Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by fafnir »

How dare you criticise the media. Give them an opportunity to respond:

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Keating wrote: Isn’t that what you’d expect when the vast majority of patients are in their 70s, 80s and 90s?
Ages ago, I worked in the office of the Visiting Nurses. They'd invite me to join them for lunch. Which I rarely could finish because of their shop talk. There's one anecdote in particular about an elderly woman's catheter I'll never purge from my psyche.

What's turning my stomach right now is all this whining and bitching from healthcare workers. Obviously these diatribes are being collected and disseminated as agitprop, but they do reflect a preexisting sentiment of a certain percentage in the field. Supercilious nannies, who attend to the inferior masses not out of a desire to do good, but to demonstrate their superiority -- and, I suspect, as some cosmic moral quid pro quo.

Given that something like two-thirds of nurses are ... morbidly obese, they probably should shut the fuck up and get back to doing their job.
This post officially makes you a cunt. Cunt.
Nurses are the worst. I agree. Several points about nurses.

1) They think they know way more than they do. Many nurses are actually dangerous in that they tell patients things that are completely false. My cousin was a nurse who actually thought Fibromyalgia was fake. She would do everything she could to deny pain meds to people because she thought they were faking their pain. This little bubble burst when she developed Fibromyalgia for herself. Payback is a bitch.

2) Nurses claim they went into their profession to help people, but most of them are engaged in a kind of control struggle. They feel they are heroically saving the world because they have this thing called empathy. But, they hold this over everyone's head... like they are a superior loving person. Hey bitch.... if you hate your job go to school, learn something else, and get a new job. I am not interested in hearing you bitch about your work. Do your job with honor and honesty or shut the fuck up.

3) My personal behavior is none of your fucking business. Do your God damned job. Don't preach to me while you go home and drink yourself to death (in the case of my cousin). And.... don't deny me service because you make judgements on me. Fuck off! You provide shitty care to everyone you wish to because they are "mean" or they are "snooty" or they are "boring" or they are "not sweet". Seriously... just fuck off.

4) The last thing I want to do is die with a bunch of fucking nurses around. Please...please...please let me have enough mental clarity to walk out of the hospital and blow my fucking head off.

My favorite nurse...to be fair... is a tiny Russian phlebotomist. She just takes blood at my doctor's office. She is a mean little thing so my wife and kids don't like her. But... she can take your blood in an instant... and with no pain. I have never experienced her equal. My kids don't like to see her because of her abruptness and style. And... I always compliment her on her skill. I say... "You do fantastic work. I didn't feel a thing. Thank you. You are really great at your work". I hope it gives her some pleasure that at least I can appreciate what she really does.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Off the farm and away from the Shane-tree stumps … there’s very little evidence that America is anything but a chronically sick nation.

https://www.jeffnobbs.com/posts/what-ca ... ic-disease
There's no denying that, by any measure, America is growing steadily less healthy overall. But your insinuation, that this general, chronic unhealthiness is a significant contributing factor to covid hospitalizations and deaths, is belied by the data.

Now, I have one big problem with that nobb's essay: he looks at everything in aggregate. He seems bemused how more than half of Americans exercise regularly, and six in ten eat 'healthy', yet six in ten still have chronic diseases. He seems to falsely assume that those chronic diseases are spread evenly throughout the population.

He should've broken it out by demographics.
- Age: for most of the chronic illnesses he mentions, cancer especially, onset tends to be later in life;

- Geo region: The Midwest and Delta South have the most obesity, both due to traditional diets. The Midwest, farmer's fare uff da still consumed by clerks and call center agents. The deep South, poverty food;

- Race: Put simply, a lot of black folks are really really fat. They either eat that horrible southern cuisine, or now junk food. Hispanics eat a lot of peasant food, and also are disproportionately overweight.

Until he accounts for these and other demographic factors, his conclusion, that 'healthy eating' must be redefined, cannot be accepted.
Per my post #1760, I was discounting the explanatory power of “comorbidity’ - pointing out that metabolic dysfunction is baseline typical in the United States. As a country in the whole.

Nobb is similarly interested in population level trends, though your criticism holds if you apply such trends to any given individual or specific subset. There’s relevance to asking “why did ‘Germany’ adopt Nazism” even if the White Rose society - and Berlin in general - gave you side eye.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Brive1987 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 pm
Per my post #1760, I was discounting the explanatory power of “comorbidity’ - pointing out that metabolic dysfunction is baseline typical in the United States. As a country in the whole.

Nobb is similarly interested in population level trends, though your criticism holds if you apply such trends to any given individual or specific subset. There’s relevance to asking “why did ‘Germany’ adopt Nazism” even if the White Rose society - and Berlin in general - gave you side eye.
Totally on board with the vegetable oil idea and general metabolic problems which are deleterious to the immune system. Doesn't discount the correlation between salient comorbidities and Covid susceptibility. The statistical Covid spikes for the various conditions remain whatever the background level of health. To quote sadhguru, if you see a man drowning in a cesspool do you lift the man out or drain the cesspool? Much profound. Improving the general health is a luvverly idea, but perhaps not going to happen in the short term in the middle of a pandemic with people too busy dodging megalomaniacs armed with needles.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: My favorite nurse...to be fair... is a tiny Russian phlebotomist.
I'm sure that when she squeezes your sphygmomanometer tight you get a tingling in your extremities.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 pm

Totally on board with the vegetable oil idea and general metabolic problems which are deleterious to the immune system. Doesn't discount the correlation between salient comorbidities and Covid susceptibility. The statistical Covid spikes for the various conditions remain whatever the background level of health. To quote sadhguru, if you see a man drowning in a cesspool do you lift the man out or drain the cesspool? Much profound. Improving the general health is a luvverly idea, but perhaps not going to happen in the short term in the middle of a pandemic with people too busy dodging megalomaniacs armed with needles.
If you haven’t sorted yourself out while faced with COVID and cocooned in your own kitchen, well away from the imposed food environment …. well it ain’t gonna happen. Ever. Certainly not when it’s back to busy commuter life, fast food courts and refined-carb based pub meals.

Instead of blowing money on testing and hand rich-companies unnecessary handouts, there should have been mandated exercise and freely delivered meat, cheese, Greek yoghurt, berries, butter, eggs and bacon.

With body-fat based digital passports and personal scoring.

Fascism has its uses.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Not suggesting of course that “you” hadn’t sorted yourself out.

It was a generic challenge.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: So, do sceptics feel that this is fake news?

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... es-deaths/

Looks legit to me. Seems to match things I've posted-- such as the Oxford doctor who headed the AstraZeneca team-- saying the vax had failed & UK policy should shift to coping with Covid as a fait accompli.

It even matches the 'Doctor of Functional Medicine' who warned that 'animal reservoirs' of Covid would circumvent even the most-perfect effort to vaccinate humans. https://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... al#p504417

From Lsuoma's link:
"Health experts have long argued that if the state’s and/or the nation’s vaccination rate did not reach a high enough level, COVID-19 would become endemic, meaning it would be regularly found and not eradicated. On Tuesday, Dr. Steven Nemerson, chief clinical officer at Saint Alphonsus Health System, told reporters at a Health and Welfare briefing that the virus is here to stay.
“Today I’m here to tell you that we’ve lost the war,” Nemerson said. “The reason it is here to stay is because we cannot vaccinate enough of the public to fully eradicate the disease. And absent being able to do that … we now need to move into the phase of recognizing that COVID is going to be a disease to be managed for the long-term future.”

I'm curious what Lsuoma thinks this article says... what point it proves? Does Lsuoma think the article is true only-of low-vax-rate Idaho... and there's some vaccinated paradise somewhere-else... where a local population eradicated Covid via high-enough vax rate?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I did the fatlady job today.

After much anxiety-- no one asked for proof of vax, no temperature check, nothing to sign... even the wearing of masks-- just faded away as the day progressed.

Then venue is in-business with the DNC for their campaign events... and with Kamala's daughter's modelling contract... plus a bunch of pro-vax celebs... so I thought they might be rigorous. But nope. It's all just a big empty show of fake-compliance on-paper & in press releases.

5 hours into the day... some young chick tried to make me sign some sort of waiver on an iPad. When asked what it's for... she claimed to not even know. Younger workers signed it. I started reading... it was really egregious... waiving ALL rights to pursue ANY matter in a court... if ya don't get paid, if you get intentionally maimed, if something on the job terminates your pregnancy. I was standing right next to the fatlady... who is about 23 months pregnant... and asked her if she signed it. She claimed to not have even read it or know what it said.

I asked if it was mandatory.... she & the iPad chick said 'no'. So I laughed and said, "Well that's good, because this is ridiculous." When i entered via the loading dock... a guy I got hired was at a folding-table, checking-in vendors. A box of paper wristbands was on the table, so I just put one on, to be safe. Didn't even know what it indicated. But... whatever it meant/ I didn't feel like doing whatever you're supposed-to do to qualify. Just give me the wristband.

When I refused to sign the silly document... the iPad girl drew a little circle on my wristband. I said "What does that mean?" She said, "That means you get zero points today."

Hours later-- I learned her husband is deployed in the Marine Corps... and they're not happy with How That's Going. No further specifics offered. So I wonder if-- behind her paper mask-- she was glad to see me refuse to sign.

I took some pics of the iPad. Stuff like this...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

New globalist NSW Premier has opened the State’s international borders up with no need for local quarantining - if you are double vax.

This might sound oh so liberal. But no. Despite his exclamation that we will be going to “Bali before we get to Broome” this is really about BAU globalism. Got to get an uninterrupted stream of immigrants and foreign students back into the place.

Again. 🤨

Global Fascism is truly the worst sort.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: If you haven’t sorted yourself out while faced with COVID and cocooned in your own kitchen, well away from the imposed food environment …. well it ain’t gonna happen. Ever. Certainly not when it’s back to busy commuter life, fast food courts and refined-carb based pub meals.

Instead of blowing money on testing and hand rich-companies unnecessary handouts, there should have been mandated exercise and freely delivered meat, cheese, Greek yoghurt, berries, butter, eggs and bacon.

Fascism has its uses.
The alternatives seem more appetising....

...better food too.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

fafnir wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: So is there anyone currently posting here that identifies as not Right of, not Centrist, but actually Left of Centre?
What do you mean by Left and Right?
Good question.

You may take it as implied in the original post.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:36 pm
Brive1987 wrote: If you haven’t sorted yourself out while faced with COVID and cocooned in your own kitchen, well away from the imposed food environment …. well it ain’t gonna happen. Ever. Certainly not when it’s back to busy commuter life, fast food courts and refined-carb based pub meals.

Fascism has its uses.

...better food too.
Rhubarb Tart is to diabetes as “Rosie the Tart” was to crotch rot.

Designed to appeal …

John D

Post by John D »

Nigga wants baby equity.... yo. Civilization as we know it may be at an end.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:

Fascism has its uses.

...better food too.
and Rene' Descartes was a drunken fart. "I drink, therefore I am"!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: ...Rosie the Tart...
Well, I'm not going to shame women for choosing to conform to gender norms and/or take on traditional roles.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: metabolic dysfunction is baseline typical in the United States. As a country in the whole.
Fine. But it's not correlated to severity of covid reactions.
FTR, in November, 1932, the NSDAP received 33% of the vote nationally, about 6% in Berlin. (Which also voted heavily commie, so no great bragging rights there.)

The Nobbsian argument as I understand it:

P1: Most Americans exercise, don't smoke, and eat heathy;
P2: Yet most Americans still have some form of chronic disease;
C: Therefore, "Healthy Eating" must be redefined to conform to the diet I advocate.

If you want to claim that bad diet is making young people sick who'd otherwise be healthy, you must first exclude from your data primarily geriatric diseases. Type I Diabetes is out as well.

Then you'd need examine to what extent certain diseases are correlated to obesity. But we already know the answer -- those with poor diet and obesity are far more likely to have chronic diseases than those who've adopted the traditionally-defined 'healthy' diet.

It's statistical sleight-of-hand on par with:

P1: Most Americans aren't on birth control;
P2: Yet most Americans never get pregnant;
C: Therefore, birth control is not very useful for preventing pregnancy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: The political compass test is weird. I mean questions like this:
"A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."
Do some people disagree with this, or is it looking for people who are just answer the question based on who the good guy is?
I'm encountering an ever growing number of people who openly assert that. And they're all on the Left. And, yes, they assume the one party will be their party.

It's like it's written by normies who think Ben Shapiro is edgy.
IIRC, by libertarians.

I find the test of some use, yields consistent results, and is far superior to any single-axis measure.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Nurses are the worst. I agree. Several points about nurses.
I won't generalize about all nurses, as I've encountered some truly awesome ones. Some of them, however -- and some doctors, too -- do fit your profile:
Nurses claim they went into their profession to help people, but most of them are engaged in a kind of control struggle. They feel they are heroically saving the world because they have this thing called empathy. But, they hold this over everyone's head... like they are a superior loving person.

I wrote about our County health officer, who's supposedly this kind, caring saint, who in the sixties drove his VW bus to Africa to inoculate poor Nigerian chillin', and who can't be bad because he attends church yada yada. And whose only concern is for the health of his fellow citizens. Yet who joked about wanting to shoot anyone without a mask, and who forced the cancellation of our county's biggest event, after he got miffed that no one wore masks to our county fair. (And surely was furious that no case spike followed the fair.)

For these types, it never was about caring, but rather control and a derived sense of superiority. As evidence, a growing list of, 'we care so much about your health, you must die':

UCHealth Denies Kidney Transplant To Unvaccinated Woman & Donor

Ohio woman with stage 4 liver disease denied lifesaving transplant surgery over vax requirement

Cleveland Clinic Bans Severely Ill Ohio Man From Kidney Transplant Because The Donor Isn’t Vaccinated

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
fafnir wrote: The political compass test is weird. I mean questions like this:
"A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."
Do some people disagree with this, or is it looking for people who are just answer the question based on who the good guy is?
I'm encountering an ever growing number of people who openly assert that. And they're all on the Left. And, yes, they assume the one party will be their party.
Sure. But are you saying that if you are only concerned about getting some particular piece of progress done, whether it be running a road through some area of town, or forced bussing.... doing that as a one party state isn't easier than doing it democratically. The question isn't "do you want to live in a one party state" or "are one party states better than democratic ones".

It looks to me like the answer to their question is obviously "yes". That doesn't mean I would say a one party state is better which surely is a question of political ideology. The only way I can see the questions making sense is if, rather than answering them as questions, one looks at in a partisan/ideological way and says even if the question makes no sense, which side would I rather signal on.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
It's like it's written by normies who think Ben Shapiro is edgy.
IIRC, by libertarians.
Normie libertarians.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I find the test of some use, yields consistent results, and is far superior to any single-axis measure.
I'm disputing the result is meaningful, it being consistent doesn't make it better.

John D

Post by John D »

Another reason why I drift off to sleep and imagine Julieanne is snoozing next to me.

I think Deloris would have liked this.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

OK, I pulled my finger out and looked it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Polit ... 0left%20to
So, left/right is just about whether you want a collective / centralised economy, or an individualistic one. The authoritarian / libertarian one is supposed to be the cultural axis.

I don't think this is what most people mean by "Left and Right". For myself, I normally think about whether or not one believes in the practical desirability / attainability of some version of the utopia that the French Revolution claimed to be about. Most people see social policy as left or right wing. The definition used in the political compass test seems very domain specific to the libertarian understanding of the world.

In terms of social policy, lets take an example.... I think abortion is generally a moral evil .... which I think most people would see as right wing, but I think it is problematic how one would go about implementing a ban. Am I libertarian, or authoritarian?

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

An example of the problem.... feudal England. If I understand it correctly, you'd have had tithes to the church and the Lord of the Manor. The economy certainly wasn't individualistic until you start to get the development of towns, and even then prices and what you can do are quite closely controlled by guilds. Notionally at least, things were kind of arranged on the model of the family where there would be obligations going in both directions. Are we saying 12th Century England was left wing? Only in a very specific sense.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: I don't think this is what most people mean by "Left and Right". For myself, I normally think about whether or not one believes in the practical desirability / attainability of some version of the utopia that the French Revolution claimed to be about.
'Left' used to be equated with liberalism, individual freedom, questioning authority and distrusting the government. But it's not automatically so. As the French Revolution and The Terror showed, there can also be authoritarian left. The Left today are increasingly authoritarian.
I think abortion is generally a moral evil .... which I think most people would see as right wing, but I think it is problematic how one would go about implementing a ban. Am I libertarian, or authoritarian?
Libertarian-Right. The Authoritarian Right wants to ban abortions, while the Authoritarian Left wants to force nuns to pay for abortions.

Two axes are better than one.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Libertarian-Right. The Authoritarian Right wants to ban abortions, while the Authoritarian Left wants to force nuns to pay for abortions.

Two axes are better than one.
Haha. I love this last comment. Most people are victims of black and white thinking.

One of my good friends was talking about the uncontroversial subject of abortion. Now that I am older, I like to think I am wise enough to say "Well.... abortion is a tricky subject." But, my good old friend just said "Woman's body... woman's choice." and I said... "Well, let me ask you a hypothetical. What if a woman has a c-section scheduled... and a week before the c-section she tells her doctor she will be mentally traumatized if she has the c-section. So, are you saying she can have a abortion one week before a scheduled c-section?" and he says REALLY LOUD..."Woman's body... woman's choice!". And I'm like "Really? Are you really telling me you think it is ethical, as a Christian yourself, that this fully formed baby should be aborted?" Holy shit. Some of my friends around where giving me the look... like the .... oh fuck John... you didn't just go there. And my friend says louder than ever "Woman's body.... woman's choice!" Haha. And everyone at the party is like WTF! and my wife gets really pissed at me..... and says why don't you get along better with Dale?.... and I'm like.... "Dale is a fucking idiot."

Haha. This is why I have a few really good friends.... but only a few. If you can't admit that the abortion topic is complex you are a fool. I am not saying I know the answer.... but it is not as simple as chanting "Woman's body... woman's choice!"

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
fafnir wrote: I don't think this is what most people mean by "Left and Right". For myself, I normally think about whether or not one believes in the practical desirability / attainability of some version of the utopia that the French Revolution claimed to be about.
'Left' used to be equated with liberalism, individual freedom, questioning authority and distrusting the government. But it's not automatically so. As the French Revolution and The Terror showed, there can also be authoritarian left. The Left today are increasingly authoritarian.
In the terror they were supposedly using authoritarian methods to secure "liberalism, individual freedom....". What do you mean by the "Left" today? Were the fascists/nazis on the left? Was 12th Century England on the left? Left and Right are hopelessly muddled terms.

Reducing left / right down to economics seems incredibly narrow to me. It looks like it comes from a libertarian conception of politics where we have one axis that is individual freedom in economics, and another axis that is individual freedom in government. The naming of the left / right axis just confuses the issue.

That ignores the poorly written questions which I think are dragging in other notions of left and right.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
I think abortion is generally a moral evil .... which I think most people would see as right wing, but I think it is problematic how one would go about implementing a ban. Am I libertarian, or authoritarian?
Libertarian-Right. The Authoritarian Right wants to ban abortions, while the Authoritarian Left wants to force nuns to pay for abortions.
Why would that be when left and right is purely a question of economics? Abortion isn't a left/right issue. Just like me, you are interpreting left and right differently to the political compass.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Two axes are better than one.
Not necessarily. You have to choose the right axes. As it stands, this looks to me like a libertarian version of 'question framing'.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Interesting, wikipedia claims that it was originally developed by One World Action, a charity established by Glenys Kinnock, wife or the former leader of the British Labour Party.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Political_Compass

The Kinnocks came up through the old working class Left, and then went off to Brussels and the EU gravy train. Their version of the Left was very focused on economics, so it would make sense from that perspective.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Somali goat herder immigrant kills top conservative UK politician/MP.

How very inconvenient. 😐

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58930593

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: ...Rosie the Tart...
Well, I'm not going to shame women for choosing to conform to gender norms and/or take on traditional roles.
On the Madonna/ whore dichotomy, positive tradcon would choose family. Not all traditions are desirable - “go ask the Spartans”

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Brive1987 wrote: Somali goat herder immigrant kills top conservative UK politician/MP.

How very inconvenient. 😐

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58930593

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: Not all traditions are desirable - “go ask the Spartans”
Kevin Spacey might take umbrage to that example.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: Interesting, wikipedia claims that it was originally developed by One World Action, a charity established by Glenys Kinnock, wife or the former leader of the British Labour Party.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Political_Compass

The Kinnocks came up through the old working class Left, and then went off to Brussels and the EU gravy train. Their version of the Left was very focused on economics, so it would make sense from that perspective.
Neil Kinnock used to be a speech writer for Joe Biden.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I’m getting a server error on my response to Matt.

Someone’s running scared. 😉

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Luckily I have it saved.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I’ll try without the thread bit.

………

Matt, I’m well aware of the defensive narrative around Nazi election success - and Berlin liberalism. Nonetheless at one level it is 100% accurate to say that for a period Germany was a “Nazi Nation” ™️. That was my point. It’s also amusing how the NSDAP’s skyrocketing progress between 1928 and March 1933 is seen as a failure because they didn’t get 50% vote - as if that’s how German politics worked. 😂🤣 44% was an astronomical result which would have been superlative for any party. The previous record was 38% in 1928 by the Socialists.

Anyway. Nobbs actual argument is also at a population level. There has been a dramatic and escalating increase in metabolic disease in America since the 1970s. Different rates - but across all states, age groups and racial demographics. Yet there has been a significant downshift in the usual suspects, again across the board. ie a move to non satfat oil options, less smoking, less red meat, more emphasis on plants etc etc.

There is a real underlying malaise and it’s new.

So what is it?

His thesis centres on the huge rise in consumption per capita of high energy vegetable oil, “food” which provides no nutritional benefit. Seed oil is key energy component of UPF which aid also bonded to blood sugar ruining refined grain.

This combo sets up energy toxicity leading to IR and metabolic syndrome. It’s not a “adopt my diet” argument - other than maybe not sucking down puddles of industrial lubricant with your fried chicken and muesli bars.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Meh. What do you know. 🤷‍♂️

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: What do you mean by the "Left" today?
There's a long answer and a short answer. The short one is: self-described as such.
Were the fascists/nazis on the left?
Elements of both. Each wished to radically transform their respective societies, yet the transformation was putatively to restore traditional mores and values. But authoritarians don't really care which ideology they exploit, and will change on the fly if advantageous.

Reducing left / right down to economics seems incredibly narrow to me. It looks like it comes from a libertarian conception of politics where we have one axis that is individual freedom in economics, and another axis that is individual freedom in government. The naming of the left / right axis just confuses the issue.
Maybe that's because the left has been associated for so long with Keynesian policies, massive, government-funded social engineering, and micro-managing the economy. I'd run that axis more on social/cultural 'progressive vs. conservative', or whatever terms.

I think the confusion arises because for so long, the distribution of views clustered along a diagonal running from [using the test's terms] libertarian-left to authoritarian-right. We're experiencing a dramatic realignment.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: I’m getting a server error on my response to Matt.

Must be the new cuntblocker feature, as I'm now an official certified Cunt of the Pit.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: I’m getting a server error on my response to Matt.

Must be the new cuntblocker feature, as I'm now an official certified Cunt of the Pit.
We used to get badges for an honour of this scale.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: Matt, I’m well aware of the defensive narrative around Nazi election success - and Berlin liberalism. Nonetheless at one level it is 100% accurate to say that for a period Germany was a “Nazi Nation” ™️. That was my point. It’s also amusing how the NSDAP’s skyrocketing progress between 1928 and March 1933 is seen as a failure because they didn’t get 50% vote - as if that’s how German politics worked. 😂🤣 44% was an astronomical result which would have been superlative for any party. The previous record was 38% in 1928 by the Socialists.
Oh I get all that. But my point was, like with chronic diseases, the prevalence of nazism varied greatly by demographic.

There has been a dramatic and escalating increase in metabolic disease in America since the 1970s. Different rates - but across all states, age groups and racial demographics.
Okay. So increase across the board, but the relative prevalences stayed steady?

His thesis centres on the huge rise in consumption per capita of high energy vegetable oil, “food” which provides no nutritional benefit.
It is in everything now. And it's nasty.
This combo sets up energy toxicity leading to IR and metabolic syndrome.
Define "energy toxicity."

I'm quite willing to accept that vegetable oil causes problems. But to accept it's causing all these chronic diseases, a mechanism must be put forth. And he still needs to look at each type of disease one-by-one and within demographic silos.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Neil Kinnock used to be a speech writer for Joe Biden.
ROFL. On behalf of all three Popes, I absolve you of all your sins for that post.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
There's a long answer and a short answer. The short one is: self-described as such
I'm not sure that one can design a series of questions around self description, other than "are you on the left or the right?" Necessarily these questions assume a set of properties. I'm arguing that those properties don't really relate to the normal meaning of these words. If they are coming from the Kinocks, you are talking about 1980's working class Marxist understandings of the words. Why would that map well onto the culture war definitions? Left / Right certainly doesn't just mean economics in the current context.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Elements of both. Each wished to radically transform their respective societies, yet the transformation was putatively to restore traditional mores and values. But authoritarians don't really care which ideology they exploit, and will change on the fly if advantageous.
Indeed, but given that the right are being accused of being fascists, if the fascists are on the left... then this is starting to get really confusing. I'd say if you take a purely economic view, then they look kind of left wing.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Maybe that's because the left has been associated for so long with Keynesian policies, massive, government-funded social engineering, and micro-managing the economy. I'd run that axis more on social/cultural 'progressive vs. conservative', or whatever terms.
But conservative now would be conserving LGBTQ rights, no? It feels like conservatives should be in between two or more extremes not an extreme. What do you mean by progressive? Whose idea of progress? Richard Spencer's idea of progress or Ilhan Omars? For myself, I think an important axis is constrained vision / unconstrained vision. That feels much less context dependent to me than the other possibilities that I can think of.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I think the confusion arises because for so long, the distribution of views clustered along a diagonal running from [using the test's terms] libertarian-left to authoritarian-right. We're experiencing a dramatic realignment.
Was the libertarian left the one doing forced bussing? Was FDR a libertarian?

Keating

Post by Keating »

I had a bag of chips yesterday for the first time in about a year or so. Felt pretty bad, both morally and physically afterwards. I used house arrest to make a lot of stews and slow cooked meals as I had the time to do so. I did eat a lot of bread too, but it was my own sour dough that I made myself.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Keating wrote: I did eat a lot of bread too, but it was my own sour dough that I made myself.
Did you use your own yeast? I recall seeing a video of a woman who did that.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Well, wild yeast. That's what sour dough is. You just mix water and flour together and leave it out until it ferments basically. Takes about a week to get going, with regular feeding of flour and water. It's much slower to rise and proof than baker's yeast, so breaks down the flour a lot more than commercial bread.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Keating wrote: Well, wild yeast. That's what sour dough is. You just mix water and flour together and leave it out until it ferments basically. Takes about a week to get going, with regular feeding of flour and water. It's much slower to rise and proof than baker's yeast, so breaks down the flour a lot more than commercial bread.
The woman in the video I saw had wild yeast. I think you're supposed to use natural yogurt or something.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Matt, I’m well aware of the defensive narrative around Nazi election success - and Berlin liberalism. Nonetheless at one level it is 100% accurate to say that for a period Germany was a “Nazi Nation” ™️. That was my point. It’s also amusing how the NSDAP’s skyrocketing progress between 1928 and March 1933 is seen as a failure because they didn’t get 50% vote - as if that’s how German politics worked. 😂🤣 44% was an astronomical result which would have been superlative for any party. The previous record was 38% in 1928 by the Socialists.
Oh I get all that. But my point was, like with chronic diseases, the prevalence of nazism varied greatly by demographic.

There has been a dramatic and escalating increase in metabolic disease in America since the 1970s. Different rates - but across all states, age groups and racial demographics.
Okay. So increase across the board, but the relative prevalences stayed steady?

His thesis centres on the huge rise in consumption per capita of high energy vegetable oil, “food” which provides no nutritional benefit.
It is in everything now. And it's nasty.
This combo sets up energy toxicity leading to IR and metabolic syndrome.
Define "energy toxicity."

I'm quite willing to accept that vegetable oil causes problems. But to accept it's causing all these chronic diseases, a mechanism must be put forth. And he still needs to look at each type of disease one-by-one and within demographic silos.
Energy toxicity = excess energy leading to chronic conditions
Fat cells can expand dramatically in size, but they have a limit. As they fill up more and more with fat, they start refusing to store glucose and triglycerides.

If you continue to eat in an energy surplus at that point, you’ll have a problem. Insulin will attempt to signal cells to take up more energy but the cells are already full, which results in high insulin all the time and overflowing energy stores.

When your fat cells have reached their maximum size, and you have exceeded your genetical capacity for growing new cells, excess energy is being stored into your visceral fat. Your waist circumference is a good proxy for this and should always be maximum 0,5 times your body length (mine is 0,41 at the moment).

The more visceral fat you gain, the more insulin resistant you get. Eventually even these visceral fat cells fill up entirely and then your body starts storing fat anywhere it can, including your organs and blood vessels. This is when you have reached your personal fat limit, which is how fat you are capable of getting.

Exceeding this point results in type 2 diabetes, which is the end stage of insulin resistance. In the process to get to this point you are probably slowly developing several of the listed ailments above.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

You need to read this book.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Why-We-Get-Si ... 194883698X

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
There's a long answer and a short answer. The short one is: self-described as such
I'm not sure that one can design a series of questions around self description, other than "are you on the left or the right?" Necessarily these questions assume a set of properties. I'm arguing that those properties don't really relate to the normal meaning of these words. If they are coming from the Kinocks, you are talking about 1980's working class Marxist understandings of the words. Why would that map well onto the culture war definitions? Left / Right certainly doesn't just mean economics in the current context.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Indeed, but given that the right are being accused of being fascists, if the fascists are on the left... then this is starting to get really confusing. I'd say if you take a purely economic view, then they look kind of left wing.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
But conservative now would be conserving LGBTQ rights, no? It feels like conservatives should be in between two or more extremes not an extreme. What do you mean by progressive? Whose idea of progress? Richard Spencer's idea of progress or Ilhan Omars? For myself, I think an important axis is constrained vision / unconstrained vision. That feels much less context dependent to me than the other possibilities that I can think of.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I think the confusion arises because for so long, the distribution of views clustered along a diagonal running from [using the test's terms] libertarian-left to authoritarian-right. We're experiencing a dramatic realignment.
Was the libertarian left the one doing forced bussing? Was FDR a libertarian?
Okay, now my head is spinning.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote: Well, wild yeast. That's what sour dough is. You just mix water and flour together and leave it out until it ferments basically. Takes about a week to get going, with regular feeding of flour and water. It's much slower to rise and proof than baker's yeast, so breaks down the flour a lot more than commercial bread.
What sort of flour ? 🧐

Keating

Post by Keating »

Yeah, I knew you'd ask that. It is high protein white flour. Yeah, I know.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:
All art is quite useless propaganda.

To me the sub Rockwell style always seemed one step away from socialist mural you could find on a Post Office wall or somewhere in South America. Or two steps away from Tom of Finland.

On the one dimensional scale my tastes (as it were) lean more to shit in a tin can as opposed to dogs playing poker. Or the expressionists or the impressionists & Van Gogh etc.

Still for others 'Art' is simply short for Arthur.

Each to their own.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Art exists to excite your passions and emotion. As a bonus it can also make you think.

Good art resonates.

ThreeFlangedJavis

fafnir wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:34 pm
How typically lefty. Never pass up a good opportunity for a nasty diatribe. Employed immigrants bashing the country that gave them employment that their own dysfunctional homelands couldn't, bitterly insulting their hosts in all kinds of ways as if they should be grateful for their presence and as if they are the main target for immigration resistance. All you need to know about how nasty that little bitter and twisted rant was is that Jerry Coyne thought it was "touching".

Fact is that foreign NHS employees have it good, usually with so many benefits compared to where they came from. The NHS trains a lot of foreign doctors as well. It's just another symptom of the elitist attitude, more concerned with the welfare of the 3rd World than the aspirations of capable locals denied a career in medicine because it's cheaper to import doctors and nurses. I don't have anything against the foreign workers themselves, aside from the types on display in the vid, it's just that there are so many of them in a country which should have the capacity to train it's own.

ThreeFlangedJavis

How endemic is globalist ideology in the media and corporate world? Is it a small number of multi-nationals and multi-billionaires directing the rest? Does that offer any hope or make the current order more intractable?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Great essay on art and Zeitgeist:

Rising Above Sentimentality
Clues in America’s art of the past give us unsentimental insights into the unsentimental people we used to be.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/10/06/risi ... mentality/

Huntsman and Dogs.jpg
(826.01 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The history of the covid vaccine's effectiveness in two minutes:

https://rumble.com/vnouq3-twitter-user- ... icacy.html

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I'm listening to 'The Fourth Age', a YouTuber who comments-on the comic book industry.

He says Marvel doesn't want to hire actual lifelong fans of Marvel comics... because those fans have knowledge-of and respect-for the decades of storytelling which came-before... so fans-turned-pro are an obstacle when Disney/Netflix/Sony wants to do Whatever They Want with longstanding characters and fictional worlds. They don't want a consumer audience of 'true fans', either. They want casual dabblers.

A lightbulb flickered in my brain & I realized-- the same is true in all-sorts of industries and governments. No one with a passion for the US Constitution can be allowed to define govt policies which might defy the Constitution. No one versed in history can be allowed a mass platform to comment on current events.

Rather than a mastermind intentionally creating a progressive globalist fuck-topia ... the same result is achieved by job interviews with nothing-but short-sighted expedient motives: Avoid 'difficult',passionate, knowledgeable staff... hire a bunch of compliant know-nothings... and Voila!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esirCJLVbsY

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

As a corporation Marvel comics have been happy to exploit creators - if they are going to cut their own throats now it may be appropriate, if not Timely.

Kid.jpg
(53.26 KiB) Downloaded 49 times