of who's saying it”? Keywords: Privilege; White, Middle-aged, Cis-Gendered Men; The Patriarchy, etc., etc.

If only those people swallowed their own medicine.

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta ... o-fal.html

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Best poem ever.

Also, I was trying to post on A+ in the Justin Vacula Debate Challenge thread. I didn't notice on the first go (so I've double-posted) that moderators have to approve all posts before they are viewable.

Was that happening before, or have they ratcheted things up even more?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Oneiros666 wrote: 2. "My toaster doesn't work properly". Seriously, that's the thread's topic. This guy's toaster doesn't function properly and s/h/it want support.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... d565f5.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby wrote:
They can't even look at the concept of 'debate' in the traditional (dictionary) sense anymore - that it is the open discussion of sometimes contradictory ideas, with the goal being mutual understanding of the other's positions. (Debate: noun - a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints). They can only see debate as "two people trying to force their viewpoints on each other".

They just assume bad faith on Justin's part, and say "We won't debate you for the same reasons we won't debate creationists".

And then they ban him - who could have seen that coming? :lol:

Well, at least it can't be said that people from this side of the schism didn't try to conduct meaningful and productive dialogue.
Like I said earlier, they view Justin's very existence as a form of trolling.

They really are not that much different from the people on the right-wing-nutjob* forum that I used to visit. The nutjobs over there also viewed themselves as warriors, 'free speech warriors' in fact, but they took any attempt they could to stifle speech that did not agree with theirs. I was often accused, as were others, of being -actual- government spies, amongst other things, for simply disagreeing. And the 'troll' insult was bandied about every time someone took a rational, yet contrarian, viewpoint.

If ceepolk, setar, and others, had grown up slightly differently, they might be exactly what they hate - religious fundies, or something. The personality type is the same, it's the cause thats different.

* As in, Obama is the anti-christ. God in schools. Scriptural prophecy, God will destroy the earth 'cuz lefturds'. Neo-nazis aren't that bad, don't criticize them, they have the right to free speech. And all sorts of conspiracy theories about one world government, 'lieberals' taking all your guns and burnin' your bibles, etc.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ReneeHendricks wrote:This is what I think of when I read *anything* from A+:

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo ... inners.gif
The highest honor an Aplusser can receive:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 8d40ce.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

rayshul wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:Hey slymepitters

I gots a question. If you had to write a book your kid for when s/he's say 20 - 25, what topics would you include?

Atheism and ethics are two obvious ones, but any ideas (even if they're within those two broad categories) would be appreciated.
Is this nonfiction? As in a guide to living?
Important topics:

1. You are 25 now, when you wake up tomorrow, you'll be 50.

2. Do shit now that you will regret later, rather than not doing shit now that you will regret not doing later.

3. Plan for your retirement now. Preferably, do something that you can retire from before your adult diaper years.

4. All that boring ass banking/credit score stuff? It's really important.

5. Don't be a career martyr. If you are not doing something you would do for free, then you are on the express train to fuck-town

6. The woman you think you can't live without? Not only do you get over it, in no time, you can't even remember her last name.

7. If you haven't bought a motorcycle and/or driven cross-country the long way, your priorities are fucked

8. You need less than 1/4 of the stuff you think you do. For example, you only need three pairs of jeans: One to wear, one to wash and one just in case.

9. Your dad is the douchebag you will become

10. Carry roasted unsalted peanuts in your pocket to feed random squirrels. You'll thank me later.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote:\
* As in, Obama is the anti-christ. God in schools. Scriptural prophecy, God will destroy the earth 'cuz lefturds'. Neo-nazis aren't that bad, don't criticize them, they have the right to free speech. And all sorts of conspiracy theories about one world government, 'lieberals' taking all your guns and burnin' your bibles, etc.
I net-know one of those types. Naturally, he's also a smug "Ha ha, you're going to burn in hell because you're an atheist and I'm going to be lounging on a cloud in heaven watching you writhe and scream because I'm one of God's elect" hardcore fundie.

Sometimes, I get mildly annoyed at the Merkin-bashing that goes on in this forum, but people like that make me understand why it happens.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

rocko2466 wrote:Best poem ever.

Also, I was trying to post on A+ in the Justin Vacula Debate Challenge thread. I didn't notice on the first go (so I've double-posted) that moderators have to approve all posts before they are viewable.

Was that happening before, or have they ratcheted things up even more?
They do that for a new member's first few (dozen) posts, so that they can be sure you're the right type of person. That way, they won't have to ban as many people down the road. Oh, wait...

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby wrote:
another lurker wrote:\
I net-know one of those types. Naturally, he's also a smug "Ha ha, you're going to burn in hell because you're an atheist and I'm going to be lounging on a cloud in heaven watching you writhe and scream because I'm one of God's elect" hardcore fundie.

Sometimes, I get mildly annoyed at the Merkin-bashing that goes on in this forum, but people like that make me understand why it happens.
The people I am talking about are Canadian, but their spiritual brethren inhabit a US forum known as 'the free republic' :P

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote:
another lurker wrote:
She's a woman, she can get mad without you turning her into some sort of mra fucktoy
oh, honey. Everyone knows I am an MRA fucktoy.
Of course, that sort of thing is always better in the anticipation rather than the execution:

http://dubsism.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... doll-a.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha wrote: and since the California State Director for American Atheists and organizer of the Atheist Advocates of San Francisco knows me, I'll just let the Baboons wonder if I will be there or not.
Hahahahahaha!!11!!

Their paranoia is nearly as hypertrophied as their self-absorption.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Jan Steen wrote:
Oh the irony! It’s amusing to see an A+ commenter refer to Greta Christina’s ‘essay’ The Galileo Fallacy, and the Gadfly Corollary. Christina makes two quite trivial observations, which is that the following statements are fallacious:

1. Galileo’s ideas were initially rejected but correct; my ideas are being rejected, therefore my ideas are correct.
2. Great thinkers have made people angry or upset; I make people angry or upset, therefore I am a great thinker.
She's just making a well-worn and completely unoriginal fallacy. Variously attributed:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

--Carl Sagan

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:Surprisingly (to me) that curious little forum known as Atheismplus is still alive and kicking.
I see their member base topped 2K a while ago but the same ole members are keeping the post count average to themselves.
Not that post counts matter, but out of idle curiosity I occasionally check the total posts at A+ with the total posts here. With only 470 users, we're gaining on a 2,384 member community at the average rate of about 300 posts a day. At any given point, go to the A+ front page and see who left the last posts. I just did, and as usual, it's people like Hyperdeath, ceepolk, Setard and Xanthe. Taking a look at their signups from the last few months, almost all the members have either zero posts or are in the single digits. Now that happens here to some extent as well, but it's interesting that a forum with almost 2400 members is struggling so badly.
Is it really a 'safe space' or is it more a cubby house for the cool kids?
It's a place where people who are tired of being bullies can bully others.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:
Not one of them has ever been a "cool kid", and most of them probably needed surgical reconstruction from repeated wedgies. Although, to be fair, Setar probably likes that sort of thing.

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:look what I have been invited to:
(scroll down, I'm afraid if I reduce the image, the font will be too small to read.)
ReGreta.png
anyone want to bet on how long it will take from the moment I post this comment, to the organiser receiving phone call(s) about banning me because "Greta's physical well being is in imminent danger if I attend"

and since the California State Director for American Atheists and organizer of the Atheist Advocates of San Francisco knows me, I'll just let the Baboons wonder if I will be there or not.

It's really too bad that whenever PZ and friends try to get me banned from some event or gathering, the organiser knows me well enough to ignore them.

Awww....and I'll be missing it

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote:
Gumby wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:
Not one of them has ever been a "cool kid", and most of them probably needed surgical reconstruction from repeated wedgies. Although, to be fair, Setar probably likes that sort of thing.
It's all relative. Chess clubs have their coolness hierarchies as well. And that's what A+ is - an emo version of a stereotypical loser-riddled acne-infested high school chess club. If they can't be cool in real life, then by golly, they'll make a place where they can be.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

She's just making a well-worn and completely unoriginal fallacy. Variously attributed:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

--Carl Sagan
Nice catch.

I'm guessing Greta conveniently left out attribution...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

All right, I'm outta here. Take pity on me - my gf is making me take her to see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey... the 3D showing. After that, I might need to start my own thread on the A+ Support Forum.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6450306304/h463621FE/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Agenda Fluid

Post by Lsuoma »

Michael K Gray wrote:A✟Theismatists seem to like the term "Gender Fluid".
Why don't they be honest?
They are referring to Smegma, or Semen.
Moip or fanny batter, you sexist cunt.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Mykeru wrote:
rayshul wrote:

I gots a question. If you had to write a book your kid for when s/he's say 20 - 25, what topics would you include?

Atheism and ethics are two obvious ones, but any ideas (even if they're within those two broad categories) would be appreciated.
Is this nonfiction? As in a guide to living?
[spoiler]Important topics:

1. You are 25 now, when you wake up tomorrow, you'll be 50.

2. Do shit now that you will regret later, rather than not doing shit now that you will regret not doing later.

3. Plan for your retirement now. Preferably, do something that you can retire from before your adult diaper years.

4. All that boring ass banking/credit score stuff? It's really important.

5. Don't be a career martyr. If you are not doing something you would do for free, then you are on the express train to fuck-town

6. The woman you think you can't live without? Not only do you get over it, in no time, you can't even remember her last name.

7. If you haven't bought a motorcycle and/or driven cross-country the long way, your priorities are fucked

8. You need less than 1/4 of the stuff you think you do. For example, you only need three pairs of jeans: One to wear, one to wash and one just in case.

9. Your dad is the douchebag you will become

10. Carry roasted unsalted peanuts in your pocket to feed random squirrels. You'll thank me later.[/spoiler]
Fuck. I'm fucked. I think everything is good advice except the squirrels thing. We don't have many squirrels in Western Australia (but I will definitely be doing that when I visit the States again).

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Gumby wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:Surprisingly (to me) that curious little forum known as Atheismplus is still alive and kicking.
I see their member base topped 2K a while ago but the same ole members are keeping the post count average to themselves.
Not that post counts matter, but out of idle curiosity I occasionally check the total posts at A+ with the total posts here. With only 470 users, we're gaining on a 2,384 member community at the average rate of about 300 posts a day. At any given point, go to the A+ front page and see who left the last posts. I just did, and as usual, it's people like Hyperdeath, ceepolk, Setard and Xanthe. Taking a look at their signups from the last few months, almost all the members have either zero posts or are in the single digits. Now that happens here to some extent as well, but it's interesting that a forum with almost 2400 members is struggling so badly.
Do banned members still count toward the member tally? If so, they've probably got less actual members than here!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Gumby wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

--Carl Sagan
Nice catch.

See also the Crackpot Index item 35.
40 points for comparing yourself to Galileo, suggesting that a modern-day Inquisition is hard at work on your case, and so on.
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

welch

Post by welch »

Simon's still trying for the victim high ground on nugent's post. It ain't working real well.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

rocko2466 wrote: Do banned members still count toward the member tally? If so, they've probably got less actual members than here!
Yes.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 6789b7.jpg

franc

Post by franc »

Three concepts that need resuscitation from ancient Greece. Typhos, atyphia and parrhesia. All have their roots in ancient Athenian Cynicism circa 400–300 BCE and are all largely lost, or more probably eradicated, as they are heretical to every ideology that has ever stained our species - no exceptions.

Parrhesia to an extent has been revived, most prominently by Michel Foucalt in his last lectures. At it's most superficial, it is simply free speech. More correctly, it is fearless or bold speech. Absolute frankness, truth and clarity, even at the expense of hurt feelings or personal consequences. The Foucalt extracts from the cesspit summarise it fairly well -
So you see, the parrhesiastes is someone who takes a risk. Of course, this risk is not always a risk of life. When, for example, you see a friend doing something wrong and you risk incurring his anger by telling him he is wrong, you are acting as a parrhesiastes. In such a case, you do not risk your life, but you may hurt him by your remarks, and your friendship may consequently suffer for it. If, in a political debate, an orator risks losing his popularity because his opinions are contrary to the majority's opinion, or his opinions may usher in a political scandal, he uses parrhesia. Parrhesia, then, is linked to courage in the face of danger: it demands the courage to speak the truth in spite of some danger. And in its extreme form, telling the truth takes place in the "game" of life or death.
and -
To summarize the foregoing, parrhesia is a kind of verbal activity where the speaker has a specific relation to truth through frankness, a certain relationship to his own life through danger, a certain type of relation to himself or other people through criticism (self-criticism or criticism of other people), and a specific relation to moral law through freedom and duty. More precisely, parrhesia is a verbal activity in which a speaker expresses his personal relationship to truth, and risks his life because he recognizes truth-telling as a duty to improve or help other people (as well as himself). In parrhesia, the speaker uses his freedom and chooses frankness instead of persuasion, truth instead of falsehood or silence, the risk of death instead of life and security, criticism instead of flattery, and moral duty instead of self-interest and moral apathy.
Typhos has been completely lost - to the point it doesn't even exist in google. But, to me, it is the most important concept of the three. It has nothing to do with the monster in Greek mythology that even the god's feared, nor the disease. It is so obscure, I have had to make an effort to reconstruct its meaning from quite a pile of sources. At its superficial level it translates as nonsense, but again, there is a lot more to it. This is my interpretation -
typhos – Archaic Greek, literally “smoke, vapor”. A cloudy, misty, befuddled state of mind; intellectual smog; the delerium of popular ideas and conventions that are thoroughly divorced from reality or merit.
Typhos sees no difference between religion, homeopathy, conspiracy theory, personality cultdom or the gibberish that spews from the baboons. It is all the product of a mind that is fogged by the indistinct mist of concocted realities and incapable of either objectivity or clarity.

Luis Navia, probably the best living Cynic historian puts it this way -
The Cynics persisted in the conviction that most people live as if immersed in a cloud of smoke (typhos) that prevents them from seeing clearly and does not allow them to use that which distinguishes humans from animals—namely, the capacity to reason. In abandoning this capacity, people forsake their true nature. Diogenes often said that the human world is an enormous madhouse in which every sort of madness is found everywhere: cruelty, greed, deception, mendacity, brutality, uncontrolled hedonism, and the rest of the all-too-common diseases that afflict humanity and have become endemic in the form of things such as religion, patriotism, tradition, and other manifestations of irrationality.
It is no extravagant claim to say that every fuck up this planet has ever made has been the direct result of typhos.

Atyphia is the simplest. It is the antithesis of typhos. It is clarity and simplicity in expression, the removal of ambiguities from meaning. It is the engine that drives parrhesia. Plain talk, calling a spade a spade, fuck your feelings, this is how it really is. Bullshit free and pure, if somewhat painful.

I think everything else that we have - from reason to ethics to logic - is built upon the foundation stones of these concepts.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gumby wrote:
Oneiros666 wrote: 2. "My toaster doesn't work properly". Seriously, that's the thread's topic. This guy's toaster doesn't function properly and s/h/it want support.
The should have included that one in the "Because I lack privilege..." thread.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Jan Steen wrote:[spoiler]
Gumby wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

--Carl Sagan
Nice catch.

See also the Crackpot Index item 35.
40 points for comparing yourself to Galileo, suggesting that a modern-day Inquisition is hard at work on your case, and so on.
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html[/spoiler]
Christina's unoriginal fallacies are just forms of 'affirming the consequent,' a fallacy which has been discussed here before.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&p=36998&hilit=consequent#p36998

But to A Plussers she is a great thinker whose words are Holy Writ.

codelette

Post by codelette »

JackRayner wrote: Speaking of Africa [article didn't mention it but there was a picture], the Spaniards brought slaves to Puerto Rico, so our Spanish includes some words of African origin. One is "chumba", which is used for females with flat/no ass. [Codelette can step in and correct me if she knows one, since I've been away from the island for a long time, but that I know] We don't have a similar word for "flat chested woman" so in my own, biased view, I think that speaks a little to my culture's preferences. :)
Yes, that's the word. You are quite correct about Puerto Rico (and I'll say the rest of the Caribbean and Brazil) about being ass-centric. And no, there's no word for flat-chested women in Puerto Rico. Some people may comment about your lack of tits, but there's no one word that succinctly describe being flat-chested.

pandora

Post by pandora »

Mykeru wrote: 8. You need less than 1/4 of the stuff you think you do. For example, you only need three pairs of jeans: One to wear, one to wash and one just in case.
/runs off to cut down her wardrobe to three of each category

though all your tips are brilliant, though like Rocko I'm Aussie and squirrels are sadly absent here.

franc

Post by franc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Gumby wrote:
That pic needed doing -

http://zipmeme.com/uploads/generated/g1 ... 985428.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

pandora wrote:
Mykeru wrote: 8. You need less than 1/4 of the stuff you think you do. For example, you only need three pairs of jeans: One to wear, one to wash and one just in case.
/runs off to cut down her wardrobe to three of each category

though all your tips are brilliant, though like Rocko I'm Aussie and squirrels are sadly absent here.
Dammit, get some. They're great. If it wasn't for squirrels, I would be flying over DC in a P-38 dropping napalm.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... el-486.jpg

MOAR NOM NOM PEANUT PLEEZ.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Oh wait, that rabbit thing really didn't work out for you Aussies due to your pansy-ass indigenous marsupials not being able to compete.

Never mind.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Skep tickle wrote:
DownThunder wrote:
sacha wrote:Although I have been referred to as a Gender Traitor as long as I can remember, and have always been able to see sexism towards men with a very different perspective than most women, and even though I have always defended men when women made sexist comments, and have always been more comfortable around men, I thought of myself as "pro-equality". I am a MRA because I live in the US.
BTW when was the term "gender traitor" coined and by which individuals or groups, as least in your experience? Lesbian separatists etc?
I'll be interested to read what sacha and Scented Nectar have to say about this. I went poking around online, earliest use of it I found was from 1991 in a magazine here: http://tinyurl.com/b5gng2a
I only know it from current use. We had different words and phrases that meant almost the same thing though.

franc

Post by franc »

Last edited by Lsuoma on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: FIX SPOILER FUCK-UP

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:Surprisingly (to me) that curious little forum known as Atheismplus is still alive and kicking. [spoiler]I see their member base topped 2K a while ago but the same ole members are keeping the post count average to themselves.

I'd like to see a top 5 list of users/posters/moderators that we've come to love so dearly, and what they're most commonly known for. (banhammering etc)

Pretty much the same deal as the recent "Top 5 wankers of 2012" thanks to Reap.
Something along those lines might be a good laugh.

If not, eat shit.[/spoiler]
Here are a few statistics:

Number of accounts by type:

[spoiler]Member 2268
Banned User 98
Moderator 12
Site Admin 4
Former Mod 2[/spoiler]

Posts by account type:
[spoiler]Member 39928
Moderator 11862
Former Moderator 3768
Site Admin 2299
Banned User 1635[/spoiler]

Top 15 Posters

[spoiler]Global Moderatorceepolk 2696
maiforpeace 2510
Global ModeratorSubMor 2149
Global ModeratorFlewellyn 1980
Cipher 1571
Setar 1534
Site Adminhyperdeath 1509
simpleflower 1402
ischemgeek 1347
Grimalkin 1258
Eowyn Entwife 1199
Global ModeratorLovely 1192
Global ModeratorOnamission5 1084
Global ModeratorCatherine 1061
Global Moderatorpiegasm 977

Note that the top 15 account for 23,469 posts (or 39.4% of all posts)[/spoiler]

Accounts that were banned without posting:

[spoiler]HugeManatee
InfectiousDiseases
derp cameron
glitoris
AtheistK
poissonal
witchreborn
rBurning Urethra
Doingbusiness
Marleyandmarley
JailBait[/spoiler]

And, lastly, just for laughs, a few usernames of accounts that aren't banned:
[spoiler]BURN NIGGERS
CunningLingus
FinancePhD
God is real
Ignorantdick
justinvacula
KILL ALL THE NIGGERS
Niggers must die
RichardReed84
tigzy
WoolyBumblebee[/spoiler]

`

codelette

Post by codelette »

I know this has been said before...by Trogdor, those SurlyRamics are the ugliest, tackiest pieces of shit ever.
For such an art-minded person, she does have horrible taste and no art sensibility. She's to "skeptic" cons what Romero Britto is to the Miami art scene. Only people with no refined taste -or her friends- buy and wear those horrible pieces of crap.
Paint-by-numbers, mass-produced, low-quality junk. Monkey-eyes, your art may as well have a "Made in China" sticker on the back.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Been years since I had to do this. Hated by all sides how pathetically low is that? Then to be proud of it? I just hope he never breeds the world contains enough stupid as it is. Fucking idiot
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/oolon2.png

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

mikelf wrote:
Only if "alive and kicking" is synonymous with "on life support with a barely functioning autonomic nervous system."

Accounts by join date:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... fc82e8.jpg

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

How much money is made at these conventions?

I'm still struggling to comprehend why people constantly turn up to these things even when so many appear to be the same bat shit boring people.

I just got done watching http://www.universetoday.com/98395/ulti ... es-nov-14/

so many interesting people out there that "Pro sciency stuff" conventions should be looking to grab, but instead we get the same boring people that discuss topics as if they had to come up with something at the last minute so they could talk at the convention.

Also flying fox > ground based rodent.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Paul Fidalgo apparently got riled up by TF's video, too, since he's on the list of people who wrote essays on 'hatred directed against women', so I wrote a little essay back to him on his blog post. Guess who shows up?
paulfidalgomelody.jpg
(335.76 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
If it isn't the CFI Executive Director for DC rearing its ugly head!

By the way, the Twitter link leads to this:

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/lzcKD.png[/spoiler]

franc

Post by franc »

Reap wrote:Been years since I had to do this. Hated by all sides how pathetically low is that? Then to be proud of it? I just hope he never breeds the world contains enough stupid as it is. Fucking idiot
[spoiler]http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/oolon2.png[/spoiler]
How does the loser find enough hours in the day? No matter how obscure a blog or forum is, if it mentions something which he can earn some ass-licking points from, he's there. Without fail. How grim a reality is his world that this is the only way he can affirm his existence?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Forgot to include a link to the blog:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/nearearthob ... ving-into/

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3503

Wherein Setar thinks destruction of property is ok if the property is owned by big corporations (such as, I'm assuming, JohnTheOther Incorporated).

Reap

Post by Reap »

sacha wrote: and since the California State Director for American Atheists and organizer of the Atheist Advocates of San Francisco knows me, I'll just let the Baboons wonder if I will be there or not.

It's really too bad that whenever PZ and friends try to get me banned from some event or gathering, the organiser knows me well enough to ignore them.
Yea I was wondering how that would work, with you and I and several of my friends and the fact I am the organizer of a bay area atheist group. Anyways...I'll keep an eye out just to say "hi" Don't worry I HATE coffee, I just drink booze.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Am I abusing my privilege if I use my toaster to light cigarettes....? Cause I do.

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Pitchguest wrote:Paul Fidalgo apparently got riled up by TF's video, too, since he's on the list of people who wrote essays on 'hatred directed against women', so I wrote a little essay back to him on his blog post. Guess who shows up?
paulfidalgomelody.jpg
If it isn't the CFI Executive Director for DC rearing its ugly head!

By the way, the Twitter link leads to this:

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/lzcKD.png[/spoiler]

Very well put.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/nearearthob ... mment-3868
And actually, speaking out against harassment is a form of activism. There are many days where I receive emails and messages from women that tell me that they would no longer be a part of this movement if it were not for me speaking out.
Anyone else reminded of the scene in boogie nights where he claims he gets letters from people claiming that he has helped saved their marriage

Hunter R. Thompson

Post by Hunter R. Thompson »

Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while, and it's nice to see that there are actually some people left in community who are sceptics who actually use scepticism. For some time now I thought I was the only one. so I have decided to register and join the fun.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Hi Hunter and welcome :)

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Hunter R. Thompson wrote:Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while, and it's nice to see that there are actually some people left in community who are sceptics who actually use scepticism. For some time now I thought I was the only one. so I have decided to register and join the fun.
Welcome to 'The Pit,' Hunter :)

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Welcome hunter. It appears the Christmas period has increased the slymepit. ( I joined recently myself )

Hunter R. Thompson

Post by Hunter R. Thompson »

thank you it's a pleasure to be here.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Pitchguest wrote:Forgot to include a link to the blog:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/nearearthob ... ving-into/
The fact that there is a contingent of folks who are fighting for the right to joke about sin and perceive oppression of godless atheists is an abysmal state of affairs, and yeah, we need to root that shit out.

--Paul Fidalgo
Oh wait, sorry, that last quote had a couple typos.
The fact that there is a contingent of folks who are fighting for the right to joke about rape and perceive oppression of the white male is an abysmal state of affairs, and yeah, we need to root that shit out.

--Paul Fidalgo
Yeah, that's much better.

Now, I never actually joke about rape (although I do joke about people using rape as a shameless rhetorical ploy) but I maintain that I have the right to joke about rape, in theory and practice, until one of these authoritarian fuckers can actually prevent me from joking about rape. I also support the right for others to make "rape jokes" especially if they are funny

For example:
"I was raped by a doctor, which is so bittersweet for a Jewish girl."
-Sarah Silverman
Now do something about it.

I maintain, once again, that this obsession with sex, sexuality, reproduction and rape is the realm of neurotic 20-something women and the males who sniff around them, who have not yet grown into their sexuality. Or in the case of Ophelia Benson and the older set, will not ever.

Thank Christ.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Hunter R. Thompson wrote:Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while, and it's nice to see that there are actually some people left in community who are sceptics who actually use scepticism. For some time now I thought I was the only one. so I have decided to register and join the fun.
Welcome

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/i/i ... 470-75.jpg

'Pitter!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Holy shit

download/file.php?avatar=362_1357403821.jpg

Dillahunty has really let himself go.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

hi hunter and welcome

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

mikelf wrote: And, lastly, just for laughs, a few usernames of accounts that aren't banned:
[spoiler]BURN NIGGERS
CunningLingus
FinancePhD
God is real
Ignorantdick
justinvacula
KILL ALL THE NIGGERS
Niggers must die
RichardReed84
tigzy
WoolyBumblebee[/spoiler]
:lol: I joined while A+ had only just come thrashing out of Jen's amniotic sac, in the hope of trolling for some lulz. As it happens, the lulz came without me having to troll at all.

BTW, don't mistake me for the tigzy who's over there - Just for the record, I'm Niggers Must Die.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Freezepaging Fidalgo's blog post in case it gets memoryholed:

http://www.freezepage.com/1357404736JEGPREZEHT

By the way, Melody's out of her shell and actually conversing with people for a change. Well, maybe 'conversing' is giving her too much credit.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Reap wrote:Been years since I had to do this. Hated by all sides how pathetically low is that? Then to be proud of it? I just hope he never breeds the world contains enough stupid as it is. Fucking idiot
*snipped image*
He mentioned on FTB that he has a daughter. I really feel sorry for her.