The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Laurel Hubbard, the sexiest woman in New Zealand after Jacinda 'The Beaver' Ardern, to make the kiwi olympic team:

https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/05/06/ ... okyo-games

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Now that's a muntmungeous stack of revolting nope!

/urbane

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Donald J. Trump
11:57am May 6, 2021

The Fake News Media, working in close conjunction with Big Tech and the Radical Left Democrats, is doing everything they can to perpetuate the term “The Big Lie” when speaking of 2020 Presidential Election Fraud. They are right in that the 2020 Presidential Election was a Big Lie, but not in the way they mean. The 2020 Election, which didn’t even have Legislative approvals from many States (which is required under the U.S. Constitution), and was also otherwise corrupt, was indeed The Big Lie. So when they try to sell the American people the term The Big Lie, which they do in unison and coordination, think of it instead as the greatest Fraud in the history of our Country! An even greater Hoax than Russia, Russia, Russia, Mueller, Mueller, Mueller, Impeachment Hoax #1, Impeachment Hoax #2, or any of the other many scams the Democrats pulled!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Meanwhile:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Polk County public schools require masks despite Florida lifting all mask mandates.
https://www.theledger.com/story/news/ed ... 954503001/

And in one Polk County school...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

And choco rations have been increased to 25 grammes.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote: Now that's a muntmungeous stack of revolting nope!

/urbane
From the beeb story:
Australia's weightlifting federation complained about Hubbard's participation at the 2018 Commonwealth Games where she eventually had to pull out because of an elbow injury.
Too much tugging as a teen is gonna getcha eventually.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm
It's hard to switch to the clean-and-jerk from the jerk-and-clean.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Especially if you look like a human fiddler crab...

https://assets.fishersci.com/TFS-Assets ... ps-650.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Today's atrocity was a morning phone call from Fang. For years, Fang has been my best friend. For long stretches he has been loyal & worthy. However, sometimes he's my 'best friend' by attrition & default.

Jordan Peterson talks about a job interview with a 25 year old idiot applying, vs. a 35 year old idiot. You hire the 25 year old because they might grow out of it. As for the 35 year old, well.

The similarities between Fang & Karl Pilkington are so uncanny-- you might-as-well just picture Karl. Even Fang's half-decade exploration of being a part-time autogynophile cross-dresser... is as hapless and joyless as Pilkington's world travels.

For a long time, one of Fang's appealing qualities was his willingness to admit he didn't know much & ask questions. Questions most people would avoid, as their ignorance would be revealed. However, over time, this trait lost much of it's charm-- as it became clear that, yes, he would ask questions: but he wouldn't listen-to & learn-from the damn answers. He'd just use the questions to express his anxieties-- and feel re-assured by the sound of an explanatory reply... then proceed to follow whatever uniformed whim he wanted-to, all along. Another close friend of his noticed this first-- texting 'Why even ask my advice? You NEVER take it!' Fang got butthurt, showed me the text, then was surprised when I agreed with the other guy.

Fang has grown wary of my opinions. Recently, I hear from him less. He has re-connected with childhood friends-- sweathogs from the old neighborhood-- knuckleheads you see playing poor, colorful native new-yorkers in movies. They're more likely to tell him what he wants to hear. He's got 2 other 'smart guy' friends-- his chiropractor & a guy who opened a feminist bookstore so he could sleep with young chicks. So when Fang calls me-- a little quirk I've come to expect-- is he'll explain what's on his mind, ask me some question, then listen to part-of my answer... and then he'll jump-in to say some-other-guy either agreed or disagreed with me. At which point I'll realize this isn't an organic two-way conversation: he has already had the conversation with one or more people, he's following a script, he's going down a list-- sampling what we each have to say... then cherry-picking from the replies to confirm whatever he was going to do all-along.

I'm burying the lede:

Fang called this morning to tell me that he had invested $500 in Doge Coin. He bought at 65 cents, and it had fallen to 61 cents, and "So now I want to jump out of the window. I'm joking, but also not. I keep checking the price all the time. It's bad for my addictive personality."

The fact that I hadn't heard about the purchase beforehand-- means he was certain my opinion would be discouraging, so he avoided hearing it.

He said he bought Doge because he saw a YouTuber talk about Elon Musk hosting SNL, and a rumor there'd be a DogeCoin skit, and hopes the price would jump to a dollar a coin. He said there's lots of 'buzz' about Doge and crypto. He said he bought $500 worth of Doge because the 'price is low' so he could buy more coins-- than buying a fraction of Bitcoin or whatever else. He seemed oblivious $500 in nickels is worth no-more than five $100 bills. He said, "some major league baseball team is now accepting Doge to buy their merch and tickets". He said, "Jeff Bezos says he likes it."

He said it would be great if the Doge coins eventually go up to $300 per coin. I asked him if he could really imagine watching the price climb from 65 cents to 300 dollars-- without deciding to cash-out. I asked how he'd know $300 was the right place to exit... why not hold on for $3000?

I said the things he told me-- were setting-off all sorts of red warning lights. But nothing I tell him would mean anything to him. He'd have to lose his money/ make his own mistakes/ to know. $500 is a cheap tuition. And the worst thing that could happen would be if the price shot way-up... because then the only thing he'd "learn" is that he _might_ be a natural-born inuitive magical investment-picking genius... who has zero idea what he did 'right'.

Then he could start his own YouTube channel, smash that like button & subscribe!

Everything 'before' this chart is flatline. The highest peak is where Fang bought his coins.

DogeCoin is up 14,000% year-to-date.

Doge Coin has a market capitalization above Honda corporation, above SpaceX.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

And-- he's using fucking Robinhood-- to buy the Doge.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Fortune Magazine, April 19, 2021:
"Dogecoin has had a value of half a cent for most of its seven-year history. Ten thousand new Dogecoins are programmed to be issued every minute for the rest of eternity, meaning the value will never hold. It’s a cryptocurrency that’s meant to always get cheaper. Even the creator of the coin is flummoxed by its rise.

At least one person or company might be making real money on the Dogecoin surge, though. In February, word escaped that an unknown entity currently holds roughly 28% of the Dogecoin in circulation—some 38.6 billion Dogecoin. After today’s high point, that was worth nearly $5.6 billion."

(The highs have doubled since then.)

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

We can make fun of the 4 Lions larping gun toting Antifas all we want, but these wankers are roaming in packs through Portland in the middle of the day without cops in sight.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Would sir care for some cheese with his wine?

:lol:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote:
Sorry sir, we're all out of Menthols and I don't expect we'll ever have more.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Fortune Magazine, April 19, 2021:
"Dogecoin has had a value of half a cent for most of its seven-year history. Ten thousand new Dogecoins are programmed to be issued every minute for the rest of eternity, meaning the value will never hold. It’s a cryptocurrency that’s meant to always get cheaper. Even the creator of the coin is flummoxed by its rise.

At least one person or company might be making real money on the Dogecoin surge, though. In February, word escaped that an unknown entity currently holds roughly 28% of the Dogecoin in circulation—some 38.6 billion Dogecoin. After today’s high point, that was worth nearly $5.6 billion."

E pur si muove , amirite?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Heh.

Another morning call from Fang, just now. In a handful of days, he lost $150 of his $500 investment. Which worried him. But then the Good Idea Fairy visited him again-- he realized that "when" DogeCoin hits $1... he'll just make that-much more money... if he buys at the new, lower price.

So he's going-in another $500. As he spoke, he casually mentioned-- 'Moped Dan' and 'the Loreweaver'-- nicknames for 2 of his dopey friends-- who he has been advising get-in on this amazing opportunity.

I offered him an alternative: if he has the urge to commit more money to this-- I told him he can come to me instead & place bets. I bet Dogecoin will go down. In the fairly-near term, and long term. So when he loses all his money, he can take comfort in knowing it went to his good friend, not lost to some stranger. Surely that will only strengthen our friendship, and he won't resent me at all. heh.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:26 pm

A few years ago after the meteoric rise of Bitcoin I had the bright idea of putting some money into some of the fractions of a cent cryptos, Dogecoin being one of them. Wouldn't have been much money invested but I reckoned the chances of a payoff were much higher than with lottery tickets and it would have been a fun low risk way to try my hand at currency trading. The spare cash I had earmarked for this was ripped of by a scumbag who was supposed to pick up a bargain laptop for me from a dealer he knew. He took the money, did a runner from his rental and dropped off the map. The last 2 decades have been a sad story of abused trust and loss of faith in humanity. Until then I'd been fortunate to have a circle of friends and acquaintances who honored their word and obligations. That left me a bit open to exploitation by sociopaths picking up on my willingness to help people in tough spots. Almost without exception the people I've helped financially have skipped without honouring the debt. The inheritance my mother left to me and my brother was almost R500k less than it should have been because of a major investment fund fraud. This is why I reserve a special hatred for the kind of dirtbag who can manipulatively appeal to your goodwill without the slightest outward indication of insincerity and for the white collar fraudster who makes off with pension funds. These people deserve to be punished as harshly as violent offenders. At least you know what to expect from a mugger or burglar, who may leave you feeling that your space has been violated, but the con artist destroys trust in your own judgement and in humanity. Fraudsters can also wipe out your finances completely, which is something a burglar seldom manages.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: the people I've helped financially have skipped without honouring the debt
That's one area where Fang does have financial smarts, earned the hard way. He has loaned/lost money to many deadbeat 'friends'.

A pithy line of his: "People love to pay back *some* of what they owe you."

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My GF received a significant inheritance when her dad died. I suggested she talk to my dad about investments and retirement, as he's really good with that stuff. And they get along well. Her co-worker gave her the number of his guy. Instead, she availed herself of the free financial advisor provided by her credit union [my local bank has a similar free guy who sits there on Fridays.} He suggested she sink most of the dough into an annuity. I researched them and said, those are bad. I asked my dad, he said, his finance guy always said those are bad. Free advisor guy manipulated, berated, basically phone-stalked my GF til she caved. When I found out, I went on a bit of a tear. I also offered to drive to Chico and jack up free advice guy. Fortunately, she had a thirty-day back-out period and, after a few months of foot-dragging, those cunts in Munich sent her money back.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Remember the early 2000s when skeptic/atheist blogging was at fever pitch and such luminaries as Orac were berating the alt medists and anti-vaxxers? What was the gold standard for medical treatments, that thing the alts didn't have? Exhaustive double-blind clinical trials,adherence to the scientific method and open peer review. Nobody can honestly proclaim the Covid vaccines safe because we don't have these things. There is every reason not to force vaccination on categories of people not at significant risk. Social media anti-disinformation Kommissars, politicians and media flaks are controlling access to opinions people might need to hear in order to make informed decisions.
Can anybody say that this guy is wrong and why?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brett Weinstein has a unique ability to take a difficult-to-understand subject, and by carefully and slowly explaining it, make it completely incomprehensible.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Brett Weinstein has a unique ability to take a difficult-to-understand subject, and by carefully and slowly explaining it, make it completely incomprehensible.
I like the part where Bret sez passing-out guns to all your citizens is effective before the first boat arrives, with a dozen invaders on board...

...but if you're already subjugated by an occupying army, then passing out pistols (with a 2 week delay on ammo & training) will only alert the Invaders-- who the troublemakers-are, to easily shut them down.

Helping Hand provided a helpful/handy visual aid, earlier:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
"She" will probably have to swap to the snatch now, anyway.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

A few years ago after the meteoric rise of Bitcoin I had the bright idea of putting some money into some of the fractions of a cent cryptos, Dogecoin being one of them. Wouldn't have been much money invested but I reckoned the chances of a payoff were much higher than with lottery tickets and it would have been a fun low risk way to try my hand at currency trading. The spare cash I had earmarked for this was ripped of by a scumbag who was supposed to pick up a bargain laptop for me from a dealer he knew. He took the money, did a runner from his rental and dropped off the map. The last 2 decades have been a sad story of abused trust and loss of faith in humanity. Until then I'd been fortunate to have a circle of friends and acquaintances who honored their word and obligations. That left me a bit open to exploitation by sociopaths picking up on my willingness to help people in tough spots. Almost without exception the people I've helped financially have skipped without honouring the debt. The inheritance my mother left to me and my brother was almost R500k less than it should have been because of a major investment fund fraud. This is why I reserve a special hatred for the kind of dirtbag who can manipulatively appeal to your goodwill without the slightest outward indication of insincerity and for the white collar fraudster who makes off with pension funds. These people deserve to be punished as harshly as violent offenders. At least you know what to expect from a mugger or burglar, who may leave you feeling that your space has been violated, but the con artist destroys trust in your own judgement and in humanity. Fraudsters can also wipe out your finances completely, which is something a burglar seldom manages.
I got into BTC at $10 - 10 units. Felt smart when I got out at $2K.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

My jealousy knows no bounds...
Army to receive 148 of ‘most lethal’ battle tanks in Europe
https://static.standard.co.uk/2021/05/0 ... 45%2Csmart
An £800 million contract will see the British army equipped with 148 of the “most lethal” main battle tanks in Europe the Defence Secretary has announced.

The fleet of fully-digitised Challenger 3 tanks will be produced at the Rheinmetall BAE Systems Land (RBSL) plant at Telford in Shropshire and will replace the existing Challenger 2 vehicles which have been in service since 1998.
It's an interesting time to be alive (in boots) with the shift from "war-fighting" to "peacekeeping" swinging back to start-state. Russian and Chinese posturing has clearly rattled Whitehall prompting policy-shifts and procurement decisions such as this. Tail-end of my career, we were pretty much told MBT were being phased out (fast air, drones, EW, cyber warfare and other "solutions" were the death knell of heavy "A") and our shift to the light (spit) and wheeled roles seemed to confirm the paradigm shift.

Now, with the contract for CR3 in full flow, our return to "Projection & Effect" is guaranteed! Hopefully, as in the past, it will be the glorious "Grey mafia" who spearhead the transition to the new MBT and help train the rest of the corps. I've been reading a few bits and bobs about the new vehicle (can't go into details) and will say this - it's an evil piece of warfighting kit!

Example: The IFCS (improved fire control systems) on CR2 were ruthless - I could "lay" the gunner onto a target and as he went through his skills and drills, I could pre-select and "store" a sequence of follow-up targets. When the gunner was ready to engage, I'd do my final checks then release the gunner to finish the shoot. Upon "target stop" (enemy destroyed), the computer automatically turns the turret/gun to aim at the next "stored" target (we nickname this "wanging" the gun around) at which point, the gunner initiates the next engagement.

Start-to-finish, depending upon a few variables, a single CR2 can blast half a dozen targets in roughly one minute. Day or night, our thermal capabilities make a mockery of trying to hide in the dark!

Now, based upon the systems I've been reading about, compared to CR3, CR2 is a slow, inaccurate heap of shit that's fit for the scrap-heap! Obviously, as is standard, we will undoubtedly retain a number of CR2 platforms as "war stock" (hell, when I switched from Chieftain to CR1, we still had Centurion war-stock!) and some of our old/crusty CR2 instructors will have to pass the torch to the younger generation of gunnery and D&M (driving and maintenance) gurus.

I'm chewing my keyboard in absolute jealousy! I would give my left nut and one years wages for a session in a CR3!

Bastard.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Lsuoma wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:27 pm
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

I laughed at the losers wasting their time running mining rigs and felt smart. The financial pundits were so sure BTC was all a bit foolish and I thought Max Keiser was pushing it for nefarious reasons. Fucking experts! If only I had a time machine. To think that all you needed to do back in the early days to earn coins was run a bit of software on a decent CPU and graphics card.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: ww.youtube.com/watch?v=nnm_97BLg2E
I could be boring and link the video (or a lyric vid) so I'll do something different - here's an ice-skating routine set to "Exogenesis symphony: redemption" by Muse. Lyrics are about resetting bad choices (turning back the clock) and doing it "right" this time. Truly beautiful piece of music, makes my soul bleed.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Let's start over again
Why can't we start it over again
Just let us start it over again
And we'll be good
This time we'll get it, mmm get it right
It's the last chance to forgive ourselves

Lyrics to Exogenesis: Redemption by Muse

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

Made $3k on etherium and quit. Bit of fun playing in the Ponzi scheme.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: Let's start over again
Why can't we start it over again
Just let us start it over again
And we'll be good
This time we'll get it, mmm get it right
It's the last chance to forgive ourselves

Lyrics to Exogenesis: Redemption by Muse
Bittersweet. Reminds me of this:

Trouble is, sometimes, it's not about the relationship being bent vs. broken, if the other person is broken.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Remember the early 2000s when skeptic/atheist blogging was at fever pitch and such luminaries as Orac were berating the alt medists and anti-vaxxers? What was the gold standard for medical treatments, that thing the alts didn't have? Exhaustive double-blind clinical trials,adherence to the scientific method and open peer review. Nobody can honestly proclaim the Covid vaccines safe because we don't have these things. There is every reason not to force vaccination on categories of people not at significant risk. Social media anti-disinformation Kommissars, politicians and media flaks are controlling access to opinions people might need to hear in order to make informed decisions.
"Exhaustive"—no. There wasn't time for that: it was a rush job and inevitably might have been done better with all the time in the world to accomplish it. But you can't say the vaccines weren't tested in a double-blind fashion. My sister-in-law in the UK was one of the Phase 3 subjects and was informed that if she got sick the researchers would 'break the code' and find out if she'd had the vaccine or the placebo. If that's not an indication of blinding I don't know what is. And the "Phase 4" trial that has vaccinated, what?, 66% of the UK population with at least one dose has confirmed what the Phase 3 trials said. Just look at the headlines there over the last couple of weeks as the number of hospitalised cases and the number of deaths has fallen dramatically. Or use the government figures.

I may have said this before, but most people never ask the right question about vaccines and their safety. No vaccine comes with a guarantee of 100% safety, and they can have lethal unwanted effects. Stipulating that, the only remaining question is which is the safer course of action, to have it or not and accept the risk of infection, disability and death from the disease it is meant to prevent? Even if your personal risk is low, you may still kill your neighbour who is less lucky, and you may feel a duty to your fellow citizens not to be the free-rider who lets them take the risk while you reap the benefits. We know from experience that many historical diseases haven't gone away and will come back as soon as herd immunity is lost (measles, mumps in recent examples, and diphtheria after the fall of the USSR was particularly quick to return in deadly fashion). With a virus like SARS-CoV 2, the case is pretty straightforward as it is dangerous enough to make anyone who isn't unhinged by conspiracy theories actively want the vaccine. Those who say that as they are young and strong and don't need it are basically like people getting HIV in the early 80's and deliberately having unsafe sex with as many others as possible. It really is manslaughter at the very least. It seems that the viral vector vaccines—AZ and J&J—are the ones with any meaningful risk attached. If you'll permit me to use UK figures again, as they have used lots of the AZ and never paused it at all, plus they actually collect reliable statistics, the risk of death from CVST syndrome after the AZ vaccine is 9.6 per million doses. If those same million people had no vaccine, took their chance, some of them catch Covid-19 and some of those will die. A lot more than 9.6: the UK reports 120k cumulative Covid-19 deaths, with a total population of 68 million (not all of whom have been infected of course), which is 1764 deaths/million. Given an odds ratio of 1:183, you have to ask yourself the Dirty Harry question. I don't feel that lucky!

I'd like to tell you I have put my money where my mouth is, but I'm in a curious position with regard to immunity right now: I have the immune system of a newborn as when you get someone else's stem cells they know nothing of the immunities acquired by their descendants in the original owner's body. Maybe less well-equipped than a newborn in that I didn't get any transplacental antibodies or colostrum! I have to wait six months after transplant to get any vaccinations at all, and there is a full schedule of all the childhood vaccinations to be done in quite a hurry, sometimes five different things in a day. I cannot have a live virus vaccine, such as MMR, until two years post-transplant, because of the risk the weakened virus will be triumphant over my even more weakened immune system. So that means that come mid-August, the first thing I should be looking for is a Pfizer of Moderna vaccine, as the AZ and J&J are live virus vaccines. Then I can get stuck into polio, pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, H.influenzae, S.pneumonii, meningococcus etc. It's a curious thing to think that I have never had even a cold! So I'm under house arrest until I'm immunised against all the above, whatever happens with our current strict lockdown.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote: Even if your personal risk is low, you may still kill your neighbour who is less lucky, and you may feel a duty to your fellow citizens not to be the free-rider who lets them take the risk while you reap the benefits
With rare exceptions like yourself, everyone who needs the vaccine has now had the opportunity to get the vaccine. Nuf ced.

With a virus like SARS-CoV 2, the case is pretty straightforward as it is dangerous enough to make anyone who isn't unhinged by conspiracy theories actively want the vaccine
Yeah, those 99.99% odds of surviving just aren’t worth the risk.

Those who say that as they are young and strong and don't need it are basically like people getting HIV in the early 80's and deliberately having unsafe sex with as many others as possible.
Don't be ridiculous. There was no vaccine, no effective treatment, and HIV was basically 100% fatal. Those who had unsafe sex knew they were rolling the dice.

For covid, we now have a vaccine, Ivermectin is proven effective both as a prophylactic and a treatment, and even among the most vulnerable population, fatality rate is only 5%. If you don't want to roll the dice, stay quarantined.

It really is manslaughter at the very least.
It's the death of all logic and proportion, is what it is.

I have to wait six months after transplant to get any vaccinations at all..... So that means that come mid-August.... Then I can get stuck into polio, pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, H.influenzae, S.pneumonii, meningococcus etc.
I'm sorry for your predicament, and wish you a full recovery. But are you really demanding that the entire rest of the fucking world get vaccinated so you can wander about three months early? Since pretty much any infectious disease could kill you, are we also expected to get every single vaccination?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Remember the early 2000s when skeptic/atheist blogging was at fever pitch and such luminaries as Orac were berating the alt medists and anti-vaxxers? What was the gold standard for medical treatments, that thing the alts didn't have? Exhaustive double-blind clinical trials,adherence to the scientific method and open peer review. Nobody can honestly proclaim the Covid vaccines safe because we don't have these things. There is every reason not to force vaccination on categories of people not at significant risk. Social media anti-disinformation Kommissars, politicians and media flaks are controlling access to opinions people might need to hear in order to make informed decisions.
"Exhaustive"—no. There wasn't time for that: it was a rush job and inevitably might have been done better with all the time in the world to accomplish it. But you can't say the vaccines weren't tested in a double-blind fashion. My sister-in-law in the UK was one of the Phase 3 subjects and was informed that if she got sick the researchers would 'break the code' and find out if she'd had the vaccine or the placebo. If that's not an indication of blinding I don't know what is. And the "Phase 4" trial that has vaccinated, what?, 66% of the UK population with at least one dose has confirmed what the Phase 3 trials said. Just look at the headlines there over the last couple of weeks as the number of hospitalised cases and the number of deaths has fallen dramatically. Or use the government figures.

I may have said this before, but most people never ask the right question about vaccines and their safety. No vaccine comes with a guarantee of 100% safety, and they can have lethal unwanted effects. Stipulating that, the only remaining question is which is the safer course of action, to have it or not and accept the risk of infection, disability and death from the disease it is meant to prevent? Even if your personal risk is low, you may still kill your neighbour who is less lucky, and you may feel a duty to your fellow citizens not to be the free-rider who lets them take the risk while you reap the benefits. We know from experience that many historical diseases haven't gone away and will come back as soon as herd immunity is lost (measles, mumps in recent examples, and diphtheria after the fall of the USSR was particularly quick to return in deadly fashion). With a virus like SARS-CoV 2, the case is pretty straightforward as it is dangerous enough to make anyone who isn't unhinged by conspiracy theories actively want the vaccine. Those who say that as they are young and strong and don't need it are basically like people getting HIV in the early 80's and deliberately having unsafe sex with as many others as possible. It really is manslaughter at the very least. It seems that the viral vector vaccines—AZ and J&J—are the ones with any meaningful risk attached. If you'll permit me to use UK figures again, as they have used lots of the AZ and never paused it at all, plus they actually collect reliable statistics, the risk of death from CVST syndrome after the AZ vaccine is 9.6 per million doses. If those same million people had no vaccine, took their chance, some of them catch Covid-19 and some of those will die. A lot more than 9.6: the UK reports 120k cumulative Covid-19 deaths, with a total population of 68 million (not all of whom have been infected of course), which is 1764 deaths/million. Given an odds ratio of 1:183, you have to ask yourself the Dirty Harry question. I don't feel that lucky!

I'd like to tell you I have put my money where my mouth is, but I'm in a curious position with regard to immunity right now: I have the immune system of a newborn as when you get someone else's stem cells they know nothing of the immunities acquired by their descendants in the original owner's body. Maybe less well-equipped than a newborn in that I didn't get any transplacental antibodies or colostrum! I have to wait six months after transplant to get any vaccinations at all, and there is a full schedule of all the childhood vaccinations to be done in quite a hurry, sometimes five different things in a day. I cannot have a live virus vaccine, such as MMR, until two years post-transplant, because of the risk the weakened virus will be triumphant over my even more weakened immune system. So that means that come mid-August, the first thing I should be looking for is a Pfizer of Moderna vaccine, as the AZ and J&J are live virus vaccines. Then I can get stuck into polio, pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, H.influenzae, S.pneumonii, meningococcus etc. It's a curious thing to think that I have never had even a cold! So I'm under house arrest until I'm immunised against all the above, whatever happens with our current strict lockdown.
Even if i agree to every word of Screwtape's long reply, not a single word addressed the specific claims made in the Bret Weinstein clip which 3FJ posted.

If mass vaccination *during* a pandemic makes the disease more deadly, then getting vaccinated is... genocide! Which is worse than manslaughter. Worse than mansplaining, even. Ree3eeee!!1!

John D

Post by John D »

In a good mood today.

1) I am only 59.5 yo. I keep worrying about the markets and if I should stay in stocks. A good friend says.... "You are young... you are gonna live to be 95. What the fuck are you worried about"? Okay. One problem solved. Stay in the market till I am 70... at least. I have time to recover from a bubble.

2) The commies on NPR actually said the ban on Trump from Twitter is a bad idea and that he should have free access to media. No shit. I almost couldn't believe my ears. Now that the tottering fool Biden is in office the commies may start to come around to some basic truths.

3) It was too cold for excellent birding today... but it was nice enough to see Yellow Warblers, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Palm Warblers, Black and White Warblers, Blue Grey Gnatcatchers, and a host of others. A good day to walk with two of my good friends in the woods... and to point at birds. A joy... even in bad weather. The park netted a Red-winged Blackbird that was 10 years old today... as proven by its leg band.

4) Next weekend I join some friends touring Western Michigan wineries. Outdoor tables and good wine. Michigan makes some very fine wine, but the wineries don't normally make enough to make a big splash in the market. Mostly small vineyards privately owned. But... the best wine out of these small places is as good as anything out of Europe or CA. Michigan is really one of the best states in the Union.

5) In a few weeks I will backpack for a week in the Porcupine Mountains. Now... these are barely mountains by most standards, but they do rise to over 1000 feet above the clear blue waters of Lake Superior. Amazing lake views and beautiful rocky streams to hike along. Sleeping in the open on the edge of an 800 foot cliff face. It's gonna be great.... and it will help me cleanse from my excessive drinking.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Today at the Brooklyn fish market-- a woman was wearing a ballcap embroidered with the name of an obscure hilly area near Georgia O'Keeffe's Ghost Ranch. That area was my family's land, decreed by Spain. (Father's side.) I didn't say anything to her. Half an hour later, another customer was wearing a Future Farmers of America jacket-- embroidered with the name of a Chapter-- a short drive South of my Grandparent's (then Uncle's/& now Cousin's) midwestern farm. (Mother's side.) I would have asked if the jacket-wearer was really from-there, but she slipped-away into the crowd.
Just an odd bit of synchronicity. Meaning... very little.

Another jacket also caught my eye...

https://miblogestublog.com/2017/03/14/m ... t-fashion/

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
I'm sorry for your predicament, and wish you a full recovery. But are you really demanding that the entire rest of the fucking world get vaccinated so you can wander about three months early? Since pretty much any infectious disease could kill you, are we also expected to get every single vaccination?
Certainly not. I'd be stuck here just the same if the pandemic had never occurred, and if it magically goes away tomorrow I'm still in isolation. Given that plenty of young people, children even, have died of Covid-19 I don't see how you can smugly say 'everyone who needs the vaccine has now had the opportunity to get it.'
As for '99.99% odds of surviving', look again at the UK data. Those 1764 deaths per million is per one million total population, and they didn't all catch it. If you catch it, it will be higher. They have had 4.43 million positive swabs from a total population of 68 million. So those 120,000 deaths are distributed among 4.43 million people, which is 2.7% death rate, or 270 times more than your proposed death rate of 0.01%. Now 2.7% is much higher than most estimates, but those are the numbers we have. Presumably there were some asymptomatic people who survived without recording a positive test along the way, which would maybe cut that rate in half, if half the cases are asymptomatic.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

screwtape wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Certainly not. I'd be stuck here just the same if the pandemic had never occurred, and if it magically goes away tomorrow I'm still in isolation. Given that plenty of young people, children even, have died of Covid-19 I don't see how you can smugly say 'everyone who needs the vaccine has now had the opportunity to get it.'
What do you mean by "plenty"? There are single digit deaths "with covid" in the 0-5 and 5-9 categories in the UK. In the 10-19 category there were 18 deaths "with covid". How few deaths would there have to be to fall below "plenty"?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... and-report
screwtape wrote: As for '99.99% odds of surviving', look again at the UK data. Those 1764 deaths per million is per one million total population, and they didn't all catch it. If you catch it, it will be higher. They have had 4.43 million positive swabs from a total population of 68 million. So those 120,000 deaths are distributed among 4.43 million people, which is 2.7% death rate, or 270 times more than your proposed death rate of 0.01%. Now 2.7% is much higher than most estimates, but those are the numbers we have. Presumably there were some asymptomatic people who survived without recording a positive test along the way, which would maybe cut that rate in half, if half the cases are asymptomatic.
Back on the 18th of January the ONS was estimating that 1 in 7 people in England had Covid antibodies. That's about 8 million people
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... bruary2021
At that point England had had about 90,000 deaths "within 28 days of a positive test". That gives a mortality rate of about 1.1%. How useful that is, I don't know though given that those numbers are overwhelmingly concentrated in the old, the overweight and people with significant health issues. You've also got the issue of covid spreading through nursing homes and hospitals skewing the mortality stats. For the bulk of the population, the risk of death is close to zero.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

fafnir wrote: At that point.... close to zero.
Continuing on from where fafnir left off... I'd add that the mortality rate isn't constant. The rate was higher before doctors figured-out which treatments work, which are counterproductive, which have no effect.

And mortality was higher-- before mass-exposure meant more people-who-test-positive now have partial immunity-- resulting in less-severe symptoms, the 2nd time around.
screwtape wrote: They have had 4.43 million positive swabs from a total population of...
What was the threshold for those swabs to be deemed 'positive'? Here in the US, they're dropping the threshold to 24 cycles, when testing people who got the jab... but get tested afterward. Which makes mockery of the data-- since a threshold was 38 or 40 cycles was used in 2020, before the jab was made available. Comparing the old rate of positive tests to the new rate-- only shows the test has changed/ not how effective the jab is.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Fucking SNP...*mumbles in angry tartan*

:evil:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Conservatives win Monkeytown...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57019456

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: Fucking SNP...*mumbles in angry tartan*

Service Not Provided

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: Conservatives win Monkeytown...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57019456
Fucking SNP...*gnashing teeth*

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape wrote: plenty of young people, children even, have died of Covid-19

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote: Fucking SNP...*mumbles in angry tartan*

No love for Wee Jeanette Krankie?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: No love for Wee Jeanette Krankie?
Can't stand the xenophobic arsehole and her cultish followers.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Bhurzum wrote:
You spelled 'cuntish followers' wrong. :twatson:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

dog puke wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
You spelled 'cuntish followers' wrong. :twatson:
https://media4.giphy.com/media/3o7bu9Zf ... /giphy.gif

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote: As for '99.99% odds of surviving', look again at the UK data. Those 1764 deaths per million is per one million total population, and they didn't all catch it. If you catch it, it will be higher. They have had 4.43 million positive swabs from a total population of 68 million. So those 120,000 deaths are distributed among 4.43 million people, which is 2.7% death rate, or 270 times more than your proposed death rate of 0.01%. Now 2.7% is much higher than most estimates, but those are the numbers we have. Presumably there were some asymptomatic people who survived without recording a positive test along the way, which would maybe cut that rate in half, if half the cases are asymptomatic.
What fafnir said.

It's silly to look at the IFR in aggregate. Unless you are elderly, morbidly obese, diabetic, or immune-compromised, your survival rate is virtually one hundred percent.

Not only does it make no fucking sense to vaccinate anyone for whom catching the real thing is not a danger, there's this bit about mass vaccinations spurring the evolution of vaccine-resistant mutations.

If I didn't know better, I'd think they were intentionally trying to perpetuate this pandemic indefinitely.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: What do you mean by "plenty"? There are single digit deaths "with covid" in the 0-5 and 5-9 categories in the UK. In the 10-19 category there were 18 deaths "with covid". How few deaths would there have to be to fall below "plenty"?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... and-report
271 in the US as of last month, out of 3 million tested positive.

But hey, let's vaccinate all 72 million kids just to be safe. To do otherwise would be "unhinged."

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Skeptics Guide just celebrated 16 years.

They did an extended backslap and reminisce. Cara was gushed over. Perry (RIP) got a mention.

There was one name loudly avoided ...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Anyone who said “any plan is better than no plan” was an idiot.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Wes Anderson's 'Isle of Dogs' is an amazingly prescient & subversive film.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Thomas Nashe and Ben Jonson's Isle of Dogs is lost, but apparently it was about all those munters in England.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I got a request from a friend for lay-person reading on evo psych. Any suggestions?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I got a request from a friend for lay-person reading on evo psych. Any suggestions?
https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compre ... 828356.jpg

/MuffledSniggering

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Thomas Nashe and Ben Jonson's Isle of Dogs is lost, but apparently it was about all those munters in England.
Probably more bankers than Millwall supporters there these days.

And on a (not quite) unrelated note...